Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Decathlons From Seagull 91 and 120 Size!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Decathlons From Seagull 91 and 120 Size!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 12:30 AM
codedlanguage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Decathlons From Seagull 91 and 120 Size!

I started to build mine. It will be powered by a Thunder Tiger 1.30 4 stroke. I will keep the DLE 20 for other projects. In terms of electronics I will use Hitec HS 645 MG on ruder and elevators, Multiplex mini HV (similar with Hitec HB 422) on ailerons and Hitec HS 82 MG on throtlle, installed on the firewall, hopefully.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79029.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	1661531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63356.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	1661532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99320.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	1661533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32012.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	1661534  
Old 12-06-2011, 08:45 AM
eclipse3g
My Feedback: (5)

Hi all,

Is the topic dead or everybody lost Bellanca Decathlons?
I had a crash on the 5th flight due to interference on 72Mhz. Currently I switched to Graupner HOTT 2.4Ghz (module for my JR 9303).
This is my Decathlon in the repair stage.
This is a greatest Decathlon (real one) pilot - Greg Koontz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_mOG...layer_embedded

Name:	Lj23126.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1696062  
Old 12-06-2011, 09:29 AM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

Nice lookin' color scheme! Post some more pics when you have them.!
Old 12-06-2011, 11:21 AM
eclipse3g

Thx wyo69cowboy
I will.
Hey codedlanguage!
How is your Bellanca? Have you flown it?
Old 12-07-2011, 01:08 AM
codedlanguage

Hello,I flown mine twice. Lost a wheel during first flight and did an emergency landing on the left and the tail wheel; such a stupid mistake forgetting to use thread lock on wheel axles .
No significant damage: broken prop and a small crack on the canopy.

On the second flight, the same right side wheel got stuck in the top branches of a bush during approach. The plane abruptly stopped and then it fell on the ground upside down. The result: another broken prop, more cracks on the canopy and slightly damage balsa covering next to LE.

I like a lot the way it flies, absolutely no need of rudder input during take off, it needs a bit of speed when landing.The wings and the canopy are in repairing process.

Some other birds to fly since then.

As I said, I like it a lot ! It's one of the few planes I'll buy twice.

Name:	Zx72176.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1696525  
Old 12-07-2011, 07:53 AM
flygilmore

How would the Zen. G20 do on this plane....I am thinking quite well. Anyone have experience with this combo?
Old 12-07-2011, 08:00 AM
eclipse3g

It's good that you are OK, codedlanguage .
My case was much worst - I bought a new fuselage + tail. I had a Futaba 350 gyro on my rudder, but I am not planning to use the gyro on this plane anymore. It's stable as Extra 260 or Yak-54.
You can buy a new canopy from Horizon. I used the smallest screws (I think 1X6) from Hobby King to secure it on the fuselage.
If you had had used the wheel pants you would not have lost the wheels. I do not use a thread lock on my collars, but I have wheel pants; however, if your field doesn't allow to use w-pants, use good collars from Great Planes with bigger thread. I use a bolt to secure collar on the axle.
I can't get a real picture, but something like this http://www.wattsup.co.nz/catalog/pop...eeb28956948a00
You got an idea.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:16 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Minnflyer did the review of the 1.20 size with the Zenoah and it worked out quite well.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:13 AM
codedlanguage

eclipse3g, i have a new pair of wings on their way from UK. Since then I have to pick up the repaired wings and canopy from a fellow kit builder who was willing to help me with the repair. I may try again this weekend if wheather will be fine. I know it sounds crazy but with a spare main wing set on the shelf I may start building a gas powered version when I will have the money for fuse and tail.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:37 AM
eclipse3g

Guys,
What’s diameter of the stock wheels for 0.75-.91 (not 120) Decathlon.?
Old 01-11-2012, 04:23 AM
ya33a

Hi,

I haven't posted on this forum in a while as I've been trying to run in the engine - the Saito twin has had a few runs now but won't run reliably yet. I'm reluctant to fit the onboard glo until I get a fair degree of reliability as it is. I have almost finished the cockpit, and will post photos when I'm happy with the way it winds up. I don't think I will be moving the servo tray and fit a full cockpit as I was planning because the fuel tank takes up far too much of the front fuselage anyway.

