Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Spectrum receivers

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Spectrum receivers

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 04:12 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spectrum receivers

Since I went to 2.4 I only have 3 receivers and batteries. two 9 channel and one 7 channel. I put short 2" extensions in them and labeled the ends with the channel number ... did the same with ends of the servos. Figure if a person has to plug in wing, flap, and gear servos why not all connections. All 3 receivers and battery packs have Velcro on them for quick removal and instillation. This way I figure I saved about two Grand  because I have over 25 planes from a .46 U-Can-Do to 100 and 125 size  nitro war birds and 87" G-64 powered P-47 and 87" ZDZ 80 Twin Yak 54. Try it it works well. Just remember to change the Transmitter to the proper plane. Spectrum Users will have to ReBind.  Another advantage U have only 3 battery packs to worry about.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:42 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You get what you pay for!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:00 PM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: mike31

You get what you pay for!..... If U Know what U are buying.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:14 PM
RacerPaul15
My Feedback: (40)

I use and sell the Orange 6 Channel Receiver's as well as the R100 Satellite Units.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/sea...emberID=184409

I have used them in a camera carrying Wild Hawk that I have flown to a spec in the sky and a Hobby Lobby Waco Bipe.

I am finishing a Seamaster .60 powered Amphibious that I will equp with a Orange 6 Channel and a Satellite.

I do test all units that I use and sell and have had no returns or problems once they are tested and shipped.

My 2 cents

Regards
Paul
http://paulshobbyhangar.blogspot.com...iverse_06.html

Old 05-19-2012, 03:33 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Orange receivers may be good. But I wouldn't trust them to anything but small and light-weight, foam planes. That way, minimal damage would be done to the plane if the receiver failed and the plane crashed. But I don't have any foam planes either. So, I'd never use knock-off receivers anyway.

I have very expensive planes and jets that I put a lot of work into. So, I equip my planes and jets with 2.4g Futaba equipment. I stick with what works for me ... Futaba.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:09 AM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

Sprectrum sucks. Discovered my first lock out and it wasnt with my FASST!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2012, 06:11 AM
levram1
My Feedback: (1)

Now that's a pretty bold statement!
Old 05-19-2012, 06:59 AM
SeamusG

Way to turn a word. So eloquent.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:59 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: jefflangton

Sprectrum sucks. Discovered my first lock out and it wasnt with my FASST!!!!!!!
Now that you got that out, feel any better?
Old 05-19-2012, 11:02 AM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ATVAlliance

I have a couple of the cheap AR6200's I bought from oomodel. They look IDENTICAL to the ''real deal''. Even down to the stickers on the back of them and their SAT recievers.

I cant say with certainty that they are clones...but assume so ...
If they are anything like the identical looking AR6200's that I got over here, I'd stay clear of them, mine almost cost me a plane from a patchy signal after getting less than about 100meters (or yards - near enough) from me - STUPID me forgot to do a range check first.
What I will say is that mine had flimsy aerial wire compared to my legit Specktrum receivers, and that was about the only difference, so at least there is something to look for re after market sellers.
All I see these knockoff's being good for is to help when setting up a new plane UNTIL the new QUALITY receiver arrive, never again will I use cheaper options for my RX, it's just not worth a plane and or heli IMO!. For me, the OEM AR600 full range works great in my nitro Yak54, and saves me about 1/4-1/3rd over the AR6210 option.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:05 AM
SeamusG

Kiwi - I've noticed that the Spektrum antennae are, at best, fragile. What do others do to protect those little sprouts when you install the Rx and remote?

TIA
Old 05-19-2012, 11:17 AM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnGilmore

Kiwi - I've noticed that the Spektrum antennae are, at best, fragile. What do others do to protect those little sprouts when you install the Rx and remote?

TIA
The OEM AR6200 that I have had in my Nitro heli for 2 years are still fine, so I must say I'm not sure what your meaning. To add to what I posted above, where the OEM antenna wires hold their shape and are kinds stiff, the clone was not and would bend over a day as it could not support it's own weight.
As for protection, the horizon hobby vids on youtube show their setups with small plastic tubes over the antenna wires - I have not seen the need for them yet.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:50 PM
CGRetired

TIA
I coat the antenna with a bit of epoxy then cover them with a short lengt (half inch or so) of shrink tubing and let it all set. I've done thatg with all of my 2.4GHz antennae and it works just fine.

CGr.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:36 PM
SeamusG

Thx CG
Old 05-19-2012, 06:58 PM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

TIA
I coat the antenna with a bit of epoxy then cover them with a short lengt (half inch or so) of shrink tubing and let it all set. I've done thatg with all of my 2.4GHz antennae and it works just fine.

CGr.
Shame ya gota pay good money and have to modify Spectrum Recievers so they don't break ... Never used to have all these problems with 72 Mhz receivers or a good quality NAME BRAND radio.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:06 PM
SeamusG

Would you just shut your "fingers"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2012, 09:01 PM
dmoody19
My Feedback: (24)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Might be a knock off and then again maybe not. Why so cheap? Listen guys the name brand receivers cost no more to build than say the orange ones. The difference is in the markup. All the major brands make something like 800 to 1500 percent profit over the cost of making their receivers, The orange are great receivers. Ido use the 6 channel as well but not in expensive planes. However in the past to prove a point I have flown a 1500 dollar warbird with orange 7 channel receivers. WHen comparing 6 to 6 both have issues for wome firmware reason. Just because it doesn't cost as much does NOT mean it is junk. The original mfg's just mark up to whatever point they think they can get and I havve to believe they (the big four at least) get together and set prices so that they are all comparable to each other in receiver costs. THose circuit boards might have 3 dollars worth of parts in them..... MAYBE... I used to have issues in the outboard motor world as well due to cost of electronics. (powerpacks). Once I had a local electrician that I knew well take one apart and attempt to fix for me. COme to find out that that power pack thta cost well over 400 dollars actually had a total of .89 cents worth of parts inside the rubberized casing. 89 cents guys. Talk about a 4000 percent profit. THat is what we have her as well. If you qiestion the orange receivers but cannot afford spektrum then you have the choice of going orange OR..... NOTFLYING... FOr me I choose orange. One last thing.... THESATTELLITENEVERINCREASESRANGEONARECEIVER.... NEVER.. All it does is help lovk down the signal but without extending the range.... Most folks I speak with do not know this. If you do know this speak up and help some of us save some cash for another plane etc... Others have issues with Hobby King and I too do not like them. THey suck at customer service but they are a company that actually is improving. WIth the added warehouse in the U.S. things are beginning to look up. Anyway, don't mistake a person who is mad at the distributor with the actual receiver, that is a nice receiver... Rambling now... Just try one and then go flying... :-)
Old 05-19-2012, 09:04 PM
dmoody19
My Feedback: (24)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

buying spektrum keeps dollars in the U.S.???? Ithink not since they all go to Japan...... I'm just sayin... lol
Personally Iuse my Airtronocs SD-10G for my best planes but it is hard on the wallet to buy a hundred dollar 6 channel receiver to get the best reception and 150 for a 10 channel one. I use a DX-8 for the rest with mostly orange receivers. Iused teh nice DSMX 8 channel that came with my radio and the second free one that came with it for a while last year.... That receiver lasted one flight and lost signal and to this day the plane is in la laaaaa land in a Florida swamp that will not let me see where it went down :-(. So.... just because you have a 150 dollar receiver does not mean it was any better than the 7 dollar one that still flys after about two years and a hundred flights..........

Old 05-20-2012, 02:48 AM
CGRetired

As usual, radio threads always seem to go to this. Sorry, guys, but it's closed down.

CGr.