Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Solartex

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Solartex

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 01:33 PM
panhndl
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solartex

I've done some searches and am kind of confused.

I would like to use this to cover my build, but would also like to paint on the fabric some. I'm not quite clear on the procedure since all ofSolarlfilm's products don't seem to beavailable in the US.

I'd like to use my airbrush and accessories so cans of Krylon are out. It is a wood model. I will not be painting any plastic or fiberglass, but I could paint some metal (landing gear), if I desire. It is a gas model.

Do I just need to buy some "natural" colored Solartex and then paint the whole model? Do I buy some colored and paint other colors over it? What paints work (no need for warbird colors this time)?

I guess basically, I'm trying to find a "how to" on using Solartex, painting, and maybe sealing (even though it is a gas plane).

Old 01-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Solartex

Hi.

Solartex doesn't need to be painted but it does help to make it easier to clean on a glow model. Coverall has to be painted. If you are looking to finish up with the fabric covered look Solartex is a joy to work with and can be a one step process. If you are painting over balsa sheeting all you have to do, unless you want the fabric look, is seal sand, sand, sand and paint.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 01-24-2011, 05:18 PM
oldtyme

ORIGINAL: panhndl

I would like to use this to cover my build, but would also like to paint on the fabric some. I'm not quite clear on the procedure since all of Solarlfilm's products don't seem to be available in the US.

I'd like to use my airbrush and accessories so cans of Krylon are out. It is a wood model. I will not be painting any plastic or fiberglass, but I could paint some metal (landing gear), if I desire. It is a gas model.

Do I just need to buy some ''natural'' colored Solartex and then paint the whole model? Do I buy some colored and paint other colors over it? What paints work (no need for warbird colors this time)?

I guess basically, I'm trying to find a ''how to'' on using Solartex, painting, and maybe sealing (even though it is a gas plane).

panhndl............Solartex is available from Balsa USA here in the states. I just bought a scale WWI bird from them and I'm going to buy the required colors of Solartex from them. If you want to talk to someone just call Balsa USA and talk to Dave Lewis....a really nice guy and very helpful. Seems to have all the time in the world to talk to customers to make sure they're happy. I can't praise this company enough...........and they are in the USA!!!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:22 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: oldtyme

ORIGINAL: panhndl

I would like to use this to cover my build, but would also like to paint on the fabric some. I'm not quite clear on the procedure since all of Solarlfilm's products don't seem to be available in the US.

Do I just need to buy some ''natural'' colored Solartex and then paint the whole model? Do I buy some colored and paint other colors over it? What paints work (no need for warbird colors this time)?

I guess basically, I'm trying to find a ''how to'' on using Solartex, painting, and maybe sealing (even though it is a gas plane).

panhndl............Solartex is available from Balsa USA here in the states. I just bought a scale WWI bird from them and I'm going to buy the required colors of Solartex from them. If you want to talk to someone just call Balsa USA and talk to Dave Lewis....a really nice guy and very helpful. Seems to have all the time in the world to talk to customers to make sure they're happy. I can't praise this company enough...........and they are in the USA!!!!!
+1, great people to deal with. I love working with the TEX coverings, very easy to work with. I usually buy mine in colors then just paint the trim. I do use the white or off white if I'm going to paint the complete plane.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:37 PM
panhndl

I sent Balsa USA an email but got a response that didn't really tell me anything.  I'll try calling tomorrow or the next day.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2011, 06:52 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

I have covered the plane in the primary color and then painted the trim colors with latex paint using an air brush. You will then need to clear coat the entire plane to seal the weave as well as protect it from the gas. You do need to make sure that you have done all your shrinking prior to painting as applying the heat gun after painting does not make for a pretty picture. Good Luck, Dave
Old 01-25-2011, 07:55 AM
panhndl

I assume you mean that I clear coat after I paint.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:29 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Yes sir. With Solartex it is recommended that you clear coat it even if you don't paint it. This help's cleaning it up after a day of flying. Good Luck, Dave
Old 01-25-2011, 08:36 AM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

I have always been curious about the Tex coverings. When I cover with Koverall and seal with polycrylic I sand the seams until they are gone. If you are covering with a pre-painted covering do you sand the seams as well? My pet peeves (did I spell that right) are seams. I just cant stand to see them. Its why I switched from the film coverings. I am not good at all at applying those.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Missileman

I too love the Solartex coverings and Balsa USA is great to deal with.
As for seams? If you are covering with cloth for the classic look of planes that were indeed cloth covered keep in mind the real planes had seams as well so if you plan where the seams are it makes a more authentic look.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:00 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
You don't sand the seams when using Tex coverings,at least it does not work good, but naturally it could be done! If you want them to be unseen paint the wing using automotive 2 part laquer paint!
But please do not use a small air brusch, they are just for small details, not for a large area work like on an R/C plane. For painting an R/C plane use a large automotive spray gun with an above cup (3/4 liter).

But I would not recommend using TEX coverings on ordinary sport airplanes as these coverings are heavier than Oracover (which is the best plastic covering).
TEX covering does not have to be painted but remember that they get dirty with time from oil residue.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:02 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I emailed BUSA on the best way to protect as I will be using solartex for the first time.... They reccomended to me a couple very light coats of a minwax water based polyurethane.

I posted this link to them: http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarest...in-266510.aspx

And the reply was:

That’s the stuff!!

We use the same thing and have had very good luck with it, I believe you can get it in gloss, semi-gloss, and flat what ever is appropriate for the aircraft you’re modeling.

Just remember it only takes a couple of light coats. Don’t but it on all thick and heavy not only that just added weight but if applied to thickly it can yellow the white! NOT GOOD!
Dave Lewis
Balsa USA

Old 01-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Don't know if it will show up in the photos but I was trying to show what happens without the clear coat. I flew this plane for a few years with a glow engine then a gasser. It really isn't all that bad but the clear coat makes clean up easier and doesn't allow staining.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48865.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1553085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32778.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1553086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58801.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	35.6 KB