Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Just got the Phoenix Super Decathlon

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Just got the Phoenix Super Decathlon

Old 09-24-2014, 06:44 AM
JoeyCoates

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I flew mine for first time last weekend as well. Still breaking gx10 in and takeoff was sloppy to say the least. Kept going from 2 cycle to 4 cycle on takeoff and rpm's were jumping around so nose was swinging to and fro. I will say the rudder is very effective on this airplane for whatever reason, it is not overly large. I think I had two clicks right aileron and a few clicks down and it was trimmed out. It flies very well but I too noticed a lot of coupling in knife edge. It stalled nicely, didn't try to drop a tip or anything and just let the nose fall to gain speed. Nothing out of the ordinary. I need to get some more time on the engine before I can make too many other judgements, but it seems to groove along quite nicely. The gear legs are pretty stout so landings need to be smooth in order not to bounce, different wheels may help with this as the stock wheels do not have much if any give to them. I might see if I can hit the field this evening for a few flights, depends on when I can get out of work.

I flew it with the cowl off to make sure the engine stayed cool but the telemetry only showed a max temp of 206 so there were no problems there. I might go ahead and put the cowl on to see where it is at now.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:56 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep it as rich as you can stand it. Rich engines don't quit! As long as it breaks into a clean 2 stroke when you pull the nose up you'll be fine. Later, you can dial it in so that throttle settings above 1/2 stick or so will have it 2 stroking pretty reliably.