Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CG Matrix Flight Report...

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CG Matrix Flight Report...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 07:48 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CG Matrix Flight Report...

Today was absolutely perfect for initial flight tests. First hour or so was dead calm. Then the wind picked up, quite gusty at times. So I got to see how she handles calm and wind. Here's what I found:

Mine definitely needs the extra tail weight (see the other Matrix thread for the story on that), as I needed four clicks of up elevator trim immediately. The nose drops quite a bit in an aileron turn, and like a rock when you roll inverted or chop the throttle on final approach. Also the pitch trim is quite sensitive at different throttle settings. All of this is evidence of a nose-heavy condition. Once I realized that (like I didn't know it was going to happen), I could compensate for it and drive on.

This airplane is very smooth and stable. On low rates, it flies just like a pattern ship. There's more to that wing than meets the eye; I was worried about how skinny it is in the chord at the tips, but I just could not make the airplane stall and snap unless inputting deliberate snap roll inputs at high rates. Neither wing dropped; it just dropped the nose and kept mushing when slowed down to the point where it stopped flying. Now, this may well be because of the nose-heavy condition. With the CG farther back, it might be a different animal in this department.

The flying tail is VERY sensitive; I have 30% expo on low rates, and 80% on high. Those big elevators are very effective, yet I noticed no tendency for the model to snap out during hard pitch inputs. The Matrix will make a square corner with no sweat. The rudder is very effective as well. I had to dial in some expo on it to slow it down, because I was zig-zagging all over the runway on take off. Knife edge flight is very "clean"; i.e., the tail is not noticeably down like on a lot of so-called aerobatic models.

Suggested low rates on the ailerons (3/8" up and down) are not enough; use a half inch. Suggested low rates for elevator are fine.

Since I ended up using two elevator servos (see that other thread for why), I have ailevators set up. At max throws, the roll rate is simply blinding; there's no other word for it.

Since I had a nose-heavy ship on my hands, I didn't bother to try any "3D". Landing was a bit of a dance at first, but only because I came in hot the first two times to avoid a snap. Once I realized the airplane was not going to bite, I slowed her right down and even drug it on the prop at a high AOA. Once I get the balance right, it will be a *****cat to land.

Speaking of props, what I have on there is not exactly the best; a DynaThrust 13x6. But it was all I had handy, and I wasn't going to buy a "good" prop until I saw how it flew. An APC 14x4 will be enroute Monday. Might try an APC 13x6 sport stick too (the skinny one, as opposed to the fat-blade 14x4). That was the best prop on the Contender.

Anyway, a combination of marginal propellor and excessive nose-heaviness prevented me from a thorough evaluation. But I flew the model enough to be convinced it has potential. Too bad it was such a PITA to assemble and set up. Wonder of wonders, everything worked- the Dubro fuel valve, the MPI on-board glow, etc.

I'm still not exactly thrilled with this airplane, but I'm glad to know that is not the pig in a poke I thought it would be.

BTW, be VERY careful handling the model; it is every bit as fragile as the UCD, especially on the turtle deck and empennage.

Old 03-21-2004, 08:29 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Default RE: CG Matrix Flight Report...

Hey Steve

Glad first flight went OK.
Didn't get to fly the Matrix at all Saturday then it rained hard Sunday morning.
The rain finally cleared up so off to the flying field. Almost no wind and slightly
cloudy , perfect flying weather.
Takeoff was smooth and only needed 2 clicks up trim so everything felt good. I was
surprised the ailerons were not that sensitive even though they are so large. The rudder
has so much authority it will do stall turns easily on low rates. The elevator is very
positive feeling , not sensitive , but very powerful and will execute square corners
with ease. It rolls very axial and stops sharply when the control is released.
You are right about the stalls , very clean with no wing tip dropping, make it very easy
to land.
Mine has a slight pitch to the canopy when doing knife edge and I think needs a little
weight in the left wing tip to offset the engine and also the rudder servo is on the right
side ( I should have changed that ) but overall I am very happy with the first flights.
It definitely flies like a pattern ship which is what I wanted it to do anyway. I only got in
two flights as the muffler bolts worked loose and the cowl has to be removed to get to them
and it was late anyway so I called it a day. I wish all first flights went this smooth.
Will make a few adjustments and really give it a workout the next good flying day we have.
Hope you have continued good flying with yours.

tommy s
Old 03-22-2004, 09:30 AM
LSP972

Glad to hear yours did well.

