Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CMPro Lancair

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CMPro Lancair

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:03 AM
linkadrip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMPro Lancair

Well its pretty much the same here wheathers been bad probably wait till spring before flying anything. I have to go hunt down a place to fly anyway so that will give me something to do this winter.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:12 AM
ALO 111

Dam ill go crazy if i had to wait so long to fly. I havnt flown for three weeks and i am getting withdrawel symtoms
Old 12-10-2007, 08:32 AM
linkadrip

Yes i have gone through them. helps if you have a FLight Sim Like Realflight G3.5 Or some other one, helps take the edge off not being able to fly. Been about 2 weeks since i lost my flying spot and that was a real Stress.

I'm as eager as you i want to hear how your plane flys with that engine. But from what i have heard so far. that engine is a real strong engine. Take some pics of your setup i would like to see how that engine is fitting in the cowling on your Lancair.

MY OS LA .46 Is crambed in there and the part of the side of the head hits just barely on the top of the cowl the engine is mounted Sideways. So its the top side of the head that touches a little but it does look tight. I'm wondering how much bigger the 55AX is?

Old 12-12-2007, 02:41 AM
ALO 111

Ill take the pics for you asap,but it fits like a dream only made a small change to the cowl at the needle. The head is totally closed only a cut out for the glow stick.
Now the good news,i was off work yesterday and slipped out at 5am before the wind could start blowing. Fired up the os 55 took a deep breath and started the take off run. I could see straight away that it picked up speed faster even though i still have spats on that catch the grass a bit. I still kept it on the deck till i was more than happy with the airspeed. This time it lifted off nicely with no tip stalling, climbed with authority and does not lose altitude in steep turns. The differnince is huge,its pretty fast and can pull nice big loop without wanting to fall out the sky at the top.
Its now really a fun plane that still has nice scale tendancies that make it great to fly,landings seem easier than before maybe because it has a bit more propwash. Still a fast landing but pretty smooth loses altitude fast when the speed is down.
One strange thing,have you noticed how strange it behaves with rudder input,real wierd. I only use a bit of rudder on take of and landing.
The 55 is the way to go>>>
Old 12-12-2007, 08:43 AM
linkadrip

Oh beleiv eme i plan to go that way no dought. Especially after hearing how much better it flys with that engine. Just have to save the cash for one, so its gonna be awhile before it happens.

When you use rudder Did it want to dive or did it start a banked turn? When i used rudder It slowed down and started to dive. But i figure it did this cause i have a Weak enigne on it. I'm sure with a the engine you have it reacts different.

I'm hoping that i dont have to make to many changes to the cowl i made one small hole for the needle valve on the top of the cowl witch i'm not to concerned about and on hole in the side for the Glow Igniter. Both of witch i can easily repair and make new holes for a different engine i'm hoping that the 55AX will have the same hole locations as the OS LA and all i will have to do is mount it, wishfull thinking.

that the Main reason i wanted to see some pictures of your setup.

Plus a thread with out pics gets kinda boaring after awhile always nice to spice it up a little

But i'm glad to here you got it off the ground and had some fun thats what it's about. I'll have a 55 AX eventually.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:58 AM
ALO 111

Ok here goes I took some pics for you this morning, lets see if i can post them
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51709.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	824615   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44485.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	824616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61804.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	824617  
Old 12-13-2007, 02:03 AM
ALO 111

Sorry should of cleaned her first but was in a hurry. Cant really say what it does with the rudder it just becomes a bit unstable.
I will try to have a closer look next time,I think the huge nose spat might be having an effect on things.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:40 AM
linkadrip

Thanks for the pics i wont have to much modifixaftion at all just open up the front of the cowl there a little mine is more enclosed but that looks good impressive like the spinner too.

Nose Spat????What is a Nose Spat lol only thing that may have an effect on it is the wheel cowling you have on the front wheel. i dont have any of the cowling on mine or wood slats on the rear gear. Due to taking off on dirt roads most the time. Mine are open landing gear just wires and wheels lol.

Mine Will get unstable using the rudder it wants to turn and dive so i tried it with a little up elevator and it seem to correct the problem but it would loose speed pretty quickly and you could here the little engine laboring.

