Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar-9 Sopwith Camel Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar-9 Sopwith Camel Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:48 AM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar-9 Sopwith Camel Build Thread

The 2nd switch for the ignition is installed, the manual choke is rigged, and the cowl is installed. Now I need to tighten and safety wire all of the turn buckles. She should be ready to fly by the New Year's day and I'm hoping for good weather?

RJ
Old 12-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Azzir325

Fingers and eyes crossed. Hope you get good weather and good film.
Rick
Old 12-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe:

It's looking pretty good for Arlington on 1 Jan.

Mostly cloudy, high 45, winds N at 11mph, 20% chance of rain. Looks like you're gonna have to do it.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:20 PM
rowdyjoe

My local forecast predicts winds at 10 to 20 mph. That's over my limit for a first flight. However, I'll take her to the field in case the weather folks are wrong. I'm also taking my 50cc bird because Iknow it will handle those winds and Imay take my little 64mm ducted fan jet. We'll see ....but, Idefinately want to start the new year off right by flying on the 1st.

Hope I can find someone who knows how to video planes in the air.

Now Ineed to get busy on those flying wires and get them secured.

Oooops, almost forgot that Ineed to check the CG and get her balanced.

RJ

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54527.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	1834708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni25078.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1834709  
Old 12-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Azzir325

On the flying wires, I just used a short piece of thin flexible wire, twisted into the loop at one end, thru the hole in the turnbuckle and then twisted into the loop on the other end. Not fancy, but the turnbuckles don't move any more.

I try to get a flight in on the 1st of the year myself. Nothing fancy as the fingers freeze to quickly for assembly and fueling of bigger planes, but something. Good luck to you!
Rick
Old 12-29-2012, 02:35 PM
rowdyjoe

Rick,
That's where the little EDF comes in. It it's too cold, wet, etc., I'll fly it for 3 or 4 min. and call it good and done.
The older Iget the more comfortable Iwant to be. Freezing my keester off is not comfortable.
The temp should be OK on the 1st, it's the wind I worry about. Thanks for the good wishes.

Oh, on the flying wires. That's what Iplan to do too. I tried thread lock but, it didn't so, a simple single wire safety job should cure the problem. Holding each side of the wire while Iadjust the turnbuckle is a bit tricky and Iwill probably need an extra pair of hands.

RJ
Old 12-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Azzir325

Roger that. I have any number of small electrics to fill the bill. Turn on the radio, pop in a battery, toss and fly. Then pack it in and head for a hot drink! LOL.

I've been keeping busy building a Trittle/Dumas biplane. I started covering today. Can you hate building but love building at the same time?

Name:	Tr49996.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1834713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80396.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1834714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60459.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1834715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97947.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1834716  
Old 12-29-2012, 03:03 PM
rowdyjoe

That looks like a neat little bird you're building. I used to build from kits when there were no ARFs. I'm too old to wait these days so, ARFs are the best thing since sliced bread for me. I get frustrated over things like mufflers that don't fit, etc.
In the late '80's my Son and Igot in to building sailplanes from kits. It was a good thing for bonding with my Son and we had a great time doing it. They were simple with few controls so, the were fairly easy to build ...mostly yank and bank. We launched using a "high start" and there were some exciting moments while doing that and we re-kitted a few.
I have a World Models Intruder 90 sitting here in the box that Ineed to have built/assembled and ready to fly by the time contest season rolls around. I need to get started on it but, must finish and fly the Camel first.

Whoa, my yard looked similar to that on the 26th but, it was gone by the 27th. That's the way Ilike my snow ...here and gone. It's pretty but, makes a real mess if it hangs around too long.

RJ
Old 12-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Azzir325

I built when I was a kid, then was out of the hobby for a long time. I enjoy the challenge of assembling an ARF, but I run with the big dogs in my club and although they are nice about it, they are some major good builders who have Top Gun caliber planes and I take some kidding. I have 6 giant scale planes, including the Hangar nine bipes (D 7 and Camel) and the Great Planes DR 1. A cub type, bought basically built, a Giant Aeromaster (ARF) and a Mud Duck, also bought built. I travel to a good number of IMAA events each year and haven't missed a Warbirds over Delaware in 5 years. Still the guys are "encouraging" me to build, and I have a full kit coming for Roy Vaillencourt's (Vailly Aviation) quarter scale Stinson L 5 which I hope to have built and flying by Warbirds.
Rick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh7RBvBE7wc
Old 12-29-2012, 03:52 PM
rowdyjoe

That Mud Duck is a goofy looking plane. Does it take a Goofy pilot to fly it?
Wow, you've got quite a hangar full. I'm down to 2 gas planes (the Camel and my 30% Edge) and two 4 strokes (DVIIand the Intruder ....when Iget it built). Iwrecked my other 50cc bird a few weeks ago.