No doubt about it, this is one very honest model. I forgot to mention that it handles wind VERY well.

I've got weight added to the tail now; started off with two ounces, and will re-check the CG point this evening. The long-range forecast for the week-end is good; do I should be able to fully check the airplane out then.

Another thing that surprised me is the ground handling. With those swept-back wheels actually behind the wing LE, I was sure it would be prone to nose-overs. Nope; just hold up elevator and she will taxi around anywhere you want to go.

Right now, it looks like a keeper. After all the effort I put into it, that is a bit gratifying. However, I am re-thinking my attitude toward ARFs. I'll do a lot more research before buying the next one, for sure.

Old 03-22-2004, 09:53 AM
Swiftflier
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

So good to hear the good reviews. Finished mine up this weekend with a new OS 70 Surpass II (couldn't afford the pumped version). Did some breakin on the engine. However, the weather here in Lancaster, PA stinks! Too windy Sunday to fly and Saturday I was wall papering all day but it was blowing 40 mph + outside anyway.

Glad to hear about the steadiness and landing characteristics. Did your wheel pants present any problems?

I'll let you know, hopefully this week, when I get mine airborne. See my gallary for pics.

Good flying. Bruce
Old 03-22-2004, 11:21 AM
tommy s

Hey Bruce
Didn't have any problems with wheel pants but I fly from a paved runway.
If you fly from grass you might need larger wheels.
I think you'll like the way it flies.
By the way , I moved the landing gear back about 3/4" to clear the muffler
and the ground handling is still very good.

tommy s
Old 03-22-2004, 11:36 AM
LSP972

No drama on the wheel pants, Bruce; you DID add another attachment/securing point above the axles, yes? Also, I put 2.5" wheels in there, as I fly off grass and needed the extra diameter.

Have you checked your engine for inverted running? Every OS Surpass I've seen running inverted needed on-board glow to make it totally reliable at extended low throttle settings. I've been told that its all in the tuning, etc. Perhaps; but I've been running Surpass engines for 15 years now, so I have somewhat of an idea how to tune one.

If all you intend to do is crank up, firewall it for take-off, then never get below half throttle until time to land, then maybe you CAN tune one for reliable inverted running. One of the "experts", who made it plain he thought I didn't know what I was doing, ran his inverted 70 Surpass this way. I challenged him to some extended low throttle applications, to show me the error of my ways. He declined...

Anyway, this could be a problem for you. I installed an MPI on-board electronic system. It wasn't inexpensive, and somewhat of a PITA to install (as any on-board system, in the cramped space available in the Matrix, would be), but so far performs flawlessly, and was a near no-brainer to set-up and install. You have to pay attention when soldering the various hook-ups, etc, and plan your installation with a bit of care. But it is not difficult, just very time-consuming. Its one of those deals that would have been easier to do as you built a kit, instead of adding it to a completed airframe.

Good luck on your maiden flights. Add some more aileron throw on low rate; otherwise, set it up as they describe.

Old 03-22-2004, 01:50 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

nice review, you gents have any pics to share of the bird?
Old 03-22-2004, 03:17 PM
tommy s

Will try to post some tonight if I can figure out how. ( Computer illiterate ) !!!

tommy s
Old 03-22-2004, 03:55 PM
CCRC1

Steve, glad to hear the Matrix is making you smile now. I was very pleased about your flying report. I am not a big 3-D flyer and I bought my Matrix to fly as a "Pattern trainer". I was hoping that it had "Kaos" characteristics in an ARF. I am putting the finishing touches on my scratch built Kaos hybrid that has been occupying my time for the last couple of months. When I get done I will throw together the Matrix.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:57 PM
LSP972

<<..Kaos characteristis..>>

Good analogy; on low rates, it flies just like a Kaos. Take extra care to zero out both elevator halves exactly. Mine were off by a brunette, and the plane had a slight dutch roll to it. I would have never figured it out so quickly if I hadn't had calm air for the first two flights.

Here ya go, Kid...

