Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 u-can-do 60 >

u-can-do 60

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

u-can-do 60

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: u-can-do 60

Fred,
Thank you Sir! Just looking forward to more fun as I get more into it! You guys are the best! Have a great day!

Chuck
Old 02-28-2006, 01:49 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Chuck,
Way to go!
Congrats on your maiden flight, promotion and re-enlistment!
Mine also has really bad pitch coupling with rudder.
If you have a radio that has mixing it's easy to mix out.
Some folks don't like to but I do.
I think I also have slight roll coupling with rudder that I've mixed out.
I have flaperons enabled that I can turn off and on.
They seem to help with looping and landing but mess up my rolls...wait a minute...maybe that's me messing up my rolls!
[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
I also have a very slight amount of "ailevator" enabled. Can't tell it does much...
Wait a minute!
Maybe that's what's messing up my rolls!
[sm=confused.gif]
I have "the speed brake" setup too but I have the switch deactivated.
I almost crashed my foamie trying them out on it so I'll have to get up some nerve before I try them on the UCD!
Once again great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JLK
Old 02-28-2006, 03:12 PM

Jlk,
Thank you Sir!
So I am going to ask a dumb question, here we go! How would I mix it out (the coupling on the Knife edge pulling to the wheels). I am using a Futaba 7C, I also did the flap/Aileron and Ailevator on a switch. I didnt try the ailevator but will to see if there is any bonus as you did too! Inquiring minds want to know! Thank you for your help!

Chuck
Old 02-28-2006, 03:31 PM

Chuck,
Oh boy...
I'll try...
I have a 9CAP and know nothing about the 7C but if you are running ailevators and flaperons you must be running separate channels for each aileron and each elevator half.
On my radio I have PMix 1 (you could use any free mix you have) as follows:
Rudd=>Elev
Rate -6% +10% (that's for left rudder stick and right rudder stick. I just messed with the rate while
giving it rudder stick and watching the elevator move in the direction I wanted)
Offset 0%
Mix ON
MAS 4:Rudd
SLV 2 :Elev
Link ON
Trim OFF
SW H (this is the physical tx switch I have it set to)
POSI UP (this is my choice up or down to turn it on)

I hope our radios are similar enough that this helps.
If not I am sure someone will pitch in and tell us what specifically differs between our radios.
Good luck!
JLK
Old 03-01-2006, 07:08 PM

Well, gentlemen here are a few pics for your amusement. What I have going on here is the UCD 60 with a 23cc Super Tigre engine. I've added a smoke system with two taps on the exhaust to pressurize the tank. The muffler has a home-brewed brass coil inside that will pre-warm the dri smoke liquid before it dumps into the manifold. I've also added a remote glow ignitor and when finished it will have two 2000mAh batteries as well. I'm currently making the lexan skiis for the bottom and I hope to have it all up and running by Friday. To answer the question that's bound to be asked.........Yes, I'll be adding lead to the tail of the plane! lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79676.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	418203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90164.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	418204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10151.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	418205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl26673.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	418206  
Old 03-01-2006, 07:31 PM

Yeehaw! Whats that, about a four foot prop? You have got to keep us tuned in on this one. Good luck, Joe
Old 03-01-2006, 07:37 PM

That there is a MAS 18x6 Classic .(Meant for the likes of a 1/3-1/4 scale cub.) I'm hoping to have some video if the weather permits. We've been flying in -20/25mph lately, except for today which was fantastic. I hope Friday's maidening will be just as fine a day! BTW the engine has 3.7 hp listed on the tech sheet. We'll have to see just how much flutter this here aeroplane can handle. Wish me luck! Peace
Old 03-01-2006, 07:44 PM

Well then, good luck! Flutter is all about the setup, or lack of a good one. I went 4/40 all the way with HD control horns, ball links and quick links. Pinned hinges gave me a good tight hinge line without sealing and it will handle full bore down lines with the YS 110 without a hint of flutter. Can't wait for this one and video would make my day. Thanks. Joe
Old 03-01-2006, 07:50 PM
My Feedback: (19)

Jeez,
I can't wait to see this one as well .
Old 03-01-2006, 08:43 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't it amazing what us fliers come up with during the winter time? You must have been snowbound on the Upper Peninsula with cabin fever for months. Awesome setup. I've said it before...you have taken "overpowering" to a new level.

I've always wanted to fly a plane with smoke and I am anxious to hear your comments. I have an Ohio Ultimate Bipe with a 3.2 Walker gasser and Slimline smoke muffler that I have started for 5 years and never finished. No, I'm not going to put a 3.2 in my U-60. Well, maybe.

Have some snappy, Happy Flights.

