Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

anyone use this servo?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

anyone use this servo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 10:11 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone use this servo?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17794

im wondering how it compares to this servo

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3743

since the hobbyking one is in the usa warehouse...makes it alittle easier to get ahold of them
im worried about centering/reliablity more than power
Old 05-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: anyone use this servo?

I don't know about those particular servos, but centering and reliability is not usually the strong point in bargain servos....
Old 05-21-2011, 05:21 AM
traiders
My Feedback: (3)

The HX 5010 center better than most of my Futaba servo's and have proven to be good servo's.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:19 AM
opjose

It's always amusing to see the negative remarks from people who haven't even bothered TRYING the product....

-

Jimmy

Both are basically manufactured by "Hextronics" ( AKA Tower Pro ) which is the trade name for Hobby King's hardware.

The HK 15288A is a metal geared variant.

I've purchased over a dozen of the latter and have found no problems to speak of.... however bare in mind that low end metal geared servos do have higher wear rates.

Normally plastic "gives", producing less overall wear... and this is one reason many metal gear servos go to more exotic metals to reduce wear... but that brings up the price greatly. These servos do NOT use Titanium gears or the like.

So they may not last as long as the 5010's, but you are still talking about decently long lifetimes in all likelhood they will outlast your plane.

Otherwise they are little different than the other HX analog servos.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Mr Cox

ORIGINAL: opjose

It's always amusing to see the negative remarks from people who haven't even bothered TRYING the product....

-

Jimmy

Both are basically manufactured by ''Hextronics'' ( AKA Tower Pro ) which is the trade name for Hobby King's hardware.

I've purchased over a dozen of the latter and have found no problems to speak of.... however bare in mind that low end metal geared servos do have higher wear rates.

Normally plastic ''gives'', producing less overall wear... and this is one reason many metal gear servos go to more exotic metals to reduce wear... but that brings up the price greatly. These servos do NOT use Titanium gears or the like.

So they may not last as long as the 5010's, but you are still talking about decently long lifetimes in all likelhood they will outlast your plane.

Sorry about that, it is not that I haven't bothered to try them, I just that I haven't tried those particular servos.
I have had some bad experience with hobbyking and HX servos before, so I'm a little biased and have never understood why one would get stuff from HK when there are so many better products out there.

I do promise that I will try to not say anything the next time that HX servos pop up here, and I'm sorry if I have offended any dedicated HK fans out there.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:19 AM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't feel that you need to apoligize for your thoughts. Here are mine. There may be many good servos, rx, tx, etc out there availble at cheap prices therefor they sell well. For myself I choose to pay the bit more for known trustworthy equipment. My planes have at least a $400.00 value, therefore I try to avoid possible problems with ??? things.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:38 AM
jimmyjames213

ORIGINAL: opjose

-

Jimmy

Both are basically manufactured by ''Hextronics'' ( AKA Tower Pro ) which is the trade name for Hobby King's hardware.

Normally plastic ''gives'', producing less overall wear... and this is one reason many metal gear servos go to more exotic metals to reduce wear... but that brings up the price greatly. These servos do NOT use Titanium gears or the like.

i too have used the hxt's (i have over 20) i was just wondering if they were the same servo (with metal gears obviously) because i trust them. thanks for the info opjose
ill just grease em up with extra lithium grease every now and again, may help the wear rate...if not...i tried...

i have alot of fun designing my own planes and whatnot, i cant afford to spend 100+ on servos for every time i come up with a new idea.
For the planes i buy and compete with in pattern and whatnot, the futaba/jr/hitec are the only servos i use, but for sports flying the little hxt's work great.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:23 PM
millertym2000
My Feedback: (4)

I've used a lot of the 5010's and I've only had a problem with one.. I have them in most of my 40 size birds and in in my tiger 60.. Depending on what kind of plane you put them in and what kind of flying your going to do.. probably not the best for 3D flying but does fine for regular flying....
Old 05-22-2011, 12:26 PM
thomas-ralph

any 1 no for some good mini servos - need 2 for pretty cheap but good?
Old 05-22-2011, 12:29 PM
thomas-ralph

Old 05-23-2011, 09:17 AM
opjose

I've purchased some of the Turnigy Mini's and they have been awesome...

