Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Vmar Cap 231ex

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Vmar Cap 231ex

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 08:40 AM
jumper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vmar Cap 231ex

Anyone know how they fly?????????
THANX....
Old 02-01-2003, 09:28 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Vmar Cap 231ex

Jumper:

This airplane has one big problem: Vmar.

They are just not very good planes. If you can put up with countless piddly troubles, reglue everything before the first flight, and don't get put off by the shelf paper covering, go for it. They usually do fly nicely. Until the firewall comes out. Or the gear breaks out. These problems should be covered by your reglue job, though.

When the engine comes off, then
. you get to watch a hell of a spin.

Bill.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:13 AM
Lt. Dan
My Feedback: (21)

Default Vmar Cap 231ex

Originally posted by William Robison
Jumper:

This airplane has one big problem: Vmar.

They are just not very good planes. If you can put up with countless piddly troubles, reglue everything before the first flight, and don't get put off by the shelf paper covering, go for it. They usually do fly nicely. Until the firewall comes out. Or the gear breaks out. These problems should be covered by your reglue job, though.

When the engine comes off, then
. you get to watch a hell of a spin.

Bill.
I'm just curious Bill, have you ever built or owned a VMAR kit???
Old 02-01-2003, 04:20 PM
William Robison

Default Vmar Cap 231ex

Dan:

I saw the post about selling your Vmar trainer, you seem to have gotten a good one.

I was tempted by the Vmar Texan II, and then I saw one.

In their first days on the market several were ordered by members of my club, owner's comments range from "I've spent the money, I'll fly it." to "If I knew then what I know now..."

So no, Dan I've not owned one. Some lessons can be learned vicariously.

Again, I'm glad you got a good one.

Great Planes and Hangar Nine,
. But the Vmar? Not mine.

Bill.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:42 AM
jumper

Default Vmar Cap 231ex

Thank for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2003, 12:43 PM
bbbair

Default Vmar Cap 231ex

Well guys I'll have to disagree on a few points here, I have had four Vmar kits over the past five years and I didn't have any major problems with them. Even after a crash (my fault) they were repairable and took to the sky again, doing everything that they were suppose to do.

In all fairness I have heard some poor comments about the Vmars but Let's consider the obvious...

They are not as good as we can make ourselves,
They are priced at about HALF of what it would cost us to make a similar plane,
It takes days to assemble one vs months to build a kit,
We tend to believe that if it comes out of a box it should be perfect the first time, take the time to inspect it and correct and minor problems before the first flight.

They are made in the heat and humidity of Vietnam and then shipped to the world...from the deserts of Austrialia to the swamps of Louisiana. It's not hard to beleive that some warping occurs en route. Inspect it, and fix it, no big problem.

When buying these planes I keep in mind what I am paying and how much time I am saving.

They are great for first time fliers, people with little time or talent to build and to get you back in the air after your winter project takes a nose dive on it's maiden flight. (who do we critisize for that one?)

Happy Landings
Bruce
Old 02-02-2003, 05:57 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vmar Cap 231ex

Well Lt Dan, I do own one and can attest to the sub-sub and way below sub standard quality of these kits. Where shall I start? Cheap brittle and thin plastic parts, spongey wood, crappy hinges pre-installed (2 broke just flexing ailerons) piss-poor instructions, the worst shelf paper covering you have ever seen will ripple with any heat or temp fluxuations. Thin and weak control rods, funky painted pilots glued into the cockpit and under the glued canopy so you couldn't change them if you wanted to. ARFS have elevated in quality immensly in the past five years. VMAR takes a giant leap backwards. There are so many other quality kits out there please don't waste you hard earned money on these!
Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
Old 02-02-2003, 06:13 PM
BRYAN01601
My Feedback: (48)

Default Vmar Cap 231ex

i have one, have flown it twice and it will now sit in my hanger until eternity. yes it flies. No it will not do 3d type aerobatics. for this type of plane it is very heavy. I would not use any of the included hardware (including the hinges, mine broke as well before the first flight w/o and stress on them) for 99.00 it looks good, but looks do not account for much in this hobby. Frankly it flys like #$%&!
Old 02-02-2003, 07:35 PM
William Robison

Default How about it, Dan?

It would seem, Dan, that you are the only pleased Vmar customer.

Even bbhair says nothing positive except the price, and "Damning with faint praise" as he lists deficiency after deficiency.

