Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How to pick up the crash and move on

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How to pick up the crash and move on

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 07:55 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to pick up the crash and move on

I tell you the BEST therapy I've found. I go through the same low down feeling when one becomes a plow instead of a plane. Here are a few rules first and foremost:

1. NEVER fall in love with your airplane
2. NEVER give it a name
3. NEVER paint, preen, fluff one up
4. NEVER go flying without a decent heavy duty trash bag

ALL planes have an expiration date (just like life, we don't always know when that will be) Buy you some beaters, crash the hell out of them and go buy some more beaters and do thatfor the first few years.
Once you've lost one, bag it up, assess the possibiity of rebuilding. If it's a loss, salvage what you can and get the rest in the trash can as soon as possible (out of sight - out of mind syndrome).
THEN...the BEST CURE OF ALL....get on YouTube and type in RC Airplane crashes or anything of that nature and watch some of the big boys smack $2K, $3K, $5,000,. HELL $25,000!!! airplanes! You'll realize that it's NOT a "personal" thing when you turn a perfectly good flying airplane into fireplace kindling! These big boys and their big buck toys do the same thing ALL THE TIME!
This doesn't change the fact that you lost one, it changes the concept that you probably lost $100and change. It like this,flying your beater andcalculatingthat out in dollars, that's equal toan upscale dinner date with the GF or Old Lady! Hell, think of it this way, a freak'n bag of popcorn, two drinks and 2 movie tickets are going to set you back $50.00! You'll get a helluva lot more enjoyment than 120 minutes at a theater and you don't have to shower up and put on foo foo to go flying (though I bet there are somefoo foo guysat some fields).
Watch some other guys reconfigure their planes on YouTube. It helps somewhatto soften the loss.
Works for me. Hell, I probably am half the hits on those siteswith as many as I've buried then got on the internet to see who else is a fool other than me. THEYlost 5 house payments on a balsa and plastic airplane. Ilost a dinner date.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:57 AM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

So one day I'm huckin my 1/3rd scale Extra 260, all composite airframe, DA-150, all Hitec HV digitals and man I'm havin a great time. When all of a sudden I realize that somone is smellin real good and coming up behind me! Then all of a sudden Scarlett Johansson steps along side of me dressed only in a skimpy Fredric's of Hollywood bra and thong and says; "Hey big guy, if you'll put that control box thingy down right now, we can go play...just you and me behind the clubhouse." Needless to say the plane was a total wreck in about 2 seconds but somehow I managed to pick up the pieces and move on!

Happy Flying!

Loopman

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15367.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	1690169  
Old 11-23-2011, 08:15 AM
brockettman

When I head to the field for a day of flying I certainly don't intend on crashing... However, (I don't keep a trash bag in the plane), I do know that there is a possibility of damage or even destruction of any plane on any day.

I suppose it's easier to lose an airframe that you only have a couple of hundred dollars and a few hours of time into, compared to a labor of love with hundreds of hours and who knows how much invested.

As for overcoming depression, I guess it's all about the frame of mind you have while enjoying the challenge of the hobby. I get pretty aggravated when I do something stupid that caused the crash, but hey, as was said before, learn from your mistakes and keep moving forward. You will have an opportunity to reinforce/repair your plane or even get a nice shiny new one, plus you have a great story to tell of what a great bird she was and how she went in!

What goes up, must come down whether its upright on it's wheels or augerd in out in the north forty...

It is definitely a bummer to lose a plane, but the adrenaline rush of a maiden flight or the satisfaction of a perfect landing sure do outweigh the feelings of loosing one!

