Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

KYOSHO Calmato low wing ????

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

KYOSHO Calmato low wing ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 04:23 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default KYOSHO Calmato low wing ????

Anybody seen the Kyosho Calmato low winger?

It looks very much like the Tiger2. The Tiger2 has a symmetrical wing and flies great. Anybody know if the Calmato has a symmetrical wing? Nothing in the KYOSHO advertising mentions the wing's airfoil.

If this Calmato is symmetrical, it looks like it'd fly as good as the Tiger2, and it certainly looks as good or better.

Anybody?
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2006, 08:07 AM
polver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KYOSHO Calmato low wing ????

Hi darock,

Just put mine through a 50 foot gum tree, plane totaled tree unharmed. The Kyoshu has a semi symetrical wing form. Goes together well, looks good, flys great but the covering peels of every where after a dozen flights. First to go is the secondary colouring cover then the fuel lifts the main covering. Common problem with all Kysho stuff at our field.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:36 PM
forestroke

i've flown this plane a dozen times for friends and it's a great first low wing plane. the covering problem i've not experienced myself so i don't know. but the plane goes together in a snap and it flies beautifully. the landings are funny... once on the ground, the plane sticks like peanut butter.

another plane that warrants some attention is the world models Supersport 40 and 40S. These are my recommended low wing trainers.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:12 AM
da Rock

I wonder if the Calmato Sport available now is an updated version?

The pictures I've seen recently show what looks like a symmetrical wing. And a recent build article doesn't mention a covering problem. I know that KYOSHO ceased their original line of warbirds and only recently started selling a new 46size warbird line that looks to have up to date covering (UltraCote) and fixes for the problems from the original offerings.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:56 PM
horseman

Hey, I just bought one so not quite together yet,but i'm very curious about the GX.40size eng. that it comes with. Is it enough to fly well,Does it need more power? It also comes with a 12x6 prop. Funny thing is that i'm used to a 10x6 or 10x4(for vertical pulling or tork) for a .40 size.What do ya think?
Old 09-23-2006, 08:10 PM
da Rock

That GX40 looks like a 2cycle. Since my OS46AX engines all pull an 11x6 as the standard prop, I'd doubt seriously that your 40 would work well with that 12" prop. Are you sure it's a 12x6? A 40 four cycle might turn a 12x6 about right, but not a two cycle.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:07 PM
horseman

Hey sorry I thought that this computer would tell me when you replied, but I guess not. anyway Yes it has a 12x6 prop. Funny hunh. and it's not ringed I know nothing about Kyosho engs. [&o]
Old 09-23-2006, 09:08 PM
horseman

Hey sorry I thought that this computer would tell me when you replied, but I guess not. anyway Yes it has a 12x6 prop. Funny hunh. and it's not ringed I know nothing about Kyosho engs. [&o]
Old 09-24-2006, 07:38 PM
PlaneHeli

darock,

I bought my Calmato low wing earlier this year.

The wing is not symmetrical. Also has slight dihedral.

The top tailplane covering peeled off on about the 20th flight. The fin covering the next flight. So although the covering looks great out of the box, the quality is very poor.
Do other ARF kits have these covering problems.

That said, the plane looks good, is very stable, and lands easily.

Tape on all the leading edges may delay the covering peeling. Also all the decals peeled off after only a few flights.

I did a basic review of this model a while back.

Im running a OS46AX with APC 10x7.

Cheers
Old 09-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

It looks a lot like the World Models Super Sports 40, the release before they put a cowl on it.

If it flys anything the Sports 40, it should be OK. I love my sports 40; with a YS53 bolted on, it flys very well. No covering problems with the WM one though.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:21 PM
IAMKAOS

i saw one of those today. a fella showed up at our flying site with the low wing calmato. nice color of blue. it had somewhat of a thick wing that looked like it was semi-symmetrical....... there was also 2 people with tiger 2's. the tiger 2's looked like they had a little more wingspan though. i did not talk to the owner but the calmato looked much nicer than the tigers. it had a nice appearance and smoother lines than the tigers and it seemed to fly great. sorry i could not be more help.
ORIGINAL: darock

Anybody seen the Kyosho Calmato low winger?

It looks very much like the Tiger2. The Tiger2 has a symmetrical wing and flies great. Anybody know if the Calmato has a symmetrical wing? Nothing in the KYOSHO advertising mentions the wing's airfoil.

If this Calmato is symmetrical, it looks like it'd fly as good as the Tiger2, and it certainly looks as good or better.

