Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

u-can-do 60

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

u-can-do 60

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Chuck381

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: u-can-do 60

Acro Joe!
Great to hear you are doing good! I still haven't un cased my UCD but am going to start to put it together this next week! Got all my goodies delivered so its just a matter of time and I will officially be in the UCD world!

Went out to the field yesterday afternoon and flew a few times, and its all good! the .46 is still a little rich but with only 15 flights on it its getting better. I have ran the Saito 100 4 times and think I have a reliable idle so its in the plane and up we go! I am sure I will be asking about mixing questions ans the set up ( I have a 7CAP Futaba) so if you can assist I would like the help from the experienced ACRO MAN!

Overpowered,
Brother I hope to be here in June! Not too sure if you will want to leave the beautiful White sand beaches though! Just let me know and if I am able I will take you out to our field and let you fly! Good folks out there and its never too crowded, I usually go after work and only a few around since we can all go whenever. Like I said make sure I am here and I will give you some contact numbers to get ahold of me or some other guys in the club! Uncle Sam sometimes likes me to go other places.... Wish I could use my planes on the bad guys! Woo Hoo!

Barry,
Believe me I would let you fly my UCD! Just dont know when I am gonna make it up north! Love that area! Thanks for the offer!

All right guys thanks for the advise and take care all!

Chuck
Old 02-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Chuck381

All,
I have been busy with the Do! Did the dowel insert to beef up the LG block, looks good and clean mounted the 100 and all the bells and whistles under the cowl (wow a chor) but I must say she is taking form! I glued the belly pan to the main wing and well I think I moved it too far forward! Yes its a real tight time trying to get the wing mounted so I am going to have to trim something somewhere to give!

I noticed that the Saito 100 carb sits about a 1/4" below the center of the fuel tank I might have to dremel it out (the round hole) and lower the tank if it is going to be a problem! I also moved up the easy fuel fueler to about the level of the carb so that it wont flood as I have read in some of the threads. I think I read somewhere that if I loop the fuel line from the fueler up higher than the carb then back to the carb inlet it could reduce flooding? Any truth to that guys???

Any advise on lowering the tank? Do I need to ? Ok all advise is greatly appreciated! I need the help! Gonna try and tackle the belly pan mod tonight! It just kills me that I must have messed it up! Thanks again!

Chuck
Old 02-07-2006, 11:50 AM
AcroJo
My Feedback: (1)

Bummer, the method I used worked good, but I don't think that I ever mentioned it here. I just mounted the wing to the fuse and slid a spacer in the front of the belly pan. Lined it up and let the epoxy set. It seems to only need a space to the front for clearance.

If I remember correctly, there is about 5/8 of an inch before you get into the top side of the ramp if you want to lower the tank. There is also a spreader on the first former that has to be cut and I would imagine it would have to be replaced in a lower position to hold the tank. The back of the tank will end up sitting on top of the half former that is between F1 and F2.

Nasty small area to work in. Good luck, Joe
Old 02-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Chuck381

Joe,
Do you think the fueler will cause problems? Oh I bet I can trim off a little of the belly pan and get it all squared away in a jiffy! Thanks for responding and again thanks for the help!

Chuck
Old 02-07-2006, 12:32 PM
AcroJo

When I ran the S100 on mine, the fueler was not a problem. Just don't install it lower than the carb and all should be good. I did not lower the tank and again, no issues with flooding. Joe
Old 02-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Chuck381

Joe,
Got the Belly pan squared away (nothing a little tap on with a hammer couldnt fix)! Yea it was just a hair tight so I managed to move a little wood more like rounded a couple spots! As for the fueler it is just about 3/16 below the carb due to the large motor mount being in the beast! I looped the carb inlet line up twoard the roof of the canopy with the fuel filter installed and then connected it to the carb. I finished all the servo install and am going to put the linkages together tonight. Not too sure if I am going to go with the carbon fiber on the rudder and elevator set up? Might just go with the stock. I used some carbon fiber rods with JB weld and some 440 all thread (approx 2" long) 1" out of the rod= 1" glued in it! Cut a small brass ring 1/8 long (tube) that slides on the outside of the carbon fiber tube, used CA to stick it there to prevent spliting! Hope that it works well and doesnt add weight!

After I finish the linkages and get the canopy installed I will run the motor (on the plane this time) and ensure there are no problems with flooding and my set up before I ballance everything out for good! I am running a 15X6 APC and using an OS F plug and using 15% Omega (20% Syn/Castor) so I hope all goes well! Again if there is anything else you can think of I need to do before I maiden PLEASE let me know! I appreciate all your advise and assisteance Father Joe! Yes I was reading some old threads and know you are a man of the cloth! HA HA !

That one about the electric fly and the plane caught in the ceiling at a dome up north.... then the pole landing on it killed me! I figured I was the only one with luck like that! I busted out laughing out loud in the office!
Thanks again Joe!

