Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

double elevator servo Hookup?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

double elevator servo Hookup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 04:19 PM
onemorecast
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default double elevator servo Hookup?

This is probably one of those "dumb" questions, but working on the Balsa Nova ARF, (1.20), two elevator servos are installed as it has a split elevator. Fine. The only way that I can see to possibly hookup the servos would be to put one control pushrod on the top of the servo control horn and one on the bottom of the other control horn.
I have a JR SX600 radio, nothing fancy, but with a Y harness, I can't get them to move in unison, and the same direction, which I would think one would want to do. Is there a special Y harness? Any help appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 07-30-2006, 04:27 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: double elevator servo Hookup?

The best thing to use is a JR Matchbox, but they're a bit pricey. A reversing "Y" cord will also work. O ryou can go the cheap route and just hook them up to opposite sides of the servos - This will result in a very slight difference in throw, but try it, you may never notice the difference.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:34 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

The easy answer is a reversing Y harness as you suspect. While there must be others out there you can get one from Tower Hobbies Item # LXAFN2 ,$18.99 + shipping , for JR. They work great!
Old 07-30-2006, 05:57 PM
onemorecast

Thanks for the replies, guys! The only thing that I could think of was to run one control rod on the top of the servo and one on the bottom of the other servo, but not sure that that will be real smooth. I will look into a reversing Y harness. Have a hobby shop here and he can put that on one of his orders. Thanks alot!
Old 07-30-2006, 06:40 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run dual servos on many planes. I know whatyour talking about. You need to mount one servo facing one direction and the second servo the other direction. Regular Y harness will be fine. Control rods will not be the same length but this is okay
Old 07-30-2006, 07:55 PM
onemorecast

I will be putting in the servos like you've stated. I'll have to run out see if the way they are setting, if they will run in unison. I tried on the bench just hooking it up temporary and couldn't get them to run together, so I'll go out and give that a try the way they sit.
Thanks!
Old 07-30-2006, 08:18 PM
onemorecast

Nope. They way the servos are positioned, even if you flip one end for end, I get the same result as I did on the bench. The only way to make them work in unison, would be to hook up one control rod to the top of the servo arm, and the other to the bottom.
But, fun to experiment. It's like taking the servos from the wings, and turning them inward one quarter turn towards each other, so the bottoms face each other. It doesn't change their movement, as they are on the ailerons, working in opposite directions.
Thanks!
Old 07-31-2006, 05:37 AM
Dav0012

i have a great planes christen eagle II 29% and also a seagl models harrier 40 and these run dual elevator servos in tail, all i do is hook up a in-line servo reverser to ones servo, then attach a second extension up the fuselage into a y peice.

i shall try and post a rough pic ive drawn up as an example.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66245.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	499551  
Old 07-31-2006, 09:56 AM
onemorecast

Thanks for the drawing! I think, with what little research I have done, the reverser is right in the Y harness, and on one line of the "Y", unless there is just an inline reverser that hooks into your servo exension line. I will do some research this week with our hobby store and see what he can order for me. Thanks for the great drawing!
Old 07-31-2006, 10:23 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Brian i don't understand why switching one of the servo around didn't help? If both servo horns are toward the back and both linkages are on bottom and the elev halfs move opposite. Then turning one of the servos around where the horn is on the front HAS to fix it.
I have had trouble with the reversing Y. It nearly cost me a plane when the trim changed in flight on the reversed half. I know many people use them with no trouble but I wont use one again. I bought a 9C right after that happened so I could drive each servo off it's own channel.

david
Old 07-31-2006, 12:08 PM
onemorecast

Dave:
Okay, both servos to the rear, I played with that. They work reverse action, not in the same direction. By rotating one servo to the front, the action is still opposite, or the same, unless I am not comprehending your directions, but I believe I tried that last night. The only way that they would move the same direction is if they are laying both facing the same direction, and of course, they cannot be mounted that way. The only way I can see, and maybe I'm blind, is to run one control rod on top, and one on the bottom. I can't see any other way to get the servos to run together. Sorry, but I will continue to play with it, and see what I come up with, but those are my observations. Thank you for your response.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:05 PM
Wings of Peril

Horizon’s servo reverser is way cheap - $8.95, only half-a-buck more than their Y-cable. I thought my LHS had mis-priced it so I looked it up on the Horizon site. Yep-only $8.95. It works for me. “Expert†brand I think. The little Phillips head pot is for centering the reversed servo if the arms are set at slightly different angles when placed in the proper “splined†positions. The pot turned too easy for my taste (concerned about vibration) so I placed a little threadlocker in there (the kind they use on PC board screws) but a dot of nail polish would probably work also. Aside from hooking them up wrong, servo arm angle and push rod angle will cause the differential in elevator travel.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:20 PM
daveopam

Brian maybe I don't understand where they are mounted. Are the servos in the plane up near the wing? Or one on each side of the fuse? Or what? Can you tell me where the servos mount on the plane.

