Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Sig Cap 231 EX ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Sig Cap 231 EX ARF

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 02:02 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sig Cap 231 EX ARF

anyone have any exp with this plane? I was looking at it and was thinking about getting it but have not found too much info on it.

SPECS: Wingspan: 73"
Wing Area: 962.5 sq in (6.68 sq ft)
Fuselage Length: 65.5"
Flying Weight: 10.5 - 11.5lb
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58257.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	77945  
Old 11-27-2003, 09:51 PM
birdnest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Cap 231 EX ARF

Fun airplane. Easy to build except hinging, for which the electric hinge cutter really helps. Looks nice at the field. I used a Saito 150 on it. What did you want to know?

Peter
Old 11-27-2003, 10:14 PM
SunShyne

how does it do aerobatics? Can do any mild 3D? Id love to see pics of your plane and close ups of the control surfaces.

thanks
Old 11-28-2003, 01:38 PM
birdnest

I tend to do more pattern/sport flying, rolling circles, knife edge, lomchevok (?) it does these well. Doubt it will do a knife edge loop. Maybe. I haven't done a lot of 3d. I have standard servo arms and stock control hardware on it, that limits things. I need to put on longer servo arms and then practice that stuff more. I can play around with hovering and torque rolls, but not great. It is not overpowered with a saito 150. Nicely powered. My sense is that there is a lot of choices in this size and perhaps someone else with more 3d experience can help you out.

Peter
Old 11-28-2003, 04:35 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These are great flyers. I had a SuperTigre 2500 in mine (currently waiting for a recover). If you want the "Killer Setup" use a Moki 1.80. Mine would do some 3D. It will knife edge loop with full rudder and the Moki 1.80, seen it done. I was not brave enough to try it with mine. They are nice sport planes with the Moki 1.35 also, seen that setup as well. The other nice way to go is with the big Saito engines. Watch the amount of throw you use. If you have any type of hard landing, check the fuse where the wing dowels go in, this area is prone to crack then just come apart. After having a hard landing due to a servo failure, I checked mine and it had cracked. Repaired it and flew it ALOT more. How did I learn about this? Watched one come apart after some idiot who had no place flying one of these, slammed his on the deck and continued to fly it anyway. Well it came apart in 3 pieces. The Saito 1.80 went screaming into the ground! Everything was a total loss. This was his second plane and he WOULD NOT listen to the advice of others or the manual regarding throws. That's why he slammed the deck. OK, enough on that, buy it, fly it, you WILL enjoy it. Good Luck!
Old 11-28-2003, 08:46 PM
mikejdad
My Feedback: (39)

My son has one & it flies fine with an OS 160FX. He did have some problems with aileron servo (flutter). He didn't seal hing gaps! You need to seal those gaps for sure.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:27 PM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Matt,

How ya doing on the Giles project? Have you had a chance to get her in the air? Not familiar with the above mentioned airplane, but thought I would ask about the Giles.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:00 AM
SunShyne

ORIGINAL: rfw1953

Hey Matt,

How ya doing on the Giles project? Have you had a chance to get her in the air? Not familiar with the above mentioned airplane, but thought I would ask about the Giles.

Greetings Roger! it has been a month and we have had maybe 1 decent flying day! Weather has gone to heck here and I am hoping to take her out next sunday for maiden. I have dragged my tail on this one but I will tell you one thing...the amount of good suggestions, and feedback I got really will make this an exciting exp for me. All the mods and ideas you and the gang provided are second to non! So hopefull the weather will break soon and she will go up. Dont worry I will have plenty of pics and video of this!

I ended up changing a few things after I put it together simply based on feedback in the thread and others I found. The tailwheel got swapped 2 times and I chnaged my mind on servos as well so it was alot of experimenting and I had'nt even left the ground yet!!

kind regards
Old 11-29-2003, 12:09 PM
rfw1953

I have to hand it to you Matt. You sure have done your homework on this model. You asked many good questions and took your time. One thing I thought about when reading your post update on the project. With all the modifications you have made, make sure you check CG before your maiden. I would hate for you to miss this critical point and end up losing her on the first flight over this one. Also, make sure the darn elevators are not set too aggressively. As you have read on multiple post, she will snap if you get too much elevator throw.

I was going to fly this morning, but this cold front brought in wind and cold air. Hasn't been good flying weather over Thanksgiving. Good luck on the maiden and please let me know how it goes.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:00 PM
SunShyne

I have to hand it to you Matt. You sure have done your homework on this model. You asked many good questions and took your time. One thing I thought about when reading your post update on the project. With all the modifications you have made, make sure you check CG before your maiden. I would hate for you to miss this critical point and end up losing her on the first flight over this one. Also, make sure the darn elevators are not set too aggressively. As you have read on multiple post, she will snap if you get too much elevator throw.

