Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 Tango

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hanger 9 Tango

Old 09-28-2007, 03:46 PM
goplaneman
My Feedback: (175)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 Tango

Anyone have the Tango up in the air Yet, I pick mine up tomorrow.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:14 PM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Hanger 9 Tango

Will have two at the field on Sunday. One with a .46FX and another with a .55AX. Both belong to friends of mine. The first one was assembled completely to the point of engine installation and radio and servo installation in around 30 minutes. That includes pushrods. Almost everything was done by H9. He said the covering job was almost perfect and a good contrast for easy visibility. I look forward to "borrowing" one for a little while on Sunday! The .46FX will have an APC 12.25x3.75 on it and the .55AX will have an APC 13x4 wide blade.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:29 PM
tclaridge

I got mine today. Looks like an easy build. I did have to reset a blind nut for the landing gear, but so far, it is a beauty!

I will be doing the electric version.

GoPlaneMan is that an H9 Camel? I had first flight yesterday, and it was AWESOME. I will be using the same type of engine in the Tango, Power BL 46.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:08 AM
tclaridge

I have some building tips for the tail assembly.

I had to take the vertical and horizontal back off to install the servos, so I recommend installing the servos in the tail FIRST, then install the horizontal and vertical. Makes for drilling and screwing much easier as you need to access this area without the horizontal in the way. It was also easier to feed the cables up the tail without the horizontal on.

Also, when installing the electric motor, I had to clear drill the holes in the Power 46 X-mount for the #6 screws included in the Tango to mount the motor.

I hope these help. But so far the ARF is very well put together. All glue joints are strong, and hinges are perfectly installed. I can't wait to fly it!
Old 09-29-2007, 08:36 AM
RU4JESUS2 FALCONGTS

HOW DO THEY FLY ?

I WANT TO MAKE ANOTHER NIGHT FLYER SOMETHING BETWEEN THE NEXTSTAR AND THE F22 NOT SURE YET

THANKS FALCON
Old 09-29-2007, 06:46 PM
tclaridge

Another build tip on servos:

I tried to use DS821 servos, but they are a little too tall to install in the tail. So I used standard servos in the tail, and 821s in the wing. Worked great. I also did not install the rubber inserts and eyelets UNTIL I marked the holes for drilling. The manual says to put these in first, but then you can't get a felt tip marker throught the holes!

Just for looks, I painted the wood in the engine area gloss white to match. No other issues so far, these are just small nits I hope others find useful.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:58 PM
goplaneman

Thanks for the input and building tips. Can't wait to get a Flight report. Received mine today, putting a os .46 fx in it.

Yes, I had the camel, flew great but had to sell it due to I am color blind and couldent see it very well.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:23 AM
tclaridge

GPM,
Well I really like the color scheme on the Tango. The bottom orange should be great for visibility. Seems like a lot of contrast between top and bottom. I like that.

Here's another small tip for the electric mount (may be useful for glow). The manual says to just use locktite on the engine mount screws. I am sure this is fine, but I bought some #6 lock washers and flat washers ($1.50) and added them along with the locktite. I like to do that on motor mounts. And yes, I wear belt and suspenders.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:41 AM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

Both of the Tangos showed up at the field this morning and both flew well. Little tip...Has a ton of rudder authority so don't just nail the throttle and take off...it will bite you! Add throttle smoothly and use rudder sparingly! It's kinda like a Cub on steroids on take-off. Not much difference between the .55AX and the .46FX as far as power goes. Both ended up using the 12.25x3.75APC prop. The .55 started out with a 13x4APC and went down to the smaller blade. They will maintain altitude in an upright flat-spin and the spin is tight. Knife edges well. Both engines had plenty of power for anything you want. Snap rolls are extremely quick.
Does some crazy stuff just using full rudder only in a climb. Plane has alot of potential but will take some time to figure out everything it will do.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:16 PM
goplaneman

Sounds great, Can't wait to get mine up in the air.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:10 PM
NorfolkSouthern

I saw a Tango at the local hobby shop. I was pleasantly surprised to see the nice touches, such as the pre-plumbed fuel tank and pre-trimmed windshield. It is a very different looking plane, with its short fuse, large control surfaces, and close coupling (the elevator/rudder and main wing are very close). I am sure it could be easily mistaken for a Lazy-Bee if the corners on the top wing were rounded with the airframe painted in a similar color scheme, but the Tango is more attractive. The thick airfoil and large control surfaces give a certain conformity and purpose to the Tango's appearance. The color scheme looks bold, yet conservative, like it was designed to perform a specific task (orientation when the plane is spinning like a fishing lure in flight, for example). The colors contrast nicely and go well together. I am sure it will do just about anything that's tossed its direction. An RCU review would be an interesting read.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 10-01-2007, 11:06 PM
goplaneman

Got my Tango together today, with a .46 OS, If the weather is nice, will fly it in the morning
Old 10-02-2007, 12:38 PM
goplaneman

Maiden my Tango today, 10-15 mph winds. This is not the best plane for wind, Just too lite, great for 3d. Watch your CG if you are a sport type flyer, Mine is set at 4 3/4" back, Im going to move it up to 4", ( im not a 3D type flyer). I only flew it on low rates and WOW!!!, this thing realy rolls and Loops. I dident get to Knife edge due to the wind.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:01 PM
baronpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Let's see some real 3D flying with this piece of crap from H9. I don't think it can hover, do a rolling harrier, KE loop, loop within it's length, or fly upside down for that matter.

