Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 New Miss America P-51...  I saw one today >

New Miss America P-51... I saw one today

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Miss America P-51... I saw one today

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 12:47 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Miss America P-51... I saw one today

Yup...Nice nose over...but look on the brite side..taking an inch or so off the prop will give you a few more RPM....

Still my favorite move is when you land in the grass.....

THe grass adds a lot of resistance on rollout..and she slowly noses over....
You add "UP" to get the tail down...but not enough to balloon...and as the plane's speed slows ..the elevator becomes more and more powerless to keep the prop from eating dirt.

You reward is your beautiful Miss A..On the field, nose down and helpless...ARRRGGGHHHHH WHY DOES THERE HAVE TO BE STANDING ROOM ONLY IN THE PITS WHEN THIS HAPPENS?!?!?

Larry
Old 10-03-2005, 10:11 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The paved runway is a nice luxury except if you nose over. I fly from a grass field and when the grass is not cut short my MA will nose over no matter what I do to prevent it. But, with yours you should be able to simply hold up elevator on low rates the whole way while taking off. As I recall, the reccomended elevator throw for low rates is way too high. I think I cut mine in half and I then could hold it the whole way and still have good scale take offs. This shouldn't happen on pavement. If you have a Saito 100 in it, from pavement it should be in the air after about 10-15 feet rollout. All I need with mine is full up elevator on take off and a little right rudder and it's up after about 15 ft. rollout.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:17 AM

Hi Proulxlaw, don't think its elevator as this was not the first time the plane had flown. It was the first time it has nosed over on take off. As I stated in the post, the wheels were not rolling freely, acting as brakes.

My throws are correct as well.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:47 PM

Shakes....I enjoyed your video...but if you will follow my advice and try this before your take-off roll, give the elevator trim tab on your transmitter 4-5 clicks of up trim before your roll-out and you won't have any problems of noseover. On my first flight with my MA, I had the same problem and corrected it by doing this procedure and haven't been bothered with the nose-over problem since. The plane will pretty much take off by itself with a beautiful roll. Simply take the trim out after getting airborne if it wants to climb to badly. Add the trim back before you land for a great roll-out. You might save a prop and keep your spinner shiney and purdy also.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:30 PM

Ifly, the trim did not change between this video and the time it flew before. I had a beautiful take off the week before and nothing changed with the trim. The difference was that I put new wheels on it, did not put a wheel collar between the strut and the wheel (thought it was fine) and the holes drilled in the wheel were not large enough with the wheel binding enough. Each time I picked up the plane after the nose over, you can see that the wheels were toeing in more from sliding on the axle and binding against the strut - putting on the brakes, twisting the wheel to the inside and nosing over.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:35 PM
My Feedback: (2)

For what its worth, my first take offs were better as i brought up the throttle ever so slowly with up elevator as there was more runway speed therefore more air passing over the tail surface thus more stable. Once I had more confidence I then started to go from a slow roll to full throttle right away and nose over after nose over. Give a try to a slow increase in throttle, use more runway and see if that helps.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:44 PM

What helped is drilling the holes more and putting on wheel collars. This post wasn't asking "What am I doing wrong?" When I knew the problem.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:21 PM

So Shakes, you opened up the holes for the wheels and now they dont bind. The nose overs are gone?
Old 10-03-2005, 06:24 PM

Correct - these were new wheels, a little smaller to fit the wheel wells better since I had put the spring air retracts in it. It took off fine before putting on the wheels but after some tweaking with them its back to normal.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:28 PM

I have added the shim (ice cream stick) at the trailing edge of the spring air mount in the wing to chang the angle as Larry reccomended. I havent tried it out yet. Did you do it too and how did it work?
Old 10-03-2005, 06:31 PM

No sure didn't. I never had problems with mine until I changed out the wheels - they were tough to turn with my hand but I thought they might be ok. I also noticed that the wheels would slide in on the axle and rub the strut causing friction and binding when they would hit. A couple of wheel collars fixed that.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:34 PM

OK thanks, I used some washers from the start to space the wheels out. I still nose over abit or leap into the sky.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:48 PM