I messed around with building kits as a kid and tried control line ...unsuccessfully. The sailplanes were my first venture into RC and Ireally liked it but, had too much going on. We were living in So. Cal. (held captive by a paycheck for 11 yrs after USAF retirement) and moved 50 miles away from work to a house we could afford. Ididn't have much time for anything except traveling to and from work and sleeping. We finally escaped back to TX in '96 and have been happy ever since.
When I retired from the aerospace industry in Jan. '08, I was looking for a hobby. I tried HOtrains and like it but, it's a lonely hobby. I've always been an aviation buff so, Itried RC planes and here I am. I've been in the hobby a bit over 4 yrs (Ithink) and plan to stay involved. We have a great bunch of people in our club. In fact, if it weren't for the people I wouldn't enjoy it near as much. It's just a naturally social hobby and Ilike people (well, most of them anyway).

Thanks for sharing the video. The Duck looks like a fun bird to fly. It's certainly a conversation piece.

RJ

Old 12-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Azzir325

That's funny. Yes, I definitely have a goofy side and that's the main reason why when I had the chance to buy the Duck, I took it. It's a monster but it flies just fine on an OS 91 four stroke.

My flying as a kid was all control line, unless you count the dime store rubber wind up planes like the Sleek Streak. I had a brother near my age and we had and flew just about every Cox plane there was, and we built a few stick and tissue models to use with the engines we harvested from the Cox casualties. LOL! Just about the time we were going to graduate to larger control liners (we built a Flite Streak) life got in the way and she never flew. Funny also you got into HO trains late in life. I was probably more into HO trains as a youngster then airplanes, and had trains right up until a few days ago when I carried them into a local hobby store and gave them away for 100 dollars. I wasn't using them and none of my kids wanted them so they were just taking up space. Maybe now they will find some use.

I've been an aviation buff all my life since a Disney film called "The Boy who Flew with Condors." Ever see it? It was on Disney's TV show Wonderful World of Color. It was about sailplanes. I've had a few sailplanes with electric motors and have a few small planes now that will thermal on a good day. In my late teens I learned to fly full scale and hold a Private ticket, tho I have been inactive for decades.

I know what you mean about the social side of the hobby. As I said, I go to a lot of events, and I register as a pilot and even get a few flights in, but being there, talking with fellow airplane nuts, and watching the action is the main reason I am there. I'm glad you enjoyed the video. I could post more links and will if you want me to, but if you check my channel there are many more, including some Delaware vids and some from my clubs big annual show at Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome up here in NY.
Rick
Old 12-29-2012, 07:31 PM
rowdyjoe

That's great Rick. If Ididn't have a Goofy side I wouldn't be in this hobby. I had a wrecked foamy F-22 that I hot glued back together and when it was done it looked pretty bad. Imade a new canopy from 2 sides of a plastic water bottle and glued that on and then took a black permanent marker and drew short lines across the glue joints to look like stitches. I also added a little red to the joints to look like fresh blood (it was near Halloween). I took it to the field and it was real hit. It even flew well until Idorked it in again. Ithink I have a picture of it that Ican post here.
I built a few stick and paper models too and made a flew a bunch of kites. My brother and Igot a plastic control line model made by Cox with an .049 on it. We beat that thing in the ground so many times it was pathetic. I think one of us finally made it around the circle twice before crashing it. We used the engine to make an airboat out of a piece of 2X4. It floated but, didn't go very fast and it wasn't steerable. Good thing the ditch was shallow.
While I was in the Air Force I managed to get my Commercial and ASMEL. Istarted on my instrument on the way to becoming an Instructor but, decided it was too much work. All of that work took the fun out out it. I bought a high wing homebuilt powered by an 0290G while living in CA and kept it a couple of years. I sold it before we moved back to TX and I was too busy to pursue real planes and then they priced me out of the market. So, I'm happy flying RC.
I'll take a look at the vids on your channel.
I'm sure I've seen the movie you refer to. I watched Sky King religiously and every WW1 or WWII flying movie I can find. Among my favorites are "The Rocketeer", "The Great Waldo Pepper", and "Fly Boys". Ialso try not to miss an episode of "Dogfights"on the History or Military channel on TV.