David
Old 07-31-2006, 08:29 PM
onemorecast

Hi, Dave:
The elevator is a split elevator, so each servo mounts in the fuse, one on each side of the fuse, mounted on the outside, set into the fuse servo opening, which are located under the stab. Flipping a servo end for end still makes the servos counter rotate, each going in the opposite direction. It doesn't change the rotation direction of either servo. Does that make sense? Thanks!
Old 07-31-2006, 08:53 PM
forestroke

you can also open up the servo cross the outside leads of the pots and turn the motor 180 degrees. i've done this for my dual elevator planes and it seems to work fine. a little more DIY if you know what i mean. but it's free and with the amount of the dual elevator planes out there these days, it's not a bad thing to learn how to do!
Old 08-01-2006, 04:45 AM
Dav0012

the only way to run dual servos is with seperate channels with a good radio set, or the servo reverser, because no matter which direction you mount the servo the throws are always going to be different, such as this once again "rough" drawing. or even fourstrokes idea seems to be good

Name:	Qn38521.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	500059  
Old 08-01-2006, 09:42 AM
daveopam

Brian I was sure giving you the wrong advise. I went out to my shop and turned one of my elev servos around. No difference. i sure had that wrong. Sorry! I do have a reverse Y in my shop. It is not the one I had trouble with. It is the one the company sent to replace it. I used it a few flights before upgrading. If you want it PM me with your address. I will send it.

David
Old 08-01-2006, 06:24 PM
perdo
My Feedback: (61)

The advise I would give you if you are using JR servos then why not use one JR and one Futaba or two Hitechs one for positive pulse and one for negitive pulse. then they will be be reversed>>>

just my $0.02 worth and another Idea

Don//
Old 08-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

Servo reversing Y cables are suspect in a lot of crashes. Mount your servos in the same orientation, drive shaft towards front or aft it matters not, match your elevator servos and run them off two different radio channels and then reverse one channel. that way you inifinite control over each channel. Do you very best to match the elevators perfectly through your mechanical linkage first, then do your subtrim adjustments etc if you need too.

I am not sure what type of plane you are flying however control rod lengths and mechanical linkage setup and geometry are key to a good plane setup. Different control rod lengths and servo arm directions are never consistent, I know I will get slapped for that comment.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:16 PM
onemorecast

Wow, lots of great ideas, however, I don't know if I can put one servo into another channel on my radio. Looked at the book, etc., unless I go with a receiver that has more channels, and maybe then I could run in reverse, but I don't know that my radio has that capability. Maybe a different brand servo that has reverse control might work. I'll play with that idea when I get a chance.
Thanks for all of your help, everybody!
Old 08-02-2006, 06:19 PM
daveopam

Brian I sent the reverse Y to you today. It only cost me a buck to ship it. It really does not matter to me if you pay for the S&H or not. Whatever you are comfortable with. What radio do you have?

David
Old 08-02-2006, 09:17 PM
forestroke

yeah. split elevators is a pain for those that don't have a nine channel radio. my hitec eclipse seven channel doesn't support split elevators. technically you can do it but if you accidentally move the ch. 7 dial just a click, the elevators aren't even and can easily lead to havoc in the sky (soon the ground). i assume that for some other radio's you can turn off the dials you don't use or that there may be a special mode for split elevators.

anyway, i think that unless you have to have two elevator servos (for torque and short linkages) i prefer the bellcrank, the U shaped wire or the Y control rods.

the servo mod, while not difficult, does give you something extra to worry about!

good luck!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 11:12 PM
redneckteddy103

you need to set it up for pull pull and you wont have to worrie about it any more and use one of these trays you can run the 4 wires you will need to do it with no proble i have done this with all my planes

Name:	Sq45672.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	500976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32283.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	500977  
Old 08-02-2006, 11:32 PM
onemorecast

Thanks! DAVE. Much appeciated. R/Cer's are definitely the best in my book.

My radio is the JR SX600, which is not a complicated computor radio, and I looked through the book and don't see that there is anything that I can do as far as the radio or getting a receiver with more channels. But, normally, it is a nice radio for what I want to do and it has been flawless. Thanks to all!
Old 08-06-2006, 10:12 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

I recently had the same issue. I just called Horizon and ordered the servo I was using Reversed. Worked perfectly. I could have used a separate channel, but I'm using 2 receivers and wanted some simplicity. One servo in the elev port on one rx, the the reversed servo in the other elev port on the second rx. Yeah, I could have still mixed it but just wanted to do it this way.
Reversing Y harnesses have thier place, but I don't think they should be used on a control surface.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.