Shakes...good to hear that you have your problem fixed. I wasn't implying that you were doing something wrong, just merely passing along what worked for me.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:49 PM
My Feedback: (57)

hey shakes,have you tried to shim the backside of your landing gear. my miss was doing the same thing and I drilled the center of my wheels out to give more rolling speed. and it still nosed over.so I talked to my LHS and they said to shim it,I did and wow it worked great.I had no more problems to this day
Old 10-04-2005, 07:57 PM

Flyboy, how much did you shim the gear? Are you saying there is no more tendency to nose over now that you added the shims?
Old 10-05-2005, 07:27 AM
My Feedback: (57)

about the thinkness of a popcicle stick. And no my bird runs down the runway straight,no tip overs. give it a shot those props get real expensive lol
Old 10-06-2005, 05:41 PM

It's "three for a nickel" now. I have broken 3 of these pipes off of my Saito 100s. They have each broken in the same place and all while the planes were in the air. The muffler fortunately has remained dangling from the pressure line each time and I have not lost one.

Has anyone else had this problem? When I spoke to the Horizon rep he said he knew of them loosening but, not breaking.

So far Horizon has been good about getting a new one right out but, when it happens the day ends early at the field unless I had brought other planes to fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76535.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	335106  
Old 10-06-2005, 07:31 PM

YES, there has been several guys at our field that had their's break at exactly the same place! There must be a design flaw don't ya think? I would think they (saito or horizon) would know that by now!
Old 10-06-2005, 07:58 PM

Could be why they don't ask any questions when I call to whine for a new one. I installed a Saito 100 in my H9 Corsair also.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93430.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	335149  
Old 10-10-2005, 10:40 PM

Just a short question ....what changes have been made to MA since first released to improve her? Have the problems that have been reported been addressed? I am a new member and although the workmanship of the MA seems great at first glance it would be nice to know that Hanger-9 is making the changes needed to make building and flying MA more enjoyable. I have purchased a MA and like you, hope for a long life and I have learned a great deal from your posts... OK, so it wasn't a short question....

Thanks, Bob
Old 10-15-2005, 05:16 PM

Miss America....May She Rest In Peace!

I had my FINAL mishap with my Miss A today....

I was only able to get 2 flights on a brand new wing!

Last flight I was on the base leg for a landing, and thought I was alone on the line...when I guy Yells "Hand Launching" right behind me.

I shallow up my decent and add a little throttle, I look back and say to go ahead..( He was already cocked back to throw no matter what I would have said anyway)

He leaves the runway area as I turn for a HIGH final.

I call "Landing" and drop the nose...
I've got a lot of altitude to loose ..so come in steep. TOO STEEP......

As I level out for a long final I realize that the saplings on the end of the runway have sure grown up a bit in the cooler weather were having....Just as I hear the top most branches SMACK the right wing!

She lost so much airspeed..there was nothing to do but FULL UP elevator and watch her hit Flat Belly!

Tore the gear blocks out, ripped open the wing...and damaged the Cowel!

I had already sworn this was her last repair...so this afternoon I removed all my gear...and laid her to rest.

I must say..she flew like a bird..but the gear setup drove me to drink!

She was my first and LAST retract bird...at least for a while!

THanks to everyone on this thread for all their input and wisdom..

You will find me haunting the Vectorflight Edge 340 66" threads now....

The choice of the vectorflight was a no brainer....all my gear from the Miss A will fit right in..the YS 110 is about a perfect match...

And for the cost of a relacement wing and Bellyscoop for the Miss A...I got an entire new plane!

I will have a set of Frank Tiano metal retracts, 1 sets of Robart Mechanical retracts(NIB), and 2 sets of Great Plains (NIB)(identical to the factory Miss A Gear) retracts, and a new set of wheel wells (NIB) for the Miss in the classifieds shortly...

Thanks again..I'll miss the Miss...

Larry
Old 10-15-2005, 05:23 PM

Sorry to hear that Larry. Thanks for your help with mine. I fly a Vector Flight 300 Extra and their 540 Edge too. If you have any questions just let me know.
Jack
Old 10-16-2005, 10:46 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Awww, bummer Larry![]
Old 10-16-2005, 12:08 PM

Just for the record, Horizon replaced the third one without any questions. They did however, deny any knowledge of a problem with breakage with this particular pipe.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:31 PM

Larry, I hate that happened to you! May she rest in peace now with no worries of retract troubles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.