Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Twist 3D 60 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Twist 3D 60 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:43 PM
GreenAcre
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Twist 3D 60 ARF

Yea, really. I loved my twist 60 I am building another one!
Old 05-14-2008, 12:34 AM
buckskin

Well I got my OS 91 and a Hitec Flight pack with HS-605BB Servos and a 5 cell batt. It should rock! Now I just have to get home and put it together.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:02 AM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am currently throwing my twist 60 together. I was going to slap my magnum 91 (4c) into it but some peeps here claim that for this plane the magmun 91 is rather underpowered. I really don't want to spend 300 bucks on a new saito 100. (just got an 82 for my SSE) So I figured on grabbing a cheap super tigre 75 or 90. Does any one know if the 75 will do the job? Or should I be looking at the 90. I want verticle power.

I can get an os 91fx for $200. I might even go this route. What kind of performance difference is there between the st g90 and the os 91 fx?

Also I'm running hitec 475 all around at 6v. Will this be enough servo for this plane and a 75-90 size engine?
Old 05-17-2008, 10:43 PM
GreenAcre
My Feedback: (13)

I have a Super Tiger .90 for mine and its great! Also, the servos you have will be fine. I have the 475's for mine and they are only at 4v
Old 05-21-2008, 03:03 PM
scosby

I maidened my .60 yesterday,With a Saito 100 w/ APC 16x4. It doesnt have the pull out that my .40 Twist with the Saito .82 does, but I did not expect it to, and thats OK. It was a wonderfull flight!!! However I wonder how well the .91 Saito would work on the .60 Twist? I dont need it to go fast, just want to have enough power. Will it (the .91) give a decent pull out of a hover,Vertical performance etc.? Since I have one on the shelf I would like some feedback . I want to use the 100 on a New .60 Ultrastick for a little more speed. Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 08:59 AM
dnagmour

Anybody have trouble with their wing rattling like a drum? At certain rpm's I cant event hear the engine. At say 1/3 throttle it sounds like something is loose. Several of the guys at the field have looked at it but structurally it looks fine. It's driving me nuts. Hangar-9 is going to send me a new wing but I'd hate the thought of getting another that does the same thing.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:58 PM
twn

Maidened my twist 60 today. All went well. a few clicks of right aileron and was flying great. Currently using a magnum 91. Still running the burn in prop 14-6. gona switch to a apc 15-4w. also have a apc 14-4w on hand too. she flew great. WOW does it ever float. I'm so use to needing a good distance to land my midstar. I seriously over shot the runway! 3rd pass did the trick. landed like a *****cat. ballooned a bit but nothing scary. cg at 5.5" I'll use the 91 for now but the verticle sucks.

Seriously does the saito 100 provide unlimited verticle?
Old 05-23-2008, 08:06 AM
scosby

Yes!......It goes straight up as far as you want. The 14x4W is not enough prop for a Magnum .91, on the .60 Twist, a 15x4W is recommended for the Saito and OS .91's. I am turning 14x4 W on my Saito .82 on the .40 Twist. A Saito 125 would be better if youre going to buy a different Engine. And Dnagmour, all three of my twists 2-.40's and .60 make wing noise. I don't know if they all make noise, but mine do.

Steve
Old 05-23-2008, 12:50 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can put a Saito 125 in a Twist 60????? Is that for the better or is that like putting a big block Chevy 450 in a go-cart? Who else has a Saito 125 in theirs....and....how do you like it?
Old 06-11-2008, 12:44 PM
twn

Sorry I meant to say that I have a 15-4w apc for my magnum 91.

The 14-4w apc is on my saito 82 & sse.

The 15-4w on the 91 is actually not bad. it pulls it as high as I need to go without stalling. I just wish it would get there faster. wasting too much fuel climbing and not enoug time playing...
Old 07-06-2008, 03:19 PM
waynemia
My Feedback: (2)

[] I need some help with my T-t 60. I have it set up with a .91FX. I have the low and high rates set per the manual. I also balanced it at 6" back. I also have it laterally balanced. I have checkedThe wing tip to H. Stab distances but I plan to recheck this again next.

