Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Can your ARF do this ??? Not easy but possible, check this out !!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Can your ARF do this ??? Not easy but possible, check this out !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:27 AM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can your ARF do this ??? Not easy but possible, check this out !!!!

Can your ARF do this ? Click the link to the VIDEO below:

http://media.putfile.com/RCVideoCrossCountryFlying

This plane is scratch built, but I have been tempted to do the same thing with an ARF, I think the Hobby Lobby Telemaster ARF would do quite nicely with this type of flying. It is stable, large (90 some inches) and will lift a lot of weight, and is not to expensive . What do you all think, any other ARF's out there that might work good for this type of flying ?

JettPilot
Old 08-01-2006, 11:43 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Can your ARF do this ??? Not easy but possible, check this out !!!!

That would be way cool! A tele would be great. A Sig LT-40 would work well to IMO
Old 08-01-2006, 03:26 PM
smokingwreckage

It looks more like a SPAD than anything else.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:42 PM
drone pilot

Jettpilot, I think anything stable, like a Sig Kadet Senior, Telemaster of even a 60 size Cub would do the trick. Lotsa of mini-cam setups out there to download to small DC portable TV. If you can fly "behind the plane" on Simulator you should be able to do this....
I have a pusher drone type .60 size built for cameras, but haven't had the desire to do that ......yet. Cliff
Old 08-01-2006, 08:36 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

A problem you may encounter, is when you go from line of sight flying, to either video or autonomous flight, the FAA likes to get involved. The FAA just grounded a very small autonomous UAV the Los Angeles Sheriff's Office was using because it was not being flown by line of sight.
The airplane in that video can see forward and cannot see 360 degrees around itself to see other aircraft or obstacles. The grounded UAV from LA was only meant to fly at an altitude of approx. 300 feet and weighed less than 5 pounds, but the FAA shut them down completely.
The last people I want snooping around my flying site is the FAA.

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/US_S...ice_Drone.html

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18972.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	500370  
Old 08-01-2006, 08:52 PM
JettPilot

ORIGINAL: CCRC1

The FAA just grounded a very small autonomous UAV the Los Angeles Sheriff's Office was using because it was not being flown by line of sight.

The FAA grounded the Los Angeles Sherriff's office, not because they were flying out of visual range, but because they are being flown above a large city. Had the Sheriffs office wanted to fly those things in remote farmland, nothing would have ever come of it...

The other issue is that the Sheriffs office is a large agency, once they start doing this stuff, over large cities, that changes everything, we are talking LOTS of 5 pounds planes in the air all the time.... A hobbyist like myself is not even in the same category.

And I got news for you, almost no airplane can see 360 degrees around itself. If you hold that as a standard, every airplane in the world would be grounded, except for maybe F-16's and P-51's.

JettPilot
Old 08-01-2006, 10:20 PM
drone pilot

You might get around it by using a "buddy box", and if you have control it is not flying autonomously, (not programed or hands off) With a Buddy Box, some one is in control at all times... Just a thought.....Of course FAA would be concerned and read regs thier way. Cliff
Old 08-01-2006, 10:29 PM
JettPilot

I am constantly flying the plane manually. It has an auto return feature, and can navigate its own course, but thats no fun [&o] It's a lot more fun wearing the goggles and flying it by the video

There are no FAA reg's that prohibit it yet As long as you dont do anything stupid or fly where you should not, its legal.... But im sure regulation is comming one day [:'(]
Old 08-01-2006, 10:36 PM
CCRC1

The primary complaint was that the UAV was flying autonomous and out of the line of site of a human pilot. An unmanned autonomous UAV poses a collision threat to other aircraft that may or may not be in the same airspace. It had nothing to do with the population in the immediate area. Here is the press release from AOPA who made the complaint to the FAA.
An autonomous UAV operated for commercial purposes is outside of the classification as a recreational R/C aircraft.
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...060609uav.html

The point I was trying to make is that if you are experimenting with out of sight R/C flight, you are pushing the edges of the regulations. If a mishap occures, the FAA will come snooping at your flying site. And, they will come with the preconceived idea that you are a problem. No flying site needs that kind of heartburn and reputation.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:50 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know about you guys, but SHE can fly my airplane anytime Nice landing too.....
Old 08-02-2006, 12:28 AM
drone pilot

Your point is/ was well taken, it is also against AMA rules to fly an autononmous aircraft... there has to be some control...and if I'm not mistaken, the line of sight is in reference to the pilot of the aircraft meaning your sight of the aircraft.. and you cannot use any aids to increase that line of sight ie: binoculars etc. Very intersting discussion though....Past article in AMA about trans-Atlantic R/C flight..it was NOT covered by AMA insurance because it was autononomous.. it was sanctioned by FAI I believe..... I'd rather the FAA watch gov't than watch me.....
Old 08-02-2006, 10:50 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did anyone say this was done at an AMA field, or for that matter, by AMA pilots?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:06 AM
JettPilot

Thank god AMA does not have any authority or ability to write law. They can control what happens at their fields, and they can chose not to insure us, but they do NOT have force of law. AMA is run by a bunch of old control freaks that are paranoid of anything new or innovative. We all know the type I am talking about here, the old farts at the field that never fly but like to sit around and watch, and become self appointed policeman to try enforce every club rule to the point it ruins flying for everyone.

