Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

u-can-do 60

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

u-can-do 60

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 02:32 PM
A1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: u-can-do 60

True. But if you'll note most of the time an inverted engine on the ground try to run rich. So it's leaned. Then when it's flying inverted, it's way too lean. The oppsite happens with an engine upright. When you invert in flight, it goes rich. Don't understand why so many people want to invert an engine. No other engine used for anything else is by design made to run UPSIDE down. Plus an engine design for a RC was not made to be. It's been the design of the makers of all these new planes that have caused this.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:49 PM
AcroJo
My Feedback: (1)

ys engines have a pressurized fuel delivery system and will run, without deviation, in any attitude. when referring to ys, forget everything you've ever experienced with other brand four strokes. good luck. joe
Old 08-02-2007, 08:19 PM
msn_jrd

Acrojo,
Iv been looking at the u can do ep i seen that you posted a few times are you still flyin it if not whats your though about it i love the 60 size it always a blast looking at the little one to practace 3d around the house not real good yet so perfect wouldnt be an issue for a while. I would start with a brussless set up and few other upgrades. Is this thing worth it or should i not waste my time with it?
Old 08-03-2007, 07:51 AM
AcroJo

it was fun and a good flyer. flew better with bi lateral tape on the fuse to stiffen it up and am sure the tape prolonged its life. like all foamies, they soon reach a point of non repair. tape up the battery compartment because on impact the weight of the battery will overcome the foam. i flew it indoors and out. a little quick for indoor with an airfoiled wing. it shined outdoors. i liked it. basically, all foamies are temporary fun, thats why i settled on making my own from blue foam. repairs are almost unlimitted and once beyond repair, just make a new one. i remember reading a lot of good things about the southern X, if thats the name, same type construction, yet more substantial with very good flight/durability reports. good luck, hoped this helped. joe
Old 08-03-2007, 09:45 AM
msn_jrd

Thanks a lot AcroJo it did

my 60 do took a little spill last weekend doing stuff on the deck right in front of me with about 15 people watching and got mezmerized (im not much on spelling) at watching if fly and dumb thumbed it right to the ground i was do one though havent tore one up in about 13 months but i would take one like this any day every thing broke at the glue joints. very kind to it. before it hit i got it up right and level but it was sinking to fast and smasht on the landing gear poked the wheel pants trough the wing and when the the prop hit it (should have pulled the throttle) busted the fire wall out of it and the chanel and stuff, looked bad but its not
if i would have just let the elevator stick go...it all would have.....
Old 08-19-2007, 10:50 AM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup the old VW got it right, the cylinder should be mounted horizontal. This also gives the benefit of shooting the exhaust oil under and away from the plane.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:08 PM
HoverLoW

Hey, guys!

Sorry by the heavy words, but I need to say this to anyone!!!!

This plane is a joke!

Really, I have mine flying past two weekends and my UCD seems to be more old than my two years flying Showtime.

Theres a lot of big problems that I can't expected of a manufacture like Great Planes.

1 - The plane don't have right thrust on firewall. Well, maybe you can tell me this problem is easly solved installing washes to get this angle, but the cowl don't have this angle too. So, all work I had to make a good cowl installation was lost.

2 - The landing gear is so flexible, what made me lost 3 brand new props in fews little hard landings.

3 - Dear God, why this plane can't do harries without swing hard the wings???? Theres two UCD in my field. Mine and a 46 size. None can do harries...

4 - The major problem: The covering... That thing over all the UCD is not Monokote. It's a different film. The part of it that glues in the airplane is rough and if you pull this film of, it just leave their paint around the place that it was.

You can't glue it again after it of. And this film can't touch oil too. It unglue imediatly when theres oil around.

It's a sh**. After two weekends, my UCD is becoming total white. Every flight means a lost of a covering piece.

I made some repairs after my first fligth with genuine Monokote and it is totaly different of the original crapy film of my UCD.

That is the first plane I had in my life that I WANT to crash it soon to get another one. Anyway, according with their covering status, I think I will don't need to wait for a long time.

Theres only one more plane I will try to get from Great Planes. I will try a Reactor glow powered. After that, if don't work, Great Planes never more!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 02:07 AM
piroflip2

sorry about your problems, my UCD60 is brilliant with none of the issues that you raise.
I have rudder mixed with throttle to solve the right thrust problem and always tack down the film edges with a clear fuel proof resin.
Time is money for ARTF makers, they don't seal the film's edges. You have to do it.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Upnet
My Feedback: (8)

I just picked up a UCD .60. Going to put a Saito 125 on it. Hitec 605 on the rudder. I have a box full of 425 BB's. Was thinking of using them. Either that or get some 475's. Whats the consensus on using the 425's?
Need your opinions.....

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2007, 01:04 PM
ENVYNLUST

Just about to wire up my u-can-do, I have a Hitec Eclipse 7, can I do the dual elevator servo setup electronically or do I have to purchase the futaba dual servo reverser? Please help
Old 11-04-2007, 05:50 PM
HoverLoW

Well, I will retire my UCD.

Yesterday I was flying it in what seemed to be a normal day.

I was trying to do some low rolling circles and inverted harries with my UCD. When I puted the UCD inverted and would turn to enter in an elevator to do a low pass on the track axe, two of three hinges of the ruder just broken in the middle.

I took a time to figure this and when I noticed the fail, my plane was over the rc car track in our field.

I tried aply full throttle to get out there, but the borken ruder dind't let the plane fly.

My UCD made a stall turn direclty back to the pleace where the rc cars guys was.

I coudn't do anything. I just listened the crashing sound.

Man, I though I was killed somebody.