My plane does not behave well at all. At low speed for landing, it wants to come in at a nose high attitude. If I use down elevator to correct for this, it is VERY touchy and can actually drop the nose and dive down. This high attitude and diving happens well above stall speed. I took the main gear out with one of these incidents. When trying to flat spin, it will only spin in a very nose down attitude. This sounds like it is light in the tail; BUT, I have to use up elevator in inverted flight. Without the up elevator it will fly up like an outside loop. A full elevator loop on low rates is very tight but the plane seems to stall out before it can get all the way around. I really cannot find a good trim setting that you can call "hands-off, straight and level" primarily due to the dendency to either climb or descend with any small change in airspeed.

The plane HATES wind. I am having severe Weather Vane effect and landing on windy days is definitely a nerve bender.

I have managed to get the plane flyable on low rates with 50% expo. This tames it down enough to make it controllable. It is far from the flying wonder many of you are experiencing. The .91FX seems to be plenty of power with a 14x6 prop.

I have been struggling with this plane since day one. Something seems to be wrong since most aerobatic maneuvers are a chore instead of a pleasure. In fact, just normal flight can be a challenge. If you divert your attention for a second, you may be in a power dive when you look up.

Since I have rechecked the balances and throws, I am not sure what else to try. Any T-t expert advice would be very welcome. I have at least 20 flight on this plane now. I really need to find something to improve the way the plane responds.

Has anyone needed to shim the engine? I have the engine mount flat on the firewall right now. I have not looked at any angles on it.
Has any one had any issues with the wing incidence? A suggestion frorm a local club member.
What have you been for the balance? The manual is 5 7/8" to 6 1/2". I started with 6" as that is where the plane balanced with the battery rear of the servos.

Thank you in advance,
Wayne
Old 07-10-2008, 03:18 PM
conradj87
My Feedback: (1)

I had the same exact problem. Mine was also balanced at 6" with a saito 100. We moved the battery pack forward and it helped quite a bit, but it was still touchy like you said. I think the problem with mine is the angle of the engine and the CG is a little too far back. How do you check the thrust angle on the engine? I've never had a plane where it mattered all that much.
Thanks for any help
Old 07-10-2008, 05:20 PM
aa2dd

been there... done that .... put your CG at 5.25". The factory stated CG is nuts.

Bruce
Old 07-10-2008, 06:07 PM
ultra_stick
My Feedback: (3)

I have a LA 65 with a 13x6 prop on mine. I do have a "tail heavy" problem, only when I come in for landing. I will try moving CG to 5.25. As for the "touchy'ness" of the control sefaces... I thought it was normal. I have tried A lot of planes and T 60 is my favorite just becouse it responds well. If anyone is wondering, the 65 LA is a good engine for it. You can go vertical with it, but of course it is slow when comming out from hanging on the prop. I wanted to put the 65 on it for the first flight becouse it has never givin me a dead stick. Now I wont be taking it off any time soon.

Brandon
Old 07-10-2008, 07:10 PM
waynemia

I have the CG now at 5.5" and it is nose heavy. This flys better. I also had a loose H. Stab. This could have really been a lot of my problems. I also need to correct the thrust angle. Mine is strait vertically but left horizontally. I need to correct that should be right. I plan to move the CG back a little more. Maybe 5.75" would be the best to let the plane do more 3D stuff but not be crazy on landing approach.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:26 PM
reid808

I too had problems with CG and difficulty with flying and landing the Hangar 9 Twist 60. The plane was a handful in the air for the first three flights. I tried changing the CG as far forward as 5.25" and still had problems. I took the advice of Jaybird11 who posted earlier in this forum about the thrust line. Washers were placed behind my engine mount per his instructions, CG was placed at 5.5", and I hoped for the best. The Twist went from an erratic flyer that I was sorry I bought, to a great flying plane that is a blast to fly. It seems that the thrust line might be the key, so hopefully this will help others that are having problems with this plane.
Thanks JAYBIRD!!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:14 PM
conradj87

Just thought I'd let you guys know I tried the washer method and it did wonders for me as well. CG is at 5 3/4 and this plane is awesome. Before it was completely uncontrollable, barely able to land without crashing it, now its just perfect. Lands slower than anything else at my field. If you think you have CG problems try this first, it makes such a huge difference.
Thanks jaybird
Old 08-07-2008, 08:56 PM
steve51
My Feedback: (10)

