Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 10:37 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

At last my Revolver has flown ( at least one flight [&:] ) it was windy some what gusting 15 Kts at least, that's why I only flew her once just to get it done, you know, I don't like to have hanger queens.

The TO was very stable, the flight was simple nothing fancy, pattern turns ( remember I have a new engine ) I set up the Ailerons per the manual and with the wind blowing it was very docile during the turns, the elevator too very nice all around, the landing was long for this time and OK. I knew about this bird been sleepery so I cut the throttle long before I got close to the runway and still she floated for a while.

All in all avery nice airplane so far, can't wait for a calm day to really gat her going with the ST 90 ( Oh yes, I was at 1/4 of the throttle stick most of the flight. .

Sorry no video, my friend never made it to the field, next time.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:52 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey CarsII, Glad to hear you got to fly her. Mine being bit on the fat side comes in hot all the time. I land it at what most people fly theirs at. With the 26cc gas engine and control thows maxxed out this plane is a real blast to fly. Next time you get out there open her up. I think she will suprise you with just how out of shape you can get and how quickly you can get right back to level flight.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:08 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frankeldan - I also prefer the sound of four strokes now. I have two 59" Revolvers - in one I had an OS 61 2s and the other an OS 91 4s. The 91 is overpowered for this plane, but I love having that power, and the plane can handle it. The 61 was fast, but I have to admit that the 2s sound just doesn't grab me anymore. Then I crashed the 61 and am now in the (slow) process of rebuild - will be installing an OS 70 4s this time. I have an OS 91 2s, but I bought it used and it's always run poorly, so not using that.

btw - looking at the cost of spare parts, it seems like it's not worth rebuilding this OS 91 2s that I bought used. I'm thinking it needs a new piston cylinder, maybe a piston, etc. But I hate to let an engine just sit there unused. Any thoughts on a solution, or should I just let this one go?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:29 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Mr Mustang

Thank you for the advise, sure will, I like to opent them up full throttle on the way up to do snaps, I also set the ailerons as flaperons to slow her down a bit for landing.

Microdon2, If the cost of replacement parts for the OS 91 exceeds 1/2 of the price for a new engine then I will suggest not to rebuild but if it is less and you know you can make her run better then go for it, that's how I do it.

Remember I mention I was having engine problems with the ST 90, I decided that I was not going to be able to make it run better after changing the berings and because the history of the engine, now I have a new ST 90 and I'm verryyyyyyyy happy

Happy flying
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29436.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1675160  
Old 10-16-2011, 01:54 PM
capt1597

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

microdon2, i originally bought this plane to put a os120fs in it but after seeing frankeldan video near the beginning of this thread i switched tacks and went with my os91fx. i have two of these engines, the other in a extra 260. i spent alot of time and money trying to tune these two engines to no avail. finally i found a thread here on rcu- RC AIRPLANES,,,, QUESTIONS & ANSWERS,,,, OS91FX STARTS AND RUNS POORLY HELP. it turns out that the low end setting was very rich at the factory setting. that thread taught me how to dial in these os91fx's and they are both running strong today. before you spend any money find that tuning thread and see if that helps. i am loving how the os91fx with pitts muffler pulls this plane around. also, i am spinning a apc 14/8 prop and have been clocked many times at 110 mph with the club radar gun. i must say that i really enjoy the sound of this engine screaming past. happy flying, capt
Old 10-16-2011, 03:25 PM
microdon2

CarsII \ Capt - thanks - I see there's lots of 91FX threads on RCU. I'll do some reading.

Flew both of my RTF Revolvers today - 59"\OS 91FS and the 70" \ YS 140. Both flew very well, in spite of the 15-20 mph headwind. Fortunately the wind was pretty steady and straight down the runway. Had only one stall, on my last flight (of course) of the 70". I had the plane up very high (doing an inverted glide) when it stalled, so was worried I'd overshoot the runway. Made it down, but with lots of speed as it's rolling out. Then hit a patch of deep grass and the Rev tripped up, did a FULL forward flip, then landed upright, right on it's gear! Turns out no damage, either! Good thing I reinforced the third-party gear - the stock stuff would have been toast.