Hope you and yours had a blessed Christmas,
Garry

Name:	Lj21824.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	1834829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92011.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1834830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej11949.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1834831  
Old 12-31-2012, 06:19 PM
rowdyjoe

The Camel is finally ready to fly. All of the flying wires are secure and the engine is running like a top. I've posted a video to give you an idea of how she sounds and looks. The engine is swinging a 15x8 wood prop from RCGF and it seems to like it well. I haven't taken any tach readings yet but, idle, transition, and top end are all smooth and responsive. I have it running a bit rich at the low end during break-in and I'll lean it out when Ithink she's ready. Total run-time so far is approx. 45min. I think the rings are beginning to seat already because Ihaven't noticed a lot of oil on the plane after running it tonight.

Here's the link to the video .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfbyy425jDM

RJ
Old 12-31-2012, 06:31 PM
flyallday

Is it just the camera angle or are your wings not level?

Harry
Old 12-31-2012, 06:43 PM
rowdyjoe

I think Ihave a broken rubber suspension band on the right side. Then again, it could be the camera angle.

RJ

Old 12-31-2012, 07:34 PM
flyallday

Oh yeah, the o-rings I keep meaning to change those when I run out of the bulk package I bought. I thought that "lean" looked familiar.

Harry
Old 01-01-2013, 04:53 PM
rowdyjoe

FIRST FLIGHT SUCCESS !!!!!
Even though the wind was above my limit for first flights, Iflew it anyway. She did very well but, was pretty darned tail heavy. Either I didn't measure it correctly or the CG is not where the factory says it is. So, I added 2oz more and flew her again. It helped but, was still tail heavy. Not having any more weights, Ipacked her up and just sat around and visited for a while. The little 15cc gas engine provided plenty of power and it was needed for trips upwind. Downwind was a quick trip and she needed plenty of thrust to make the rudder effective in turns. Imay try a bigger prop to get the thrust outside the perimeter of the cowl more ....maybe a 16x6 if Ican find one.
One of our members showed up with a turbine powered jet ...I believe is was an A4 Skyhawk (Navy). Anyway, he tinkered with it for a long time trying to figure out a trouble spot but, he eventually got her going and put on a very nice aerial display. If was very nice to watch. That thing is FAST.
It was windy and cold but, we had a very nice time. Most of the usual suspects were there although the beans and cornbread were gone by the time I got there at 1:30pm.

Sorry, no video or pictures. I took the camera but, forgot to get it out of the truck. Hope to remember next time.

RJ

Old 01-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Azzir325

Highest congratulations, RJ! I think I told you my story of the balancing of my Camel. The 16 ounce lead block was installed, and a 2 ounce heavy hub as well. After a lovely flight and typical landing (rolled on its back) I tried a flight without the heavy hub, and was dismayed by how squirrelly it got, so the HH went back on and stayed on. How did the landings go? You put the lead down low, right? Or was that someone else, somewhere else? I am anxious to get my Camel out for a first flight after the repair and lead lowering modification. I hope it makes a difference.
Rick
Old 01-01-2013, 05:17 PM
spitfire1999
My Feedback: (21)

I know it's tough to wade through 50 pages of thread, but the factory CG has been a problem for sure. WWI planes need A LOT of weight up front or they will always be tail heavy . I recommend balancing it slightly nose heavy per the factory CG then add a bunch more weight to make it obviously nose heavy, then make that first flight. Congratulations on your maiden!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Azzir325

I did get out for a New Years Day flight myself, despite hurricane winds. All was well until my eyes got watery and a gust put me in a tree. Oh well. A tough park flyer the THAWK is. She took a bit of damage but nothing major and some teamwork with a water bottle and a rope (threw the bottle over the branch with the rope tied on, then shake the branch till the plane flew itself down) got her back.

Finally got to the point where I could look at the DH 4 as an airplane. Final engineering is in progress.
Rick

Name:	Us55319.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1836018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18416.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1836019  
Old 01-01-2013, 05:41 PM
rowdyjoe

Thanks fellas. I should have known it would need more weight in the nose but, it balanced soooo nicely in the garage last night. (duh).

