Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Help Desk

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Help Desk

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 09:57 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help Desk

ORIGINAL: darock

Stickbuilder,

If this works outs fairly well, I'll see about placing it as a sticky at the top of this forum
Hey, bubbagates, can I make a suggestion? If you make one thread a sticky that's going to collect a mishmash of topics hidden within it, you're going to cut the legs out from under the orderly way a forum works. Forums are way easier to surf when each topic or question or subject has it's own thread and title. Right now, this forum has a ton of individual threads asking for help about specific topics. What'd it be like if none of them had titles and were all just one post after another in one thread?
It was my understanding that this particular thread was going to be a "compilation" if you will of all the things that are usually asked in the ARf forum and all the little tips everyone provides. If I misread the intent of the thread then I am sorry for that.

As I did mention before, there are four of us already working on a very comprehensive FAQ for beginners over in the beginners forum. You can see that here. It includes a list of questions that has been updated allot

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4038219

This will eventually get into the beginners forum at the top.

Now if you are guys are will to do something like this for dealing with the most common problems and resolutions with ARF's now that too would be a great thing.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:25 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will do anything that I can to help. Just let me know what you wish for me to do.
Bill
Old 03-31-2006, 04:11 PM
igotfish2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yo stickbuilder...i am totally bummed that your other thread was shut down. i was getting ready to address some of your opponents. been reading it for a few days to see what more developed, then just checked it..and its closed. i support you 110% in what you had to offer about poor quality and lack of concern by the manufacturers to take corrective steps. that thread also proved to me that still today...the p.t. barnum theory lives stronger than ever. i also commend you for having the courage and backbone to tell it like it really is...and not like product review authors in some of the model magazines. keep up the teriffic work!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 05:41 PM
bubbagates

OK folks, this is not a place to debate this. It's not uncommon for threads to go off topic, but this particular thread was supposed to be a place for peoplke to get help on ARF's please keep it on that topic as this has good potential
Old 03-31-2006, 06:27 PM
igotfish2

well i tried to email him, but couldnt...and was in a rush so didnt take the time to pursue finding out how to. i found him here so thought i would let him know on this thread, but your point is taken...
Old 03-31-2006, 07:16 PM
Stickbuilder

The name of this thread says it all. I will not answer anything that I think will lead to a urinating contest. I wanted to help where needed, and This (so far) is the place for it. Even here, there are those who want it moved, or re-structured, but I don't know how to do this. I'm an old (well, sorta) man, and I just barely get by on this PC. Maybe someone else knows how to work this contraption better than I do, but until that comes along, I'll keep on, keepin on.
Bill
Old 03-31-2006, 10:26 PM
roltech

ORIGINAL: darock

With the airplane rigged like it is in the picture, take some scrap anything and cut it to fit where you want one of the interplanes to go. Take a pen or pencil and stick it through the attachment holes top and bottom, as if you were trying to mark where to drill attachment holes in that interplane strut. Now take that scrap over to the other side and mark those holes. The bottom marks should overwrite each other and the top marks should be one above the other. Halfway between those top two marks is where you'd drill the top holes if you ignored the fact that your cabane struts aren't "square".

You need to sand down one of your cabane saddles (the "tall" one) so that the two wings are parallel. You need to do that first. The plan I just suggested to you for measuring to find the average distance for the interplane struts will help you when you're sanding down the tall cabane saddle.

Once you get the cabane struts equal, use some more scrap and verify the distances for the interplane struts. They should be equal now.
darock:

Thanks this should works! I don't know why I did not think of this before, I use to center a light fixture using a stick in much the same as you explained, when I was in the electrical trade. I will let you know when it's done.

Thanks
roltech
Old 03-31-2006, 10:41 PM
roltech

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Are the measurments the same for both sides? It may be due to the perspective of the photo, but I wonder... Check the dimensions for both sides. They should be equal, and the struts are to maintain dimension, not alter the dimension and cause the wing panel to move. Hope this helps.
No they are not the same, that's what make it difficult to measure, This bi plane is 25 + years old, but in exellent shape. and wings are made of foam. but I think with all the info I got so far I should be able to solve this now.
I can see this thread, solving many problems, if one thinking head is good, many is got to be better.
Thanks To all of you.

roltech
Old 04-01-2006, 03:17 AM
Stickbuilder

Old 04-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Stickbuilder

Old 04-02-2006, 06:10 AM
Stickbuilder

Just scootin this back up so's the newbies can find it
Old 04-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Stickbuilder

Makin it easy to find.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:01 PM
roltech

Makin it easy to find.
I'm working on a new question regarding a OS 61 max SF motor w/ pump, I'm having a hard time keeping it going it keeps stopping can't move the throttle any direction too fast as it seem as it does'nt have enough gas or maybe too much, the motor is a 1986 OS, has not run for a long time, although it turns real good and has good compression, I remove the line from the carb feed to see if the pump was working, and it seem to be working, one time while trying to start it the gas was coming out the pits muffler and pooling on the ground, I only turned the high speed needle so far as I was told when it was last run it was
running real good, there are more adjustments valve, but I did not want to mess with them yet , it might need a good line and carb cleaning??? if you have any experience with this motor, I would appreciate all the info I can get. I will try again so I can note more information to note.