Keep your chin up, and FLY ON!
Old 11-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

I read somewhere that this guy stuffs a plastic garbage bag into every model he builds, now that is admitting defeat before you get started! Just as well buy a bucket full of gremlins and stuff them in as well. I do agree with the other posters here (not the moderator because he banished my most awesome post of Scarlett Johansson, go figure!) in that you cannot dwell on the loss. If possible pick the pieces (as many as you can) so you can be a responsible environment friendly RCer. There are more where the one that crashed came from but that depends on you economic position. Go ahead and name the plane, paint it up nice and prettym what the hey! If you crash so what. When I first started I gained the nickname "Shredder" because I put so many planes through the farmers barbed wire fences!

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 11-23-2011, 08:27 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: pmerritt
I tell you the BEST therapy I've found. I go through the same low down feeling when one becomes a plow instead of a plane. Here are a few rules first and foremost:

2. NEVER give it a name
4. NEVER go flying without a decent heavy duty trash bag

ALL planes have an expiration date (just like life, we don't always know when that will be) Buy you some beaters, crash the hell out of them and go buy some more beaters and do that for the first few years. Once you've lost one, bag it up, assess the possibiity of rebuilding. If it's a loss, salvage what you can and get the rest in the trash can as soon as possible (out of sight - out of mind syndrome). THEN...the BEST CURE OF ALL....get on YouTube and type in RC Airplane crashes or anything of that nature and watch some of the big boys smack $2K, $3K, $5,000,. HELL $25,000!!! airplanes! You'll realize that it's NOT a ''personal'' thing when you turn a perfectly good flying airplane into fireplace kindling! These big boys and their big buck toys do the same thing ALL THE TIME!
This doesn't change the fact that you lost one, it changes the concept that you probably lost $100 and change. It like this, flying your beater and calculating that out in dollars, that's equal to an upscale dinner date with the GF or Old Lady! Hell, think of it this way, a freak'n bag of popcorn, two drinks and 2 movie tickets are going to set you back $50.00! You'll get a helluva lot more enjoyment than 120 minutes at a theater and you don't have to shower up and put on foo foo to go flying (though I bet there are some foo foo guys at some fields). Watch some other guys reconfigure their planes on YouTube. It helps somewhat to soften the loss. Works for me. Hell, I probably am half the hits on those sites with as many as I've buried then got on the internet to see who else is a fool other than me. THEY lost 5 house payments on a balsa and plastic airplane. I lost a dinner date.
Understand, but.. its all relative based on what we can each afford. Whats a house payment for you or me is nothing more than disposable income to another. I have a couple in the 2-3K range, and I'm danged careful about how I build and fly them because its at the limit of what I can afford for a hobby, but will full understanding they could immediately depreciate to firewood. [:@] Thats an expense I'm willing to take to be able to fly larger planes. No painting or such? Thats part of the fun of the hobby. Don't discourage the noobs with 'don't do this..' and such, impart the understanding of fly what you can afford and learn to fix it, accept that crashes happen, and don't be afraid to make your plane look different from all the other clones at the field.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:01 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RCER88

EVERY plane has an expiration date. The problem is we don't know that date. The last crash I had was a spectacular midair I was laughing before all the pieces finished falling. The plane was a totaled but oh well. Even the engine was broken. ASP61FS That hurt but I accepted the loss.

I try to determine the cause. Learn from it and move on. I see guys get all upset. Those people are in the wrong ''HOBBY'', **** happens.

Proper setup, preflights and battery care can prevent many crashes. I learned that years ago!!!

If you do not learn from the crash then you are destined to repeat. Learning from the mistakes and accepting the fact it happened will make you a better pilot.

You have to be able to ''crash reconstruct''. In twenty plus years I have only had one crash that I was not completely sure of the problem. I wrote that one off to pilot error. Every other crash I was able to determine the cause. Most were ''pilot error'' by being completely honest with myself not playing the ''blame game''. Some were obvious failures (parts breaking in flight).

That is important: To learn form your crash. Sometimes you can also learn from an "almost crash". Two weeks ago I was at the club, had the Telemaster in the air, and I noticed it acted a bit goofy when turning at the far end after take off, then again next turn. Then I realized my antenna was still lowered.