Rick, yes that was me moving the weight down below the engine but, then Ichanged engines. I removed the lightweight 4 stroke and the lead block and installed the 15cc gasser. I thought that would be enough weight and it is close.
I have a couple of heavy hubs but, they aren't the right thread for my prop shaft. Ineed to make a trip to my LHSand find one to fit ...or have one or both of these rethreaded. I'm sure another 2oz on the end of the prop shaft would make a big difference, I have a 4oz too ....just in case.
Yep, both landings in the grass were nose overs but, mostly my fault. I was so concerned about getting her safely down Iforgot to hold up elevator as she rolled out. I'll do better next time and I'll try to get the extra weight lower if I can't find a heavy hub with the right threads.

Spitfire ....
Thanks for the congrats. I "thought"Ihad it made as to CG but, that's what Iget for thinking. Ishould have known better.

This is going to be a very fun bird to fly once I get the CG worked out. I'm really happy with the engine and may need to apply a bit of down thrust along with extra weight. She wants to climb under high throttle. Iwas afraid to try inverted flight today. The wind was knocking her around quite a bit and didn't want to risk an unusalbe attitude.

Garry
Old 02-21-2013, 09:06 AM
rowdyjoe

Howdy to all. Here's another update on my camel with gas engine.
Iordered and tried to install a custom JTECHmuffler but, it wouldn't fit either. It was 1/4" too tall. So, Icontacted JTECHand they agreed to modify it for me at no cost. Very nice customer support. It's on it's way back now so, I'll know in a couple of days how well it fits.
I've added more weight to the engine compartment and expect the CG to be fine when I fly here again. This next flight will seem like a first flight because it's been so long since the last flight. (huh?)
I've been restoring a vintage (2004 era) GPSuper Chipmunk and it's a fun project. It just needed a little repair under the wings where the landing gear was torn out on a bad landing. It has a G38 gasser on it and it runs strong. Still have some things to do to the engine it to get it in the air. This one has a smoke system and should be a fun plane at fly-ins, etc.

I'm really looking foward to getting the Camel in the air. Ithink the little gas engine on it is a winner and will only get better with age (as all gassers do).

RJ

Old 02-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Azzir325

I am getting so fed up with this damn winter. With oil costing and arm and a leg instead of a toe and a finger I am keeping my house at a not so toasty 62 degrees, and that only when I am here! But I still get out and do some flying on Sunday mornings. When it is real cold I usually just stand around chatting until we pick up and go to the diner for some late breakfast/early lunch. Also have a few indoor venues to keep me in practice.

Speaking of practice, calling the Dumas DH 4 build practice for building the 1/4 scale Vailly Stinson is like calling taking a rowboat out on a pond is practice for sailing the Queen Elizabeth. The Stinson tail plane has 2 and 1/2 inches on the wingspan of the DH 4! Holy cow what have I gotten myself into? Can you say disaster in the making? Oh well...

Name:	Tr51207.jpg
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1855061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47955.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1855062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10930.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1855063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42809.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1855064  
Old 02-22-2013, 03:37 PM
rowdyjoe

Don't let cabin fever get you down Rick. Hang in there.

What's that stuff on your bench? Looks like a broken airplane to me. In fact, it looks like one Iwrecked about 2 months ago.

Iadmire your fortitude and courage. I'm too old and impatient to build a kit. If it doesn't come 90% assembled and pre-covered, I don't have time for it. Too much wasted time when Icould be flying.
Of course, we don't really have a winter here in TX so, our "building season" is usually in the summer when it's too dang hot to fly.
We usually have at least one flyable day a week in the winter and today is one of them. However, I chose to stay home and beef up the gear attach points on the Chipmunk.

OH, I just traded an unbuilt electric plane for a Great Planes Reactor Bipe with 20cc Zenoah mounted on it. All I need is a receiver and she'll be ready to fly. Ihaven't picked it up yet but, I traded with a flying buddy I trust so, I"m sure it's in good shape. To top it all off, the first owner (I'm the 3rd but, the 2nd never flew it) documented the build on a local club web site. He did a good job on it and I'm confident it's a good one. This "bartering" stuff is nice. Imade a couple of trades before this one to get what I finally wanted.

Still waiting on the muffler to show up. It will probably be here tomorrow and then I'll be fitting and cutting the cowl. This engine/airplane combo is a good one I think.

Garry

Old 02-22-2013, 03:49 PM
Azzir325

Thanks for your encouragement. LMAO! Since I got into the RC about 10 years ago, I have mainly bought 'em built or ARF'ed one up, but like I said, I run with the big dogs so I kind of got to at least try something like this.

Good luck with your new plane. I'm not much into that kind of plane and flying. But have fun! I started the Stinson build thread ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11419861 ) now just waiting for the laughter to begin. Oh well...
Rick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.