Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CMPro Christen eagle

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CMPro Christen eagle

Old 11-26-2004, 07:19 AM
Vortec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CMPro Christen eagle

Any one own this plane or seen it fly?
It wants a 108 2c or a 120 4c but id like to put my Moki 180 in the nose,could this be to much motor?
Id love a bi plane and i think this one is the go.
Any thoughts to how it flys and a motor combo?
Old 11-26-2004, 03:51 PM
Sneakypete
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: CMPro Christen eagle

I have the Christen Eagle that you are talking about. I purchased the ARF from Jamara in Germany. It is a very nice ARF. I have a 1.08 in mine. A Moki should fly the plane with authority. I think you would have a handful with the Moki. You would need to replace the fuel tank as it is only 470cc. With a Moki of that size it would probably give you 6-7 minutes of flighttime.

I like it.

Thanks
Sneakypete
Old 11-27-2004, 08:53 AM
WILDMAN 420
My Feedback: (1)

have a look at the seagull Christian eagle, it is apparently a very well built arf, and it is truer to scale and looks.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:17 PM
Vortec

Sneakypete,

how does the 108 fly it.

i like to have more power than i need but i dont want to go to big and kill the flight performance of the aircraft.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Sneakypete
My Feedback: (5)

Vortec,

The plane weighs 12.5 lbs. The 1.08 flies it in more than a scale like manner. It will do everything you ask it to do. I am very satisfied with the kit as well as the plane. The Moki 180 could be overkill, but it should be a thrilling setup

Thanks,
Sneakypete
Old 05-19-2005, 09:05 AM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Sneakypete,

Did you have to add weight to the nose to get it to balance with the 106? I am thinking of purchasing one of these and maybe powering it with a smaller gas like a YW-24 or a smaller zdz engine.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:31 AM
Davo53

Hi My sons christen eagle had a 160 magum twin four stroke and we had too put 567grams in the nose too get the CG correct, performance not very good, so now we are going to use a Moki 1.8 two stroke so we can get more performance and also reduce the nose weight ,as it was far too much ,. l will let you all know the outcome of the christen eagle,
Old 05-20-2005, 08:51 AM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Thanks for the info Davo53. Do you guys have any pics of yours? And please let me know how much weight to balance once u get the moki on it. Thanks again for the info guys.

Michael
Old 05-28-2005, 10:03 AM
tzin

hi,
i just buy one and i need to select engine. i have 3 engine on my mind:
1. saito 4 stroke 150 golden knight
2. os 160 2 stroke
3. moki 180 2 stroke (like yours)

what do you thing will be the best engine to this plane? did it fly nice and easy? did you put extra weight on the nose?

thanks
nir
Old 06-02-2005, 05:08 AM
Davo53

Hi Michael, We are going too use a Super Tiger 3250 as we couldn't get a Moki at the right price, l am also going to strip off the covering and we are going too fibre glass the Eagle as well as using Sig coverall where needed and then Re-Paint the Eagle with different colour feathers, so l will be a while before we Re- fly the Christen Eagle, when l get closer to paint stage l will post pics of the paint scheme, l know we might have a bit too much power but as l look at the charactiscs of the flying the Eagle l don't mind all that extra power, as they say you can always throtle back the power.

Davo
Old 11-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Al Lewis
Banned

I just finished mine and had an O.S. 160FX laying around so I threw it in. Have a APC 18x6W prop on it but haven't had the time to maiden it yet. All Servos are high torgue metal gears except for the rudder which is super high torque. Plane seems to balance okay on the recommended CG but I'm not real happy about tying the ailerons together with rods. Four servos would have been much better. Anything you guys can tell me about maidening this thing would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73536.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	554135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42818.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	554136  
Old 11-04-2006, 12:38 PM
georgee

Hi Lou55,

I"ve got the same ship,having a 1.80 MOki gasser inthe nose,18x10 prop.Servos are Hs475 hb,Fut 3oo3 for the throttle,Optic6 qpcm.Nice plane,my second gasser.Its maiden was in august.Since then I"ve flown a lot with it.
The engine is super for this plane,cca. 35 min flightime on 75 ml gas,powerful enough and has a scale-like sound.Very stable in the air easy to fly once in the air.Take care at take offs, the plane needs speed before you gently pull the elevator/low rate/Landings are a bit different from monoplanes, slowing down fast when the engine is on idle.My tipycal approach is:After the 1st 90 degree turn I let it running on high idle until I do the 2 nd turn when I reach the threshold go on idle and flare it.Need some practice but you will love it.Very nice in the air.