Regards, FRED
Old 03-01-2006, 08:45 PM

Downtrodden,
I'd like to hear how your smoke turns out!
I'm going to have to knock on wood here...
I have to go with Joe...I haven't experienced flutter either.
I used the CA hinges but I did seal all the control surfaces. I too used 4-40 pushrods and hardware with Rocket City ball links.
Everything control wise was as tight as I knew how to make it.
I'm flying with a Saito 1.00.
I haven't done any full bore down lines but I have done quit a bit of WOT straight and level.
So far no problems.
Good luck!
JLK
Old 03-01-2006, 09:15 PM

Fred, if you've ever been up this way in the winter you know that us sons-of-Finlanders are a gloomy bunch. eh! I don't know how else to explain why anyone would want to live in such snowbound darkness for nine months out of the year! Anyone that's not from around here calls us Yoopers, but I call everyone of us nuts! I have a 12' snowbank surrounding two sides of my house and my snowblower has more horsepower than my 4x4! We have only two seasons here, winter and mosquitos! By the way...glow fuel residue makes a great bug dope! (You should see my plane after a day of flying during the month of mosquito! (that falls between the months of Last Snow and First Snow) Castor and mosquito carnage!) I can't help but grin just thinking about it! Cabin fever? You be the judge. [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 03-01-2006, 10:35 PM
My Feedback: (17)

No flutter here either...Well, except in my heart.

Thanks
Barry
Old 03-02-2006, 03:51 PM

AWESOME! Got to show us the video! I know I would be shaking then for sure with that beast in the air! Good luck!

Chuck
Old 03-04-2006, 10:20 AM

Well, today is the day! I couldn't make it out yesterday, except to the driveway to break in the engine. Bad news with regards to the smoke system....It's not going to work. I had suspected this before I tested it as I had blown through the pressurizing line just to get a "feel" of the amount of pressure needed and the resistance to flow was substantial. I guess the TME smoke pump is in the future, fortunately the change out shouldn't alter the weight noticably. The engine however is in fine running order. At full revs I didn't get any flutter in the control surfaces, either. As a last minute thought, I slid some tight-fitting carbon fiber tube over the pushrods...what a difference! Get this...the engine went through the third tank of fuel in 25 minutes! I was expecting to be empty in 8 minutes. A pleasant surprise.

Well, time to load the minivan. Wish me luck!

Peace.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:02 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Luck!

Thanks
Barry
Old 03-04-2006, 02:44 PM

downtrodden
Anybody who goes out to fly with 12 feet of snow on two sides of his house has me in awe of his determination. I looked up Calumet on the atlas and seems like you can use lake Superior as your back yard.
It's probably frozen over now, is that where you fly?
I'm uploading a pix of my Snow plane on pontoons as that is much better than skiis in deep snow. Hope I can figure out how to do this.

Have fun and watch out for frostbite.

Regards, FRED

Name:	Ay74706.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	420016  
Old 03-04-2006, 06:11 PM

Fred, Lake Superior has us surrounded on three sides. It's because of this that we are shielded from the extreme cold, but pay for the mild temperatures with lake effect snow. These pictures are two minutes old. See and believe! Peace.

More later on the success of the day, but now my wife is insisting on taking me out for a steak dinner! Gotta run!

Ok, I'm editing this note by way of adding to it! I maidened the UCD60 with the 23cc Super Tigre late this morning. The first flight was a major disappointment and the engine just didn't have the power I thought it should. Well, I put it on top the snowbank and flew the Twist for a few flights. One of the guys that was flying had a UCD60 with a 1.0 Saito that wouldn't stay running and in between flights I thought I'd ask to borrow the prop (APC 16x4W) and replace the 18x8MAS Classic. What a difference! Excellent throttle response and hovering was cheesecake! I believe that a 17x4 (if such an animal exists) would be the ideal prop for this combination. I experienced zero flutter even though two of the three CA hinges in the rudder had loosened. (I'll be replacing them with pinned hinges.) This thing rockets out of a hover! The only other thing that happened was that the cowl vibrated and opened up the cowl screw holes to the point where the washered heads came through the fiberglass. I'm going to back up the next washers with rubber to eliminate that happening again. The plane balanced out by adding only 2 ozs to the tail of the plane. Engine cost....$150, awesome performance on a budget! Did I mention that the stock tank keeps me in the air for over 24 minutes? (Wildcat 15%)

Needless to say, I am a happy camper! Video was taken and as soon as I get it, you'll get it! Peace

Name:	Yw67903.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	420138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72105.jpg
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	420139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24917.jpg
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	420140  
Old 03-05-2006, 11:23 AM

You can get a 17/4 in an APC prop. For your cowl I strongly recommend www.pspmfg.com and pick up some cowl binders. Slickest piece of CNC milled neoprene on the market. $3.00 will get you six of them. Male/female grommets that snap together and clamp down on the cowl, secured with a screw and an anti vibration grommet.

