Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I Dont Have IT

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I Dont Have IT

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 08:07 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: I Dont Have IT

ORIGINAL: AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: 378
Find a new instructor. The rudder is key for making smooth turns, and the throttle is not a ''set and forget'' switch. Any instructor who says not to touch the throttle or rudder is one who needs to stop instructing.
Well not touch it on my early flights. Not as a regular flying practice Im sure.
The things you do on your early flights will shape how you fly the rest of the time you're in this hobby. First thing I ever flew was a toy grade three channel heli, when I got my Axe CX I had to break myself of "Right thumb steers", and I only logged an hour or so on the 3CH.

All four controls are vital to controlling a plane. Ignoring two of them is going to cause issues, as you have found out. You're still at a point where you can learn the right way without too much hassle, so don't give up. Get another plane built, get out there, find an instructor that buddy boxes and insists on using the rudder and throttle after takeoff, and get some stick time.

Maybe I cant fly...... but can build and cover ..... the old dudes airworthiness approved my first one.
Anyone with depth perception and the manual dexterity required to use an xBox controller can fly an RC aircraft. It just takes time to learn how to do so. A small indoor craft of some description, four channels to match your glow trainer, will go a LONG way in that regard, as you can crash those and not destroy them. I've crashed my Axe CX more times than I care to count, but because it's so damn small and light I just set it back on it's skids and throttle up. Back up into the air it goes. Doesn't matter what it hit on the way down. Same thing applies to the Parkzone aircraft.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:29 AM
AugerDawger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Sir you have indeed corrected me... I cannot teach you a thing... because you already know it all.

You can point the finger around, but just like the NTSB reports, the PIC is solely responsible. Learn it, live it. That is why they call it the school of hard knocks. You learned an invaluable lesson that may pay off ten fold in other aspects of your life.
Please tell ohrich and wiseair ace
What valuable lesson did I learnto pay off in my life ?
So you can't verbalize the valuable lesson ?

Or does it amount to RC flying results in crashes which depending on the plane can be expensive ?

Great wisdom there Lindberg.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:35 AM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: lopflyers
Come on man, what is one plane lost? I have crashed many and I am still here, flying and trying to to crash anymore .
Stop whining and get another plane and go up again. All of us have being there and done that
Whyform your "help"as apersonal attack ?

You lost planes under your own experience.

I lost planes under someone elses experience who was placed there by the organization with modern technology existing to prevent such an occurance under reasonable cicumstances an dit happened within 3 minutes.

How do Iprevent that again....just show up with VISAin hand and blind faith it with another club

or find another club and set instructional demands from the bottom up?......that is not going to go over well.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:44 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Come on man, what is one plane lost? I have crashed many and I am still here, flying and trying to to crash anymore .
Stop whining and get another plane and go up again. All of us have being there and done that
+1
Old 01-23-2012, 03:47 AM
on_your_six

OK then, you asked for it... when life throws you trouble, don't be a whiny cry-baby. No matter how bad you have it, someone else has had worse.

Sir you have indeed corrected me... I cannot teach you a thing... because you already know it all.
You can point the finger around, but just like the NTSB reports, the PIC is solely responsible. Learn it, live it. That is why they call it the school of hard knocks. You learned an invaluable lesson that may pay off ten fold in other aspects of your life.
Please tell oh rich and wise air ace
What valuable lesson did I learn to pay off in my life ?
So you can't verbalize the valuable lesson ?
Or does it amount to RC flying results in crashes which depending on the plane can be expensive ?
Great wisdom there Lindberg.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:19 AM
AugerDawger

OK then, you asked for it... when life throws you trouble, don't be a whiny cry-baby. No matter how bad you have it, someone else has had worse.

Wow this is sage.

When does posting in a forum seeking direction become being a whiney crybaby.

Please post my whiney crybaby statement from this thread.

I think this is just like your misplaced absolutist tagent that this was about an inability to fully capitialize my involvement in the hobby beyonda first crash.....you dont anything about me or my finances or my aviation experience.

Soundslikea wanna be elitestby virtue ofattempts to demostrate worth byexpenditures.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:05 AM
on_your_six

You know something cry-baby...

I once crashed two trainers on the same day...(one was even the instructor's fault) know what I did. I went home and glued them back together and was back at the field the next day.

I did not go looking for another instructor or blame anyone... I got back on the saddle and continued training. That instructor has turned into a pretty good friend of mine. I would call my parents and tell my 80yo mom: "airplane go boom", we would have a laugh and I would go do it again. I have not made one of those calls in a while. I learned from my mistakes... I know a crash is coming.