Thanks
roltech
Old 04-04-2006, 04:44 AM
Stickbuilder

Sounds like the pump needs cleaning. I would clean the carb as well. take notes as to the original low and high speed needle settings. (count the turns to close) and set the needles to these positions when re-installing. You won't believe the trash that can be found there. Sounds like this may fix your problem. The .61 SF is kinda fool proof. (as long as you don't run it too lean and cook it)
Old 04-04-2006, 09:28 PM
roltech

Sounds like the pump needs cleaning. I would clean the carb as well. take notes as to the original low and high speed needle settings. (count the turns to close) and set the needles to these positions when re-installing. You won't believe the trash that can be found there. Sounds like this may fix your problem. The .61 SF is kinda fool proof. (as long as you don't run it too lean and cook it)
I don't know what it involves in cleaning the pump, I never seen one before and from what I think, from hearing others saying that is has a diaphragm type thing I wounder if it' made out of rubber?? there are two screws on the pump. for fuel adjustment as far as the high speed needle! I turned it to closed, and turn anticlockwise to rich (3 turns). but did not touch any other settings, Your right I've been told that when you have the setting right you should never have to touch them unless you change fuel, location, or extrem weather conditions. I did not have a chance to go at it since the first time, I will try again this weekend.

Thanks

roltech

Old 04-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Stickbuilder

Often the diaphragm can become dry and lose it's pliability. If you soak it in fuel, this may correct the problem for you. If I remember correctly, this diaphragm receives its signal from the crankcase and it is a pressure pulse tyoe pump. They are normally bullet proof.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:57 AM
Stickbuilder

makin it easy to find.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:37 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Stickbuilder, just wanted to lend a word of support for what you are doing. I am not yet retired, and, although I very much enjoy helping and enchouraging both new, and not so new, in the hobby, my time is limited right now. All I can do is pop in and out once in a while. I envy your situation. Keep up the good work and thank heaven for the rebirth.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:00 AM
Stickbuilder

Retiring is one thing... Getting the wife to let you stay that way is another...[&o] I am working...again... Naw, I can't stand days that are not structured. I'll probably do something useful until I go for the dirt nap.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Stickbuilder

back to the top.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:08 PM
roltech

Thanks for the info. I finally got it started! but still have some problem with throttle adjustment, works great from half to WOT. but will stop if I bring the throttle lower then half on TX. One thing I might add. there is a line with a plug, when the plug is inserted and engine running, the motor runs for about one to three min. than dies, I also noted that the carb fuel feed line before it dies bubbles are present. Funny thing though if I take out this plug from the line the motor runs till it's out of gas and no bubbles, but will not run lower than half speed, I think that the high speed needle valve is OK by the muffler residue seem to be OK med to light oil spray out of the muffler. I did the nose up WOT runs great, now looking to solve the lower speed to idle, I was thinking, is the reason that leaving the plug on that line that goes to the fuel thank. that a vacuum is created and the pump can no longer suck the fuel out? starving the carb?
Well if you have any additional information It will greatly appreciated.

Thank You
roltech
Old 04-17-2006, 09:44 PM
roltech

ORIGINAL: roltech

Thanks for the info. I finally got it started! but still have some problem with throttle adjustment, works great from half to WOT. but will stop if I bring the throttle lower then half on TX. One thing I might add. there is a line with a plug, when the plug is inserted and engine running, the motor runs for about one to three min. than dies, I also noted that the carb fuel feed line before it dies bubbles are present. Funny thing though if I take out this plug from the line the motor runs till it's out of gas and no bubbles, but will not run lower than half speed, I think that the high speed needle valve is OK by the muffler residue seem to be OK med to light oil spray out of the muffler. I did the nose up WOT runs great, now looking to solve the lower speed to idle, I was thinking, is the reason that leaving the plug on that line that goes to the fuel thank. that a vacuum is created and the pump can no longer suck the fuel out? starving the carb?
Well if you have any additional information It will greatly appreciated.

Thank You
roltech
Here is some pictures of the culprit OS .61 2S SF Max You can see the line with the plug going to the tank. and the carb type.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76311.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	447078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28982.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	447079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98783.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	447080  
Old 04-18-2006, 11:44 PM
WILDCATONE

we need someone in here with knowledge and experience

thanks
Old 04-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Stickbuilder

That line with the fill plug in place appears to be the filler line to the tank. I think that you need a vent to the tank to keep vacuum from overcoming the pressure-pulse pump's ability to draw fuel. On non pumped engines, that is accomplished by the line from the muffler. Did you completely tear your carb down? If not, you may have a piece of trash hiding under one of the needles. I had a supertiger 90 several years ago that would starve itself for no explainable reason. Finally after about the 10th tear-down I found a very small grass seed hiding in the High speed needle spray bar.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:58 PM
bubbagates

And to add what Stick just said, you also have a fueling valve in there so a third line is not really needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.