Anybody?
Old 09-24-2006, 08:23 PM
da Rock

I just bolted the wing on for the final checks.

The model weighs 5lb 2oz, which is a great weight. That's about a half pound lighter than the Tiger2 came to.

As with every ARF I've assembled in the last year, there is one "do over". The main gear is plugged into the wing almost right under the CG. There is no angle to the struts. The gear points straight down, and would even if the two struts were swapped side-to-side. So the main wheels are almost directly under the CG. sigh.......

I made a guess where it was going to need the equipment placed for the suggested CG and darned if it didn't come in perfect. I might just go with an 1100mAh battery now. Won't do anything but add an ounce or two to the weight. I might move it back some too. I sorta like most airplanes to have the CG back some.

I was working tonight to get it ready to go in the morning with nothing left to do. Figured I'd go ahead and stick it in the car. Didn't after seeing the gear vs the CG. Guess I'll bend a couple of new struts before I go tomorrow.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:02 AM
da Rock

Been flying that sucker for a month now. It's an excellent airplane.

It so impressed me that I talked a buddy into taking on the highwing Calmato as a project. He and I buddy box, and the highwing flies better than any other trainer I've seen this year. Both the high and low wingers finished out lighter than the average of their class. That's a big leg up for any airplane.

Both of them come out of the box with most everything done. Even the motor mounts are in place. All surfaces already hinged. Just stick the two wing halves together and plug the horizontal tail in and hook up the connecting rods.

AND THEY FLY GREAT.........
Old 10-24-2006, 08:22 AM
da Rock

BTW, we've had two different engines on the highwing so far. The adjustable mounts make engine swaps easy.

We flew the Green Tomato with a 46AX to begin with. It flew great. Takeoffs were dead simple. Too easy actually. But we decided that the airplane didn't come close to needing the power.

After swapping out the 46 with an OS40, I'll be darned if there is really any real difference in the flight performance. It has to be that the vertical is less, but not so's you'd notice from the ground. It actually does take off with a bit more roll, but not much.

We're about to swap another engine into the airplane just to see how it does. Since the mount adjusts for width, and has "adjustable" holes, ain't no effort to do.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:33 AM
Treacle

I was looking to get this for christmas as my first glow fuel plane. I have had experience from an electric low winged plane, but should I go for the high winged version.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:04 PM
da Rock

The high wing is a sweetheart too. After swapping in a 40 it's lots easier to handle on take off. I've also swapped in an 11x4 and the total package just might be the best trainer I've dealt with in a year.

The low wing has just gotten a CG study done on her. I ran the dimensions through the online CG application and decided it would be sensible to do some CG adjusting. I've moved the battery from just inside the fuel tank compartment back behind the servos. The airplane flies just as stable as before, only now it'll do decent snap rolls. It wallowed with the suggested CG. I was expecting the elevator to become more powerful and it did. I had turned down the dualrate for it in anticipation. After one flight, I turned it back up.

The low wing is not a twitchy airplane, even with a CG that's appreciably aft of the mfg's suggested rearmost location. I think that it's slightly faster than the highwing, but they both are rocksolid in the landing pattern.

If I were you, I would suggest that your Christmas present be made available early.......

Which color you looking for? My yellow has times when it doesn't stand out in the sky very well. The green highwing seems to always be clearly visible. I think the darker colors are better in the air than that yellow. I'd bet that the red low wing is like the green for visibility. And the blue ought to be a good color to see. I'm trying to talk one of my flying buddies into getting a red one, but he wants me to sell him my Tiger2 instead.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:36 PM
ProScaleRc

One of my friends had one of these. He had an OS AX 46 in it and it flew beautifully. Considering it can be used for a trainer, he had a great with it being an experienced pilot.

My advice, if you're thinking of buying one, you're on a winning streak.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:57 PM
speedracer0722

I just assembled the low wing kyosho sport and it is a GREAT flying airplane. I powered mine with an Evolution .46 swinging a MA 11x4 and it is pretty quick. It is really stable on landing and lands really slow. I am thinking about getting another one actually!
Old 03-12-2007, 04:51 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you guys seen the .60 ?

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/airplanes/gp/11216RB.asp

Technical Data

ยท Length: 62.9 in. (1598mm)

ยท Width: 71.26 in. (1810mm)

ยท Approx. weight: 120 oz. (3400g)

ยท Wing Area: 869.7 sq. in. (56.11dm2)

ยท Approx. wing load: 60.6g/dm2

ยท Wing Type: NACA2415

Included

ยท 460cc fuel tank

ยท Tires