Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Great Planes Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Great Planes Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 01:55 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Great Planes Revolver

The thing that I noticed, Phil, is that when you go from a 60 to bigger, the max rpms drop significantly although the horsepower increases. So, with a certain weight of a plane you have to find that happy medium between the two. That is why Jett engines are so good. when you go larger, the rpms don't drop as much so you have that big horsepower with alot of rpms in the larger engine sizes.
unfortunately, those Jett engines are VERY expensive.
Jeff
Old 04-07-2008, 02:12 PM
russm

well put jeff. i have a number of jett engines and love them. the jett 90lx i have on my toni would be fun in the revolver. with the 91fx- jett muffler setup i am geting around 12500 rpm on the bench. that is w/ a 12-8 apc prop and 15% synth fuel.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Chancho

Thanks Jeff,

Looking at the prices for the Jett engines, I can see the last point, too. I have a long way to go in this hobby and have a lot to learn. I'm just getting into the 4-strokes after a bad experience with a Supertigre .90. Reading what you guys are saying about the Jett engines and talking to the guys at the field who fly them, I have a lot of respect for them. They are really hot runners. I know Steve, the guy at the field with the Jett engines, is going to smoke me and everyone else when he maidens his new Jet .90 on a little dart he had in the back of his van this past Sunday. But he left it in the van and let me enjoy my time and told me I could have April 06 as my day. That's what this support is about. Just great guys sharing information and helping everyone along...

A happy medium is a good thing. We are all flying our happy mediums and sometimes what we once thought was our balancing point we have to readjust, only to sometimes discover that later we end up right where we started.

Peace out,

Phil
Old 04-08-2008, 05:48 PM
fx777

Regarding the firewall question; during 3 cartwheels in the grass, the firewall was fine, the rudder broke off (hinges pulled out) and the bottom tip of the rudder was crushed. The broken off tail wheel must be replaced, as will the elevator control rods. I am replacing the rods with a carbon fiber set-up from Central Hobbies. The cowl was damaged but salvagable and will be reused. The rudder, which is foam and balsa sheeted, was fixed by carefully straightening out the balsa sheeting, dampening the balsa and letting it expand to its original shape; after about 20 plus applications of water it is back to its origninal shape. I hardened the balsa using CA and will be recovering the tip with Mono-cote. Incidentally the "Jet white" Mono coat on the plane doesn't match the new role I purchased. So I will recover with Mono coat taken from the bottom of the fuselage. I will recover the bottom of the fuselage with the new Mono coat, since the color variation at this location isn't perceptible. Incidentally, I have had much better luck with matching repairs on other planes that have ultra-coat. My regards to all!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:35 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

The vert. stabilizer is foam with sheeting? How about the horizontal stabilizer? I knew this plane was tough, but that is just awesome to know! I wish that all ARFs were built this way. Cudos to GP on this particular plane. Yes, I think it will handle 150 plus mph now.
Jeff
Old 04-09-2008, 10:00 AM
bmitchell138

I got my Revolver from the men in brown yesterday. I will be running the OS 55ax with a Bisson Pitts muffler. Everything seems to be in good order for the build. The covering had a few wrinkles here and there but nothing major. The other thing I noticed was the cowl seemed to not fit the fuse properly. It wouldn't slide over the small lip on the front of the fuse. Has any one else had this problem? I can't wait to get this thing in the air!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:50 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Seems that everyone has that problem. You just have to gently work it on. A small hairdryer to heat it up (SLIGHTLY) helps too.
Jeff
Old 04-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Chancho

My cowl was tight, too. When I put it on the covering would scrape away from the edges of the fuselage. It would fit after I forced it and it was tight as heck. Actually, even when it was fit on, you could see the stress in the fiberglass through the small cracks in paint around the corners.. Reading what Jeff and other have said about the blow dryer or sanding - maybe I'd do it different next time. Or maybe I'd do it like I have it now.

I went to a buddies house and he showed me his Piper Cub and how he was able to cut a slit to fit the cowl over his muffler and make for an easy on/off.

I did the same thing, but also affixed 4 screws with left over control horn plastic backing. I put brass servo mount bushings to protect the fiber glass. Then I had some safety wire laying around from Jet mechanic days about 18 years ago. I wired the screws like stitches or a zipper. (not so pretty, but it works.) I haul butt in my revolver and the slit hasn't made a difference in speed or anything else. Plenty of people have brought over a microscope at the field and haven't noticed the cut in the cowl yet. The picture also shows the must have - Dubro gear.... It's not the prettiest or cleanest, but it works for me.

Best Regards,

Phil
Old 04-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Chancho

Forgot to post picture...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33779.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	926146  
Old 04-10-2008, 07:36 AM
bmitchell138

Thanks HunterandJeff and Chancho.

I'll break out the wife's hairdryer and see if I can soften it up. I read through this entire thread and the concensus seems to be ditch the stock landing gear for the Dubro gear. I got the wings finished last night and hope to have the tail section completed tonight.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:31 AM
bmitchell138

I got the Revolver assembled this weekend. Everything went together very well. I was checking the CG tonight and I noticed that it is nose heavy off the recommended 4 5/8 inch mark. I could get it to balance with one ounce of weight on the tail. I moved the battery back to the rudder/elevator servo tray and that caused it to be tail heavy. It took 1 1/2 ounces of wieght in the nose to get it to balance. Is an once of weight on the tail to much weight or should I keep experimenting with the location of the battery?
Old 04-15-2008, 07:44 AM
cmircman
My Feedback: (10)

I had to put my battery on the wing tube to get it to balance with out weight. I just wrapped my battery in foam and used zip ties to secure it.