Anyone have any thoughts on using a Magnum 70 four stroke on this airplane. Not looking for a wild machine but more of a sport flyer. Another possibility is a Supertigre 61 2 stroke.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:37 PM
waynemia

I emailed H-9 about the rercommended thrust angle and wing incidences. Probably won't get an answer. [>:]
Old 09-16-2008, 04:36 PM
conradj87

what % nitro are you saito 100 guys running?
Old 09-16-2008, 04:45 PM
dnagmour

I was running 30% and it definitely ran good on it. I moved back to 15% though. Half the cost and no real noticeable performance loss. I'm sure some of the other guys will have other things to say. With the Saito 100 you're way overpowered as it is - perfect.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Mikey29a

Hi all, new Twist 60 owner here.
I'm running a Saito 100 on 15% with a 14x4 wide for the first few flights. (And, dont laugh, a 3 blade MA 13x8, because that is what was on the motor on the plane it came off of). I will be trying a 15x4W and 16x4W next time out.

Like most here with CG around 6", I have the balooning on landing problems. I will be moving the CG to 5.5, if not 5.25.
That will probably make 3D harder but right now I'm in the early stage of learning 3D anyway. I can get a bit of a hover out of it, but it wants to lunge toward the canopy as soon as I throttle up. I did add down thrust from the start but have not measured how much.

Now for my problem,
When cleaning up after my first 5 flights, I noticed that the fuselage area between the tail and the rear of the wing saddle felt a little loose and can twist. The covering on the top stringers has became loose, which is why I noticed it. Nothing feels broken, but I will be looking inside in the morning to be sure.

Has anyone else noticed that the fuselage is easy to twist, no pun intended?

Mike
Old 09-27-2008, 03:06 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Yes, I noticed my fuselage was weak and could easily "twist" in that area.

I had another problem with my Twist 60 though. I often fly in a good bit of wind, and twice the wind got under the wing after landing and ballooned the airplane about 6 feet in the air. Both times when it came down it broke the fuselage in that weak area immediately behind the cockpit. I am not talking about at landing speeds that the balloon happened; I am talking about taxi speeds. One of the times, I had landed, slowed to taxi speed, and looked over at my flying buddy to say something. He pointed at the plane and when I looked, there it was 6 feet in the air with the nose pointed straight up!! Unfortunately, I wasn't fast enough nailing the throttle, and down it came. After studying the problem for a bit, I realized that the tail sits so low on the ground that it was effectively trapping air between the wing and the ground, and a good gust could easily lift the plane. I installed a scale type tail wheel assembly that raised the tail quite a bit at rest, and no more problems.

I also had problems when the c.g. was too far back, and settled on about 5.5" as a good c.g. It flies really sweet at that setting. (I have a Super Tiger .90 running on Gas/Glow on mine.)

Anyway, the second time I repaired the fuselage from those balloon crashes, I laminated 1/8" lite ply on both sides of the fuselage from about midpoint on the canopy to about 2" behind the canopy. Now the tail doesn't twist so easily, and it is not going to break at that point again! (I know, added weight, but the plane doesn't seem to notice it....)

AV8TOR
Old 09-28-2008, 12:23 AM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My twist has a Saito 120.
It hovers just a few clicks above idle.
Does about 100 mph...into the wind.
Hyper overpowering causes complete and utter madness in the air.
This kind of overpowering should be banned.
[X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15328.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1042070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12447.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1042071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64967.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1042072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke90889.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1042073  
Old 10-09-2008, 04:28 PM
conradj87

I pancaked the twist over the weekend. Was practicing harriers and got too low, couldn't make it back out. Did a decent amount of damage. Snapped the fuse in half right behind the wing saddle, broke the lg off and put one of the wheels into the wing, beat up the wing tips and the leading edge, but the wing overall is in good shape. Ripped the rudder/tailwheel off, probably wouldn't have been a problem if I would have replaced the tailwheel in the first place. The landing gear actually split the 1/4" block of wood it was in, the glue held very well, I was pretty surprised.

Could somebody (with a fuse in one piece:-)) measure the opening that the wing mounts in? apparently a few pieces of wood got left behind, I want to make sure I get it all aligned before I glue it together only to find out my wing won't fit in it :-)
Thanks!

I'll post some pics when I start fixing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.