Sure I wanna be an elite flier... I don't have the time or the money... I recognize that.... but I am a pretty durn good RC pilot and you are not. I don't think you have the mental fortitude for it.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:23 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whyform your "help"as apersonal attack ?

You lost planes under your own experience.

I lost planes under someone elses experience who was placed there by the organization with modern technology existing to prevent such an occurance under reasonable cicumstances an dit happened within 3 minutes.

How do Iprevent that again....just show up with VISAin hand and blind faith it with another club

or find another club and set instructional demands from the bottom up?......that is not going to go over well.

Go buy a Boat ... With your attitude you'll always blame someone else for your short fallings. Met a lot of guys like you ...It's never their fault the transmitter Glitched ... I got Hit ... The wind must of taken it. A gust of wind did it, my instructer .... on and on and on Never ending Whineing ... Sorry for your loss but if your going to cry over it and not put it behind you, you'll never make it in this hobby, RC planes just aren't fo you ... Just think about it before you respond. A lot of good eople have tried to give you some very good advise ... you just refuse to listen. Listening to others and spending your hard earned money is how you progress in this hobby. The learning curve is as steep as you want to make it. The first lesson should be attitude and not one that blames everyone else for your troubles. Good luck to you, hope ya d make it some day. If you do it can be a really rewarding experiance . BUY, BY, BYE.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:13 AM
BGCombs
My Feedback: (24)

Auger,

I think you will find lots of folks on these forums will go above and beyond to help beginners. You will also find that it's better to take every post here with a grain of salt and move on. I'll be glad to help you if you are willing to come to our field. If you don't like me, we have four more instructors who will also help you.

If will post your location, you will probably find there are several people near you who will offer to help. That's why most on here list where they are in their profile. It's a good way to meet new people and gain knowledge and experience. Now, if you just want to carry on an arguement, you will definitely find many here to engage you. Why not post up your location, and ask for a hand?

One of the most rewarding aspects of this hobby for me is helping others learn to fly. I think many here will agree. Let someone give you a hand. You will really enjoy it...
Old 01-23-2012, 07:06 AM
AugerDawger

I am a pretty durn good RC pilot and you are not. I don't think you have the mental fortitude for it.
You come across like a punk.

Is it justyour internets machismo?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:13 AM
AugerDawger

[quote]ORIGINAL: HoundDog

With your attitude you'll always blame someone else for your short fallings. Met a lot of guys like you ...It's never their fault the transmitter Glitched ... I got Hit ... The wind must of taken it. A gust of wind did it, my instructer .... on and on and on Never ending Whineing ... Sorry for your loss but if your going to cry over it and not put it behind you, you'll never make it in this hobby, RC planes just aren't fo you ... Just think about it before you respond.
Actually no I blamed myself repeatedly and sought advice as to how to properly vet an instructor after following this board and the AMA guidelines previously how can I take further ownership to not prevent the loss of my investment within minutes

My plane was never range checked prior to flght.

My plane was flown aerobatically on its 2nd lap around the field on its maiden flight with no inspection post- maiden.

A buddy box could have presented this....it is encumbant upon the student to REQUESTit.

All things I learn post event...next time I will demand a range check, demand we madien then land and do another air worthiness and not without the BB.

Step out side of your smarmy-ness.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:15 AM
Live Wire

I am a pretty durn good RC pilot and you are not. I don't think you have the mental fortitude for it.

Is it just your internets machismo ?
I am beginning to see why your instructor did not do any thing. You do need help but not with RC I give up
Old 01-23-2012, 07:16 AM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: BGCombs

Auger,

I think you will find lots of folks on these forums will go above and beyond to help beginners. You will also find that it's better to take every post here with a grain of salt and move on. I'll be glad to help you if you are willing to come to our field. If you don't like me, we have four more instructors who will also help you.

If will post your location, you will probably find there are several people near you who will offer to help. That's why most on here list where they are in their profile. It's a good way to meet new people and gain knowledge and experience. Now, if you just want to carry on an arguement, you will definitely find many here to engage you. Why not post up your location, and ask for a hand?

One of the most rewarding aspects of this hobby for me is helping others learn to fly. I think many here will agree. Let someone give you a hand. You will really enjoy it...

You're a good man, I'll bet a Southron.

