Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Kadet Senior - Taildragger Conversion -Mains

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Kadet Senior - Taildragger Conversion -Mains

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 12:37 AM
garywi
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kadet Senior - Taildragger Conversion -Mains

HI,

Does anyone have a pic showing how they built up the inside of the fuse to bolt on the main gear?

G
Old 06-21-2007, 07:55 PM
sawdust
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kadet Senior - Taildragger Conversion -Mains

I can get you some pictures and instructions Sunday of this week or Monday of next week. I have been on vacation and do not have access to the needed pictures.

I did a conversion and was very pleased with the result.

bob
Old 06-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Weekendflyer

I converted mine to a tail dragger. All I did was add a 1/4" plate inside the bottom of the fuselage so it butts up against the forward bulk head, put a couple of pieces of triangle stock and you are in business.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:59 AM
rs670
My Feedback: (1)

Here's a picture of my Kadet Senior converted to taildragger with an inverted OS 70 4 stroke engine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81735.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	777879  
Old 10-07-2007, 06:06 AM
ranger351w

Good day

I turned my Senior into a tail dragger and it works great. Just took a piece of old .25 ply cut to fit in front of the bulkhead and glued with 5 min. epoxy. bolted a fiberglass gear I had on.
Much better than the tri gear as we fly off grass.

But thats just me
Mike
Old 10-07-2007, 11:01 AM
sneakywrist
My Feedback: (19)

Dont mean to highjack this thread but I really like the set up of your Senior. Is the 70 four stroke enough for your Senior? Would love to see mor pix including your engine set up, that's one clean bird
Old 10-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Weekendflyer

I taught my son to fly with a kadet tail drager and it was powered with a four stroke 40 its now 6 years old and still a ball to fly ,I have seen them powered with everything from a 46 to a surpass 91 thay are all fun.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:58 AM
rs670

Here are pictures of modifications I made to my Kadet Senior

Name:	Us55226.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	778517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62328.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	778518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io29066.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	778519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20702.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	778520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al70583.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	778521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq97904.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	778522  
Old 10-08-2007, 03:34 AM
ranger351w

Good day
I run a Magnum 91 4 stroke and it is great. Makes everything so easy to do and the senior acts like it was designed for it.

But thats just me

Mike

PS If you say much about an over powered plane some well meaning Bamby will rant about it and tell you how terrible and insecure you are[:'(]

Strike that last part
Old 12-08-2007, 06:44 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey RS670-- just a quick question. Did you change the thrust line to compensate for the inverted engine? BTW-- I had a World Models Frontier Senior years ago with a Saito 90 and it was a blast!
Old 12-08-2007, 09:35 PM
rs670

No, I didn't change anything there..... The crankshaft is "still" on the preset thrust line just as if the engine is mounted upright, 90 degrees left or 90 degrees right
Old 07-15-2008, 07:32 PM
scott hayden

I love your Kadet. I am getting ready to convert one. What make and size gear did you ise?

Thanks

Scott
Old 07-15-2008, 09:02 PM
mjg3

rs670 that is a nice looking plane!. how many flights aer on it? have you had any problems with it ? considering getting one this weekend. lets see some more pics!
Old 07-16-2008, 08:36 AM
rs670

In reply to both mjg3 and Scott Hayden..... First of all, thanks for the compliment. The plane is well over a year old and has hundreds of flights on it with never one accident or problem. It looks as good now as the day it was first flown.
The main gear was purhased from tntlandinggear.com and the wheelpants are from Sig's Rascal 40 ARF. The tail wheel system is Dubro #956 purchased from Tower Hobbies. I've also installed an on-board glow system allowing the engine to idle way, way down for super slow fly-bys and landings. It's as much fun to fly as my wild 3-D planes and much more relaxing. Inverted flight characteristics are incredible.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:23 AM
pinguin

WOW!!!!
yOU HAD A ASOME PLANE. I AM PRETTY NEW TO THESE BLOGS, JUST MY FIRST REPLY. I HAVE A KADET SENIOR, WANT TO CONVERT IT TO FIX WIN. SAW YOUR AND I DON T WANT TO OFFEND YOU BUT IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE SOME PIC OR INFO ON HOW YOU PROCEED NEAR THE LE ATTACH. YOUR WORK LOOK REAL GOOD. I AM TIRED OF THOSE RUBBER BAND. MY PLANE ARE WITH BARN STYLE AILERONS, STILL HAVE THE SAME DIHEDRAL FROME SIG. FLY GREAT LIKE THE "TIGER", RUNING WITH A 55 AX IT "ROAR". REALY FUN TO FLY.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:05 PM
rs670

I sold the plane when someone made me an offer I just couldn't turn down. The plane came with a bolt-on wing so no modifications were necessary in that area. I modified an "old-timer" to a bolt-on wing. I'm sure there are pictures on that thread. Go to http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8198283/tm.htm

Hope this helps.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:55 AM
pinguin

HI!
TANKS ALOT, SO NICE TO SEE PEPOLE LIKE YOU HELPING OTHER.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:36 PM
WI53072

Mr. Rs, Nice mods on the Kadet!

