Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hinges

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 02:25 PM
johnwrobo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hinges

Just got my GP Cessna 182. The hinges our fiber I had to cut myself. It says to put them in place, then apply 6 drops of thin CA. I was wondering if I could use 5 min epoxy like I did in putting together my trainers hindes? Also I don't think I got the right nose gear block with my ARF. In the book it shows a block with 4 screws, the one I got only has 2. It would be alright if the nose gear wire extended into the motor mount like the trainer. It looks like if Ihad 2 of whay I got. it would look like what is in the book. Thanks for any info or tips on building this plan..... John
Old 07-09-2005, 03:21 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Hinges

The "fiber" hinges are designed to be used with Ca. Cut slots the width of the hinge in both the H-stab and elevator, or V-stab and rudder, then take a 1/16 drill bit and make a small groove in the middle of the slots. Mount the hingesand control surfaces dry, and using a small tip on your thin Ca bottle, drip a few drops onto the hinge at the groove, while holding the control surface in deflection to give yourself some access to the hinge. The groove allows Ca to "wick" into the slots, bonding the fuzzy material on the hinges to the framework of the control surfaces. As soon as you do one surface, flex it several times while the Ca sets. Make sure you don't apply so much that it drips and runs between the elevator and stab down the hinge line. You don't need a lot of Ca, just several drops per hinge per side. If you use epoxy, its less likely enough will actually get into the slot to bond the hinge, plus any that is squeezed into the gap between elevator / stab or rudder / stab will bond the two and freeze up or severely limit the movement of the control surface.

As I haven't seen the Cessna itself, I can't help with the nose wheel block.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:52 PM
RDMoore

Hi,

I had one of the GP Cessna's. Its a great little plane. I would scrap the supplied hinges and get SIGs CA hinges. I have just heard too many stories about the GP hinges failing, it could be due to poor installation, but I don't like to take chances. As for the nose wheel block, it should have four holes unless they have changed the plane. Check the GP website for any tech notices for the plane as well. You will probably want to replace the nose gear as the first hard landing will bend it. You will also want to make sure this plane has good airspeed as it likes to tip stall and practice your coordinated turns.

Later,

Ryan
Old 07-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Fastsky

Ca hinges will give you trouble if they are not installed correctly. You could go to the type of hinge that is made of 2 plastic pieces with a steel pin between the 2 halves. These use epoxy but make sure you go back and pin them in using round toothpicks and glue.[8D]
Old 07-10-2005, 06:18 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Check in the tutorial section, there is a good article on installing CA hinges.

Andy
Old 07-10-2005, 10:09 AM
IronCross

You had to cut your own "fiber" hinges ?... I just received my second GP Cessna 182.. Looking to set one up on floats.. Anyway, both mine have come with the CA hinges already installed (but not CAed) ... I don't understand your having to cut "fiber" hinges etc for this plane... Regarding the block for the nose gear.. They come come with an upper and lower part connected by thin plastic strips.. There are two holes at the top and two at the bottom for a total of 4 holes.. If you do not use the supplied nose gear you will have a very difficult time using the front wheel pant on it... The wheel pant is molded to fit the suppled gear which is too short to install in the motor mount itself...
The CA hinges supplied with this plane work just fine... My first one is a couple years old and has hundreds of flights on it and no problem with the hinges...
This is one of the nicest looking Cessna ARF's around IMHO... And a great flyer to boot...
Old 07-11-2005, 07:57 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There were a few stories about bad CA hinges from GP a year or two ago, but they seem to have gone away. I have used them and tested them within the past year and they worked great.

As for installing them, read this short "How To":

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...TOKEN=55428108