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:17 AM
BGCombs

Is it justyour internets machismo?
Auger, c'mon now. You posted here to tell of your first flight experience. We all have been there on the maiden flight and first crash. Why provoke the folks who are trying to help you? Let it go, and let's go flying!

I've offered to help. If you are not close to me, tell us where you are, and I'll bet there is someone nearby who would give you a hand. Otherwise, you are going to quickly find yourself labelled by all in general as a troll, and from there my friend you are on your own....

Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 AM
AugerDawger

I am out...you win.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:25 AM
BGCombs

Old 01-23-2012, 07:34 AM
tryingagain

Wow! One pirahna comes in a takes a bite and the rest of the school starts a feeding frenzy. I didn't see anyone whining I saw someone discouraged because his FIRST FLIGHT, did not go quite the way he had imagined it should. Now we have seers and prophets who have decided (after one flight) he should quit. I think you should go join his club, you would have a common attitude. Come on guys. The thing I have always appreciated about most RC folk is they are encouraging, supportive and understanding. They have been there done that and understand one crash is nothing to worry about. You pick yourself (and the pieces) up, dust yourself off. laugh a little and go again.
If our club had chased off rookies the way you are trying I would be short some good friends.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:58 AM
DanMN

Auger, I have read most of this thread. As mentioned numerous times, sounds like you had an instructor and a club that didn't start you off well. That sucks. Please purchase another trainer and assemble it. Take it to another field and request what you want from the instructor, plane inspection, buddy box, etc. Take what you learned from your prior experience and fix the issues you had. The operative word here is "experience". As mentioned numerouse time in this thread, gravity will have it's way with planes, helis, other flying objects that attempt to defy the law of gravity. It is a little different that you keep on flaming people here. I know it sounds like some people have been a little rough on you, but these people more than likely crashed their first plane and either fixed it that night, or went out and purchased what they needed to get another plane up quickly. I personally asked an instructor to maiden my first trainer when there were 15 MPH winds. He reluctantly did it, after I told him that if it crashed, I wouldn't consider it his fault. Luckily he didn't crash it, but I did about a month later after my solo. I have crashed to many planes to mention since that time. I have only trash canned two of them. The others I fixed.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:58 AM
on_your_six

A newbe should also go to the field during the scheduled training sessions without a plane. Watch, listen and learn while others make mistakes. Try to learn from their mistakes. Don't be in such a rush that you pick the only guy there as your instructor. Talk to some other new pilots and find out who is a good instructor... everyone is human... we all make mistakes... don't dwell on it. You might find that the one instructor that no one prefers might be the perfect fit for you. If they are careful, and talk you through tough times, and you get along... what more can you ask. No one I know of would try to wreck someones plane.

If no one got hurt and the balsa gods are still growing trees, all is right with the world.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:45 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: ES CONTROL

The best Instructor ? Is Your best friend !

Your best friend will buy and build your next plane if he crashes it.
I've made the mistake of assuming a newbie's plane was fine because I was told "it was previously flown". In the first flight the plane crashed when a linkage pulled out.

As an instructor I considered it MY responsibility to look over the plane and deem it flight worthy. I failed to do so in this instance.

I swallowed my pride and purchased a complete brand new setup for the newbie, even though he did not blame me for his plane's demise.

Bottom line: It need not be "your best friend", just a responsible instructor.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:51 AM
DanMN

Auger, another option which was brought up in this thread was to find a club that has club owned trainers. Our club does, and we use them all the time. This way, you can get stick time with out losing money if a crash occurs. I have only seen one club trainer crash before, and that was due to structural issues in the wing, not PIC issues. We also don't allow someone to solo with these planes. They are always flown with a buddy box if they are being used for training. I have used one of my personal trainers to buddy box with people that wanted stick time. The club you were at may have this capability or there could be people around that would want to help. Most beginners usually get bored with trainers after a period of time and give or sell them to other people who are starting out. Just a thought.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:47 AM
on_your_six

Before Your First RC Flight:

1. Check your budget. You need a plane, motor/engine, servos, Transmitter Tx, matched Receiver Rx, buddy box, batteries 6Volt and 12 Volt and others, fuel, glo sticks, electric starter, props. You will need tools and glue. Within you budget you should allow for a crash or two. It is also possible to loose the entire aircraft. Purchasing a simulator is an excellent idea. To this entire sum, add another 15-25% for unexpected extras. You should decide on a monthly budget for the hobby. Wait for the budgeted funding to become available. This is not a race. You will likely need an AMA card and pay a fee to join a local flying field. Choose one close to your house. If you have to drive for an hour, you will not go as often.

