Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

u-can-do 60

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

u-can-do 60

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 04:20 PM
AcroJo
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: u-can-do 60

Fred, I believe they are 'Dubro' aluminum fuel dots. Since the tank is on the CG, the now available compartment is perfect for housing the fuel tee's and line. Here is the fuel side, with the pressure/drain dot on the opposite side.

Chuck, as long as you don't dead stick on take off, this thing will float back from about anywhere. Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45107.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	414788  
Old 02-24-2006, 05:47 PM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

Hey Bud,
Didja find anything out about those hinges? I appreciate the input on the Kletts from you guys who responded, but I have the larger size Dubro hinges here if they will work. I used the smaller sized ones the first time without the removable pin. The hinges I have are larger and the hinge pin is removeable. Our LHS was destroyed by Hurricane Wilma and the on hand stock is very limited. I refuse to pay exorbitant shipping charges for a few small items .
Old 02-25-2006, 09:23 AM
AcroJo

Brian, considering that UCD #4 is a compilation of new and used parts from the previous 3 models, the 'Frankenstien' of the group, it only seems right that nothing matches. If I go into my invoice file to research it, I will more than likely have a small coronary as my spending history will come to light. That file must never be opened for health reasons. So, I can give you the dimensions. I do know that they are 'Dubro' brand. On ail. and elv. the size of the knuckle is 5/8 inch across with the straight music wire. On rudder, the size of the knuckle measures 3/4 inch across and has the removeable brass kotter pin. I remember going to the larger size on rudder as I had to dig out the old CA hinges due to the rudder being scavanged from another and the larger size fit the slot nicely. The smaller size was used on the surfaces that still had virgin slots and the smaller size fit nicely. I think either size is good, as they are comparable in weight. I like the removeable pin for releasing the control surfaces in case I ever need to 'remodel' again.

I'm curious to try out the 'Klett' hinges in the future. Joe
Old 02-25-2006, 12:34 PM
olstoney

Joe,
Thanks I'll try the ones that I have which are the larger size with the removable pin. I'd like to try the Klett's, but won't order out of town just for those. The YS is going to go in this one and I have everything for the build up except for the servos. Without researching the thread, what prop did you wind up using? I have the right Tru-Turn spinner with the lightened backplate on the shelf with the adaptor as well.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:49 PM
AcroJo

16/6 APC. Although I havn't flow this more than once in the second half of last season because of the Extra Fun, I am working on it as we speak. Pulling out the JR DS811s. Rebuilt the gear train twice in 2005 and can't get rid of the jitters. Lets see what JR can do. Had to go into the invoice file after all for a reciept for these. I have all except the reciept for the servos, just my luck. I know they are still under warranty, but even if I have to pay, it will be cheaper than a new purchase and this old bird won't be getting anything new. This plane has been molested, neglected, discected and resurected more times than a model deserves. I keep flying it away, but it keeps coming back. Joe
Old 02-25-2006, 04:08 PM
olstoney

Yeah I bought a set of DS 811'S for my fun fly plane to try them out. The warranty was better than the equivalent Hitec's and they were a little stronger and faster. Horizon provides pretty good customer service IMO. They sent me some parts for a plane under warranty just the other day no questions asked. Could the jitters be from the 6V pack? I have heard that some of the JR servos are sensitive to the voltage spike on a freshly charged pack.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:15 PM
AcroJo

I'll be poseing that question when I send them in. Then again, maybe I had better not bring it to light as it might void whatever chance I have at warranty work. Have to wait till Monday to see if they can dig up my purchase date. Really hope that they are still under warranty. Joe
Old 02-25-2006, 06:34 PM
Fred Dings II
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very Astute observation, olstoney. I have 6V batteries on three of my planes and use a regulator from Maxx Products on each because of servo jitter and to protect my receivers from voltage spikes due to overcharging. I fly mostly Futaba stuff... only because that's what I started with.

Acrojo Just thinking...perhaps you could hook up 4.8V and see if you still jitter. If so, try it with a helper holding the transmitter 20 paces away with one section extended if you have a telescoping antenna. You may jitter if your Xmtr is too close to the receiver just because of coupling to the receiver circuitry and not due to overvoltage.

The regulator I use can be found at www.maxxprod.com, part# ACC134 @ $19.95 (10 amps continuous and 20 amps peak)

You probably know all this stuff, this is just my two pennies worth.

Regards, FRED
Old 02-25-2006, 07:02 PM
AcroJo

Fred, this has been going on a while now. Tried everything right down to giving the servo the mechanical advantage on the pushrods. Just kept getting worse with age. Procrastination didn't help either. Thanks for the help, Joe

BTW, it never did it on the throttle or rudder servos which leads me to believe it is that production model.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:39 PM
olstoney

That's interesting as JR is doing away with the DS 537'S and keeping the DS811'S in the lineup. I'll be running a 1650 4.8V nickel pack, so if there are jitter problems those servos will be history in a heartbeat . BTW Susie says Hi.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:47 AM
Chuck381

Morning All,
Well it is here and today is going to be the day! Brought it in to work with me and am going to go fly after work as long as everything goes well here and the weather holds! I am excited! Ok so I ballanced it one last time and moved the Battery around a bit, But it is still a tad nose heavy, with the Bat as far back as possible it is slightly tail heavy, figured I would go 4 7/8 to be safe so here we go for starters, yesturday was nice but too windy! 17MPH winds out of the north so I hope today is more 5-8 MPH.

I am attaching a Pic with the last touches complete, stickers and all! Thanks again guys and I will let you know what happens!

