Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Matrix

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Goldberg Matrix

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 02:56 AM
dale691

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Matrix

Hi all, I have just bought a Matrix from the USA, the postage cost as much as the plane so i'm hoping it is going to be worth it. I have read some bad reviews but still decided to get one, has anyone got any good setup tips. i am hoping to be able to change the rudder control to a pull pull system has anybody done this?

Cheers
Old 06-21-2005, 03:03 AM
ICE_MAN

Default RE: Goldberg Matrix

Hmm I just had a brain fart.. I think my newest issue of FLY RC had a review on that plane... If you can get them there check it out.. If not let me know and I'll tell you what it says when I get home tomorrow
Old 06-21-2005, 05:39 AM
kennyandannie
My Feedback: (2)

Dale,

RCU has a review on this plane, look under MAGAZINE and click on REVIEWS, some pretty good info.

On mine, I went completely stock, except for the tailwheel, I used a Sullivan 40 size.

I loved the way mine flew until that pesky flutter, which was completely my fault. I drilled all of the control horns for nylon clevises before I realized the ailerons used metal ones. I knew the holes were too big, but decided to fly it anyway, just "take it easy," I told myself.

Well, a few minutes into the flight, I decided to try an inverted flat spin, not bad. I didn't pull the power down right away and went into a dive, bad move with loose clevises. Left aileron flutter curshed the servo mount area and stripped the servo. I fixed the mount area but didn't know the servo was stripped, again my fault. The left aileron locked in a turn and in went in nose first.

I liked the plane enough, I have another one on the bench.

As for the pull-pull rudder, you could move the throttle servo forward to a new mount and put the rudder servo on blocks, to clear the elevator servo. I might even do that on my next one.

Good luck,

Ken
Old 06-21-2005, 09:09 PM
ifly2

I have one on the bench. Just got a YS-63 to put in the nose. Tank on the CG, and stock Elevators. May go with a Sullivan tail wheel as well... Any thoughts on this setup? using standard HiTech HB-325 Karbonite gear servos..

Les
Old 06-22-2005, 12:13 AM
dale691

ifly2 I havn't recieved mine yet nor have i seen one, what do you think of the quality of the plane and the hardware
Old 06-22-2005, 05:08 AM
kennyandannie

Les,

That sounds like a good set-up to me. I would probably go to stronger servos on the tail feathers, but I have a tendency to use a little overkill anyway. It should fly sweet just like you have it.

Dale,

You're going to like this plane. The only bad thing I have heard on the hardware was some complaints about the bell crank for the elevators, some said it is a little cheesy. I had no problems installing mine and it worked smooth for me. Of course, I had a Hitec HS-635 servo running on 6 volts, just a little bit more torque than necessary.

I didn't get a chance to really throw my first one around the sky before the mishap, but I can tell you, it is one of the most precise flying planes I've flown for the money.

Ken

Old 06-22-2005, 05:25 AM
dale691

is there an aftermarket replacement for the bell crank, maybe a bit better quality one, that any one knows of.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:14 AM
kennyandannie

Try here,

http://www.centralhobbies.com/contro.../bellcrnk.html

Supposed to be the best.

Ken
Old 06-23-2005, 04:14 PM
touch n go 13

hi,
I just ordered my new matrix from tower for $109!!!! I have a super tiger 60 waiting for a home and 5 futaba s-3004 standard ball beraing servos w/ a 700ma 4.2v battery. Im 15 yrs old and tight on money so i cant afford much better. what are your thoughts on this setup.

thanks for your help!
Justin.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:32 PM
kennyandannie

I think it'll fly just fine on that set-up. Just remember to keep it propped to minimize the speed and keep the torque up.

Ken
Old 06-24-2005, 05:12 AM
dale691

Is the covering good quality covering or typical ARF cheep covering?
Old 06-24-2005, 05:32 AM
kennyandannie

Its the real covering, I think Goldberg uses Ultracote.
I always run an iron around the edges of the trim and shrink the rest, just to be on the safe side.

