Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Extra 300 GP/EP

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Extra 300 GP/EP

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 06:32 AM
ceecrb1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Extra 300 GP/EP

ORIGINAL: kq4ra

No tip stall on mine but, you need to keep the speed up on landing or it will fall out straight ahead.
agreed.
mine has a fine line between glide path and brick.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:54 AM
CloudSkipper

ORIGINAL: fradelsm100

Looks like a good airplane,wonder if it has any tendency to tip stall on slow landings? another question I have a 66 inch wing apan vectorflight 300 extra ,I don't guess and dare to hope that the cowl from this plane would fit my vectorflight.
I'm assembling mine so I can more easily give some dimensions. Length is 22.7 cm from firewall side to prop side. Dimensions of firewall side are in the attached approximate sketch. Should give you an idea of if it's even close to what you need.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52858.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	1423891  
Old 04-24-2010, 08:49 AM
ceecrb1

Just incase anyone is interested, yesterday arrived my new lens for my Nikon DSLR, a 70 - 300.. so I took it to the club today..
On of the guys caught this shot of my extra, thought it was good enough to share.

All of the days photos can be seen here... (i´m the one catching the merlin)
http://picasaweb.google.es/ceecrb1/240410

Name:	Pn36124.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1423917  
Old 04-25-2010, 06:21 AM
kq4ra

Beautiful shot
Old 05-03-2010, 07:50 PM
obriendigital
My Feedback: (13)

What's the best way to setup the throttle for an OS .55ax? If you have a photo, that would be awesome!

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2010, 07:44 PM
nmking09
My Feedback: (61)

mount the servo opposite the way shown in the manual (servo top inside motor box) and drill a hole in the firewall for the pushrod.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:34 PM
CloudSkipper

ORIGINAL: nmking09

mount the servo opposite the way shown in the manual (servo top inside motor box) and drill a hole in the firewall for the pushrod.
Pictures and some info of this install method: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_84...tm.htm#8702678
I don't recall now if there was another post with pics regarding this.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:24 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI mine came in at 6 pounds even with the OS 70 Surpass II. Still have not maidened, but will soon!
Old 05-09-2010, 10:33 PM
maukaonyx

I can report now that I maidened my Extra 300 today! I ran the engine in at the field yesterday and got it running pretty good. Today it started up fast and ran nice, so I went for it. The plane lifted off around 2/3 throttle and needed only a couple clicks of aileron to fly straight and level at full throttle. Elevator was right on. With the 14-4W prop, it was not fast, but not slow either. Uplines were good, but did require steering with rudder to keep a straight line as speed decreased. It never ran out of engine to keep going up though, so I like that. I believe I will like this plane real fine with this set up of the OS 70 Surpass II and the APC 14-4W prop. I kept the speed up on first landings, and I think I will be able to slow her down more as I become more familiar with the slow speed and stall characteristics. I didn't wring her out today, but am anxious to see how she handles in KE, slow rolls, spins, etc. So far, so very good! Jon
Old 05-10-2010, 05:02 AM
ceecrb1

KE, you'll love.....
Yesterday a club member asked me if mine could KE, So i did a few KE circuits......
Only having problems getting a flat spin out of it......
Old 05-10-2010, 08:40 AM
maukaonyx

Looking forward to the KE then!!! Maybe your CG needs to move back a little to get the flat spin? Are you applying some opposite aileron once you get in the spin, to flatten it out? Sometimes that helps on my Giles and Yak. I'll try with my Extra and let you know how mine does. BTW, your pics are great...come take some shots of mine, lol. Jon
Old 05-10-2010, 08:49 AM
ceecrb1

ORIGINAL: maukaonyx

Looking forward to the KE then!!! Maybe your CG needs to move back a little to get the flat spin? Are you applying some opposite aileron once you get in the spin, to flatten it out? Sometimes that helps on my Giles and Yak. I'll try with my Extra and let you know how mine does. BTW, your pics are great...come take some shots of mine, lol. Jon
Fine, Just pay my airfare... 1st class please!

Yeah I experimented with the C/G, It is currently at the manuals starting point and i started moving it back progressively to the manuals stated limit... Its back at the starting point as it just wasnt working out for me.. moving the c/g back screwed up the thrust line a lot... really I know I need to move it back and add washers.. but on a coweled plane its just a lot of fuss when its only 1 manouver I cant get out of the plane, and otherwise i´m totaly utterly chuffed with how it flys.. I KNOW i´m getting another if I break this one.. if not I am REALLY sure of buying one of its bigger brothers!

I´m finding the plane flys best with TRIPPLE rates, during a flight i´m continualy switching between them as I perform manouvers.
I have a medium where I am most of the time. (manuals "high rates).
A low whicih I use for large loops/f3a style flying.. its great! (manuals low rates)
and an ultra high for KE, snaps and tumbles which is between manuals 3d and high.
all with 20% exponential.

give it a go and let me know how u get on!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:57 AM
maukaonyx

Here is my simple insurance for keeping the canopy on. It's a short length of plastic soda straw attached with CA to the canopy. Makes a perfect light duty and light weight spring. Jon

Old 05-10-2010, 05:31 PM
ceecrb1

mine is not too disimilar a modification!

