Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New H9 Cub??

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New H9 Cub??

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 01:58 PM
TideFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New H9 Cub??

Saw something on a new, essentially RTF J3 Cub that H9 is bringing out in March. Looked pretty nice in the pictures. Comes with an Evo 46 already installed. It`s along the lines of the Twist PNP ( Plug and Play ). Should be interesting. If this RTF concept is successful, I`d wager that H9 will bring out an RTF warbird ( other than the Mustang PTS ) sooner rather than much later.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:02 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Default RE: New H9 Cub??

shame their Super Cub is now gone as I want one now. I am sure this one will be a nice flier

matt
Old 12-24-2005, 03:07 PM
TideFlyer

Hope so. If it is, might be worth picking one up for a " quick to get ready to go fly " plane. IN GENERAL, H9 seems to turn out some pretty good stuff.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:43 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hehehe, I bought a Super Cub by H9 a couple of months ago....as a Christmas present to ME

Jerry
Old 01-18-2006, 03:35 AM
steed302

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked up the new Hanger 9 PNP Cub this afternoon. I've assembled it already and it seems to be a well built plane. One odd thing is that it comes without a prop [&o]. Other than that it looks great. I hope to have it in the air this weekend and if so will let you all know how it flies. Aloha from Hawaii.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:12 AM
tailskid

Aloha to you too.....I noticed you live in Wahiawa....as a child I lived at Wheeler AFB and used to go to a hobby shop in Wahiawa...ah, the good old days

Welcome to RCU

Jerry
Old 01-18-2006, 04:14 PM
TideFlyer

Steed, do indeed let us know how she flys. If it flys relatively smoothly ( for a cub!! ), I`d hazard a guess that H9 will sell a bunch!
Old 01-18-2006, 10:19 PM
steed302

Tailskid, alas Wheeler is no more, it is now Schofield Army Airfield and is home to Chinooks, Blackhawks, and Kiowas. Unfortunatly there are no more hobby shops in Wahiawa, I have to drive into Honolulu to get my hobby fix. Anyhow I was able to pick a couple of props this afternoon and will hopefully be able to start it up this evening. Anyone have any trouble with Evolution engines? I'm used to OS and YS motors and have little to no experience with ABC type engines.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:04 PM
tailskid

I've used three Evolution engines and loved them all....they started easily and ran well. I used 10% on all of them without any problems. I think you will like them.

NO MORE WHEELER [&o] I have such GREAT memories of that place - back in the mid-1950's. Drooled over my first P-47, Birddog and a couple more. My dad was stationed at Hickem and flew C-54's if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the update[]

Jerry
Old 01-18-2006, 11:47 PM
steed302

Wow is all I can say about this evolution engine, by far the easiest engine I've ever started. I did not even need to touch the needles at all. One note: the Cub does not come with any manual for the engine (I downloaded one off the Hanger 9 website), nor does it come with any starting instructions. This plane is clearly targeted at those of us who have other aircraft in our hangers and as such does away with detailed instructions. In order to make fueling easier I added a tee fitting, perhaps I will add a fuel dot in the future. Another quirk is I as of yet have been unable to remove the fiberglass cowl . More later.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:48 PM
steed302

P.S. I'm using coolpower 15% and a recommended 10x6 prop.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:35 AM
ChiefG

steed302, do you fly at Kailua? Let me know when you are going to maiden her so I can watch how she flies. Looking for my first warbird but I'm interested with this one too...Mahalo....
Old 01-19-2006, 11:05 PM
mobyal

I've taken my cowl off, but had to remove the needle valve to do it. I'm going to cut mine on the bottom from the muffler opening back to the rear, so that I can get it on and off w/o messing w/ the needle. Also, I'll hog out the opening near the muffler pressure fitting so I can get to it for refueling.
Al Carr
Old 01-20-2006, 12:52 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Steed,
Go to an 11 X 6 prop on that evo .46--she'll wake right up, and it's really the perfect prop for the engine. It's what I run on mine, and I love the performance!
Old 01-20-2006, 01:49 AM
Dora Nine

We need pics guys....pics, pics, pics!
Old 01-21-2006, 12:15 AM
steed302

Check my gallery for a few pictures.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:59 AM
steed302