I was going to fly this morning, but this cold front brought in wind and cold air. Hasn't been good flying weather over Thanksgiving. Good luck on the maiden and please let me know how it goes.

will do friend. I have learned the hard way on my old aerobats on elevator throw and I am very warry of them now Yes I will CG it at least 34 times before I get going, you can never be too sure [8D]

this Sig CAp has caught my eye but im not sure, looks like a fun plane and an easy winter project. I might wait for the CAP X from Chip Hyde or the 68" YAK from ExtremeFlight. Decisions..decisions...

matt
Old 11-29-2003, 01:28 PM
rfw1953

My next project is a WM Extra that I purchased before I crashed Pitts-I. Then I put the Extra back in the box and bought a new Pitts kit, and as you know, just finished it last weekend with the maiden flight. So, I will be working on the WM as my winter project. Putting an OS 160 FX in this model with Futaba 9202 servos on the movable surfaces. I have read several post where guys say the 160 is a bit light power wise for this airplane. A guy at our field has one with a 160 and it flies very nicely with this engine. Just need to concentrate on keeping it as light as possible during assembly. Good luck with your decision. Hey, what about the U-can do 3-D model or the Funtana?
Old 11-29-2003, 01:44 PM
rockmon

Hey Diablo hurry up and fly the Giles I want to hear what you think of it after all the work and research you have done on yours. I am getting ready to throw some ski's on mine and do some ice flying, it's a great change from flying through the tree's all the time (lots of tree's by our field) in fact it's kind of weird to have all that room close to the ground, I like it. I know you have checked everything so I'm just gonna give you this one more time in case you forgot. The Giles is going to come off the ground a lot sooner than you think, I fly mine alot and it still surprises me sometimes, don't freak just power up level off and fly it out. I say power up because you won't reach half throttle before she starts to fly and when it comes off the ground you won't have enough speed to just fly straight up and away, it will feel like she's going to stall and is very close to doing just that so throw the coals to it first thing and then fly it out. Easy on the sticks my friend and remember to fly her all the time, she's a jelouse plane that demands all your attention in order to have the most fun with her. I hope I'm not sounding like a broken record but I would hate to see something bad happen on your maiden with the Giles because once you get used to it you will love it.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:16 PM
SunShyne

My next project is a WM Extra that I purchased before I crashed Pitts-I. Then I put the Extra back in the box and bought a new Pitts kit, and as you know, just finished it last weekend with the maiden flight. So, I will be working on the WM as my winter project. Putting an OS 160 FX in this model with Futaba 9202 servos on the movable surfaces. I have read several post where guys say the 160 is a bit light power wise for this airplane. A guy at our field has one with a 160 and it flies very nicely with this engine. Just need to concentrate on keeping it as light as possible during assembly. Good luck with your decision. Hey, what about the U-can do 3-D model or the Funtana?
Roger I am puting the finishing touches on the UCANDO 60 as well, it should maiden next week with the Giles

Rockman thanks for the inout, I will be easy on her. I actually having to actually fly the airplane per say. I get in the "zone" and get lost in it the flying.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:39 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

I bought the Sig cap231 a year ago. Had good times with it but it was NEVER my favorite airplane.
I had a Moki 1.80 and JR radio with a gryo on the rudder...which saved me a number of times.
It handles like a "Cap". It is short coupled and I didn't think it was as smooth of flyer as a Extra. I am a old pattern flyer so smoothness matters to me. Do not EVER let the CG get behind what the manual tells you. My first flight was wild with snaps at the bottom of some loops and a snap at the bottom of a split-S....way-far-out. A lot of people had problems with aileron flutter. Sig kit has wing servo's mounted on doors...which wasn't good. I put hard wood rails in wing and used 4-40 ball links and had no problems. Replace wing dowels as they are too soft. Broke "one" of mine doing loops with snap at top with hard maple dowels one size bigger. I am doing this with all my new kits as the dowels are made of mahogany now days. I have some OLD (40 yr's) hard maple dowels left over from my single channel days. Last night I took the "stuff" out of mine to put in P-51. Going on auction at local club.
My advice is, there are better flying planes out there...just my opinion though.
If your a "peddle-to-the-metal" flyer, I guess you will like it??
Old 01-14-2004, 11:31 PM
Blueyonder
My Feedback: (3)