But the pictures look good thanks that helps a bunch. I actually think it doesnt look bad not clean. but most my plane are dirty too at the moment i havent taken the time to wipe them off they get pretty dusty in the garage.

Great looking setup will be looking foward to getting that engine and installing it.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:58 PM
DARRENSHIELS

Any one any thoughts on putting a magnum 65 2 stroke in the cmpro lancair?, Have brought one today and have a 65 sitting around doing nothing?
Old 01-04-2008, 11:01 PM
linkadrip

Well if you think you can get it in there and balance the plane then it would have massive power. I dont see why it cant be done considering there is a plane in the recommend equipment category for this plane that someone put a 4 stroke in it.

But i would imagine with a 65 in it your going to have to add weight to the tail to get it to balance properly.

I had a heck of a time just getting my O.S. LA .46 to fit in the cowl. i was going to go with the os 55 AX but to broke to that for awhile. If the engine is just laying around take your time building and i would say try it. you have the engine and now the plane. i'm sure if you can get it to work the plane will be a screamer just slow down before doing any abrubt manuver or the plane may break apart somewere.

One nice thing about this hobby is you can do anything you put your mind to. and there are alot of people that will tell you not to do it.

Like put an OS .61 FX in a Twist 40 with a tuned pipe. Did i listen nope, i did it anyway and now have a one of a kind plane that screams.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:35 AM
ALO 111

Whats the weight of that 65 compared to the 55 ax ?
The 55 ax pulls the lancair very well and the plane is very stable at speed . It will handle more speed but i doubt if it will handle more weight. If you have to add tail weight i would be very carefull !! This plane does not have much glide abilty.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:21 AM
linkadrip

ALO I Had forgotten about the glide ratio yes that is a very good thing to take into consideration the plane doesnt not glide very well.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:00 AM
ALO 111

Its going to glide like a manhole cover if you add tail weight. lol
Think ill take mine for a spin this weekend,the os 55 is getting lose now so will start to try some props for serious speed.
How you doing, linkadrip?
Old 01-05-2008, 07:14 AM
linkadrip

Well it's winter here and i have no place to fly my planes anymore. So it been pretty Boaring.

Hope all has been well in your neck of the woods ALO.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:00 AM
ALO 111

Thats real bad . I am lucky and fly at home. Its just the opposite about 34 deg. celsius.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:32 PM
DARRENSHIELS

I have decided to go with a sc46 up the front end. How does your 46la go with the model?
Old 01-13-2008, 12:04 AM
linkadrip

Darren the OS 46 LA goes fine with the model fits in the plane real well and balances out nicely But lacks in power. And the OS 46 LA doesnt tune well. i only flew the plane 5 times with this engine. Then decided i didnt want to take the risk of loosing the plane with it dieing all the time had 2 deadsticks and almost lost the plane. I dont know anything about a sc 46 if it tunes good and runs strong then i guess it would be an ok engine for the plane.

I would recomend a larger engine. it took my plane forever to get off the ground with the 46 LA. But the engine itself fit great. Just needs a better carb and it might be ok. wanted to try and fit a different os carb on it with a low speed idel screw instead of the bleed screw it has it migh perfome ok then.

But it's parked for the winter and i wont be doing much with it till i save up some funds to experiment with a different setup. Gonna go with a 55 OS myself i think.

Wish you luck with yours hope your engine runs strong and tunes nicely
Old 03-10-2008, 05:34 PM
spanishlady

First of all I have to say that I have been following this forum part for over a year now.
Gr8 to see all those nice lancairs and even fun to see some of the mod`s people made (bigger wing).

I finaly managed to get mine out of the box and started building it about 1,5 week ago after it has been laying around since march 2007.

My setup:
Thunder Tiger pro .46ABC
Pitss muffler
MPX RX and MPX Cockpit TX (V2.3)

My biggest problem was that I didn`t want to cut in the cowl because it`s to nice to see.
Going electric isn`t an option for me, love the sound and smell of fuel.

Now I am waiting for a bit sunshine and no wind.

Here`s fsome pics.

