Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

KMP PITTS 12

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

KMP PITTS 12

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 08:23 AM
frankeldan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: KMP PITTS 12

The wingnuts are from Ace hardware store. I'm sure you can get them at Home Depot, etc. They are in the section with all the "help yourself to my screws dept" .. put them in a little baggie thing.

My daughter wanted to pose the new kitten in the Pitts. I wanted to put a scarf on it..

As for the Brison. I think these things are notorious for hard starting/sucking fuel into the pump. I'm going to replace the diaghams and see if it makes it better. I bought this motor on RCU and have been less than thrilled as to the running operation. I have it in a Giant- I -Can-Do -3d . It flew around for about 1/2 tank and then I had to land it dead stick. When running though, the power was insane for a 12lb bird.

I'll let you know how I make out with that one.

ASIF... WERE ARE YOU??

Later,

Dan

Old 10-27-2007, 10:55 AM
catman74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I´m just starting to work on my kmp pitts (fantasy style).

Very cool!!

My question to you:

Did anybody set the engine to the left and up to get out in the center of the cowl, if yes how many mm or inches?

Or did you go according the horizontal and vertical drawings on the firewall and set the engine right in the middle?

Greetings from vienna

Cat
Old 10-27-2007, 01:44 PM
propwashed
My Feedback: (13)

Welcome catman, I used the lines on the firewall for referance. It centered on the cowl nicely. The right thrust is built into the firewall. Not alot but there is some. I might be maidening mine today, I'll let you know how it handles with this setting.
Tripp
Old 10-28-2007, 12:35 AM
catman74

Hi Tripp,

thanks for reply.

That would be very nice, thanks

Good luck for your maiden today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greetins from Vienna

Cat
Old 10-28-2007, 08:31 AM
frankeldan

Welcome Cat ..

Tripp- Did you maiden the Pitts? We all all waiting with baiting breath to see how you made out.

I did some some work on my Pitts. Got the wings 100% done. Next onto the firewall to re- fiberglass. I picked u some automotive grade fiberglass resin. That should work much better than the epoxy. It flows much better. I decided not to thin out the nornal 15 minute epoxy and do this instead.

I also picked up the Hanger 9 edge 25% and got started on repairing the landing gear. That's how I bought it. It's 100% except for the gear. All servos installed , gas plumbed, etc. All I have to do is pop in the ZDZ40 and I'm all set.. sure.. easier said than done. It's a pretty bird, but now as well built as the Wild Hare 1/4 scale.

The brison startup is solved. I went to a local shop and picked up a walbro carb rebuilding kit. I replaced the pump and the other gasket thinggy. I put the carb back on and she fired right up. That Brison sounds like a weed whacker on steriods. Verrry verry powerful. I have to be careful with throttle control or I will rip the wings off the Giant- U -Can Do. It's not made for that engine.. but what the hey.

So-- looks like it's too windy to fly today in the north east. nw winds 10- 15 gusts to 30mph.. Ehh maybe I'll take a ride out to the field with a spad for some fun.

Later Gents,

Dan

PS.. lets see some pics of your progress Cat. Tripp- videos of the maiden!!! ASIF -- where the heck are you???
Old 10-29-2007, 12:17 AM
catman74

Hi Dan,

thanks for the welcome

I finished the upper wings. today i´m going with the lower wings and some reinforcement of the fuse.
(firewall, gearmount, tail).

I´m using a mvvs 2.15 cu inch with a tuned pipe.
The engine fitts perfectly, 152mm with long with the original mvvs backmount.

greetings from vienna

Cat
Old 10-29-2007, 01:01 AM
Chock!

Catman74,

Would it be possible to include some pictures of your engine setup? I am planning on going with the same engine (2.15 Evolution) Unfortunately, the engines are backordered here in the States, so it will be another couple of weeks before I get my hands on one.

TIA

Chock
Old 10-29-2007, 02:59 AM
Asif
My Feedback: (30)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Dan,
I am here, reading all the posts regularly. I didnt have time to complete my model so I have given my model to my LHS as they also provide building services too. The model is coming up just fine. Hopefully I will be able to perform break-in this week sometime. Will post picture soon.

Hey Tripp, did you fly your model yet?

Asif
Old 10-29-2007, 07:49 AM
braindr

I would like to put a radial engine in it like the Saito 300. Anyone have thoughts on it? I don't have the engine yet so any suggestions???
Old 10-29-2007, 09:08 AM
frankeldan

Asif- Glad to see you're still around.

