Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Tower hobbies can't come up with engines Evolution can.

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Tower hobbies can't come up with engines Evolution can.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Whirley Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tower hobbies can't come up with engines Evolution can.

Yes we do have this engine in stock. Here is the part numbr and
price. Hope it helps and have a great day.

EVOE0611 - Evolution .61NX Glow with Muffler - $129.99
Fed Ex Ground shipping - $7.99
Total to NJ = $137.98

Thank You,
Dennis Davenport
Horizon Hobby Consumer Sales
800-338-4639 http://www.evolutionengines.com/Prod...rodID=EVOE0611

Looks like a nice item for just a bit more and has a ball bearing crank
Vegas/
Old 10-21-2008, 04:09 PM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tower hobbies can't come up with engines Evolution can.

There are lots of .61 engines (Evolution, OS, Magnum, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, etc) available and in stock at multiple vendors, but, most of the people clamoring for a Tower Hobbies engine don't want a .61; they want a .75 because it weighs the same and makes more power.

I guess the OS 75AX is the only .75 currently in stock, and some people are not willing to pay the price of OS.

By the way, all of the Tower engines have ball bearings on the crankshaft.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:19 PM
opjose

An my GMS .76'r's are stronger still... ( GMS SuperTigre & T.H. engines are all made in the same plant... ).

The GMS .76 seems to be considerably stronger than my T.H. .75 engines, while the T.H. .46 is stronger than the GMS .47, go figure...

Can't knock the O.S.'s though... they ARE excellent.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:34 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Tower Hobbies has the Magnum XLS .61A in stock, which is made in the same Sanye factory that produces the Evolution .61 NT for Horizon Hobby. The Magnum is only $99.99 before additional discounts from Tower Hobbies, or you can order it from www.hobbypeople.net with free shipping.

Tower also has the Thunder Tiger Pro .61 2-stroke in stock for $129.99 before additional discounts. I'd buy the Thunder Tiger instead of the Evolution.

There's nothing particularly "wrong" with the Evolution .61 NT, it just seems to me that you can buy better engines for the same price or buy other brands that are just as good for less than the price of the Evolution.

In any event, good luck and good shopping!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:37 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Not sure why the OP likes to rip on Tower. Some of the manufacturers in China are not putting out the engines we want to buy here in the States, like GMS, TH (which is GMS), etc.

Tower has the Magnum .61 for $99 in stock, the Super Tigre G61 for $99 in stock, the Thunder Tiger .61 (have you read the reviews on this engine? they are a fantastic manufacturer) for $129 in stock, and the OS 61 for $179 in stock. If you spend $149, you get $20 off your order, so the Thunder Tiger (which is disputedly the second best engine in this list) and $20 worth of fuel for $129 plus $10 shipping to you door.

Personally you could not pay me to put an Evolution 2 stroke engine on any one of my planes - no way, no how.

So what's wrong with Tower?

Based on the 'order' you have posted in the first post, you can have the Thunder Tiger for $2 more, still delivered to your house in NJ. Read the user reviews and do some searches comparing the Evolution to Thunder Tiger.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:05 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Personally you could not pay me to put an Evolution 2 stroke engine on any one of my planes - no way, no how.
Left a bad taste eh?

Old 10-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Whirley Bird

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Tower Hobbies has the Magnum XLS .61A in stock, which is made in the same Sanye factory that produces the Evolution .61 NT for Horizon Hobby. The Magnum is only $99.99 before additional discounts from Tower Hobbies, or you can order it from www.hobbypeople.net with free shipping.

Tower also has the Thunder Tiger Pro .61 2-stroke in stock for $129.99 before additional discounts. I'd buy the Thunder Tiger instead of the Evolution.

There's nothing particularly "wrong" with the Evolution .61 NT, it just seems to me that you can buy better engines for the same price or buy other brands that are just as good for less than the price of the Evolution.

I clicked on the banner here on the site
As for tower it seems every time I order something parts are misssing,they never send me a tracking number and when I drop $300.00 + on parts and other items they never ask UPS to request a signature so the box is just left at the door.
I need the little tiny fuel probe that was missing and they sent that tiny fitting out via UPS.
I spent a lot at TH and now their bugging me to pay them some money so I get free shipping.
Right now my choice is UPS 7-10 days or 2 day express that cost an arm and a leg.
So I ordered that big trainer and i'm finished with TH.
Now watch 75 + members make a post saying how great TH is
Vegas/
Old 10-21-2008, 06:10 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Of the engines mentioned, the Thunder Tiger 61 is the oldest design. As amazing as the TT46 is, the TT61 is Oh Hum

For some reason it seems the Tower 75 ABC is much more popular in the USA than the GMS 76 ringed or Super Tiger 75 ringed.

If Tower doesn't get any Tower, GMS, or Super Tiger engines in soon, this is likely to change and a new brand other than these will reign more popular.

About 3 or 4 years years ago the GMS 76 was redone to eliminate the Dykes ring. It now has a conventional ring.

