Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Hard of Soft case

Old 03-23-2018, 04:58 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard of Soft case

Another question for you folks. Which is better in a truggy? Hard case or soft case LiPo? Or is there any difference?
Old 03-24-2018, 08:28 AM
tntpooof

i prefer a hardcase.. can take a few more crashes and bumps than a softy..
Old 03-24-2018, 05:58 PM
stacysouth

same as above, i also prefer hard case. there is no other explanation to that.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:18 AM
RustyUs

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

If you are racing, you will more than likely be required to use hard case packs. That should tell you something right there. It's just an added layer of protection.

My first LiPo packs, from 2010, were soft case packs, and are still being used today...still used in harsh off-road environment. But hard cased packs are preferred. Having a very secure battery retention system is a must for any battery.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:00 AM
tntpooof

Originally Posted by RustyUs View Post
If you are racing, you will more than likely be required to use hard case packs. That should tell you something right there. It's just an added layer of protection.

My first LiPo packs, from 2010, were soft case packs, and are still being used today...still used in harsh off-road environment. But hard cased packs are preferred. Having a very secure battery retention system is a must for any battery.
UNtrue like most of your miss information.. get real crushy. now adays most local or club allow you to run any pack soft or hard.. only thing is hv must be charged to 4.20 volts a cell.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:10 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by tntpooof View Post
UNtrue like most of your miss information.. get real crushy. now adays most local or club allow you to run any pack soft or hard.. only thing is hv must be charged to 4.20 volts a cell.
RustyUS is right. Our local indoor track won't let us use soft-case LiPOs, too much of a risk of breaking and causing smoke to fill the place the track is in.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:44 AM
tntpooof

when you have guys charging at 10 C .it dont matter what you have soft or hard.. i just raced in pittsburg a clod race they allowed any lipo..same with Michigan . illinois and many others..
Old 03-25-2018, 11:32 AM
RustyUs

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tntpooof View Post
Bottom line on some "miss" info from me...check with track's rules when you are in doubt. It's that simple.

Bashing rules: anything goes, but keeping a soft case LiPo pack from jumping around in chassis should be the main goal when using them. A small sharp edged pebble/stone is not what you are wanting in between battery tray, and battery. Treat your batteries with respect ... you, and your batteries should have a good life together.

Charging a pack @ a 10C rate...what does that have to do with choosing a soft or hard cased LiPo?