I have finally been able to obtain a SIG Kadet Senior Arf which was no easy feat to say the least. I want to mount a Saito .80 inverted on this ship so as to maintain the asthetics as best as possible. I understant that I will need to lower the fuel tank so that I am not siphoning fuel into the carb. I noticed further up the post you mention this modification where you lowered the tank about an inch and a half. How did you do this? Dremmel & flex shaft tool or?? Also you purchased a landing gear set after market, could you please provide me with the dimensions as I like the stance of your kadet, also were there any off the shelf gear sets that you know of that come reasonably close to your custom set? Also what diameter and make are the main wheels? I have an extra set of wheel pants sitting around which are .60-.90 size and I think I can modify them to work with this kit. Lastly, you mention an exhaust extension which looks real nice as you have been able to divert the exhaust away from the ship really effectively, are these extensions after market or only an OS option? Thanks for the very informative post on these really cool mods [8D]

Best Regards,

Paul
Old 07-24-2009, 09:04 AM
rs670

On the tank relocation...I did it with a dremel tool. Flex shaft would have made it easier but I didn't have one. It's a very worth while modification.

Engine mounts were relocated keeping the engine on exact same thrust line (precise calculations were necessary here)

I purchased the main gear from TNTLANDINGGEAR.COM
Just get on their website and tell them the plane you have. They will custom make the gear for you. I didn't even have to furnish dimensions.

The wheel pants are replacement pants for Sig's Rascal 40 ARF purchased from Sig. They're nice because they come painted in either red & white or blue & white

I bought smooth rubber wheels that fit the pants (maybe 1/8 or 1/4 inch bigger than original)

Tower Hobbies supplied the exhaust extension (part #LXCB00)

Tail wheel set up was Tower also (part #LXRWW7)

I used a Slimline fueler which works well (also from Tower)

Let me know if you need more info
Old 07-24-2009, 11:35 AM
WI53072

Thanks for the tip on the gear I just placed the order should have them on Tuesday! Did you mount them with nylon bolts into blind nuts or did you just use wood screws?

Paul
Old 07-24-2009, 01:56 PM
rs670

I'm not sure if it shows in the pictures but I glued 1/4 plywood plates inside the fuselage with 6-32 blind nuts. The main gear is located under the leading edge of the wing therefore, two plywood plates are used. One on each side of bulkhead.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:03 PM
WI53072

RS,

Still waiting on the gear from TnT hopefully they arrive soon, they are busy which is good. So far I have the engine mounted inverted and have lowered the fuel tank accordingly. I was wondering as to where you mounted your onboard glow driver? and what voltage and amperage your battery pack is for it? do you have any pics of this?

Best Regards

Paul
Old 07-29-2009, 09:13 PM
rs670

Here are a couple pictures of the on-board glow system. I used a 1.2 volt 3000 mAh Sanyo Sub C. It seemed to work well. I only had to charge it every other flying session. I had it set to come on once throttle was at 1/4 or less.

Name:	Db86493.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	1246133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31638.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	1246134  
Old 07-30-2009, 11:35 PM
WI53072

rs670,

I was wondering what you used to charge the 1.2v sanyo battery? and where you obtained it. I found a 1.2v 4000mAh battery at batteries plus but have been struggeling finding a battery charger for a 1.2v battery. This seems like a really small battery for the amount of starting and ideling that takes place, but I suppose there is little current draw after the initial start of the cold plug. I will have to be sure to be extra careful not to make any high resistance connections in this system. When you constructed the battery holder for the sanyo it appears you soldered the leads onto metal strips which are glued or siliconed to the battery cradle is that right? It looks like a really neat installation all together the velcro strap is a great idea. Also, did you do any re-inforcement on your wings. I have been reading horror stories on here regarding wing failures on severl sig arf's lately, including wing failures on the kadet. My landing gear arrives tommorow can't wait. Thanks for all the help/good ideas regarding my copycat kadet.

Best Regards

Paul
Old 08-01-2009, 06:03 PM
rs670

I used a Hobbico Accu-cycle Elite. It can be set to charge single cell batteries at various voltages. (Very easy to set and use)

I bought the battery with tabs installed and soldered connector wires just as you said. I don't recollect doing anything special to the wing. If I remember correctly, it had a two piece wing and used an aluminum brace. Transporting a one-piece wing wasn't a problem for me so I epoxied mine together permanently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.