Here is a youtube of one of the first engine runs, I like the way it looks on the plane and the sound in a slow flyby should be unreal

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm2azwsIA&feature=plcp&context=C39fe13cUDOEgsToPDskJ4-anXlDBbq_qYcdPcKd5y[/youtube

http://www.youtube.com/v/wm2azwsIA
http://www.youtube.com/v/wm2azwsIA

Ok, the links don't appear to be working so if you type in the youtube search onthe first page these key words:- Saito, FA-100T, Decathlon - then you should be able to find it, I have no idea why the link isn't working properly.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:20 PM
NorfolkSouthern

If I get to the point where I opt for a larger scale plane, a Decathlon would likely be the best choice. I was doing some stall tests with a Giles 202, and it fell from the sky. I'm not sure if it was the radio, or if it was an unrecoverable stall. All I know is that I never had a single problem with my .40 sized Citabria, in relations to radio or airframe issues. I think half the reason these planes don't enjoy the popularity of the low-wing sport planes, is that they may be "too forgiving" in that they are more likely to self-correct than most other sport planes. But I would feel more comfortable with one because a recovery is far easier in a dead stick, or even a slight radio glitch for that matter. Boring to some, but I like something that's more prone to last a while.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 01-11-2012, 02:20 PM
eclipse3g

I had a .40 Phoenix Models Super Decathlon (the same as Seagull .40 or Black Horse ones) and now repairing my .120 size. In my experience I can’t say that those planes are forgiven and easy to fly. Of course I can compare these planes to what I’ve had and used to have such as GP Piper Cherokee, Hangar 9 RV8, NitroPlanes Yak-54 etc. The S. Decathlons something like nicely flying gliders; however, if the speed is less than a critical one, the stall is unpredictably fast and happens without any precautions such as waving wings etc. They are not popular as Extra 260/300, Yak-54, SBach, Katana because they are required more experience in aerobatics than those planes above. I am talking about aerobatics - not gliding in the sky and doing straight and inverted loops. Honestly I can’t do a proper knife-edge with my Decathlon, even rolls are not straight because the Decathlon needs input from all controls (rudder, ailerons, and elevator) to make the same roll as my Yak-54 can do just using aileron stick and a little bit of elevator. Top wing is good for gliding, but not as good in the inverted flights, rolls and hovering. The loops, hammer-heads are fine and easy for Decathlons.
Does anyone have different feelings regarding Bellanca Super Decathlons?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:11 PM
ahicks

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: eclipse3g

I had a .40 Phoenix Models Super Decathlon (the same as Seagull .40 or Black Horse ones) and now repairing my .120 size. In my experience I can’t say that those planes are forgiven and easy to fly. Of course I can compare these planes to what I’ve had and used to have such as GP Piper Cherokee, Hangar 9 RV8, NitroPlanes Yak-54 etc. The S. Decathlons something like nicely flying gliders; however, if the speed is less than a critical one, the stall is unpredictably fast and happens without any precautions such as waving wings etc. They are not popular as Extra 260/300, Yak-54, SBach, Katana because they are required more experience in aerobatics than those planes above. I am talking about aerobatics - not gliding in the sky and doing straight and inverted loops. Honestly I can’t do a proper knife-edge with my Decathlon, even rolls are not straight because the Decathlon needs input from all controls (rudder, ailerons, and elevator) to make the same roll as my Yak-54 can do just using aileron stick and a little bit of elevator. Top wing is good for gliding, but not as good in the inverted flights, rolls and hovering. The loops, hammer-heads are fine and easy for Decathlons.
They're a pilot's plane. They're not for everybody. A lot of the current generation of Extras, MXZs, Katanas, etc, can make anyone look much better than they are if set up properly. The Decathlon/Citabria must be flown properly to look good? That's their attraction to me. You screw up and it's going to let you know! If you know, you can try not to do that again.... If flown for a while, you'll know how to use your rudder properly, that's for sure!

Old 01-11-2012, 07:18 PM
DougC1

Guys,
What’s diameter of the stock wheels for 0.75-.91 (not 120) Decathlon.?

My 75/91 Decathlon wheels are measuring up around 2.93 inches with a dial caliper. They are certainly under 3"; perhaps there is such an animal as 75mm wheels (2.953")? I didn't pull the wheel pants to measure (and had to reach into the back of the storage shelf to take the measurement), but am certain that they are greater than 2 3/4" and just less than 3".

Hope this helps.

Doug
Old 01-12-2012, 08:03 AM
eclipse3g

Thx DougC1
Old 01-14-2012, 05:41 PM
NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: ahicks

ORIGINAL: eclipse3g

They're a pilot's plane. They're not for everybody. A lot of the current generation of Extras, MXZs, Katanas, etc, can make anyone look much better than they are if set up properly. The Decathlon/Citabria must be flown properly to look good? That's their attraction to me. You screw up and it's going to let you know! If you know, you can try not to do that again.... If flown for a while, you'll know how to use your rudder properly, that's for sure!

