Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Ultra Stick 40 broke motor mount

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Ultra Stick 40 broke motor mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 11:38 AM
C. McManamay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Stick 40 broke motor mount

The factory motor mount on my Ultra Stick 40 broke luckely the plane was on the ground. I had just started the engine and the throtle stuck wide open so I sqeezed the fuel line so the engine would quit and the engine started shakeing and the motor mount broke. Does anyone know of a motor mount that is nylon/plastic that will fit in the same mounting hole as the factory motor mount?
Old 02-15-2004, 11:58 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Stick 40 broke motor mount

Yep, Dave Brown mount will do it for about $4.00. It's fiberglass, very strong and much lighter (stock one is 5 ounces). I just did mine due to all the reports I heard of them braking. You have to redrill the blind nuts. Plug the old ones with just epoxy or a dowl and epoxy. I just put pieces of masking tape on the inside, positioned the fuse with the nose pointing straight up and poured the epoxy into the holes. I made sure it was flat before it dried. I used a piece of long control rod and let the blind nut slide down it into the inside of the fuse on the new hole. Then I put my finger inside the hole in the firewall (from the outside) and held the blind nut in place while I threaded the new bolts into them. Then I tightened them to seat the new blind nut teeth into the firewall. After all four were done THEN I installed the engine mount. A little tricky to say the least. If you have a hatch on top of the nose of the fuse it would be much easier.

My C.G. moved back about 1/2" to 3/4" due to the 46FX being closer to the firewall and the mount being much lighter. And that's a good thing because the CG in the manual is probably conservative.

Joe
Old 02-15-2004, 12:11 PM
zetor
My Feedback: (2)

I messed up pretty good doing this. I glued the dowel rods in but they weren't flush with the back side of the firewall. The new blind nuts overlaped with the protruding dowel pins and I had to cut a hatch on the bottom to get in there with a dremel and grind them down. I messed up again when I glued the hatch back permenantly. If I was going to have to go to the trouble to cut a hatch, I might as well have made it removabe with screws. I realized this when I was putting my tank in. I ground grooves in the back of the mount for the fuel lines to go through. This allowed me to mount the engine all the way back without pinching the lines.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:15 PM
gmeyer-RCU
My Feedback: (9)

I have a spare engine mount from my H9 aresti 40 I did not use it if you would like it let me know. Greg
Old 02-16-2004, 11:03 AM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

I used an aluminum OS mount in mine with a 46 FX. Cost a bit more, but then engine is secured.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:06 PM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

You really don't have to redo the blind nuts. If you use the supplied mount as a template you can just drill new holes in the Dave Brown or Kraft mount and then just mount it to the factory installed blind nuts. Worked like a charm with I did it and eliminated all the hassle of redoing the firewall.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:32 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: GBR2

You really don't have to redo the blind nuts. If you use the supplied mount as a template you can just drill new holes in the Dave Brown or Kraft mount and then just mount it to the factory installed blind nuts. Worked like a charm with I did it and eliminated all the hassle of redoing the firewall.
Too bad I didn't think of this. Oh well I learned something.

Joe