The Magnum XLS 61 is a fairly recent design with a decent reputation.

The Evolution 61 NX is a new engine with a new combustion chamber and more power than the older Evolution 61 NT. Most people do away with the needle valve limiters.

If you are going by what is flying at your field, that may not be the way it is everywhere. There are several flying fields within 20 miles of my house and back 7 or 8 years ago there seemed to be more Super Tigers than anything else being used. No OS engines at any of them. I had to relocate 800 miles away and at that one field in the new location it was almost all OS engines and no Super Tigers. Since then four strokes are more prolific with Saito being more prominent at the field I fly at.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I get an email confirmation with tracking number on every order I place with Tower Hobbies, and the order always comes days before the 7-10 they claim it will take - usually 3 business days.

Shipping is not cheap, so I understand why they don't want to give it away. $10 for any size order is pretty amazing. Once they sent me the wrong thing after I paid for second day shipping and I had to really ask a few times to have the new item shipped over night at no charge to me.

If I were the OP I'd call them and tell them everything that's been posted here. They are not the biggest online RC seller for no reason - they seem to make everything right in the end.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:14 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't think for a second that any major online retailer of hobby products doesn't know exactly what is being said here.

I've been with Tower Hobbies since the beginning in the early seventies. But I'm not the loyalty bound type of customer. While I do buy from other online retailers, Tower Hobbies still gets the majority of my business for one reason only - they are quite often the least expensive and their customer service is right up there at the top with several others. When they cease this type of behavior, my ordering habits will change abruptly, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-21-2008, 08:10 PM
IAMKAOS

no..i would not say th hobbies is great. i quit buying from them over simular situation. sometime ago i bought a arf from them that was defective. worst arf i ever bought. it was crap and the workmanship on it was terrible. i called them and told them and they ask me to return for inspection. but they would not pay for return shipping?, it cost me $17.50 to return it. a few days later they e-mailed me confirming it was defective merchandise. they offered to replace it or give me credit which i denied both. i ask for a refund credit on my credit card and my return shipping charges. they refused to pay for my $17.50 return shipping even though they admitted is was defective. i had bought from them since 1983. this happened 18 months ago. i have never bought from them since.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:05 PM
carrellh

The first 'Tower' post I remember from Whirley Bird was how bad the 'Tower Hobby Phone sales people' are. He placed an order for TX and RX batteries by phone, with no stock numbers available, and they sold him the first thing that came up in the call rep's search. He later realized he could have gotten the items cheaper if he had looked up the stock numbers.

He mentioned in this thread '7 to 10 day' shipping, no tracking numbers, etc. Every online order I've placed with Tower has estimated a 7 to 10 day arrival; but, they have shipped the next business day and my stuff usually arrives 2 business days later via ground shipping. I have always gotten a shipment confirmation with tracking number. I have no idea what they do with phone orders though.

In the 'phone sales people' thread he mentioned placing the order on 10/10 and receiving it 10/16. That's about as good as it can get for ground shipping. 10/10 was a Friday. It would have shipped Monday 10/13, and it arrived Thursday 10/16.

The one time something was missing from a Tower order, one phone call had it in the mail to me. No overnight delivery or anything, just regular mail, which was fine.

The one damaged ARF I received was resolved by one phone call. They shipped a new one and charged it to my credit card. They included a prepaid return label. I put the damaged plane in the shipping box, slapped on the label, and returned it for credit.

My 'Tower' experiences have all been good, but, that does not mean others have the same experiences.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:39 PM
tundraman

Seems like a disgruntle person to me. I have had nothing but outstanding service from Tower Hobbies for over 18 years. They always send me tracking numbers and if I have any issues they are always happy to pay for return shipping and correct the error. I am a loyal Tower Hobbies customer and most likely always will be. If your looking for a good .61 2-stroke, go no farther than the O.S. 61FX. It doesn't get any better than O.S. Me personally, I would prefer a .75 size engine over a .61 anyways.

Thank you Tower Hobbies for years of awesome service and support!!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:56 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

If a person doesn't want to deal with Tower, they shouldn't. Other than TH branded items, you can get everything else from other sources. Instead of complaining about the place you don't like, why not ask for recommendations on other places to buy? Or if the issue is wanting a good .60-size engine, why not ask for recommendations on that?

Those certainly seem to be more constructive options than spamming what is essentially the same message across the different forums. What does a certain engine being in stock at a certain shop have to do with ARFs?
Old 10-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Whirley Bird

ORIGINAL: MikeL

Those certainly seem to be more constructive options than spamming what is essentially the same message across the different forums. What does a certain engine being in stock at a certain shop have to do with ARFs?
YOU HAVE A SPECIAL FORUM FOR THAT TOPIC?
Old 10-21-2008, 11:15 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Well, Glow Engines would seem like a rather topical choice if glow engines are really what you're interested in, eh? The Clubhouse is a good place to complain about various aspects of the hobby or ask about online retailers.