2. Selecting the Plane: Be sure you have chosen the correct type of training aircraft. Good examples, but not recommendations would be; Alpha 40, Apprentice, LT40. You are looking for a plane with upswept wings. This is called dihedral and required for a good beginning plane. Choose a Almost Ready to Fly ARF plane. Decide whether you want electric or nitro. Nitro planes tend to be a bit more expensive. Electric plane batteries are not cheap either. Do not waste time building and covering a masterpiece from sticks. Do not buy someone else's mistake off the internet unless you are being closely guided by another good RC pilot.

3. Before First Flight: Don't be in a rush to fly. Rushing is a big mistake. You need time on the simulator. This means taking off flying a rectangular pattern and landing. The more time you spend, the easier this will be. I would suggest a minimum of 500 takeoffs and landings. Spend time at the field getting to know the rules and some of the pilots. Spend some time getting to know who the instructors and the engine guys are and watch what they do. Bring the plane to the field for ground testing and absolutely no flying (it is all part of being patient). Have someone show you how to properly start and adjust the engine. Check the radios for correct servo movement. Connect and check the buddy box for correct servo movement. You are not to taxi the aircraft or do anything but run the engine for a while. Get familiar with the field's wind indicators and the pattern being flown. When you get home, correct any deficiencies no matter how small. Do not touch the engine needles. A small tug on all control surfaces to check to see if anything rattled loose.

4. Select a Flight Day: You want a calm day (no wind) with sunny or broken skies. Again don't be in a rush to fly. An overcast day will make it more difficult to determine the planes orientation. I like flying in the morning. If you fly in the afternoon do not fly within an hour of sunset as the planes tend to silhouette. If you cannot see the other airplanes clearly, don't fly. Make an appointment with the person you have chosen to be your flight instructor, don't just expect them to show up. Do not accept anyone but your choice. Make use of the buddy box... no buddy box, no flying. The instructor should make a final slow ground check on the plane checking for any problems mechanically or electrically and do a range check. The instructor should take the plane up with you at his side. Don't talk about anything but the current flying situation. The instructor will trim the instructor's radio so that the plane flies hands off at a low throttle setting. Land the plane and make sure that the buddy box is trimmed to the same settings. When the trainer switch is pulled, the servos should not jump. Make sure that the full elevator, full aileron and full rudder settings agree between the buddy box and the instructor radio. Stop if they do not. The instructor will takeoff and land the plane until you show competent control. The instructor should always announce when you can expect to be given control of the plane. When the instructor takes the plane away, he should announce it when it is safe to do so. Initially, the plane should be flown at "three mistakes high" altitude. Fly the plane even when you do not have control. You want to be flying a slow constant speed at the instructor's direction. Tell him if it is too fast for you. Tell him when you are having difficulty.

5. Fly the Pattern: By learning to fly a rectangular pattern you will learn everything you need to land. If you cannot fly a decent pattern you will not be landing anytime soon. Keep things straight and level. Up and down, right and left and quick movements are all signs you do not have good control. You need to fly a right to left pattern as well as a left to right pattern. The plane is never to go behind you for any reason. Now it is a matter of lowering the pattern, and flying the low pattern consistently. When that is achieved, you are ready for some landing practice.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:22 PM
DougB1

HEY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, when will this thread ever stop ? [&:] Hasn't this thread given this "PILOT" enough information for what he should decide what to do. We have been on here for a couple of weeks now and it seems like nothing has been resolved by the "PILOT" as what he is going to do. Sure looks like he has been playing us against each other and setting back enjoying the show. [:@]
Old 01-23-2012, 12:33 PM
DanMN

ORIGINAL: DougB1

HEY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, when will this thread ever stop ? [&:] Hasn't this thread given this ''PILOT'' enough information for what he should decide what to do. We have been on here for a couple of weeks now and it seems like nothing has been resolved by the ''PILOT'' as what he is going to do. Sure looks like he has been playing us against each other and setting back enjoying the show. [:@]
[X(] Tell me it isn't so! Hmmmm. Could it be?
Old 01-23-2012, 12:45 PM
overbored77

I agree Dougb1, but if anyone wants to enjoy the real show, head over to the local flying fields where most of us will be
flying our model airplanes. We may not agree on all the issues we see online but I think we can all agree that we enjoy what
we do for a hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.