George
Old 11-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

Thanks for the tips. I've flown a Super Stearman before so I'm VERY familiar with the slowing down on final!!! LOL Take a look!
http://media.putfile.com/Death-of-a-Super-Stearman-90
Old 11-04-2006, 01:12 PM
georgee

Well,

You are absolutely right what you wrote at the end of the clip.I"m sorry but the truth is, the Eagle is not so forgiving like the Stearman but you will be do it. Just take care,don"t pull hard the elevator at slow speed, the eagle has a relativly high take off speed.Until you reach it, it is essential to use the elevator to hold the tail parallel with the ground with the use of a small amount of elevator and use the rudder countersteer if needed.On the video it was obvious that it t was your 1st biplane.Good luck with the Eagle.You will love it.So much fun for this price.

George
Old 11-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

Thanks again!! Good flying!
Old 11-04-2006, 03:05 PM
JoeVen

Nice finishing Lou, I hope past experience with your Stearman will you help fly the Eagle like an eagle.
My canopy came clear of origin, did you die yours in black? how did you do?
It was more than a year somebody was asking advice for the powerplant, I decided for best deal betwen price and weight on gasoline power, so I put a CrrCpro 45 cc (2.4 cu in) engine and still with this 1680 grams (3.8 lb) ballast in the nose the plane´s CG was a little aft!! see engine at: [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3186031/mpage_39/key_/tm.htm#[/link]
However, I´ve flown it two times succesfully...
My eagle will be flying again once a glitching servo problem be solved, I´ve browsed the web reading and looking for buffered leads, filters, noise traps, opto isolators, it was driving me nut but finally I knew my Futaba R127DP 7ch Rx is unable to drive the current pulses from the Hobbico CS-70 high torque tail servos.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

Thanks, Actually I sprayed the inside of the canopy with flat black Testors model paint and then masked the outside and sprayed the edges with gloss white. Looked way too plain with the clear canopy and all of that white cockpit showing. Just did an all-up weight and it comes in at 13lbs 10 ounces. The 160 puts out a lot more thrust then that with the 18x6W on it so it should do anything I like within the parameters of its design. I originally bought a BCMA 40cc gasser for this plane but decided to put in my Great Planes 27% CAP 232 and the 160 in this. I think I'll get a lot more use out of the 40 in the CAP. If you like the GFI45 you should check out BCMA.
http://www.bcmaengines.com/ I bought a 40 and a 26 from Adam and they are great engines at a great price. Adam will give you outstanding service also. He custom made the stand-offs to match my firewall to thrust washer distance for free AND I got a free Jersey fuel tank for buying two engines. Glad you got your glitching problem solved.

Name:	Ki19794.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	554312  
Old 11-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

Just did a straight pull digital thrust reading on my Christen Eagle with the OS 160 and an APC 18x6W prop. 18 pounds of thrust @ 8730 rpm on a plane that weighs in at 13 lbs 10 ounces. The maiden should be interesting.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:44 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

Finally got the maiden in. Plane took off strong and flew good at half throttle with the OS 160 in it and the APC 18x6W prop. Would climb hard if I applied throttle above half though. Guess I need to put a little down thrust in the engine mount. Landing was definately hot but I made it after the third pass. I'm going to need a little practice landing this thing. Flairs nicely after it slows down but takes quite a while to slow down. Funny thing was that I tried to turn it on the ground after it slowed down considerably and it flipped over on its top. No damage but you definately need to slow WAY down before turning around. Shot some video but it's pretty uneventful. http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....e=&category=mr

Name:	Ig13355.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	565995  
Old 11-24-2006, 07:23 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

That looks really good, Lou. Makes me wish I could get mine underway.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-25-2006, 02:19 AM
georgee

Congratulation Lou55! Welcome to the Eagle Owners Club!

Thanks for the cool video.I saw it several times Looked like as if it could be mine, I also painted to black the canopy.It seems the Os is enough for this plane.Many happy take offs and landings!

George
Old 11-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

Thank you!! I think I'll be putting some negative thrust into this thing before I fly it again. Wants to climb like a beast above half throttle. After that it should do anything. Definately has enough power!!
Old 02-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

Well Ed I got a brand new 26cc BCMA in the garage and it's going into the Eagle as soon as I get the time and finish my WildHare Edge 540T V2. Should make for an interesting plane. Fly fairly scale.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:34 PM
JoeVen

Very gooood for you Lou ... Please, test in your next video the low speed attitude of this plane such as is was a 3D plane. Of course keeping the bird high enough from the hard mother earth...
Mine fairly flies on 14 lbs of total weight, I´m still dealing with the GF45 needle settings. The FMA Opto4 optical isolator solved the glitching issue.
[&o][&o][&o] Sadly I crashed the landing gear so I need wheel fairings and cowling spares, have any of you mainded where to get them from?

Name:	Vt57489.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	630944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96761.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	630945  
Old 02-27-2007, 04:20 PM
l.wilber
My Feedback: (3)

Wildman 40 I found a seagull "stearman" but not a "Christian Eagle" are you sure you saw a Christian Eagle?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.