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57824.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	416591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64663.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	416592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18679.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	416593  
Old 02-27-2006, 07:51 AM
jlkonn

Chuck,
Looks great!
You did a nice job.
Good luck!
JLK
Old 02-27-2006, 07:53 AM
AcroJo

Go get em Chuck, good luck. Joe
Old 02-27-2006, 08:47 AM
olstoney

Chuck,
Good luck and keep us posted. It's too windy down here to fly today, so I guess it's beer time and a nap .
Old 02-27-2006, 08:59 AM
AcroJo

ORIGINAL: olstoney
Chuck,
Good luck and keep us posted. It's too windy down here to fly today, so I guess it's beer time and a nap .
Now theres a guy who knows how to use his time wisely! Joe
Old 02-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Chuck381

Merci Stoney,
...Oh yea you are an hour earlier than us.....Ok well it sounded good anyway! You guys rock, thanks for the support! It seems like I am cramming too much in at a time! But trying to put plane first...Ok well yea I know work has priority!

Acro Joe thanks again, you have helped tremendously!

Chuck
Old 02-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Fred Dings II

CHUCK, Any minute now, I expect to feel my house shake from the impact of your first landing.

olstoney...I have some Klett hinges you may have pro bono if you send me your address and tell me how many you want. I should be able to supply enough for a Ucan 60. The dimensions are when opened and flat: 1-1/8"lg x 5/8"w.

Old 02-27-2006, 04:02 PM
olstoney

Fred,
Thanks for the offer. I sent a PM, but it came back as not enabled, so I e-mailed instead. Thanks , Brian...
Old 02-27-2006, 07:51 PM
Fred Dings II

Hi, olstoney

20 Kletts will be in the mail on 2/28 afternoon. I am enabled for PM and have been. I went into my forum preferences and double checked.

Guess RCU is having problems again with PM.

Regards, FRED
Old 02-28-2006, 07:23 AM
olstoney

Fred,
Thanks, I'll give them a try. I used 30 minute epoxy on the DuBro hinges. Will this be O.K. with the Klett's, or should I pick up something else?
Old 02-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Chuck381

Guys,
That thud you heard was ........NOT me! Ok so I flew her twice, wind picked up bad and fast! So here we go!

1st fligh, NO Wind, sun, BEAUTIFUL! Took off in very little runway after having to leave glow warmer on to the runway, then speed up and hold the tail... took right to the air, two clicks right ail, two clicks down. flew for all of ten minutes did approaches, simple loops and attempted knife edge and waterfall! No attempt at hovering. As I was attempting to see how it handles as the ailerons /flaps I didn't notice a whole lot of lift with them, applied at about 1/4 throttle. Retracted them back up and again few an approach...Engine dies.... I am thinking Father Joe, don't let me down! She glided forever it seems and bounced once and down she was.

2nd Flight, 10 MPH wind, gusty and out of the South, had no problems starting just still rich so no reliable idle, took right up in the high wind (like 10 ft it seems) got bounced around a bit more this time, flew inverted, outside loops and rools, ya know the easy stuff! Was a bit concerened about the wind gust and landing as I approached after about 8 minutes of flying I had another dead stick... Applied flaps and sailed right in slow and easy, got to ground effect and left wing started to drop and I corrected and set her in easy, no bounce! Little road rash on the TE of the L Aileron (it was in flap position). Ok cleaned her up and brough her home!

Thats my story and I am sticking to it!

Ok so I did do a complete check after I felw the first time, nothing loose or missing, everything intack and looked good, many coments on its appearance!

I am concerened on some of its issues, Knife edge it pulls to the wheels alot, turns the nose drops more than my other plane (not a prob) just got to get used to, inverted flight just a tad down added. I need some more stick time to evaluate what adjustments are needed before I attempt any changes! It seems like elevator response is slow, maybe I need to adjust my settings! Other than that I have a better feel for her and feel I can at least enjoy this plane now!

Oh a seperate note, sorry it took so long to get back to you all, was a very busy past couple days, have to Re-Enlist this afternoon, went to my promotion induction ceremony this morning so it has been packed! Going to put on my last stripe tomorrow and wear it till I retire! No more up the chain for me, I am content where I will be! Next I need to finish my degree! OK enough of my soap box!

My wife gave me my promotion gift and you guessed it another RC plane!!!! A world models Ultimate 40S Bipe! Got to like that! Life is good but that one will have to wait a bit, but it is sure a good looking plane, built very well too! Solid for a little kit! Got to like the price as well!!! Ok guys again thanks for all the input and support! I will add more info as I go!

Cheers!!

Chuck
Old 02-28-2006, 11:42 AM
AcroJo

There ya go Chuck, walk in the park. You will settle in with this one quickly and wonder why you worried. Have fun and enjoy it. Joe
Old 02-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Chuck...
Congratulations on a nice maiden flight. (2) The UCDs are neat airplanes. And...as you've already discovered the UCD can do an unbelievable KE coupling. It's wonderful at them. One of my favorite maneuvers.

Hope you get the deadsticking resolved. I just hate the continual engine headaches that happen sometimes.

My guess...You'll really start to like this plane and enjoy flying it.

Congrats on your promotion also. I had one once but it's been so long ago I forgot what it's like. No I own my own business so promotions are a no/no.

Have a great day.

Thanks
Barry
Old 02-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Chuck381

Thanks Joe,
You have helped me alot and I do appreciate it! When you come down to see ole Stoney we can all have a beer! Thanks again!

Chuck

Barry if you ever get this far south...you are invited too! Come on down!
Old 02-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Fred Dings II

olstoney, 30 min epoxy is fine. The instructions for Klett suggest burying the short end of the "L" removable wire into one of the surfaces so it doesn't fall out of the knuckle.

Chuck, Congratulations on your maiden flight.

Regards, FRED

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.