Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Servo types

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Servo types

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:48 AM
bencav84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo types

Hi,

Just ggt hold of a .15 size cessna bird dog ARTF. Hit a snag in that the standard servos are waaaayyyy too big to fit in, so have got some 2.0kg stall torque micro servos, trouble is these are too small so will have to build an adapter to fit. Is this a reasonable servo rating to go in this model? Have a look here at the actual bird:
http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml...tId=0000002722

I have seen a slightly bigger (and a lot mopre expensive) servo available, however, they have the axact same ratings for everything as these smaller ones. This isnt going to be an aerobatic plane by any means and at only 45inch wing span, and weighing next to nothing, I think they should be ok??

Thanks for your help!!

Ben
Old 10-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Servo types

2.0 kg for a micro is good. The HS-55 only puts out 1.1 kg. I would build an adapter tray from lite ply and glue it over where the servo's are suppose to go then put in the micros.

Happy flying.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:34 PM
bencav84

yeah, these little fellows have a somewhat large following in the R/C mags in the uk, and the supplier is based about 2 miles form me so I dont even have to pay shipping on the already give away price!!

Cheers for your help, that was what I was hoping to hear!!

Ben
Old 10-19-2008, 06:11 PM
opjose

Most planes of that size use Mini servos.

That may be why you are having problems... the opening may be cut for mini servos...

Thus the opening is too large for Micros and too small for Standard servos.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:33 AM
bencav84

opjose, I do believe you are right, the trouble is, the mini servos available here are lower rated than the micros I have (or at best the same) but cost twice as much. It appears they ar just the smae gears/motor with a bigger case. I am going with Salty25's idea and am making a lite ply adapter plate. This is the first plane I have had with non standard servo requirements - I live and learn!!!

Cheers!

Ben