Most every high-wing, including trainers and Cubs, will have at least somewhat of a self-correcting tendency. This is why a knife-edge and similar stunts will pose more of a challenge. If you are at altitude, and do a tip-stall and a spin on a Decathlon, then you can recover without much difficulty. It's the same way with the full-sized plane; the airframe is designed that way. High-wings also don't have that "locked in, go where you point it" feel to them like, for example, an Edge or Extra. You have to fly the plane manually, like driving a car with a stick shift. To a low-time RC pilot, it won't look as good as the RV-4. Make a mistake at least three errors high, and the Decathlon will respond accordingly. On the other hand, that pilot also stands a better chance of getting their plane back in one piece. Because if the same thing is done on something like a Mustang or Cap, you'll be taking some of the parts home in a plastic bag. I don't have enough experience on a Cherokee or RV-4 to state an observation, but I will say that Decathlons are easier for me on the sim.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 02-03-2012, 03:20 AM
ahicks

Guys, has anyone weighed they're gas powered Decathlon 120 once built? I'm thinking of going with one, just trying to get a better idea of what it might weigh. Saw minnflyer's review, but didn't see that he posted a weight. Thanks, -Al
Old 02-03-2012, 04:27 PM
AJsToyz

Al,

Mine came in @ 11lbs 5oz. That's with the Syssa, carbon fiber spinner, receiver, and an A123 2300mah 2s battery pack.

Andy
Old 02-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Stick 40

Hi,

I have this plane and am just starting to finish it.

I have several engines to pick from for the plane and the one I would like to use is an O.S. 160 twin cyl, would anyone have insite to this combination?

sticks
Old 02-08-2012, 05:57 PM
ahicks

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

Al,

Mine came in @ 11lbs 5oz. That's with the Syssa, carbon fiber spinner, receiver, and an A123 2300mah 2s battery pack.

Andy
Well, I did it. Brown truck tossed it to me on his way by this afternoon. Going with the 20cc RCG rail mount engine. That was just shipped this afternoon, so it'll be a while.

Andy, what did you run into balancing it with the Syssa? Servos stayed in the original position, or were they moved to back? If original, did you use stock pushrods or something else?

Dove right in, spent the afternoon working out the wrinkles, mostly on the control surfaces. Fuselage was perfect. Turned out OK. Then installed angle stock around the landing gear box. Cut a hole under the gas tank to access the area. Drilled holes for toothpicks angling from the outside through LG block and into the bulkheads. That thing shouldn't be going anywhere! Yes, I'm tough on landing gear. I do know how to fly... but (screwed up) tail wheel first landings, Harriers, stupid stuff take their toll. I've learned to just beef it up best possible is easier going into it than later.

Next is hinging. Not using the supplied hinges. Will use Gorilla glue to fasten pin type DuBro probably. Tried the Gorilla glue a couple planes back. REALLY like how that stuff expands/works! Much easier to work with than epoxy too I think.

Regarding the 160 twin, I'd save it for something bigger, but that's just me. I think the plane is border line heavy as it is?
-Al
Old 02-08-2012, 05:59 PM
ahicks

Double post, sorry. l
Old 02-09-2012, 02:28 AM
AJsToyz

Al,

Mine balanced with out moving anything. I had little trouble mounting the ignition do to the muffler on the Syssa. I cut a hole in the fire wall, mounted the ignition to a thing piece of wood, the screwed it over the hole. You should enough room to keep yours on the firewall. The fuel was replaced, couldn't get the gasoline stopper to fit to my liking in the stock tank. Everything else I used was factory, the battery is directly under the wing tube.

Here is the little glitch that came with my set up, the boda antenna's on the optima 9 receiver. The plane has DS821 servo's on everthing except the throttle and rudder. The Boda antenna fears getting to close to the servo's , everything starts to chatter if this happens. Tried another optima 9, same thing, tried a 7, no problem. The receiver is mounted with two sided tape behind the servo tray, with the antenna in a Y configuration towards the tail. No mo problems.

Andy
Old 02-09-2012, 07:00 AM
Stick 40

"Regarding the 160 twin, I'd save it for something bigger, but that's just me. I think the plane is border line heavy as it is?"
-Al

Oh, I had not thought of that. I did not realize it was a heavy plane. I have a Enya 90 xf, hot engine, and that should fly it.

I will look back at some of the posts and see what I come up with, just wondering if flaps would help.

thanks for the input.

I guess I will save the twin for a 1/4 scale cub, that would be the best for it anyway.

sticks
Old 02-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Stick 40

I went back through all the posts and found two people who put RCGF 26 cc in theirs and they weigh 38.1 oz. Both planes balanced perfect

I found the site on rcu where minnflyer did the review and he used a Zenoah 20cc that weights in at 41.6 oz, I printed out his whole review and glad to have it.

My Gemini 160 twin weights 38.8 oz and has more power, I think it will be a good match.

I plan to use a lite glow driver, don't want to lose a cyl. in flight.

sticks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.