Just buy a Mojo and forget about wasting your hard earned money on this H9 crapfest.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:42 PM
goplaneman

Have you flowen the Tango, or are you just taking out your ***? Look, this is a form about the Hanger 9 Tango, Not about your favorite 3D plane. Thank you for your input, but please find the proper place to put it.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:36 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Comparing planes on the RealFlight Sim, the Twist and Tribute PNP models were slightly more challenging in flight than the Mojo, especially when doing any 3D maneuver. What generates the most respect at the flying fields in my area, however, is how well a pilot can handle the more difficult planes to fly. Many will call us circle flyers, but there is nothing quite like the satisfaction gained after a greased landing on a scale model with a high wing-loading in a moderate crosswind, smack in the middle of the runway. You know, like the stuff movies are made out of. Full flaps, and all that good gobbledygook. We're talking about something with narrow stall/fly threshold where throttle and control surface management has to be almost perfect. Sure, you can point a Mojo the proper direction, and weathervane hover it in, no prob and it'll land on a heli-pad. But try that on a P-40 with a .91 four-stroke. Go ahead, just DO it. Be sure to pick up a good supply of epoxy, covering, microballoons, and balsa beforehand, though. Bring a large plastic bag too.

Anyway. I checked out the Tango at my LHS again today. I plan to get a JR SX600 radio with standard servos that are good for 47 ounces of pressure, and the Tango specifies 45. Goplaneman: Do you feel this model can get by with a .40 LA, or would I need something bigger, like a .55 AX?

NorfolkSouthern
Old 10-03-2007, 02:51 AM
snacker

ORIGINAL: baronpilot

Let's see some real 3D flying with this piece of crap from H9. I don't think it can hover, do a rolling harrier, KE loop, loop within it's length, or fly upside down for that matter.

Just buy a Mojo and forget about wasting your hard earned money on this H9 crapfest.

Every time I go to read about the tango baronpilot says "mojo, mojo" (see every tango thread). C'mon already baronpilot.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:04 AM
goplaneman

I have a .46 fx on mine, and it has vertical, the problem I see with the LA .40, You are going to have to add weight to the front. Will it fly the plane? Sure it will.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:27 PM
baronpilot

Fine. I'll take my Mojo and go home. But please buy a Mojo, or some thing from Kalteisen dot com, or get a razor yak, or Stralis, some thing from extreme flight, morris hobbies, anything but H9. Don't believe the hype!

You are right, there is nothing more gratifying than landing someone else's B-25 ziroli on a maiden, in a crosswind, up wind wheel touching first, wing down, opposite rudder, with an engine out. It does separate the men from the boys. That's why I flew scale. The adrenaline just never was spiking.

Buy a Mojo.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:22 PM
tclaridge

BaronPilot,
Dude, please stick to the facts, and stay relavent to the thread. Maybe you should start a Mojo thread?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:04 AM
planepounder

Baronpilot, whats the deal man? I mean why all this slamming of others planes? I think we can all agree a MoJo is a great 3D/fun flier and that 3D takes a great amount of skill. We all fly for different reasons with different planes. I have an OMP 65" Yak I really love ( its nearly worn out !) but I dont limit myself to this type of flying. I just bought and finished a Tango, but havent flown it yet because of weather. Your comments were not appreciated! Take your MoJo to a pattern event or a Q 500 race and see how well you do! Your MoJo would be a laughing matter! I had beening thinking of joining the probros, but man if they are all as narrow minded as you, why bother! Buy yourself a pattern plane and really develop your talent, flying precision rather than random acts of aerobatics! Best wishes to you and your MoJo man!
Old 10-04-2007, 11:46 AM
-pkh-

Ignore him, he's just a troll, he's only got 22 posts (as of this writing) and more than half of those are just bashing the Tango and H9 in general.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:10 PM
tclaridge

For folks doing electric, I had to move my 4S 5000mah way forward to 2" off the firewall. AUW is 5.3 lbs, so a bigger battery (6000mah?) wouldn't hurt. My cg is at 4.75" from LE 'cause I like it at 30% MAC.

I may get it up this week end! I will post my battery mount when done. That is the only real mod I have had to do. If you use a smaller battery, you will need a few onces of lead up front.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:12 PM
tclaridge

RU4J,
Here is a night flyer for you!!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6438707
Old 10-05-2007, 02:57 PM
RU4JESUS2 FALCONGTS

YEA I SEEN THE VIDEO ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NICE JOB WELL DONE !!!! RU4J

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.