Thanks for the kind words, but before you get too excited, find the other thread about the supplied elevator bellcrank assembly. That needs to go...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60608.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	114319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh18887.jpg
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	114320  
Old 03-22-2004, 09:39 PM
SunShyne

thanks for the pics Steve!

the ailerons are bigger than I thought, looks like it can handle some 3D with the right motor.

What motors are you guys using in your birds?

thanks

matt
Old 03-22-2004, 10:11 PM
LSP972

Lessee; I have a 70 Surpass, Tommy has a 46 two-banger, dayspring has a 70 Surpass II (non-pumped), and CCRC1 is planning on putting the 70 Surpass Ultimate (pumped) in his.

I wouldn't go less than a strong .46 or .50 two stroke, or 70/72 four stroke. I wouldn't go any bigger, either. Even with that cheesy DynaThrust prop, mine has excellent vertical. Can't wait to try the APC 14x4W.

As for 3D, the plane has tremendous control authority at high rates. I tried a few snaps on high rate, and the plane wrapped up into a ball faster can a cat can lick its butt. In fact, the manual specifically states that they will not warranty the model for any resulting flutter from flying the plane too fast. Not to worry, just seal the hinge gaps and everything will be fine. This model is VERY agile on high rates. Use plenty of expo there; it is needed.

Old 03-22-2004, 11:09 PM
SunShyne

damnit Steve!!! [:@]

I have 3 planes waiting for their maiden flights and I promised myself I wouldnt buy anymore for a while and you got my "Buy Now" finger twitching with your flight report and those beutiful pics.

now ya done it...

lol

Old 03-23-2004, 07:46 AM
LSP972

Sorry...

Old 03-23-2004, 08:41 AM
tommy s

Actually I have a SuperTigre Bluehead .60 in mine and would not recommend anything
smaller. The 60 2-stroke pulls it real well but a .40 / .46 would be marginal. It would fly
OK but would suffer in the verticals.

tommy s
Old 03-23-2004, 11:00 AM
Swiftflier

Hey Tommy and Steve,

I'm trying to put a pic here. If it doesn't work check my gallary for pics.

I put the 2 1/2 inch wheels on and did secure with a second point above the axle. My muffler is ok. It's a little breeze but I think I'm heading to the field over lunch for the maiden flight.

I do not have the on board glow. I did hold the plane in all sorts of positions and the engine didn't sputter at all but I will probably pick up the glow system. I'm using Omega pink 15% as another fellow in our club has been using it in his 70 for a couple of years. Any thoughts on the fuel?

What amount of expo did you use and was it on the ailerons and elevator both? How about the rudder?

Thanks for all the good info.

Bruce
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44648.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	114553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76141.jpg
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	114554  
Old 03-23-2004, 12:30 PM
tommy s

I used 20% on ailerons only. I don't think I will need much on elevator as it responds very
positively but is not super sensitive. Rudder has super authority and as I said will do stall
turns on low rate. You can use more aileron travel than they recommend even though they
are very large , probably around 1/2" on low rate. You shouldn't have any problems as it is
a very smooth airplane. I only got in two flights last weekend but I liked it very much.

Good luck

tommy s

PS: use low rate rudder on initial takeoff as rudder is very efective and can make for
squirrely zig-zag takeoff if you're not careful.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:56 PM
Swiftflier

Tommy,

Couldn't wait for calm, warm weather. Got to the field over lunch, warmed the engine up but did notice that I have to hold up elevator for taxing. It did want to nose over if it hit a bump at taxi speed. Wind was gusting about 45 degrees across the run way about 20-30 mph at times.

My adrenalin was pumping on low-rate take off. Plane immediately turned to the left - trimmed the ailerons and bumped the elevator two clicks up. Flew great. Put it on hi rates for a few seconds, pulled it up then hard down elevator, right aileron, left rudder and it became a blur chasing it's _ss inside out! All this on about a quarter throttle. Then tried a knife edge into the wind with only a tiny bit of rudder and it still wanted to climb. By then my nerves were about shot and I made a couple of slow fly bys checking for stability and landed like a feather. Very stable.

After landing I checked all the linkages and noticed that both aileron servos were loose on the back end. I'll pull them out tonight and beef up the mounting plate. Sure wouldn't want to loose one or both. Did yours stay tight? Everything else went fine.