Name:	Ec88862.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	900219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52750.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	900220  
Old 03-10-2008, 05:36 PM
spanishlady

here is another high-res picture of the whole plane

Name:	Yw67573.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	900223  
Old 03-11-2008, 12:28 AM
ALO 111

I hope the 46 is enough, I ran mine with a 55 ax and found it just enough.
The problem with this plane as far as I am concerned is the airfoil it does not give enough lift at low speed. The wing would be good on a jet,it really does fly like a jet .
The plane wants speed but cannot handle any more weight I would hate to have a dead stick with this one. Its a shame as its really a looker. In fear of losing her I have retired her to hanging in my bedroom.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:15 AM
linkadrip

That Sucks ALO that you have retired her. But i had 2 Dead sticks and Thought i was going to loose her too but i was lucky and had her up in the air high enough that i could keep the Speed up and landed without incedent, was very scary. I havent flow her since due to the underpowered unreliable OS.LA .46. Been flying my other planes instead. But i will eventually get a bigger engine and trythe Lancair out again.

This airplane has a high wingloading that is it's major drawback from what i can tell. As long as it has speed it flys great like a jet loose the speed and power its like trying to float a brick back in for a landing. Just don't have a deadstick lower then 50 feet up, or its sure to be a gonner and hope there is a little wind to help.

I agree the plane needs a powerfull reliable engine. But with the wing desighn the plane cant take to much weight it seems. Good luck Spainishlady Will like to hear how it flys with the engine setup you have hope you have a long runway. get some speed built up before pulling back on that elevator dont want a tip stall. Took me about 50 feet of road before it would lift off. Now i have a 150 foot runway. but i wont be flying it with the engine it has in it.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:12 AM
ALO 111

You have summed up the lancair exactly as I have found her linkadrip.
I just dont have the heart to risk crashing her,she was a present from my wife as well.
I have stripped out all radio equipment and the motor,going to buy a sundowner 50.

Name:	Jh15387.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	900603  
Old 03-11-2008, 05:02 AM
linkadrip

Sounds good. Good luck with the sundowner 50. I got the Lancair for a Christmas Present to myself. I just liked the way it looked. Reminds me of a shark. if i were talented enough with my airbrush i would paint a Mouth on it like a P-40 warhawk. But i will fly it again and i will probably crash it too. Seems to happen from time to time no matter what you do to prevent it. At least thats what i'm starting to realize. Getting pretty good at fixing them though.

I'm sure the Sundowner will be a great Plane to fly. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-11-2008, 03:41 PM
spanishlady

Well Alo111 you have to know that with this engine we have flow a Kyosho Su-31.
specs: ARF Semiscale, length 1256mm, span 1380mm, weight approx. 2600g.
Worked well on that plane.

At first I had planned to put in a Webra .61 (non blackhead) turning 12x7 APC.
Since that engine is reliable but adds more weight to the plane I changed my plan, also had to cut more than I wanted from the cowl.
Anyway if at the first flight it seems that the thundertiger .46 is underpower for this plane (thundertiger .46pro is stronger than os.46LA) I will change it instantly for a os.55AX.

Since I live in Holland (Europe and no not AMSTERDAM ). we are much more depending on the weather, thats looking bad at the moment.
About Runway:
What about a newly to build highway that`s about 3miles!!

I will keep you guys informed when she take`s off.

pic: Kyosho Su31

Name:	Gd93972.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	900966  
Old 04-10-2008, 09:42 AM
snooozy-bear

I have been following this thread for some time now, and finally gave my lancair its maiden last weekend. First up I would like to thank everybody that has contributed to the thread- I gained much help in the build & setup of the plane. As I have only been flying for about 14 months (8 months solo) I was reluctant to fly it on the maiden so I gave it to one of our clubs experienced pilots. It gained speed well on our grass strip & was airborne easily. It took a bit of elevator trim & only a couple of clicks of aileron to fly hands off. The pilot (Pat) immediately fell in love with it. Fast concise turns. Beautiful rolls & looks to die for. I gave my 15 yo son (he has been flying only as long as me) the controls & straight away he commented on the smoothness of the control. Then it was my turn WOW how smooth & precise. As Pat says ITS HORNE. I gave it back to Pat to land without incident, I will however find a stronger nose wheel strut. I will post photos & setup shortly

Name:	Ol31661.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	926655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92740.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	926656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84285.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	926657  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.