If you will refer to the October 2002 issue of Model Airplane News, there is a glowing report on the Vmar Texan II. This review is more proof that magazine reviews, in most cases, should not be considered when purchasing an airplane. This airplane sells for $150.

The same issue of MAN also has a review of the OK Models "Dago Red" Mustang. I mention itas a comparison. It also is a puff piece, but in this case the plane deserves it. Price is $300.

Now, down to a comparison of the two. The Dago Red is twice the price of the Texan II, but if we were to price the planes on an equivalent scale of quality, the Vmar Texan II would sell for no more than $30.

If you have not sold your Vmar "Hot Rod," Dan, I will pay you that same $30 for it, just to see a Vmar that is a good plane. You pay the shipping, of course.

But if you take me up on the offer, I strongly suspect that I will find you, like Craig Trachten who did the MAN review, are WAY too easily pleased.

And if he feels so inclined, I will welcome any rebuttal from Craig Trachten, or from MAN.

Compare Vmar and my "TiggerKitty,"
. The 'Kitty's good, Vmar's just plain sh...y.

Bill.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:46 PM
OUTCAST

Default Vmar Cap 231ex

Easy Guy's, these plane do fill a gap as an entry level plane that you don't have to care if they crash. Yes there are planes out there that make them look like a joke, but for someone just learning to loop and roll they will get them through the learning process without a major investment. They don't fly very well and their construction leaves a bit to be desired {OK maybe thats understated}, but as a first step up from a trainer they fill the bill. The problem is that most of us here are experienced pilots that would never settle for this product, but I crashed more than a few to get to where I am, and its better to crash a $125 junker than a $275 and up 3-D bird. At least the owners are getting air time and for a beginner, burning fuel is better than watching. And yes I have owned V-mar and no I will never buy another.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:27 AM
mjraines1

Default RE: Vmar Cap 231ex

Any body know where you can get a OK Model Dago Red?
Old 01-26-2011, 02:46 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I've owned and flown a couple of VMar ARFs:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_90...tm.htm#9065603

My experiences weren't bad, and I may order from Richmond RC again in the future to try another VMar ARFs and/or VMax engine at some future point. I have to say that it is pretty interesting that I don't have either plane any more, after a single flying season.

The Ramrod ARF was very promising. It looked great, it flew very nicely, but I suffered an elevator problem with it (not attributable to the airframe) after a few flights. I was simply practicing stall turns when I suddenly couldn't pull the plane out of a dive, and it didn't level out until it was below the tree-tops and the wings exploded when they hit. It could have been a servo or linkage issue, but I specifically examined the elevator and the hinges were all still solid even after the crash.

The Apache III trainer ARF was more disappointing. The factory-installed aileron hinges started to tear out on the left wing. The Polycote ECS covering seemed to seperate in several places where the colored/printed layer pulled away from the clear top layer. Boy did it ever fly great, though.

The quality of the two planes seemed to be mixed, but both flew quite well. My overall impression of the hardware and wood selection wasn't bad, either.

I've ordered from Richmond RC a couple of times now, and I haven't had any complaints about them as a distributor. I'll do business with them again. As for VMar ARFs in particular, I'm glad I gave them a try. There was a lot to like about both of the ones I bought and flew. I'm still willing to buy more VMar ARFs if they fit a particular need for a future project. Recovering the Apache III would probably have fixed it for good, but I donated it at our club auction to raise money for charity.

The VMax engine line that Richmond RC carries is reportedly made by JBA, and they make terrific engines. I may do an airplane/engine/pitts muffler combo at some future point. VMar will give you the engine at a discount and then give you the pitts muffler free if you buy the engine and muffler with an ARF that comes with a cowl.

VMar makes a pretty cool-looking low-wing version of their Xtreme Stik that I'd still like to try. I wouldn't mind giving the Ramrod another shot, as well. That was really going to be a fun airplane.

I haven't seen a VMar airplane that was complete garbage, but most folks who have commented on VMar in the past have been pretty negative. If you'd rather be safe than sorry, there are certainly more reputable brands of airplanes to buy. If you don't mind spending $180 (including shipping and handling) on a couple of airplanes just to satisfy your own curiosity, you might end up finding a few things to like about VMar.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Mr. Canadian

I've own and flown a few VMAR's now. 2-discovery trainers and 1-harvard II/ Texan II. The new covering they have is a joke! I compare it t saran wrap. 2 years now since I've had the discovery and I can literally scratch the colour off of it and see through it! The hardware they send isn't up to any standards either. They do fly nice in my opinion but their is better out there for not that much more money.