Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Recommend me a model please

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Recommend me a model please

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 03:01 PM
ggordon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend me a model please

Hi,
I need a new model to fly. I love flying my .40 size Cap 232 anywhich way but straight and level. I have the engine throttle back for scale like performance. The only problem is that the Cap 232 goes too fast for an airshow type aerobatic routine that stays "in the box".

So, I am looking for a scale aerobatic model that will fly slow enough for this task. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 09-08-2004, 03:28 PM
joeb102072
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Recommend me a model please

You can slow down any type of aerobat and not decrease power by reproping it. What size engine and prop is on your plane now?
Old 09-08-2004, 03:34 PM
LearjetMech

A clipped cub or a Decathlon/Citabria
Old 09-08-2004, 03:36 PM
ggordon

Excellent point about the prop. I have a Saito 72 in the Kyosho .40 Cap 232. Prop is a Zinger 13-7. I guess I need a flatter pitch for slower speed and better vertical performance. I really don't need the speed. What size prop would you recommend?

Thanks,
-Glenn
Old 09-08-2004, 03:59 PM
Bob101

For "normal" speed on a saito .72 I use a 13x6, but for 3-D and slowing it way down I use a 14x4W APC prop.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:44 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glen ... my pal has the same plane with the same engine, it can fly slow. He will putter is around (not as slow as a Cub) and it flies nice. Perhaps you might be a little worried to fly slower? Of course he is on a 13x6 prop. How's your idle?
Old 09-09-2004, 04:12 AM
SENZA

ggordan, I own an extra witch i feel the same way about we proped it down for landing purposes, witch worked great but this and i would amagine with any extra it flys at only one speed fast or it will drop like a rock!......I just resently purchased a [link=http://www.aero-works.net/store/]aeroworks 540T[/link] EDGE in witch i find a sweet flyer at low speeds this plane just dosent want to land i have to input down elavator to land it .... I installed a OS46FX 12.25 x 3.75 prop witch is more than enough power and no weight added .this plane is ultra light but sturdy and a fun flyer check them out. its like flying a kite with no strings attached lol...its high and wide wing enable it to float better...its buy fare the best arf ive built yet.. my son owns a ucando 46 witch is a floater but i enjoy flying this more and it atracts alot of attention at the feild Good luck Bill
Old 09-09-2004, 07:55 AM
ggordon

tIANci,

You probably are onto something about me being hesitant to fly it slow. It will tip stall with little warning when I slow it down, too slow obviously. At slower thottle settings and airspeed, I don't have enough energy to get through the maneuvers. I will try experimenting with some lower pitch props. That will let me fly slower and at a high power setting, but the thrust will be there for my vertical maneuvers. I think a 14x4 would be a drastic jump, especially since my goal is not to fly 3D. BTW,Idle is nice and low.

Thanks!
Glenn