Have to admit, I was lucky not to crash. On the other hand, wow, what a range! Unfortunately my buddy was unloading his models so he did not see the antenna low either. Did this ever happen before NO.

We have to remember Inspector Custeau. They said he never did the same mistake twice, he always made new mistakes... Same applies to us:-)

Gerry
Old 11-23-2011, 09:27 AM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: pmerritt

2. NEVER give it a name
Too many people here say, "Don't fall in love the plane." I disagree. I'm relatively new to the air area of this hobby (maybe 2-3 years), but I've been in long enough to have crashed a few planes. My experience has been, treat the plane like a dog. Love it and have fun with it while you have it. Eventually it will die. When it does, mourn the loss and move on.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:54 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

My first crash was devastating, it was my only plane at that time so it meant no more flying for a while, until I got a replacement.
I even thought this hobby was not for me, (Im not good enough, I will never learn, Im too old for this) Is like when your girlfriend rejects you.
You just have to turn the page and go to the next chapter.
I now have seven planes RTF at all times, I always take at least 2 to the field every time I go, for just in case.
Now it has being a while since I crash but I know for sure it is comming.
As for the girlfriend......... what goes around comes around
Old 11-23-2011, 10:24 AM
apollodj

This is my first season flying. Was doing pretty well most of the season. Was told early on by other members of the club; "... it's not if you crash, it's when". They were right. Bummed me out for awhile until I saw how easy the repairs can be. (Sometimes) Anyway, I fly with fewer butterflies now.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:51 AM
BlindObject
My Feedback: (11)

This is a great thread, and as a car guy (saw this thread on homepage) I understand that horrible feeling after a crash. regardless wether my trucks are 100x tougher than helis or planes, crashing them always sinks my stomach at the very moment I notice it didnt quite survive it. the walk to it seems to be 100 yards when its barely 20 feet. within that 20 feet my brain seems to frabicate theories and causes to what happened or what exactly is broken. (i.e.: "hmm, the front left wheel is dislocated, did I brake the A arm? shock? did i bent the pin? do i have these parts in my car????" ) but after my mere 6 years of on and off driving I have learned that **it happens and the worst the crash will give me is less driving time, and more time on ebay. Thats probably what bothers me the most, a beautiful day, with no RCs to play with. I have finally realized that these things required much patience and money, with money being the least of my worries. you cant rush anything. Luckily with the surface part of the hobbie is that I can invest money into making it more durable, but it will never be unbreakable. nowadays I have two models, my main Revo 3.3 converted to BL, and my back up crt.5 extended and converted to BL as well. I cant even imagine the heart brake of your beautiful and expensive flying machines being turned into pieces. especially the fact that you cant simply get parts, or replace them. i can definetely agree on "dont fall in love" rules, but it doesnt mean that you cant love it, because if i didnt love my cars, i wouldnt bother rebulding them, or even less caring about driving them much. (btw sorry about this block of text, im on my phone.)
Old 11-23-2011, 11:08 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Loopman

I read somewhere that this guy stuffs a plastic garbage bag into every model he builds, now that is admitting defeat before you get started! Just as well buy a bucket full of gremlins and stuff them i[/b][/i]n as well. I do agree with the other posters here (not the moderator because he banished my most awesome post of Scarlett Johansson, go figure! ( Sorry about that... Da Mod) in that you cannot dwell on the loss. If possible pick the pieces (as many as you can) so you can be a responsible environment friendly RCer. There are more where the one that crashed came from but that depends on you economic position. Go ahead and name the plane, paint it up nice and prettym what the hey! If you crash so what. When I first started I gained the nickname ''Shredder'' because I put so many planes through the farmers barbed wire fences!