High torque, low cost, excellent response and centering.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:34 AM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

I wanted to buy the orange one but I went ahead and bought these instead

http://www.hobbypartz.com/kahaoubrmo14.html

BTW, these HK servos don't look bad either.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:49 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: armody

He's looking for MINI servos, the 5010 ( aka SG5010's and HX5010's ) are standard sized high torque servos.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:16 AM
jimmyjames213

ORIGINAL: armody

so those servos are the same as the hxt5010? they look exactly the same to me. to bad hobbypartz doesnt have the digital hxt12k's in stock those have slightly better centering
Old 05-23-2011, 10:25 AM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

They pretty much do look the same, the servo arms ain't that much good quality, but these servos work fine, I've tested them not used them. Few projects are in the pipeline, so I'm gonna use one of these hobbypartz servos I bought.

Price is also very good.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:53 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: jimmyjames213

so those servos are the same as the hxt5010? they look exactly the same to me. to bad hobbypartz doesnt have the digital hxt12k's in stock those have slightly better centering
Yup same things.

BTW: The JR arms fit the 5010's.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Mr Cox

ORIGINAL: thomas-ralph

Hitech HS-65HB, great value for the money.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:45 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

Hitech HS-65HB, great value for the money.
That's a MICRO servo.

He's looking for a MINI servo...

If Hitec, something like a HS-225MG...

Or the equivalent from HK...

Something like this...

[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8500]Mini Servo[/link]

Note the dimensions are wrong...

Old 05-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Mr Cox

Where do you draw the line between micro and mini, to me it is a little fuzzy....
I haven't seen any clear definitions (mini, micro and nano doesn't really mean anything here), the HS-65HB is 11g and pulls 1.9 kgcm. If that is not enough then there is also the HS-81, guess that is more in the "mini" range.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:38 PM
jetmech05

Here's my 2 cents worth.....Your servo's are the last electronic componet in your hundreds of dollars worth of airplane....Futaba, JR, and Hitech...all seem to make the basic same servos for the same basic price.......now here comes a company that I know nothing about selling servos for pennies on the dollar....things that make you go hmmmmmm.
No I haven't tried them...I'll wait and see what happens...
Good Luck to you though
Old 05-24-2011, 08:27 AM
opjose

Where do you draw the line between micro and mini, to me it is a little fuzzy....
I haven't seen any clear definitions (mini, micro and nano doesn't really mean anything here), the HS-65HB is 11g and pulls 1.9 kgcm. If that is not enough then there is also the HS-81, guess that is more in the ''mini'' range.
It's dependant upon weight, size, torque and mounting style.

Most mini's have TWO screws for instance because some of the medium and higher torque servos produce MORE torque than medium standard size servos.

I've often used MINI servos as drop in replacements for standard servos on .50 and smaller planes, to shave off a bit of weight.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:33 AM
opjose

IMHO dismissing things you haven't tried outright and proclaiming that train of thought to others, is a form of fear mongering.

... Not to single anyone out at all .... but this happens quite a bit around here, and often leads to all sorts of rumors, that are often repeated over and over... hence the "the less expensive servos don't center as well" types of posts.

You don't have to be the first to try something new.... some of us do like to try new things however... that leads to some misses, and some real finds, no matter the doubts.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Mr Cox

I still haven't seen any definition on what is mini and micro, HK seems to think that mini is when the weight is between 11-20g so that would include the HS-65HB.

I have tried other servos from HK and don't like their quality, and frankly I do not understand why some people are so defensive about stuff from HK. It is like the emperors new clothes or something...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43428.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	1614039  
Old 05-24-2011, 12:50 PM
opjose

I still haven't seen any definition on what is mini and micro, HK seems to think that mini is when the weight is between 11-20g so that would include the HS-65HB.
Nope the HS-65HB is too small to fit a MINI servo requirement.

I have tried other servos from HK and don't like their quality, and frankly I do not understand why some people are so defensive about stuff from HK. It is like the emperors new clothes or something...
If you've tried "other servos" you should post which specific servos.

HK sells many different servos, some MUCH better than others.

They run the gamut in quality and price.

Frankly I do not understand why some people immediately assume that JR, Hitec or Futaba are the only "good" servos out there, and ridicule all others or act to cast aspersions on things they have not tried.

I've used well over 350 servos and the highest consistent failure rates I've had is from Hitec.

Going by that methinks the Hitec Emperor is naked. I've never taken to knocking Hitec's though...

Old 05-24-2011, 01:53 PM
thomas-ralph

Going to try the  hitec HS 55 i think

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.