Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Lancair Wing Failures

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Lancair Wing Failures

Old 12-16-2007, 12:18 AM
gvf1994

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lancair Wing Failures

Fellas!

I bought my plane couple years ago and finally got my hands on it. Decided to glass the wing and tail section for better look. When I took monocote out of one wing found that the wing was warped towards unhedral all the span wise. What would be the solution to straighten the wing out without breaking it? As far as I can see it is a ā€œDā€ tube construction.

Thanks
Old 12-16-2007, 01:04 AM
masonman

That was by far the best flight video i have seen. Calmer day an low rates for more scale like turns......I'm not bashing it at all cause you had me thinking i was in a real plane. That was great. Keep them coming. Unbelivable!!! Whats your AUW with the video gear an a full tank of fuel?. With the removable stab does this plane have servos mounted in the stab itself, or do you take off the linkage?......Got to say it agin......Best video i have seen on RCU
Old 12-16-2007, 08:19 AM
casniffer
My Feedback: (1)

Masonman,
Thanks for the compliments. The AUW of the plane with an empty tank and without video gear is 8.6 lbs. Video gear probably weighs 10-12 ounces. It didn't notice a difference in flying characteristics with and without video gear. Its all located on the CG, so no compensation or re-trimming is required.
I don't typically use high and low rates. I use exponential and need to adjust it . Still playing with it.

Thanks

CAsniffer.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:36 PM
gvf1994

Fellas!

I bought my plane couple years ago and finally got my hands on it. Decided to glass the wing and tail section for better look. When I took monocote out of one wing found that the wing was warped towards unhedral all the span wise. What would be the solution to straighten the wing out without breaking it? As far as I can see it is a ā€œDā€ tube construction.

Thanks
Old 12-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Craig-RCU

Try lightly wetting the balsa on the bottom of the wing by spritzing it with Windex or water. Bend it the opposite way (up in this case) that it's warped a bit further than the correct position. Then, boil all of the water out of the balsa with a very hot covering iron while it is held in this position. If that doesn't fix the warp, repeat or do the other side too. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:48 PM
gvf1994

Ok. will try
Old 01-03-2021, 05:08 PM
capt1597

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just want to update some. my GP lancair ES is now 17 yrs old. thousands of flights on it. OS 61 FX. still in great shape. still a joy to fly. really love the skinny wings.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:44 PM
capt1597

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was charging the batt, and the port side door window fell out. epoxied it back in. just doing the winter service to get the plane ready for spring flying.