Either great minds think alike, or fools seldom differ... take your pick.

Name:	Bz78209.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	1434079  
Old 05-12-2010, 12:53 AM
albsurfer

ORIGINAL: ceecrb1

mine is not too disimilar a modification!

Either great minds think alike, or fools seldom differ... take your pick.

A thin piece of foam on the front edge works well, also. I haven't had any problems with it staying in place.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:58 AM
albsurfer

I am almost finished replacing the fuselage & tail from my crash. The wings came out OK. The tail was intact, but you can't transfer it to the new fuse. It happened when my 55AX died on a 45 deg pull-up at full throttle. I am using it in a pattern plane right now with an 11x6/7 props and it hasn't failed to-date. anyway, I am giving my TH .75 a home in this Extra along with a 14oz tank. I will put a 12x6 APC on and keep the speed way down. Later, I plan to put a 13x4 on to try hovering. Judicious throttle control will be in order! Ha Ha. I'll post a couple of pictures this weekend. I will seal the control surface gaps from the bottom to make sure I don't get flutter from the bigger engine/prop combo.

Happy Flying to all.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:23 PM
vgjunky

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just put together my Extra 300sp with an OS 55ax. Battery (5 cell 6V) behind the fuel tank, rudder servo beside the elevator servo. I balanced it at 3 1/2 and it really seems to fly nose heavy. I was going to relocate the rudder servo to under the fuse vice beside the elevator servo. Where did you guys with my combo end up putting your rudder servo? In the tail underside?
Old 05-31-2010, 01:42 PM
ceecrb1

I have the same setup as you and the same layout.. The only difference I have is that I´m using a 2100mah 2 cell lipo and BEC to power the plane.

In the end I started to play with the c/g a lot as I also thought that it was a little too nose heavy.

Mine has the battery on the same tray as the fuel tank, but pushed back against the wing-tube´s tube... and the BEC on the trailing edge of the wing-tube´s tube....

There are pics of my install in this thread.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:53 PM
vgjunky

I have the same setup as you and the same layout.. The only difference I have is that I´m using a 2100mah 2 cell lipo and BEC to power the plane.

In the end I started to play with the c/g a lot as I also thought that it was a little too nose heavy.

Mine has the battery on the same tray as the fuel tank, but pushed back against the wing-tube´s tube... and the BEC on the trailing edge of the wing-tube´s tube....

There are pics of my install in this thread.
So was your rudder servo is in the tail or in the tray beside the elevator servo? This was the only change I was going to make right now.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:06 PM
ceecrb1

Hope this answers everything for you.

Name:	He96952.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	1445770  
Old 05-31-2010, 02:09 PM
vgjunky

Ahh, you have it in the same place as me...must be your much lighter battery that gives you a better c of g then me. My 5 cell is heavy. Tonight I am going to mount my rudder servo in the tail to start, then fly it again and see where I am. When I maidened it yesterday I had to trim the elevator quite a bit to get level flight, so of course when I went inverted the trim didn't help. Thanks for the reply... By the way ceecrb1 I was in Malaga last month...ahhh Spain.....
Old 05-31-2010, 02:20 PM
gleber
My Feedback: (10)

What BEC did you use? I think I'll do like yours!
Old 05-31-2010, 02:31 PM
ceecrb1

I´m using a Turnigy Megabec 8,
Its HUGE but it is a true linear BEC, Ie zero noise in the dc supply, this means however it will ONLY accept 2 cell lipos.
The low battery warning LED is bright enough to see in day light, if your looking for it, but on the lipo rx pack you can fly for DAYS.. I dont though.. always recharge.
With 8A supply it definately is overkill.. but i´d rather have overkill and the leaner supply any day over a small switching bec.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...igy_MEGABEC_8_

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Receiver_Pack_
Old 05-31-2010, 02:34 PM
gleber
My Feedback: (10)

Thank you so much for the info.

I'll place my order now!!!
Old 05-31-2010, 02:42 PM
ceecrb1

Just be carefull if you use zip ties like me to lock everything in place (I also have velcro under the battery..) If you do it up too tight, it will damage the lipo obviously, but it does have enough strength to alter the shape of the wing tube holder... I did mine "snug" rather than tight.. then retested sliding hte wing tube into its holder, as the first time I did it nice and "secure" and I couldnt get the wing tube in!

when I ordered mine, I ordered a few of each.

The only last thing missing is a 5mm LED holder, you can get them from any electronics supply shops.. So that you can mount it into the wall of the plane.. go back a few pages of this thread and you´ll find my photos of the led install and it lit up.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9432524

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.