Just ordered a Sig Cap 231 from Tower. Was going back and forth between it and the new GP Gene Soucy Extra 300. I opted for the Sig since it was less $$, plus it's also lighter, and I like the color/decal scheme. I'll be using an OS 160 in it. This is my first 1/4 size bird. (The GP Soucy Extra is sure sweet too from what I've seen on RCU))

So... would welcome any additional comments on the Sig Cap to help reinforce my decision..
Old 01-15-2004, 09:59 AM
Rocketman_

Blueyonder,
If you like a plane that excels at doing spins, inverted flat spins, knife edge, snaps, unlimited vertical climbs and is fun to tumble around the sky then you will like the SIG Cap 231EX with an OS 160 in it. Though it has unlimited vertical performance I don't find it to be easy to hover. It is stable at low speeds and has no scary CAP tendencies during slow landing approaches.
Initially I followed the guidelines in the OS manual for prop selection and used a 16x10 APC prop. It made the plane fly much too fast and made it difficult to slow down and land at a tight flying field. Also, this is not a plane you want to go blasting around at high speeds with, the ailerons will flutter and come off. I tried an 18x8 wood Zinger that I had on hand but I think the plane needs to slowed even more.
Hopefully your CAP will have the newer wing in which the aileron servos are angled so that the push rods are perpendicular to the aileron hinge line. This wing doesn't seem to have a flutter problem.
You said you like the color/decal scheme. Well, there are enough decals to keep you busy applying them for two days. Have fun.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:16 AM
rfw1953

We have aguy who has one of these at our field and Rocketman is right on. Flies very well with the 160. Nice looking airplane too.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:54 PM
Blueyonder

Thanks for the replies!! Sounds like the OS 160 is good engine for this plane. Most of my flying with it will probably be sport/pattern type stuff and then maybe venture into 3d if my skills allow. Good to hear the plane flies well and that the slow speed characteristics are good too. I'm looking forward to seeing the FedEx truck on Saturday.

Thanks again for feedback... gotta love RCU!!
Old 01-17-2004, 10:46 PM
Blueyonder

Here's a pic of her brand new during the initial box opening ceremonies.
I'm going to be using the Tower "System 2000" TS 65 BB high torque servos throughout. Anyone have experience with these servos? Also, any info. on engine, fuel line, on board glow etc setup would be appreciated too. I'm putting the OS 160 in this one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72134.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	91631  
Old 01-18-2004, 12:08 AM
bdtsr

Use a metal gear servo on the rudder and large fuel tubing. I wouldn't go for the onboard glow unless it's something you really want. The engine is mounted on it's side, so its very easy to get to the plug. Start with an 18X6 prop, this will help keep the speed down until you get familiar with the plane. Use a computer radio with dual rates and exponential. If you're not familiarwith these, ask for help. I have seen what can happen with this plane when setup with too much throw and no expo put in. They fly great (mine is being recovered) so I know first hand. Seal the hinge gaps as previously stated. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:28 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fisrt one had ST3250 18x8 CF prop it flew "heavy"

then I went to Saito 180 and 17x6 APC Wow this bird woke up!
Old 03-23-2004, 10:36 AM
RonHill
My Feedback: (1)

How about a G26 on this plane....

I had a friend tell me it would work.

He had one on the midwest cap.

Thoughts...I would like to try a gas plane.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:39 AM
rcoregon

First of all, I have been flying this plane for three years and I love the way this plane flys, so much so that I am on my second one. My first CAP flew deadstick into our windsock and that pretty much destroyed it. At our old paved field (out at the dump) I use to be able to just float in for a three point landing. Not any more. Our new field is grass and I am having a hell of a time landing. First of all let me explain that I am sure it is just my problem. This weekend I tore out the landing gear (nice and clean) after a gentle stall. On final, I am trying to make a smooth glide to the runway at low idle, but the plane balloons (three to six feet off the deck) and then stalls out. It's powered with a Saito 150 which flys it extremely well. Also, I think there is a stronger wind gradient at this field than our old field. Any advise?

Mark Stafford
Eugene RC Aeronauts
Old 03-23-2004, 12:35 PM
RonHill
My Feedback: (1)

a grass strip should not have as much lift as a paved runway. A paved runway will create thermals.

All I can say is it just sounds like you are spooked by the grass field...Maybe you are afraid the grass will rip the gear out and you are pulling up to try and slow it even more.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:17 PM
bdtsr

A G26 might, I repeat might work. I wouldn't try it. A 35 to 40cc gasser is more like it. A gas engine would need to be as light as possible. As for landing, try mixing in spoileron to bring the ailerons up and the elevator down (about 6%). This helps bring the plane down without ballooning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.