Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Cosmic Wind Minnow

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Cosmic Wind Minnow

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:21 PM
russm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Cosmic Wind Minnow

as usual with jetts, the muffler is not close to fiting. looks like 1.5'' worth of extentions needed to clear the fuselage and 3.5'' screws to hold it on. russm
Old 06-21-2007, 10:01 AM
kochj

I have also struggled with the monokote.
The trick is to use a heat gun and a pin! Heat it up, let it bubble and pop them. Do this until te wrinkles go away! It does work quite well, although, sometimes, I have just pulled the monokote up and awan and then reapplied it!

Justin
Old 07-02-2007, 10:28 PM
cmircman
My Feedback: (10)

Hey guys i just picked up one of these from the LHS. I was just reading through the directions and saw that it says to use thn CA to glue the horizontal stab?Please tell my my manual is wrong. I cant see how that would hold.

Rick
Old 08-06-2007, 10:44 PM
washguy

Hi Guys! I just bought a cosmic minnow after reading all this good stuff bout it! I have a ys 110 that I got on last week ...so thats whats going to power the minnow. Any thoughts on the prop I should use knowing that im on a grass field...for clearance? maybe something in the 13" range like a 13x12?
Wash
Old 09-06-2007, 11:43 AM
kochj

I am not sure the the YS engines.... In fact not sure with most any prop engine combo..... especially with speed!..
I would think that high pitch small prop is the way to go... but I have always looked on the forums about it,.
I would ask that q' in tht ys club forum.... Lots of guys in there with much experience with those geat engies.....
Stiil have not built mine.....
Also, I would go with 30 minepoxy on the stab, mixed with some filler/ milled fiberglass... guys have put stabs in with CA, but if you plan on goin fast, I would take the litle extra time and put in some good epoxy
Old 09-16-2007, 08:32 PM
wmcalli415

On the Minnow Realy want mine to be as fast as it can, Im thinkin os 120ax or ?????? any good suggestions
Old 11-23-2007, 03:55 PM
aglikman2000

After 1 year of flying my GP cosmic Wind Today something disappointing happened during a tight turn the wing broke off from its hinge and the fuselage flue like a rocket to the ground After examining the Wing I realized that the front of the wing where it is going into the fuselage broke apart, any1 experienced such a disaster

Old 11-23-2007, 04:51 PM
russm

yes, it happened to me 3 weeks ago. i had been flying mine for about 4 months w/ a os 91fx and jett muffler. had a lot of engine problems so i took the 91 out and installed a os 120ax. wow! what a difference. a lot more speed. during the 5th flight w/ the 120, she went in. it looked like a explosion. there was nothing left of the right wing. and i mean nothing. do not know what happened for sure, but we think the wing folded at full speed. i put together a new one with upgraded hardware and epoxed everything i could. need to remember the recommended engines for this plane is a 61 2 , or a 90 4 stroke.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:03 AM
eddyimac

Hi!
Merry Christmas!!
Here is the Video of my trimming flight.
Engine: Super Tigre 90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXhP1kvKqf4&feature=user

Old 02-01-2008, 08:37 PM
kochj

ORIGINAL: russm

yes, it happened to me 3 weeks ago. i had been flying mine for about 4 months w/ a os 91fx and jett muffler. had a lot of engine problems so i took the 91 out and installed a os 120ax. wow! what a difference. a lot more speed. during the 5th flight w/ the 120, she went in. it looked like a explosion. there was nothing left of the right wing. and i mean nothing. do not know what happened for sure, but we think the wing folded at full speed. i put together a new one with upgraded hardware and epoxed everything i could. need to remember the recommended engines for this plane is a 61 2 , or a 90 4 stroke.
Yikes......What was the plane doing when it happened? HIgh G's ??? Turning?
Did you re-inforce anything?
What type of servos where you using?
Did you seal your hinges on all flying surfaces??
Did you use the stock CA hinges?
These will make a big difference in results like yours....

I had thought about that but I will dump lots of thin CA into the wing fillets/spars and glass the middle of wing and probly the back horz. Stab..
Reinforce everything I can get my hands into.....

I will be replacing any of the CA hinges with pinned ones for sure...
I will still be placing the 120AX w/tuned pipe....

I will fly it in the spring 2008 build it this winter,,
I will post it when done...

Cheers..
Justtin
Old 02-01-2008, 08:38 PM
kochj

ORIGINAL: eddyimac

Hi!
Merry Christmas!!
Here is the Video of my trimming flight.
Engine: Super Tigre 90
You are a risky guy!!! Looks good...
what if it went into the Ocean??

Justin
Old 02-21-2008, 05:26 PM
kochj

Well, I checked into the engine options......

ST 90 w/tuned pipe.....
Magnum .91 4-stroke
O.S 1.20 AX 2-stroke....... This engine runs well in the 9,000 RPMS range...... THat isn't enough speed according to my calculations......

I have never played with the speed game much untill I started looking at this plane.....

Really there are 2-major factors when trying to get speed out of a plane: Prop Pitch X and RPM's....

the .90 2strokes from jett can pull in the 15,000 rpm's on the ground with a pitch of 8....

Of course this will unload more in the air, but it gives you a starting point....