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 11-23-2011, 11:22 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only crash to worry about are those that do harm to others and property. You are liable for both events.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:28 AM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

An old timer once told me, "If you aren't prepared to lose it, then leave it at home." I took him at his word.....I have several planes that I have never flown.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:37 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: apollodj

This is my first season flying. Was doing pretty well most of the season. Was told early on by other members of the club; ''... it's not if you crash, it's when''. They were right. Bummed me out for awhile until I saw how easy the repairs can be. (Sometimes) Anyway, I fly with fewer butterflies now.

Good luck, and remember: Gravity might seem weak, but it is persistent...

Gerry
Old 11-23-2011, 12:16 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Sure it sucks................. Don't put your life savings in them. The time i put in building is my therapy.

Any crash that does not hurt anyone and I can walk away from doesn't bother me much. I can always made another one.

IF, one day I can't handle it, i'll build plastic models or golf.

Steve
Old 11-23-2011, 12:30 PM
michaelj878
My Feedback: (6)

an empty rack in the hangar to be filled!!!!!!!!! NOT SO BAD
Old 11-23-2011, 12:37 PM
carrellh

Depression is a serious condition. If it truly is depression, versus being upset, this may be the wrong hobby.

It has been repeated over and over but I think the concept of 'do not be overly concerned about the equipment' really does apply. Airplanes are just stuff. Stuff can be replaced.

I limit my models to 40 and 60 size sport planes to keep the hobby somewhat affordable because I am not willing to lose airframes that cost much over $200. My kit built models cost more, in money and time, and I accept the fact that they can crash just as quickly as an inexpensive ARF.

So far; Every crash has been my fault, over-controlling or losing contact with the sticks while trying to land. Every time I got in trouble I was too low and too slow for my instructor to recover the plane. I get a little annoyed at myself when I crash, but the only way to learn is to analyze what went wrong and keep trying to do better.

Carrell
Old 11-23-2011, 12:39 PM
harve28

I had a friend that every time he came to the field his planes were dead the rx battery that is after replacing batteries and a month later come to find out his son was turning them on while loading them. When approached he said that he done this so he wouldn't crash lol. I rather fly the way i want knowing i might crash than to fly cautious and take it back home in one piece.

Build to fly not crash'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2011, 12:52 PM
joeheren
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Happy Face trashbags?

Seriously there used to be a trainer called US Aircore or maybe US Aircorp. And other fairly crashproof planes. They are no longer availble but maybe on E-Bay.

I may have one, not sure if I sold it or not.

yup u.s. aircore (i think) made of plastic coated cardboard. i have one. rubber bands on the wing as well as the wheels. flown so much the colors and name on it are almost gone! the fuel ate that stuff off first year of flying. i still let ppl train on it. it all most takes off and lands by itself.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:07 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: ScottMcM

An old timer once told me, "If you aren't prepared to lose it, then leave it at home." I took him at his word.....I have several planes that I have never flown.
That is something Id never do, airplanes are meant to fly, there is no hangar queen in my garage
Old 11-23-2011, 01:30 PM
rmsingh

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

ORIGINAL: ScottMcM

That is something Id never do, airplanes are meant to fly, there is no hangar queen in my garage
Agreed, the beaters usually last longer than the queens, and you have more fun with them!
Old 11-23-2011, 01:32 PM
speedracer55

THey always say never fall in love with youre airplane
Old 11-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Wagon1

ORIGINAL: flycatch

The only crash to worry about are those that do harm to others and property. You are liable for both events.
flycatch got it. If no one is hurt...it's good news. No cops to call, no paperwork to fill out, no 911 call.

Relax, learn from it, build the next one on your list. (you know.....THE list)
Old 11-23-2011, 06:24 PM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

#! always have 2 or 3 planes in the hanger
#2 Always have a plane on the board
#3 always have a plane or 2 under the bench in the box
# 4 Always have a jar, hidden, stashed with money and stuff it whenever you can
Old 11-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

but what if you crash a really expensive turbine jet?

That would be REALLY depressing................

Jackjet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.