I am of the opinion that if you are not hurting anyone else, or doing something downright stupid, then no one should bother you. I can tell the AMA to jump in a lake when I am not at one of their fields

JetPilot
Old 08-03-2006, 12:17 AM
Rebellion
My Feedback: (2)

Guys, just a reminder that this is the ARF forum. If you have AMA issues to discuss the AMA forum is the place to vent them.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:26 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Going back to ARFs. I would very much prefer that a model serve a useful function. Some questions I have: Besides photography, is there any value in installing weather instruments on an R/C trainer such as the Hobbico Nexstar? Among some of the things I would like to measure are barometric pressure, air density, temperature, altitude, heading, air speed, and humidity.

I can see some value in air sampling at 600 to 800 feet, in addition to the photography possibilities. Sooner or later, some of us will want more than just stunts, I would like to see some scientific value in this hobby. Perhaps a trainer with auto-leveling features might make sense for UAV purposes (line of sight, by the way, and not autonomous), since they would not be used for stunts so much as carrying valuable measuring and sampling instruments.

There aught be more to R/C than just modeling.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 08-03-2006, 12:10 PM
JettPilot

Measuring of all those things are done a million times a day by the national weather service. You doing them personally is not going to anything to help anyone. Why this need to convince yourself that you "doing something" , I have no use for "busy work" just created for the purpose of making someone do something.

This hobby is all about fun, airplanes, and thrill of flying

Why do some people feel so guilty about having fun that they have to make a chore out of everything [:'(]

JettPilot
Old 08-03-2006, 12:14 PM
CCRC1

ORIGINAL: NorfolkSouthern

There aught be more to R/C than just modeling.
I don't disagree, but we need to tread lightly. In a post 911 era we must watch carefully what we do in our hobby. Tailskid wanted to know if the airplane in question was at an AMA field. It doesn't matter! If the aircraft is being operated outside of the FAA's definition of recreational R/C, it will take enforcement actions no matter where it is being flown. Worse yet, it will want to impose ridiculous regulations and restrictions that we really don't want in our hobby. Look at the press release I posted from AOPA. It already indicates that the FAA is looking at regulating and controlling UAV use in the future and a committee has already been formed.
What I worry about is some FAA official looking at what jet pilot has come up with, and exclaiming, "See, I told you these model airplanes could pose an air traffic and security threat". "Here is a perfect example"! What could follow are regulations on weight, engine displacement, wingspan, construction material, altitude, flight locations and a whole host of other problems. Why poke the bear folks?
The FAA uses the AMA definitions as guidelines so even if you are not a member or not at an AMA site, they will defer to the AMA when deciding if the model is "Recreational". If you set up the airplane with instruments and it is being flown with the purpose of gathering data, its not recreational, but "scientific". And of course the FAA is going to want to stick its nose in and regulate its use somehow.
This topic of discussion has absolutely nothing to do with the AMA. It has to do with the Federal Aviation Administration and how it could impact our hobby as a whole if we are not careful and stay within the recreational arena. The FAA is already planning on regulating UAV's, and if we are not careful, we could get caught in the mix.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:06 PM
drone pilot

I may not be correct, but aren't all of those things available now? Auto leveling is available on the Nexstar trainer, and various gyro systems are on the market. Inflight data that can be down loaded has been advertised in at least one R/C magazine. 800' altitude...isn't that about 400' above AMA limit?
Leave the brainy stuff to the engineers and such... unless you are one. The main thought in this hobby is to have fun... But "do your own thing" Cliff
Old 08-03-2006, 09:16 PM
drone pilot

I'll bet you don't step on cracks in the sidewalk or walk under ladders..... If you stay in the parameters set forth by the AMA you will not be in conflict with the almighty FAA........ Do not fly ANY model aircraft beyond YOUR unaided line of sight. No autononomous flight means that the aircraft has to have some ground control, not a pre-programed flight plan that allows it to fly alone. There is a fellow in Fla. that has been flying his plane using an on board camera and he watching a monitor, for at least two years with NOT ONE problem with either the AMA or the FAA.....Check out RC Report Magazine page 99 orf the August issue. Why dream up problems that don't exist?? Just relax and have fun,,your shadow won't bite....Cliff 'nuf said.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:20 PM
drone pilot

Right on Bro.......Cliff
Old 08-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Rebellion
My Feedback: (2)

This one has strayed way off topic and has gone on long enough. I'm shutting it down.

Dave