Mike
Old 10-16-2011, 08:33 PM
frankeldan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Microdon ...That wind this morning in the northeast (ct) was killer .. Crosswinds like crazy at the field.. I was flying my goldberg ultimate and had a tough time bringing her in ...then decided it was heli time and flew the raptor 50... That does amazing well in the wind

If you look at some of my eariler posts on this board , i think i clocked my revolver at 114. I had a gps logger in the plane and overlayed the results on google earth. The revolver is fast for a larger plane .. But i have a smaller racer with a dubb jett 60 lx ..now thats a screamer..

Later,

Dan
Old 10-16-2011, 08:51 PM
microdon2

frankeldan - what engine and prop are you using to hit 114mph?
Old 10-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Sbach342Guy

Today was supposed to be a decent day for flying. It ended up being a bit to windy. Well, it was fine while you were in the air but it was a strong crosswind during landings. On my one and only flight this morning I went into knife edge while trying to land...not on purpose mind you. It took three attempts to land safely thanks to the 20 mph crosswind gusts.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:20 PM
microdon2

Don - sometimes you gotta land between the gusts! Weather here in lower NY tomorrow looks excellent - 6mph SW and 52 F. Will be hitting the field at 6:45am for a 7:08am sunrise to get an hour of flying in before work with my Rev 59. Wind from the SW is my least favorite approach at this field - have to swing in over some trees and a parking lot and land through two trees - but it keeps me sharp. Love landing!

btw - looks like our Revolver club is expanding - a guy at my new club just got a 70" Revolver with a 1.00 Saito 4s, because, he said, he saw me fly mine and wanted one, too. Cool to see other Revolvers flying at your club.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Sbach342Guy

I'm off all week so the wind the last couple of days is driving me nuts. Tomorrow looks promising. My R70, 3DHS Huck Buck, and my EF MXS are already loaded in my car. Daughter was sick today and hopefully she will be better tomorrow. Otherwise I will be home with her.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:47 PM
wjcalhoun

Hey guys

My R70 is coming along; DLE20 is mounted after reinforcing the engine box and firewall with fiberglass and epoxy. Reglued the servo box; wings are complete - cut out the CA hinges and installed 6 robarts per wing. No gap, and a measured 55* passive deflection on my ailerons. HStab installed and elevators hinged with robarts hinge points (50* deflection); rudder hinged with points. The gaps are so small I probably will not need to seal the gaps with clear monokote, but I'll probably do it anyway.

I have my aft elev servo rails installed on both sides, and am about ready to set up the pull-pull for the rudder. I won't put max throws on her just yet, but having the ability to do so will certainly help with the flat spins. She will have Futaba S9452 digital metal gears all around. All linkages are 2-56 covered with carbon tube epoxied in place, with threaded ball links on each end.

I am replacing the tail gear with GP scale gear - looks a bit nicer than the Sullivan IMO. I am not positive, but I think the build is different - better - than the earlier R70. The main gear plate appears to be epoxied in place, and there is definitely some triangle stock on all four edges that was not there in my first R70. Maybe GP is learning from our experience.

I'm using an IBE from Syssa, and dual Miracle switch (receiver and ignition) / fuel dot (in blue) from Valley View (a really great piece of hardware). I'm really looking forward to getting her in the air. I'll get an accurate dry weight soon. Plan to prop her with a Xoar 17x6. Should give great vertical possibly at the expense of speed.

BTW, flying is a 12 month sport in TX. Best wishes Mike!

Old 10-18-2011, 02:13 AM
microdon2

wjc - your R70 build sounds excellent. 6 Robart hinges per wing! Nice. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

btw - the guy at my field who is a brand new Rev 70 owner, on his only flight on Sunday, the plane was performing very well, but when he landed I noticed that his right wing's servo box was coming out. None of us had expoxy-safe CA there, and he didn't want to use tape, so that was the end of his flying day. He's also still on stock gear, front and rear. He's a good pilot, but I'm curious how long they'll last. I told him about this thread, about all the great info here.

Now I'm leaving to go to the field with my Rev 59.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:08 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Had a great morning at the field today. No wind and the temperature was in the low-mid 70s. I got three flights on my Revolver 70 with a Magnum 91 four stroke. Every flight was a dream. The loops were sky high, the rolls were axial. and the landings perfect. The company could not have been better. I love the Revolver!

