Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Sig Four Star 40 ARF >

Sig Four Star 40 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Sig Four Star 40 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 09:58 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Four Star 40 ARF

Howdie all,

Finally got around to starting my christmas present, a four star 40 ARF. Have a brand new OS 46FX just waiting for its new home. It looks to be a great ARF. I had recently acquired an older four star 40 that has several years of servie on it. I was surprized at how closely the ARF matches the kit in construction. My previous ARF experience has been that the ARF usually is only similar to the kit and will end up heavier etc.

Looks like Sig has some decent builders and covering folks putting these together.

Anyone else out there have one? Would like to hear what your experiences are too. How are you going to engine your birds? Any wild stickers or other stuff?

GrumpE
Old 01-24-2004, 01:02 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Sig Four Star 40 ARF

I build the kit years ago,with a .46.
Can be aerobatic but not 3D and was fast if propped right,and would fly very slowly too.The plane never put a scare into me.it was very honest and fun.excellent platform to advance your skills
Old 01-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Banned

The 4*40 is not meant t be fast... propping it for speed is an error. (and a reason for the negative comments you sometimes see about it)

Use the longest, lowest pitch prop you can swing properly with your engine (and not hit the ground durring takeoff) a 11X4 on a .40 is a whole new world in aerobatcs with the 4*40 compared to that 10X6 you think you should use. (and top speed is actually higher because of more PULL with the longer prop) Also... it slows for landings MUCH better with the lower pitch.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:52 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: FHHuber

The 4*40 is not meant t be fast... propping it for speed is an error. (and a reason for the negative comments you sometimes see about it)

Use the longest, lowest pitch prop you can swing properly with your engine (and not hit the ground durring takeoff) a 11X4 on a .40 is a whole new world in aerobatcs with the 4*40 compared to that 10X6 you think you should use. (and top speed is actually higher because of more PULL with the longer prop) Also... it slows for landings MUCH better with the lower pitch.
Yes you are right for the set up...but some people want more speed to play with sometimes and in my case I experimentd with different props and got awesome speed put of it.I flew it really hard for 3 seasons.I built it myself and I actually tried to overstress it a number of times.didn't work...If the ARF is built well then it could be horsed around a lot.It does fly best however with reasonable settings
Old 01-24-2004, 08:34 PM
Banned

The thing is... unless you stick a LARGE engine on, which adds weight (and the thing likes to be nose-hevay anyway... so it does NOT need it for ballast) It isn't going to fly faster with a 10X6 than it will wth the 11X4... except in a vertical dive. Its just too draggy.

You stick on the oversize engine and you lose its sweet low speed performance it was designed for.

You want speed in an inexpensive .40 size plane... Stick a 8x8 on a .46 and mount it on a Sig Kougar. (there are a lot of others that would be good candidates for speed too.) But you're going to need a good long runway to give it time to build speed with the short high pitch prop.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:14 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built mine just before Christmas. I have about 20 flights on it now and love it. Aword of caution the wheel pants are fragile. I had mine crack today.

The post below tells about everthing I found with it.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_13...tm.htm#1369019
Old 01-25-2004, 12:45 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks all!

I got a sweet deal on the OS 46 so that is what I will put in her. Have no intentions to try and make it scream. Just wanted the plane for all of the stable maneuvers and slow speed forgivings the airframe is reputed to have.

Plus I have the older kit version that I bought with a low run time OS 40. Should be able to have a ton of fun with the two of them.

Was just in my garage putting away some stuff for the wife and looked closely at the wings side by side and noticed their is a major diff in the ailerons. The ARF has tapered ones that are much broader at the wing root and narrower at the wing tip than does my older kit version. Basically a rectangle (old) vs a trapazoidal shape (ARF).

Anyone know if this is the same config newer four star kits are using also? Just curious.

GrumpE
Old 01-25-2004, 03:15 AM

Yes grumpe, the kits have tapered ailerons. I built one last year and by the way IMHO a Saito 56 is the perfect engine for this bird. Steve