Fred, pontoons are very versatile. Definitely two season gear. Joe

Name:	Yw68267.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	420611  
Old 03-07-2006, 08:48 AM

AcroJo,

I ordered two props the 17X4 (thank you!) and a 16.5X4W for the modified UCD. I'm looking forward to trying them out this weekend. I'm still waiting on the video of the maidening flights, but have yet to get it from the guy that took it for me....[].
This forum seems to have dried up? Isn't anyone flying or working on their UCD's?
Peace
Old 03-07-2006, 02:10 PM

downtrodden

My end hasn't dried up, just working on my 60 so much I don't have time to chat.

Yeah, that's B.S.

I started on the tail feathers last night and had a devil of a time trying to figure out where the stab block started and stopped. I have the wing part finished, I put brass tubing on the dowel pins and beefed up the former where the dowels plugged into. I've have noticed on my Stik and Twist that after time a thin former starts to eat into the dowel from vibration and I had planned on putting a YS 120 on the front. I scrapped that idea after trying it on and put it back on my Dave Patrick bipe. I couldn't decide what to do since I really wanted a YS 110 but they are not available at this time and found out recently that the YS 110 my friend Dave has, only likes 30% fuel. I should say that the performance that he expects he only gets from 30% fuel. So, I ordered another O.S. 91 Surpass with pump and that is what will go into the 60. I have the same motor on my U-Can 46 and I love it. I sold 3 Saitos after becoming disenchanted with Saitos. That's another story.

Anyhow, I will be working on my 60 sometimes.

I guess the snow hasn't melted up there yet, where do you fly?

Regards, FRED

Old 03-07-2006, 04:06 PM

FRED,

I fly off of a nearby frozen pond that's only two minutes away. There's a quarter mile straight stretch of road that runs along side the pond which allows for easy access. The ice on the pond is nearly three feet thick and snow covered. Our snow won't leave us until May so we still have alot of winter flying ahead of us. In the summer we fly where ever we can.

Isn't the Surpass 90 a little weak for the 60? I've been thinking about that engine for the Twist. (pumpless version)

I'm also finding that the UCD60 just can't flat spin like the Twist either. Is it just me? It knife-edges like a butcher, though!

Down,
Old 03-07-2006, 04:16 PM

Barry

If you still get flutters in your heart when you maiden, I envy you. I don't get nervous any more, and that was part of the big charge of flying.

I think flying the old AMA pattern ruined me for some of the sport flying. I'm glad 3D came along when it did, I was getting bored.

Regards, FRED
Old 03-07-2006, 04:40 PM

downtrodden

I don't know if the O.S. 90 Surpass w/pump is enough for the U-Can 60 or not, but I'm guessing it is because it way overpowers my U-Can 46.

I've had three engines in my Twist. Well, one in my first Twist and two in my second Twist.
I had an O.S. 46 in my first Twist, and not enough. In my second Twist I had a Saito .72 GK and not enough, then I went to a O.S. 70 w/pump and that is just perfect with a 14-6
APC prop. I agree with your flat spin statement. My Twist flat spins, I mean like a pancake, both inverted and upright. I have 50 degrees deflection in the elevator and the rudder almost hits the elevator. I don't need much aileron deflection, but I have 35 degrees. I also have spoilerons enabled by the airbrake switch and 30 degrees deflection. That way I can land it in a good breeze without it floating. You may already know this, but the Twist fuse is really weak at the rear of the wing saddle, that's where my first Twist died. Also, check your wing dowel. Mine was sawed about 3/32 through by the former before I noticed it. I added some thickness to the former and brass tube on the dowel.

I haven't had much experience with my U-Can 46 yet, as I only flew it a couple of times before the 30 degree weather and 30 mph wind kicked in. The engine isn't even broken in yet and has plenty of power.

Talk to ya later, Snow Bunny
Old 03-07-2006, 06:28 PM

downtrodden

Just thinking about your comment on flat spinning the U-Can-Do 60. I'm not too surprised that it doesn't flat spin as well as the Twist although it does sound disappointing. I won't be able to try it for a while. That is a big wing, did you balance the plane laterally?
When I build/assemble a plane I make sure I have a place to install a screw eye at the C.G. and fuselage center. Then I hang it, and do what is necessary to balance it fore and aft and side to side. On my 60, the screw eye is mounted in the cockpit on the rear slope and there is a piece of lite ply reinforcing the spot. I will install the canopy after balancing. I still have a lot of work to do, and I'm putting metal gear digitals on the tail feathers. I'm sure that's not necessary, but my flying buddy Dave swears by them on his U-Can 46. Of course, he is one of these "tail touching" hover nuts and kept tearing up the plastic gear servos. I had to try 'em. He says it took him only three years, 8 airplanes and a two axis gyro to learn to hover. I've seen him hold a hover without a gyro for over two minutes. Makes my 10 second hover humorous.

Regards, FRED

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.