Bruce
Old 10-18-2011, 01:17 PM
iflywhenican

ORIGINAL: landeck

Had a great morning at the field today. No wind and the temperature was in the low-mid 70s. I got three flights on my Revolver 70 with a Magnum 91 four stroke. Every flight was a dream. The loops were sky high, the rolls were axial. and the landings perfect. The company could not have been better. I love the Revolver!

Bruce
Thought I heard somebody flying my Revolver!! I have the same engine in mine.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:27 PM
GaryA

ME THREE!!
Old 10-23-2011, 05:19 PM
TM77
My Feedback: (9)

I'm sure this has already been discussed in this thread but are you guys using the 1/8" or the 3/16" size Robart hinges in this plane.Thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 04:40 AM
wjcalhoun

I'm using the 1/8 dia for the R70. Bigger for the 50cc birds.
GP medium hinges are about the same size as the 1/8" dia Robarts.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:44 AM
wjcalhoun

All the servos are installed; pull-pull rudder system installed. Throttle linkage and choke linkages in. Fuel tank plumbed for gasoline. I need to install the ignition, the IBE, the receiver, and then figure out CG to install the battery. Getting close, but the 8-5 gets in the way of building!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:12 AM
microdon2

wjc - I"ve got a brand new Rev 70 sitting patiently in it's box just waiting for me, so I feel your pain. Also have a Sukhoi 26m to fix, alongwith an H9 Mustang, my 78" Texas Hurricane, and a 48" Super Sportster. Oh yeah - and a Rev 59 to finish and a Phoenix 57" Extra 300 to build. Oh - and a GWS 38" A10 to finish. My dance card is booked!! Biggest question is - which to attach first!

Thank goodness still have a Rev 70 and a Rev 59 that actually FLY, or I'd be going nuts.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:41 AM
flyboy0608

Jesus Microdon,

Sounds like you are booked for the next two years in building airplanes. Must be nice to have all those birds to build and fly. I just have my Revolver 70 and I just maidened my HABU 32 jet. What a handfull she is !! Good luck with your builds !!!

Old 10-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Another accolade for the Rev 70. I was out flying this weekend and I flew my Aero Works Extra 260 and also my Rev 70. A gentleman walked up to me and said, "Man, that Revolver is one nice flying plane...simply one great plane."

The gentleman did not know it was built by Great Planes, so I told him it was. He was very impressed with the Revolver 70. He asked me if they made a larger one. I told him I wish they would make a 30cc gasser - would be perfect

It never fails! I can pull every plane I got out of my van and fly them all and the one most commented on is the Rev 70. [8D]
Old 10-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Sbach342Guy

Time to shop for skiis or pontoons for my Revolver. The pontoons seem to work just as well as skiis in the snow.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:46 PM
microdon2

Don -

Tower has some inexpensive Dubro skis that work fine, and there's also these, that I now use and like (a little longer, and little more money):

http://www.maidenusammp.com/

It's snowing (wet) and blowing and really nasty out here in the NY \ NJ area today. Didn't stop me, though, from driving 120 miles through this crud to pick up a used Great Planes Super Stearman Bipe (71") from a guy - saw it here on RCU. Looks real nice. Has an OS 120 4s, so may be underpowered - might move my YS 140 into it, if I get it running right. Will check out it's flying (as is) next week.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Sbach342Guy

ORIGINAL: microdon2

Don -

Tower has some inexpensive Dubro skis that work fine, and there's also these, that I now use and like (a little longer, and little more money):

http://www.maidenusammp.com/

It's snowing (wet) and blowing and really nasty out here in the NY \ NJ area today. Didn't stop me, though, from driving 120 miles through this crud to pick up a used Great Planes Super Stearman Bipe (71'') from a guy - saw it here on RCU. Looks real nice. Has an OS 120 4s, so may be underpowered - might move my YS 140 into it, if I get it running right. Will check out it's flying (as is) next week.
How do these work for a tail dragger? Is there a small ski for the rear or doesn't the rear really matter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.