Chuck
Old 02-08-2006, 09:27 AM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

Yep,
He's the Minister of Avaition and UCD modifier extrodanaire .
Old 02-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Chuck381

Guys,
I know its kinda weird but after reading all these threads and getting tons of valuable info I feel like I almost know ya! I mean Father Joe is our Pastor and Old stoney and I deal with the Hurricanes, like an extended family!

You all are great and I appreciate the encouragement and great knowledge!

OldStoney you retired Military?

See ya guys

Chuck
Old 02-08-2006, 12:59 PM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

Chuck,
Yes, retired military and law enforcement. I think Joe will agree, don't use the factory 2/56 stuff for pushrods it is too long and too flexible. I used Central Hobbies CF rods with 4/40 titanium ends with Dubro ball links in the servo ends. This setup worked perfectly after replacing the CA hinges with the Dubro nylon pinned hinges as Joe suggested. Very slop free and as smooth as silk. Took a little more time, but was well worth the effort.

And that's all I have to say about that, (Forrest Gump).
Old 02-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Chuck381

Stoney & Joe,
Got it! So it looks like I will make some more CF push rods tonight! I think the home made version I created should be fine for the application. FYI I am still Mil (if you couldnt tell) I appreciate you Brother!

Thanks again Guys

Chuck
Old 02-15-2006, 08:40 AM
Chuck381

Guys,
She is complete and well I havent installed the cowl, ran it a couple times to make sure I am not going to have a problem with the carb flooding. Looks good considering I messed up on the canopy install (a little lean to the left). Ready to maiden her and see what its all about but the weather here is not going to cooperate it seems! Windy and rain! Oh well will wait patiently!

Can you all give me any advise in the amount of throws needed? I know the manual says a certain amount but I wanted to hear from you all that fly it what I really need for amount of throw on the surfaces. I appreciate the help!

Chuck
Old 02-15-2006, 07:41 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Chuck, i just remaidened mine after it took a break for about 8 mos and i still love this plane.

the suggested rates worked well for me the first time and should do well, you can go from there

here are a couple of pics of mine since installing the saito 125 (i love this engine in this plane)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74379.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	408871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27050.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	408872  
Old 02-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Chuck381

Cool! I will go with the recomended throws; I do appreciate the help! So do you fly without a cowl? What engine did you have on it before the 125? I fired mine up last weekend (still wanting to tweak it) to make sure it wouldnt flood the carb but it did after I filled up (using fueler). I couldnt put the fueler any higher because of the engine mount, but I got as close as I could and it runs fine but seems to flood right after it is filled up with fuel!

I am looking forward to trying her out BUT I am wondering how stong the wing is! It seems like in s few spot on the leading edge that the ply sheeting is soft and can be pressed in easily! Just wasnt too sure if there was something going on in there! Oh well I am just waiting on good weather and I guess I am just going to take her up and see if she is as smooth as everyone says! Thats why I was so concerened not to go too crazy with the throws! I don't want to be freaking out on my mainden flight!

G Jeffers thanks again for the pic's and advise!

Chuck
Old 02-16-2006, 03:58 PM
gjeffers

Yea Chuck i fly without the cowl, was to much trouble and it flys great minus the 3 extra oz of nose wt.
i had a saito 100 in it before and it was ok but the 125 was made for it, (and a lot of others).
i like you had problems with flooding, i used a cline regulator to solve it, but now i just mounted my 125 horizontal and the carb lines up with the middle of the tank perfect
the only advise i can give you for what your doing is to fuel and fly, dont fuel till your ready to fly and you will be ok. it will lean a little when you go inverted but mine did ok when i did it
Old 02-16-2006, 04:16 PM
Chuck381

G Jeffers
Sounds good! Again thanks for the advise! As soon as I get some pic's of it I will post them on the site and you will be able to see how I tried to set up the easy fueler up higher! Its all good and I think I will get it working just fine! Take care and I will let you know how the maiden goes!

Chuck

Old 02-16-2006, 05:57 PM
AcroJo

Now I'm going back a bit to when I ran the S100, but I used to shut down the engine with the throttle trim, closeing the carb off. I would leave it in that position when fueling for the next flight and leave it down until right before flipping the prop. That seemed to help. I don't recall any flooding issues and that was with an easy fueler. I did get the Cline regulator towards the S100's second season. That purchase was to put the tank on the CG. Funny how the YS 110 makes you forget all that stuff.

As GJ said, start with the suggested rates and it won't be very long before your crankn' them up. Good luck with the maiden.

GJ, I take it your likin' all that iron up front? Joe
Old 02-16-2006, 09:14 PM
gjeffers

yea Joe, its pretty nice to put it lightly, really great engine, i had 13lbs 14oz thrust on my trusty digi fish scale with apc 16x6, makes the 100 feel tame
Old 02-20-2006, 04:03 PM
Fred Dings II
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, Downtrodden...You're a man after my own heart. I also believe in overpowering but you are taking it to a new level. Let us know how it flies.