Braindr- A Saito Radial would be awesome in one of these. Are you going for it?

Tripp- Your'e too quiet. I hope nothing happened on your maiden flight.

It was a dissapointing weekend here in the North East. Rain on saturday and Sunday was mucho windy.

But.... Of course I went out anyway. I flew my Twist and it was a hairy flight. I lost it in the sun at one point and had to wait for it to come out. The wind was gusting to 35 mph. So... I brought her down, no damage.. harriered her in.

The Pitts is coming along. The wings are fully repaired and covered and the front fuse by the engine has been re- fiberglassed. For those who just joined the thread, This model was the plane featured in Model Airplane News 2/07 issue. It was originally built by Gerry Yarrish and fell on some hard times when another flier (Hey Aaron) double thumbed it upon takeoff. It's being retrofitted with a Zenoah G-38, which is a good choice due to it being so tail heavy.

I'll post some more pics tonight.

Regards,

Dan
Old 10-29-2007, 12:02 PM
catman74

Hi Chock,

i´m actually far away from installing the engine. But i found a link for you from a slowenian modelers forum.
Unfortunately i do not understand a word of which they are talking about, but there are many pictures included and they are using the
mvvs 2.15 engine too.

So this might help:

http://forum.modelarji.com/viewtopic.php?t=12672

Greetings from Vienna

Cat
Old 10-29-2007, 12:11 PM
catman74

AH yes i forgot!

My engine is now running after laying around for approx. 6 or 7 month.

I completed the lower wings and reinforced the gear mounting block and the firewall.

On the section where to mount the rudder (i don´t know the exact stepnumber because i´m not in my workshop) the manual is talking about to epoxy some ply in the midline.
Which ply do they mean?
All formers, plyplates and the mounting for the rudderhinges are preinstalled and already epoxied, please help!

Greetings

cat
Old 11-01-2007, 11:21 AM
catman74

Dan,

i´m now in the process of engineinstallation, hopefully this weekend.
From your pics i saw that you had the engine installed right in the center according the drawing.

Did came out in the middle of the cowling (because of right thrust and down thrust)?

Did you have any bad experience with the engine centered (model not going straight)?

I´m just thinking about to set the engine 5mm to the left and 5mm up for a nice centered prophub.

Greetings from vienna

Cat
Old 11-01-2007, 11:48 AM
frankeldan

Hmm.. What engine are you installing? Here is the pics of the Saito 180 installed. I beleive the previous owner had no problems with the engine mounted as such.

I'm putting a Zenoah G-38 in mine.

Regards,

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81085.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	794760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62853.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	794761  
Old 11-01-2007, 11:56 AM
catman74

Dan,

i´m using a mvvs 2.15 gas engine with the original mvvs backplatemount.

So i´ve enough space to go left and up.

I try to use a tuned pipe, but this depends on the c.g.

I´ll put all equipment forward as far as possible.

If it´s still tailheavy i´ll use the standard muffler.

greetings from vienna

cat
Old 11-01-2007, 05:14 PM
propwashed

Guys, I have Bad news.... Sunday afternoon I fired up the engine. Started right up, allowed it to warm up, conducted a good distance range check and proceeded to the side of my house for initial take off. Had my son with me and I centered up the plane and initiated a smooth throttle increase the plane lifted off nicely and began climb out. I imidiately noticed it a bit nose heavy so I made a few clicks of backpressure to compensate. Made a left turn and was heading on a down wind line towards me to get a look at this baby. Made a right turn and pull back to gain altitude. Suddenly wam-wam as if I was hit by a stray signal. The plane did a violent jerk/roll side to side. I tried to continue on and up line to gain more altitude to see if I could settle the problem and it repeated the violent uncontrolable jerk. I had plenty of power and airspeed. I reduce power to see if I could get it to glide in and the interfearance continued. I had to watch this thing plummit into the ground about 200 ft out from my position. I was able to slow the descent a bit before impact and amazingly as it appearded the plane was completely intact lying upsidedown on the top wing. While we walked to the crash site, it was aparent that the entire nose section had seperated uponimpact and the top wing suffered a bit of damage. the entire airframe and tail section is completely un-scaffed.