4-strokes sound great, but just don't put out the RPM's..... the compete with a HIgh power, high RPM engine.....
The valves on the 4-stroke would float way too much with high rpms and cause catastrohic faliure of the engine......
Now if someone were to take these valves and replace them with a TItanium valves and springs, this would lighten them up and you could turn more RPM's but not enough to pull the speed...

Justin
Old 11-18-2008, 03:48 PM
kochj

No new posts????

I have seen some fast 4-strokes so I recant my prevy post about them....
It all depends how you prop them....
Old 04-15-2009, 04:36 PM
coololdude

Wow no new post in here in six months......Hey just hoping one of you guys that were posting in here would be able to help....its about re-inforcing the fuselage to handle a 91 two stroke.........what to use and where to...just hoping one of you guys are still flying this plane....thanks
Old 04-29-2009, 02:04 AM
coololdude

Well I guess I'm the only one that still has one of these......."LOL".........Oh well......I'm going to have fun with or with out input or comments {:^)>
Old 05-01-2009, 12:13 AM
russm

it is a shame there is so little interest in this plane. i still think it is the best looking arf out there. and it flys like a dream. but it does require a much larger engine than recommended. your setup w/ the tuned pipe looks nice.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:41 AM
coololdude

Thank you...and ya your right about the engine needing to be much bigger then it ask for.....I've got the 91FX on the pipe so I'm hopling this will pull it pretty good.....I just put some flames on her.."L"....hoping if anything it makes it look like its going faster!!!
Old 06-11-2009, 12:59 AM
kochj

Just checking in.....................

I have my plane but it isn't built yet................

I have many others on the table that I have to complete first............

Not sure what I will place in this one.....

Ithought about a .91 4-stroke...fits nice... but will not move it very fast....
thought about a 1.20 OS AX 2-stroke on a pipe.......Might over power the airframe????
THought about placing a YS 1.10 4-stroke in here but I think it is more of a pattern/ 3-d engine.....

Yes Iknow that isvery very debateable.......Sundowner champian won last year with a saito 1.80...so I know the 4-strokes are fast......

In my experience, 2-stroke engines make more power up high in the RPM's.... 4-stokes peak very quickly.....
Sundowners moki's wer limited to a certain prop selection so I am sure this effected the outcome of that compitition.....

I would like to see how that comparison would pan out though......

Very bueit of a plane though....Much better value, when compared to H9 .50 sundowner!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 12:57 AM
cmircman
My Feedback: (10)

I would go with the YS110 myself. I have a saito 100 in m mine and it moves pretty good. The ys 11o will make this thing really move.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:02 PM
kochj

I am soo tempted to place a gas engine in mine...
The Zenoah 20 with a tuned pipe would be quite nice....

Old 07-09-2009, 08:42 PM
RWHorton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys I don't have the minnow but I do have the little toni with a ys-fz110 in the nose. It will turn a 14x11 aps just over 9,500 on the ground. Maybe 10,500 in the air, don't know for sure. But a radar un clocked it at 110 mph flat out, no dive. I have a 13.5x13 to try.

Now I removed all the monokote and reinforced the wing wing 2oz glass overlaped the way the pylon guy do. Then I glassed with .5oz cloth and painted. No ca hinges, and hinges are pined in.

She will move out ad does the bigest loops anyone would need.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75913.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1232834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11494.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1232835  
Old 07-09-2009, 09:21 PM
russm

both thr tony and the minnow are excellent planes. the best combo i have had is the ys 120 on the tony. i would have figured around 120-125 w/ that setup. had a 120ax on one and it clocked 116 w/ the engine not dialed in yet. love both planes.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:55 PM
kochj

Well I don't know why I was thinking a gas engine would work in this model???

2nd thought, there is the Saito 115 converted to gas.....
That weights in at 32oz..... But I might as well hang a OS 1.60fx for that amount of weight on it!!!!....

YEs, the YS 110 or a OS .91 or a OS 1.20 AX would work quite well......

If you have the OS 1.20 AX, you have to hang the pipe out the side.....It will give you 1,000 more RPM's....

That is huge gain compared to stock poser box.... WOuld make a difference in the speed.....

GP's has the Lil'toni on sale of 219.99 $ right now.... great deal....IMO....

I picked up the Minnow for lie 169.00$ (that was without discounts from TOwer)
They had some invitory reduction sale .....A steal .........

Compared to the H9 .50 Sundowner.....@ 250.00 a pop...... I can't understand why someone would buy anything BUT

either the Minnow or the Toni..............

I will most likely re-inforce the wings and ELEvator as well...... I plan to get it up and moving, when I get around to puting it together....

WOuld be fun to have a rally cool color scheme....!!???
Old 07-11-2009, 07:57 PM
kochj

The only thing I didn't understand.......Was that TOwer discontinued the WING JOINER COVER @@>..
for this plane!......
I saw it on closeout a while back and picked it up for a song....who knows if I will be needing one....
Old 08-06-2009, 11:17 PM
blackmonte
My Feedback: (11)

Well after a 3yr absence from the hobby and selling everything I had, the minnow arrived today. Had a OS 91fs on the first one I had. Gonna go with a Saito 115 this time. I loved the first one and hope this one will be just as good. It was my favorite one in the hanger. Now if I can just find a "Gilligan" pilot.
Anybody still flying the minnow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.