When I arrived on the crash place - God helped me - my UCD didn't reach the ground. It stoped on the tree where the RC guys was hiding from the sun.

This could be a tragedy.

Well, noboby got hurts and the funny thing is my UCD dind't broken. Even the engine was still runing over the tree.

The only damage is the in flight broken hinges... I have a video fo this all that I will post soon.

But now I can't trust this plane anymore.

The bad quality is more the the simply covering problem to things that can harm peaple around me.

I liked my UCD. I think I have a bad luck with it. Maybe mine became with factory problems or maybe mine is an old kit that was in the distributor with old parts that can fail easily. I don't know.

But I will go to another and less problematic plane...

Video: http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=93IbLA_4Gyk
Old 12-08-2007, 01:10 AM
stratosman
My Feedback: (13)

I just finished my 60 and put a Saito 100 in it.I am hopeing it will have enough to hover and pull out with out just rolling the plane over and fly out.What I need to know is what is a good prop for this combination. I would love some info......
HoverLow sorry about your problems with the DO .This is my first U Can Do 60 But I have had three u can do 46's And I love them.All had no problems with covering or controlling.My only problem was loseing one because of dumb thumbs.The covering is almost as good as the day I built them.And one has almost 100 flights on it.The only thing I changed when I built them was the fuel tanks because I did not like the looks of them.And I herd there were problems with them. Just my 2 cents
Old 12-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Ernie Misner

autoguns, did you put your tank on the CG with the YS 110 and built in pump????

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 01-01-2008, 01:49 PM
HoverLoW

My new video:

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=0LZG50nTe8s
Old 01-07-2008, 05:13 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys, been awhile since my last post but i thought id share my new experience with snow skis on my UCD60. i thought that after i put these on that id have a lot of trimming to do after takeoff but to my suprise there was none needed! this plane (which ive had for over 4 years now) flew great with skis and i will use them anytime it snows now, they were great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46011.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	845068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73631.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	845069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32416.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	845070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74407.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	845071  
Old 01-07-2008, 05:24 PM
HoverLoW

Very nive!! Looks a little cold to somebody who lives in Brazil, but it's very nice!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 05:30 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: HoverLoW

4 - The major problem: The covering... That thing over all the UCD is not Monokote. It's a different film. The part of it that glues in the airplane is rough and if you pull this film of, it just leave their paint around the place that it was.

You can't glue it again after it of. And this film can't touch oil too. It unglue imediatly when theres oil around.

It's a sh**. After two weekends, my UCD is becoming total white. Every flight means a lost of a covering piece.

I made some repairs after my first fligth with genuine Monokote and it is totaly different of the original crapy film of my UCD.

Thanks for reminding me!

I'm in the middle of putting together the Giant version, and from what you've said applying a few coats of Top Flite clear coat is a must to prevent this.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:15 PM
HoverLoW

This is really a good, good idea!!!!!! We are waiting for pics!

Good luck!!!!
Old 03-03-2008, 07:02 PM
HoverLoW

Hey everybody.

Like I said some posts ago, my Do was loosing the covering and after to loose the firewall in flight (thank God she crashed in some soft plants and didn't broke), I decided to recover her again.

Here is some pics of my cover job. Sorry the bad quality, but I took it from my mobile phone camera.

Personally, I think it's a piece of crap. At the beginning, it seemed to be a good idea. But now, looking to the Do, I don't like it.

But at least she will fly again.

Best regards!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90606.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	894071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57017.jpg
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	894072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89439.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	894073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl26764.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	894074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm74404.jpg
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	894075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Md52637.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	894076  
Old 03-03-2008, 07:38 PM
opjose

Nice job on the covering!

Wow is the UCD a fragile plane... breath on it too hard and it will crush...

Old 03-04-2008, 03:23 AM
piroflip2

ORIGINAL: opjose

Nice job on the covering!

Wow is the UCD a fragile plane... breath on it too hard and it will crush...

No, it is not fragile. It is very strong for a 3d model.
As with all ARTFs it is VERY important to go over all the film overlap joints with a warm iron and then press the joints with a soft cloth until the glue goes cold. This must be done before the model is flown. Once oil gets under the film the model is on the way out.

regards piroflip
Old 03-04-2008, 11:07 AM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i like the covering job Hoverlow, looks good[8D]

i am on my third 60 size and found that they are well built but you do have to keep an eye on the firewall for separation and if caught in time you can avoid the total failure.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

gjeffers...

Good to see you are still flying and posting...wow! skiis!?!?!? My friends are always trying to get me to fly in the snow. Maybe one of these days I'll try it. This year we have still got a lot of snow. I'm super anxious to fly and I haven't been able to since November.

You inspire me.

thanks
Barry
Old 03-05-2008, 01:19 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: piroflip2

No, it is not fragile. It is very strong for a 3d model.
I don't know... it seems very fragile to me.

I broke the wing tips merely trying to push the wing onto the tubes, while turning the tubes to help. I was not pushing hard at all.

If you pick up the wings by the balsa sheeting, your finger pressure is enough to crush the sheeting.

My old ( and also relatively fragile ) Funtana 90 looks quite strong when compared to my Giant UCD.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:26 PM
rclement

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

gjeffers...

Good to see you are still flying and posting...wow! skiis!?!?!? My friends are always trying to get me to fly in the snow. Maybe one of these days I'll try it. This year we have still got a lot of snow. I'm super anxious to fly and I haven't been able to since November.

You inspire me.

thanks
Barry
Wow Barry! You still have snow! [X(] I can't imagine that. We get a lot of rain and wind here through the winter but it doesn't last long and we still get to fly through the winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.