I was pissed to say the least but gathered my plane with my son walked back to the shop. Disconnected the throttle linkage, and fuel lines. set the front section with undamaged motor. on the bench, put the plane on the rack and proceeded to go work on my FW 190.

I have not looked inside, conducted any investigation, or even tried to find out what happened yet. It pissed me off!!!

So, I will at some time find out what caused the problem. But not yet ready to dig into it.

I will say this...For the 10 seconds of flight I felt it was going to be one Bad-***** plane. Lift off was sweet with no bad ground habbits.

I will post pics of the damage soon.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:40 PM
frankeldan

Tripp,

Sorry to hear about the Pitts. Like someone once told me, these planes come with death sentences attached. I crashed by beloved WildHare Edge a few weeks back . I know the feeling all too well lately. I fixed my nose on my Pitts using the automotive grade resin. Works great. Tell us what you find when you're ready to examine. It is a shame. I hope the CF spinner is still intact. That looked awesome.

Keep in touch,

Dan
Old 11-02-2007, 01:53 AM
catman74

Tripp,

i´m also very sorry to hear about that.

Maybe the wooden firewall broke right there where it´s meetig the composite section
and became loose, caused the model to be uncontrollable.
On my model i had the impression, that it was not clued good enough into place.
So i reinforced that section.
After installation of the motormounting wingnuts i will reinforce the whole section again with CfK.

So if you find out what happens, please keep us informed

Regards from vienna

Cat
Old 11-02-2007, 02:29 AM
propwashed

I still havn't examined the interior but just a few things... First, I flew with cowl off for the maiden as well as the cf spinner. Just in case it had any bad ground habbitsand did a nose over or something. So those parts are still perfect. As for the break. All the fiberglass broke 360 deg at the widest point of transition to the fuse. I have a cone of fiberglass with a motor hanging on it. Like a giant radial mount. The impact of the inverted landing caused enough force to shear the entire cone off the fuse. fairly clean with a few tears. Luckily I was flying over the farmers field behind me and it had been freshly mowed so there was a bit of cushion. It's unbelievable how little damage is to the rest of the airframe. The tail doesn't even have a scratch. Crazy... I'll post photos when I get some shots.
Tripp

Oh, and BTW As I mentioned Mine ended up a bit nose heavy. My bats were place in the well near the cg. With this being said...I believe I could have got away with elev servos in the tail. Might change to that after the repair...
Old 11-02-2007, 11:13 AM
catman74

Hi there,

back from the workshop.

Today i mounted the engine, did the canopy and reinforced the fiberglasscone from inside with CfK.
I guess it will hold up now.

So i´m afraid this thing will go a bit heavy. My goal is 15,5 pounds. I hope ican hold it with all the reinforcement.

See you

cat
Old 11-03-2007, 10:59 PM
frankeldan

Some progress on my Pitts today

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22785.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	796417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18443.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	796418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16273.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	796419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le92722.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	796420  
Old 11-04-2007, 05:04 PM
propwashed

see your go'n with the G-38... Ought to pull it nice
Old 11-04-2007, 05:44 PM
frankeldan

Thanks, Can't wait to finish this one up. Just have a few more linkages and radio to put in. Maybe I'll maiden it next weekend.

I crashed the PT-19 today. I cartwheeled it on takeoff. The fuse broke apart in 3 pieces. Very windy and not enough ground speed. It's fixable, winter project.

I got my Giant -I-Cant -do-3d up today with the brison in it. It was a good flight but came in dead stick. After trying to re-gas it up someone told me I was leaking fuel from the fuse. I had about a quart in there. The stopper came loose.. ahh what fun..

Any update on the

Pitts?

Later,

Dan
Old 11-04-2007, 11:02 PM
frankeldan

Guys,

I'm about to mount the fuel tank , a Dubro 24oz , any ideas,pics of how you mounted ?

Thanks,

Dan

Old 11-06-2007, 08:41 PM
propwashed

Dan, Go back a couple pages and look at my pics. I opted to mount the tank in the middle of the servo bays, leaving room for the throttle servo on the right. I made a mount to hold the tank and use rudber bands to hook to the mount. This puts the tank closer to the cg so when fuel burns off the balance stay closer to the same. Also....240z is plenty might consider 16oz if space is a prob. you will fly for 20to 30 min with a 24 may be too much IMO. good luck and make sure there are no interferance or clitches at full throttle from a good distance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.