I have an O.S. .91 pumper in my U-Can-Do .46 with a Master Airscrew 14-6 and it hovers just beautifully. I think this is the engine for the 46.

I came on this thread to see what you guys are using on a U-Can-Do .60 as I've had one behind the furnace for a year. I was thinking of using a Y.S. 1.20 as I have one on my Dave Patrick bipe that I can just switch.

I just started 3-D flying last spring and am an ex pattern flier. I haven't been able to hold a hover for longer than approximately 10 seconds, but am having a ball flatspinning. I mean pancake flat. My elevator is set at 50 degrees up and down and my rudder all but hits the elevators. 3-D is another challenge for me and I enjoy being able to scare myself again, trying new manuevers.

It's winter time in PA and I've only flown 3 days this month in the snow. I have an Ultra Stik on floats for snow. Lots of fun.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Fred Dings II

Hi, Chuck 381

Just a comment on your request for mixing ideas. I have been flying the U-Can-Do .46 for quite a while and no mixing is actually required in my opinion. However, I'm sure the .60 will want to float in a high wind as the .46 does and I used the flapperon setting (Futaba channels 1 and 6) and set up for about 30 degree spoilers.

I believe in using the manufacturers settings for low rate, but for 3-D get all the throw you can mechanically, use rigid push rods, and punch in some negative expo for the really wild high rate throws until you get used to the feel.

Regards, FRED
Old 02-21-2006, 07:40 AM
Chuck381

Guys,
Great to hear all is well and thanks for the info on mixing Fred! I went out yesturday hoping to Mainden but no luck Rain and low ceiling so I am putting it off it seems! I am going to try an attach some pic's to show you what I have so let see what works! Thanks again all and I just need to get the idle low without cutting out! Thanks guys!

Name:	Jh14901.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	412663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86934.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	412664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14226.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	412665  
Old 02-21-2006, 07:56 AM
jlkonn

Chuck,
Good lookin' plane!
Looks like you did a very clean job on the canopy.
I "smoked" mine...wish I had only lightly tinted it or left it clear.
I'm going to try to attach a pix of mine.
Good luck!
It will fly great!
JLK

Name:	Jh15133.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	412666  
Old 02-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Chuck381

Jlkonn,
Thanks! I did allot wrong on the canopy and I think I am going to pull it off and re-mount it straight (it drives me crazy) you cant tell in the photo but it leans to the left a bit. Not that it will affect the flying ability BUT the looks I guess. That and the weather here is going to be real windy for a week or so, so looks like I can change it. I tried to use the colored dye and tint it blue but no luck! Warmed the water, added vinager, left it in a long time and still nothing! I need it to be somwhat clear since I need to see the little battery indicator or I would have painted it black like most others do!

I need to get the saito 100 to idle better on the low end but as I get more hours on it I hope it does better. When I leave the glow connector attached it idles very well but as soon as I pop it off she wants to die! I have a OS F plug on and I was hoping it would be fine! Maybe as said in time as she gets broke in. Only a 1/2 gallon of fuel has been run thru her so far!

I am still debating on the decals and putting them on, Yours looks great, I might go as your is! Heck I just want to get her in the air! I am excited but nervous on how she will fly! I have a second plane that is smaller and a low wing ( Sky raider Mach II) and its fine, easy in my book so I can only hope the Do flyies easier or is as predicatable! Anyway thanks for the comments and let me know if you think I should do something different on the idle adjustments etc! Here is a pic of the other plane too!

Chuck

Name:	Ay74589.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	412712  
Old 02-21-2006, 11:13 AM
jlkonn

Chuck,
I have a Saito 1.00 on mine as well.
It does fine.
I'll pass on to you an idle tip from Bill Robison over on Club Saito.
To adjust the low speed needle he recommends getting the engine up to temp...mayber after a flight and letting it idle. He then suggest you pull the fuel line off. If it speeds up before it dies it is rich...If it dies immediately it's lean.
Hope that helps!
Once again it will fly great!
Good luck!
JLK
Old 02-21-2006, 06:01 PM
AcroJo

jlkonn, good tip, similar to the pinch method.
Chuck, looks good! Don't be nervous, this plane is very forgiving. Suggested low rate, same for CG and you'll have a big ol' smile on your face. Bear with the Saito, it will come around. I feel that they really don't settle down till about the third gallon. Good luck and enjoy, Joe
Old 02-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Fred Dings II

CHUCK381

May I suggest you use "Testors spray enamel #1257 transparent blue." I'm going to upload a pix of my U-Can-Do .46 canopy to show you.

Seems that most of the canopy material on these ARF's can not be tinted with the old tried and no longer true Rit dye process.

You may notice that my landing gear is not stock. I used Dubro gear fastened with 1/4-20 nylon bolts.

Name:	Us54587.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	412970  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.