Well I was able to get in a few flights today with the cub (Kailua field). Had a few nose-overs due to high winds and pilot error. Once in the air it flew very well, only had to trim the ailerons 2 clicks left, this is even less trim than I usually need on planes I build myself (what is that saying about my building). This plane has no poor tendancies and will handle a good amount of wind. My favorite part of the flights were the landings, slow and smooth (despite pilot inputs) very scale in apperance. Takeoffs were easy enough, very little up elevator used to keep nose out of dirt. Climbout was strong and scale like, approx. 30 deg. @ 75% throttle. Rudder is very effective at low speed and looses a little at high speed, nothing too bad though. Flys around just fine with about 45% throttle and will speed right up at 100%, does tend to pitch up with more than 75%, nothing a little mix wouldn't take care of though. The plane takes a little distance to slow down so you need to start slowing at the begining of your downwing leg and almost need to be crawling on base, this thing just seems to hang in the air, once on final simply idle the throttle and let it sit down on the mains, a little backpressure will help it not to nose-over (ask me how I know). Overall a great plane and my current favorite in my hangar.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:30 AM
TideFlyer

Sounds great, thanks for the report Steed. What prop are you using? Thanks.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:16 PM
steed302

At the suggestion of 2slow I switched out to an 11X6, which is actually what the motor manufacturer
Old 01-28-2006, 11:55 PM
mobyal

HANGER 9 STRIKES (ME) AGAIN!!!
Well, picked up my H9 "P'p" J-3 from my LHS on 1/17. Chexked it over carefully to see if all servos, tank, engine etc were there. Everything looked great! Was busy w/ other stuff, so didn't get to it until this Thursday (1/26).
The good news is that it'll go together in an hour or so. The bad news is that it'd go together in an hour or so IF all the parts/fittings had been included in the kit. They weren't.
First step out of the box, no #4 washers for the stab bolts. No 1/4-20 wing bolts. No landing gear straps and screws. If your strut mounts and brackets are factory-installed -- mine were -- then you need 20 4-40x1/2 socket head screws; I had 8 in my kit. Also need 16 4-40 lock nuts; I had 6 in my kit. According to the manual, the 4 support struts are supposed to be two different lengths -- one pair long, one pair short. Mine are the same length, 4" tip to tip. Dunno know if they'll work, 'cause I don't have enough screws and bolts to put a set together and mount a wing.
When I checked the kit over, I saw the hardware pack, but didn't open it up and check the contents. Dumb me. After I inventoried everything I called H9 Customer Service/Product Support. They listened to my tale of woe, took my info, and said someone would get back to me. No one did. I called again Friday morning, and the (other) person I spoke with said they had the record of my call and someone would get back to me. No one did. So Friday afternoon I called my LHS -- which is a 60-mile drive, in case you're wondering why I didn't just go get the stuff -- and ordered the stuff from them. Should have it by Tuesday.
In the meantime, today was a spectacular flying day. Do you know how rare that is this time of year here? Of course you do. And my new J-3 is sitting on the bench in pieces because the stuff necessary for its assembly wasn't in the kit. This sort of thing has happened to me before w/ Hanger 9 -- took 3 Alpha RTF Trainers before I got one that was in fact RTF. Think I'll stick w/ Great Planes from now on. Sorry for the length of this but thought I'd vent a little....
Al Carr
Old 01-29-2006, 08:51 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: DiabloKid

shame their Super Cub is now gone as I want one now. I am sure this one will be a nice flier

matt

yea, i wish I had bought one back when Chief Aircraft was running that sale on them
Old 01-29-2006, 10:03 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: steed302

Check my gallery for a few pictures.
Steed--nice pics, good looking plane. Did the wing struts come like you have them ,with those nice brackets at the wing end, and the jury struts as well? If so, looks like I'm gonna try and order those to retrofit to my H-9 80 inch Cub (predecessor to your model). They look as good as the Dave Patrick stuff. I'm more impressed with H-9 every time I see one of their new planes.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:37 PM
steed302

The plane comes as you see it with the exception of the charging port and the fuel filler. Sorry to hear about your troubles Mobyal, in my kit there was another hardware bag in with the struts and one wing had the strut mounts on backwards. All this may be due to it being a very new offering from H9 (not due for official release until March), I'm sure H9 will make it right, though maybe not as quickly as one would like. Anyhow, good luck with it, once you get it flying you will forget all your problems with its assembly.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:57 PM
mobyal

Thanks Steed --
In my kit, the strut brackets and support strut attachments were assembled correctly on the wings. The only hardware included was in the bag w/ the jury or support struts and as I said, the count was way short of the fittings -- screws, bolts etc -- necessary to put the thing together. As compensation, though, I got an extra set of the support strut attachments! I'm sure that when I get all the pieces and get the plane together I'll really enjoy it.
In the meantime, be sure those big round rubber things point down when you get close to the ground!
Al Carr
Old 01-30-2006, 04:29 AM
rccrippen

Never had one ,and only seen the larger scale ones fly. Whats the flight
performance like? And is the 46NT enough motor?

RICK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.