DOES THAT HELP?
Old 10-21-2008, 11:25 PM
Whirley Bird

ORIGINAL: IAMKAOS

no..i would not say th hobbies is great. i quit buying from them over simular situation. sometime ago i bought a arf from them that was defective. worst arf i ever bought. it was crap and the workmanship on it was terrible. i called them and told them and they ask me to return for inspection. but they would not pay for return shipping?, it cost me $17.50 to return it. a few days later they e-mailed me confirming it was defective merchandise. they offered to replace it or give me credit which i denied both. i ask for a refund credit on my credit card and my return shipping charges. they refused to pay for my $17.50 return shipping even though they admitted is was defective. i had bought from them since 1983. this happened 18 months ago. i have never bought from them since.
thank you!!!
Some think TH is the best RC store to buy from.
I went from fixed wings to Helis for a while and all 6 Helis didn't come from TH.
I just went back to fixed wings again and started buying from TH because local shops here don't have much of a selection but TH hasn't changed.
My 1st trainer was damaged bad and they wanted me to send it back and pay shipping.
I refused and made the repair myself
I can do without them.
Vegas/
Old 10-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Whirley Bird

ORIGINAL: carrellh

The first 'Tower' post I remember from Whirley Bird was how bad the 'Tower Hobby Phone sales people' are. He placed an order for TX and RX batteries by phone, with no stock numbers available, and they sold him the first thing that came up in the call rep's search. He later realized he could have gotten the items cheaper if he had looked up the stock numbers.

He mentioned in this thread '7 to 10 day' shipping, no tracking numbers, etc. Every online order I've placed with Tower has estimated a 7 to 10 day arrival; but, they have shipped the next business day and my stuff usually arrives 2 business days later via ground shipping. I have always gotten a shipment confirmation with tracking number. I have no idea what they do with phone orders though.

My 'Tower' experiences have all been good, but, that does not mean others have the same experiences.
Sorry but I don't care for sales people to lie to me via the phone.
I placed an order via the web and that item was not in stock but the site said it was.
Vegas/
Old 10-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Whirley Bird

ORIGINAL: carrellh

In the 'phone sales people' thread he mentioned placing the order on 10/10 and receiving it 10/16. That's about as good as it can get for ground shipping. 10/10 was a Friday. It would have shipped Monday 10/13, and it arrived Thursday 10/16.

The one time something was missing from a Tower order, one phone call had it in the mail to me. No overnight delivery or anything, just regular mail, which was fine.

The one damaged ARF I received was resolved by one phone call. They shipped a new one and charged it to my credit card. They included a prepaid return label. I put the damaged plane in the shipping box, slapped on the label, and returned it for credit.

No,
Your wrong on the above.
I had no catalog and they told me thay were the cheapest batteries they had.
I later retrived a catalog and saw all the different packs at lower prices.
As far as the UPS goes UR correct.
That is the norma lprocedure.
TH send you a sticker and UPS just picks up the box to be returned.
Vegas/
Old 10-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Whirley Bird

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

I read up on the Evolution and it seem like a good engine.
I know they made many changes to it so i'll see how it goes.
The Company carries any spare parts fot it if I ever need them but for the price I would just go for another engine and perhaps a diferent brand.
Vegas/
Old 10-21-2008, 11:49 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this really a discussion topic? The moderator should remove this thread. Poor taste on Horizon Hobbies part.

Kurt
Old 10-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Whirley Bird

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Based on the 'order' you have posted in the first post, you can have the Thunder Tiger for $2 more, still delivered to your house in NJ. Read the user reviews and do some searches comparing the Evolution to Thunder Tiger.
I did read the reviews on the EV engine so I decided to buy it.
Any engine that can crank 13,000 to 17,000 and stick together has to be good.
The EV is not memtioned to much and i'd like to toy around with that and see just what was put into it to up the compression.
Vegas/
Old 10-21-2008, 11:54 PM
tundraman

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

Is this really a discussion topic? The moderator should remove this thread. Poor taste on Horizon Hobbies part.

Kurt

Best post here so far!! Great idea.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Whirley Bird

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

Kurt
The MOD hasn't said nothing yet but more engine names are coming up.
Vegas/
Old 10-22-2008, 12:05 AM
Whirley Bird

ORIGINAL: tundraman

Seems like a disgruntle person to me. I have had nothing but outstanding service from Tower Hobbies for over 18 years. They always send me tracking numbers and if I have any issues they are always happy to pay for return shipping and correct the error. I am a loyal Tower Hobbies customer and most likely always will be. If your looking for a good .61 2-stroke, go no farther than the O.S. 61FX. It doesn't get any better than O.S. Me personally, I would prefer a .75 size engine over a .61 anyways.

Thank you Tower Hobbies for years of awesome service and support!!
No,
Not dis grunted.
I don't need the .75 although I understand it's a good engine.
I want an engine that will fly the plane and not ust an over sized engine to drag my plane through the air.
Some guys here are installing the .61 on the Avastar then asking themselves why the wings came apart in a dive LOL
Vegas/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.