Can't wait for a nice day to really try some stuff with it.

Bruce
Old 03-23-2004, 07:13 PM
LSP972

Sounds great, Bruce. Also sounds like your engine is doing right.

Omega is good fuel. Just be aware it has a lot of castor (50/50 castor/synthetic), which could gum up your valves if the engine isn't run regularly. But you won't have to worry about bearing rust...

I run Cool Power 15% (all synthetic) with an ounce of castor per gallon for bearing protection.

I have 30% expo on elevator and aileron at low rate, and 80% on high. 30% on rudder, but that's just to tame the ground handling.

I beefed up all the servo mounting blocks with some 1/4" square spruce underneath. These Pacific Rim ARFs persist in using lite ply for servo blocks. Bad juju.

Sorry about that, Tommy; forgot you had a .60 in there.

Old 03-23-2004, 09:02 PM
tommy s

Hey guys

Forgot to mention the servo trays. I did not use the stock trays either. I used plywood but
got some good stuff that is thicker than the original then doubled up with a narrow strip on
the ends where the screws go. That thin stuff makes me nervous.

tommy s
Old 03-25-2004, 09:43 AM
Swiftflier

Tommy and Steve,

Second flight yesterday after securing servos. I do think I'm still a bit nose heavy and am going to ad a couple of ounces to the tail today. Installed a glow driver last night to help compensate for low idle. I just don't want a dead stick on my hands because of any inverted engine issues. Man does this thing handle nicely. Both days were windy and landing was not an issue at all.

I am going to bump up the elevator and rudder expo a good bit. Can't wait for that perfect weather day.

Bruce
Old 03-25-2004, 09:59 AM
tommy s

Hey guys,

Had to remove the cowl to secure the muffler that had worked loose and noticed small cracks developing
already in the cowl. Don't know if they are all this way but mine is very thin. I decided to reinforce it.
Took some finishing resin and layed in an extra layer of lightweight f-glass cloth inside the cowl. Didn't
add hardly any weight but made the cowl much stiffer. Redrilled the original mounting holes and it still
fits perfectly. I should have done this while I was assembling it cause I always thought it was too thin , but
you know how that goes (" I'll do it later "). Keep an eye on yours , might be harder to repair if large cracks
develop.

tommy s
Old 03-25-2004, 01:26 PM
LSP972

Dang it; I KNEW I had forgotten to do something.

I told myself a half-dozen times, while doing the front end; "Gotta reinforce this paper-thin cowl". It seems to be made of polyester resin, too; more fragile than epoxy. I DID remember to reinforce the mounting holes, with six-ounce cloth and CA. And I smooth forgot to do the rest of it. Tommy, did you use epoxy resin?

Bruce, was your engine acting up at idle, or did you fit the on-board glow as a precaution?

I added two ounces just ahead of the rudder post; we'll see how that works this week-end.

Old 03-25-2004, 05:48 PM
Swiftflier

Tommy,

Mine too - developed cracks in the cowl. Also, deadsticked today and ran into some taller grass which snagged the wheel pants and cracked one on the seam. While I'm reinforcing the cowl I'm going to do both wheel pants as well.

I think my tank was too far back or my idle too low. I think I need to set pretty high idle with this new 70 surpass II. I put in a glow ignitor last night and should have tried starting the engine. Got to the field today and the blooming thing didn't work. Had to use the glow stick. Not sure why. I had it hooked into the gear receiver slot as the slave to the throttle. I think I'll bite the bullet and just use a y harness off the throttle slot. I really want to get that thing working.

When you put weight in the tail where and how did you secure it?

Bruce
Old 03-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Swiftflier

Steve,

Regarding my engine I would have to run it a while and get it warmed up before removing the glow stick. When I did remove the glow stick the idle went considerably lower and if I didn't increase the throttle to a faster rpm it would sit there and die. When I flew it I noticed that on initial takeoff it seemed to want to slow down for just a few seconds but once airborne everything was fine. Do you think it could be that I need to have the tank closer to the front. It is the original tank and is about half way into the front compartment. I wonder if it's just having a tough time pulling the fuel that far. Any ideas?

Bruce

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.