Ken
Old 06-24-2005, 06:07 AM
dale691

have you got your new one yet ken, and what motor were you using. I have a thunder tiger 46 but am concidering buying an OS 50sx what do you think would be the best?
Old 06-24-2005, 06:29 AM
kennyandannie

My new one is sitting next to the bench, going to be built right after I put my gear in my Excelleron fuse.

The 50SX would be my choice, one guy at our field is flying one with a 46AX and it flies real well, though not unlimited vertical.

My Irvine 72 is overkill, but that's what I had.

Ken
Old 06-24-2005, 06:49 AM
dale691

the other option would be a TT 61 2s, was there any difference in quality between the two planes you have had. Did you have the engine mounted inverted.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:47 AM
kennyandannie

The 61 would be awesome!! Both planes looked about the same, although I haven't gotten into the building of my second one, just looked at it. My Irvine is a 2 stroke, and I did have it mounted inverted. It will be the same on my second one.

Ken
Old 06-24-2005, 09:06 AM
touch n go 13

some people said that its a good idea to seal the hinge gaps. should i do this and if so how?
thanks
Justin
Old 06-24-2005, 09:30 AM
kennyandannie

Absolutely seal the hinge gaps. That is a necessity. I use Dubro clear hinge tape and seal them from the bottom, but you can use a strip of covering if you want to. Before you connect the control rod put the tape on the control surface and the stab or wing making sure you follow the bevels and tuck it into the groove so you don't get any binding on full deflection. It helps if you fully deflect the control surface as you are placing the tape and tuck it in with a putty knife or something with a similar flat, thin surface. When looking at the end of the wing or stab, your tape should follow the "V" that is formed by the hinged surface.

Hope this helps,

Ken
Old 06-24-2005, 05:51 PM
dale691

Thanks for all your help ken, it is very much appreciated. My matrix still has not arrived it is stuck in quarintine here in OZ don't know how long that will take. I was hoping that i could mount the motor on a 45 degree inverted so the muffler could stick straight out the bottom is there a cooling air cut out in the fire wall that will fit the muffler?
Old 06-24-2005, 07:46 PM
kennyandannie

Yep, it has that cutout. What I did is mount the engine inverted and use an inverted pitts muffler, nice clean setup.

Ken
Old 06-25-2005, 12:24 AM
dale691

The only problem that i can see with putting a 60 in is that most 60s are 230g heavier than the 50sx. did you have any problems with ballance. i don't really want add any weight and i also want to put the rudder servo next to the selvator servo inside the fuselage
Old 06-25-2005, 06:09 AM
kennyandannie

I had my rudder servo in the stock location and used my 1650mAh 5 cell pack to balance, no problems at all. I was even able to balance a little aft of the recommended CG.

Ken
Old 06-25-2005, 06:57 AM
jbogdano
My Feedback: (13)

Any estimates on the weight of this bird? I just ordered one and am wondering if an OS 46 SF (pumped) will be enough for it. It seems like this airplane will fly really smoothly at speed, how about 3D? Thanks
Old 06-25-2005, 07:28 AM
kennyandannie

I don't remember what mine weighed, but with that motor you should come in under 5.5 lbs..
I've seen one fly with the 46AX and it flies precision aerobatics very well, however, vertical, with maneuvers, is limited to a few hundred feet, not unlimited.
Your engine will allow a lot of 3D stuff, just the hover will be at 3/4 throttle + or -, propped correctly it'll do well for you.
Try a 12x4 or 12x4W if you have them, but you might need to drop to a 11x4 to let it spool up quick enough.

Ken
Old 06-25-2005, 08:05 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

Personaly, I wouldn't fly the Matrix. IMO it is not very good quality, maybe that is why the price hase dropped so much since it first came out. Be very careful as the wings like to flutter. Don't ask me how I know ( it happened to 2 of mine before I called it quits). If you want to do 3D, forget using a 2s. Put in a Saito 91 and you won't have to worry about power. Use a wide pitch prop and have fun at low throttle settings.

R/C Foolish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.