Rich
Old 04-15-2008, 08:14 AM
bmitchell138

I''ll give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:31 PM
fx777

My cowl fit fine. However, my ailerons were warped and so were the replacements I received. The fix included twisting the aileron to were it was flush with the trailing edge and ironing the wrinkles. My plane flew nice with a 55 ax and slim line pitts muffler. Not a speed demon, but a great all around flyer. I first tried the 46 ax but the plane was so slow it was near unstable, except at full throttle.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:32 PM
fx777

Also achieved CG with 4.8 NM 2000 mah battery over wing tube.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:19 PM
bmitchell138

I got the revolver balanced and took it out for it's maiden flight. It took off great and only required a few clicks of trim on the aileron and elevator. I had the 55ax fattened up for breakin so I didn't try any manuevers. I just flew circuits at full and 3/4 throttle. I flew for about eight minutes and decided to bring it in. The dreaded first landing. I lined up on approach and floated in nicely. It touched down with a couple of hops. Man this plane flys great. I was nervous about the hot landings but I thought it came in at a manageable speed.

I was so excited about my successful maiden flight I forgot to fuel up, and after the adrenaline rush subsided, I took the revolver up for flight number two. I continued to fly circuits at around 3/4 throttle with a decent amount of altitude. About 6 minutes in I noticed the engine change rpms just slightly so I climbed a little higher and made another pass by and the engine stalled. I brought the revolver around and greased the deadstick landing. Wow!

Flights 3 and 4 went well and I remembered to fuel up before each flight I can't wait to get the engine broken in so I can experience the revolver's full potential!
Old 04-20-2008, 10:45 AM
cphoto

Hi, I am getting ready to start on my Revolver. I have a new O.S. 55AX that I am going to use. I would like your experiences/opinions between the factory box
muffler and the slimline pitts. Thanks...Tony
Old 04-20-2008, 11:05 AM
fx777

I am using the Slimline muffler with my 55AX and found the adjustment range from leaning out to rich was very narrow. Meaning, the point at which is would loose rpm's when leaned was less than a turn to the rich before it would start to sputter and flood on a rich setting. There may be an issue with the plumbing or debris in the line. I have not trouble shooted the issue since the crash. Landings as noted above are easy, but you must maintain a minimum level of speed, or it will tip stall. It won't just drop the nose!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:13 PM
bmitchell138

I've read that the slimline pitts doesn't create enough back pressure thus around 1/2 tank the engine leans and flames out. There are a few posts in this thread on the issue. The problem seems to be the exhaust tubes are larger (more volume) than the stock p-box. The fix is to crimp or plug one of the tubes creating ample pressure. I run the Bisson pitts muffler on my 55 ax and haven't experienced any lean conditions yet. If you use the factory muffler you will have to cut a bit more on the cowl and you will also need an extension to get it to fit.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:03 PM
russm

something no one mentioned in regards to the pitts style muffler is it keeps your plane a lot cleaner. i have that muffler type w/ a 75ax and have not experienced any problems with the needle or leaning out.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I'm joining the Revolver fun and recieved it yesterday and started putting it together today and all I can say is this is the most complete best fitting parts ARF I have ever seen. I have a 55AX to put on it from another plane and ordered a pitts for it from slimline and boy did they change it from the old on I have for a 46FX that supposedly does not work well on the 55AX. It has way more volume to it and hopefully will help the performance on the 55. Also got the Dubro landing gear and already put some ply epoxied to the bottom to spread the stress out a little better. Wings line up perfect on this one, I spent many hours reading this thread and thank you so much everyone for all the tips and mods to make this the best plane it can be. Can't wait to get this one in the air...Now I have to fix a Webra 61 to put on my bobcat that I stole the 55AX from. I posted a pic of the mufflers for you to see the differences.

Dauntae
Old 04-25-2008, 11:13 PM
cavandish

REGARDING LANDING THE REVOLVER

I am a bit of a novice after being in this hobby for 8-9 months & having a couple of hundred flights. I along with many other people on here have been having a fair bit of trouble getting a bounce free landing every time with the revolver, this week I have got it sorted and strongly suggest that anyone having similar problems landing, try programing their comp radio to operate their ailerons as flaps (flaperons) my aileron throws are set slightly higher than the suggested GP low rates. I have added 60% down flap to this for landing. Wow it slows this plane down ! it does not seem to affect aileron authority and elevator mix is not needed. I did try 75% but do not recommend this much, as aileron performance was affected. Try it, you will not be sorry, just be prepared to keep a little power on during finals. I have crashed my revolver after a dead stick, when I could not slow her down before I ran out of strip, if I could of flicked the flap switch once over the threshold, should would of pulled up.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats good to know, I have played with flaperons before but never really had a problem landing any of my planes but the revolver is a new breed for me so I'll set it up once I get it finished and in the air to try it out. Good tip [sm=thumbup.gif]

Dauntae
Old 04-26-2008, 01:17 AM
hotrod31

I just want to know if you guys are all using the recomended amount of elevator throw, it just seems very little to me. How does it fly with the recomended low rates? thanks
Old 04-26-2008, 02:01 AM
beaver180
My Feedback: (10)

Yo Hotrod 31, Hiya

I have found the Rev definately needs more than recommended on the Elevator throws... especially on landing. I have run out just on the landing flair and kangaroo'd ( that's one of my excuses ).

Have finished my cartwheel repairs and hope to fly tomorrow. I have installed the $1.98 1/4 scale Yak 54 tail wheel... what a bargain - forget the sullivan ones! I am hoping that as this tail wheel assy is longer it will lift the bum up and help reduce my bouncing kangaroo landings ( have managed a handful of greasers )

Chow for now, Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.