Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need help with a foamy

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need help with a foamy

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 02:43 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need help with a foamy

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go

I need / want a small portable aircraft. My life has gotten very busy, and I haven't had a single chance to fly this year yet. I am not in any way enamored with foam aircraft, but I don't see anything so far in wood frame in the same approximate size to be able to take out with me. I am looking for input regarding the foam type, and if there are good battery alternatives to the one suggested at ~ $50, good for a 7 min. flight. I am not familiar with electrics, just one that I had several years ago that I was more than disappointed in for many reasons. I just would like a quick discussion with people of any experience with this stuff, to get my mind with it. I don't need a trainer, I own my own field so space isn't an issue (check profile for pictures and models). I am just looking for something that I can pickup from my shop and walk to the field and fly in the small instances where I have 20 - 30 minutes. If you know of any frame built rather than foam, let me know of your experience as I am not stuck on foam. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:31 AM
dignlivn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need help with a foamy

Bingo

An electric Stik might fit your requirements.

Bob
Old 07-19-2012, 04:04 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another is the Corvalis, although it isn't $50.00, it is pretty nice. It has a 57" wingspan though, if you can consider that portable. I have one but have not yet flown it. There is a review with a video here on RCU. Looks like a nice one.

I also have a Great Planes Seawind which I have flown and it is also very nice. It's a float plane, but you can get it airborne quickly on grass.

CGr.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:32 AM
Sherv

These are great options and I know from word of mouth they are great.

Fast-

Radjet 800mm from HK. Batteries are cheap too from HK but you need a lipo balancing charger
It uses epo foam so it is durable and with a careful hand and a blow drier you can make epo bounce back or if your summers are hot then leave the plane out on the deck and it will bounce back into shape.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_PNF_.html

Glider -
This plane can go 60mph on the stock battery and do aerobatics plus I get 10-15min run time per battery.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16568

need esc (30amp), batteries, and 4 9g servos for this plane but those dont cost much on hks website. Also lipo balancing charger.

3d -
An Edge 540 800mm

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_PNF_.html

Regardless of what plane you buy from what ever company, I suggest you buy your charger and batteries from hobbyking and save a huge amount of money. HK Turnigy batteries are great, I have 8 3s 800mAh, 4 3s 2200 mAh, 8 2s 5000 mAh, and 4 4s 3200 mAh turnigy batteries and only 2 of them puffed because I was drawing more power than they were rated for (oooops) but now I have a watt meter to check the Amps my setups are pulling to prevent that from happening again.
I had a 3rd one puff too (2s 5000) but that was because my Savage Flux flew into a tree sideways (battery compartment) at full speed.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:51 AM
Charlie P.

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How small? I bought a GP F-86 Saber (15" EDF) and it is easy to pack along in the box it comes in. The flight packs charge quickly from the car lighter plug.

A little hotspeedwise and not entry level, but it does fly well on windless days. Pretty frantic in any wind to speak of unfortunately. But it sure has handy going for it. No prop to strike, no gear (hand launch & skid in) and looks great in the air. A bit difficult to determine attitude (small & all one color top vs. bottom).
Old 07-19-2012, 06:36 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

E-flite mini ultra stick. It really light on the wing (balsa construction) and can take off in about 6 feet off of concrete and can land in about twice that. Obviously you can open it up and fly big patterns if you want to but it's small enough and maneuverable enough to be fun in a tight space of maybe 3 acres or so. I don't know how well it would handle being landed in tall grass with the balsa construction, but if you have a flat area to set it down in I think you'll like it. I test flew one a while back for a guy and absolutely fell in love with it.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:18 AM
DenverJayhawk

for 3D, i'd recommend a DW Foamies Fusion model. EPP fuse with depron wings. Retains the clean, crisp flying nature of depron with the durability to handle the crashes because of the EPP fuse.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:00 AM
brandtair.nl

I think the mutiplex merlin is the right one if you want not a trainer and want that it is easy to take with you.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:53 AM
Sherv

I found the merlin to be fun but wayyyyyyy too fast and erratic on 3s. It slicers through the air so well. I had a problem where the plastic tabs just arent strong enough to keep the wings on... I should have glued the wings on but alas that plane is gone after the wing flew off and became a missile. Almost hit someone with it O.o
Old 07-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Seamus OLeprosy

Launched today could be the answer to all your questions
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._EPO_PNF_.html

Old 07-23-2012, 12:09 PM
ATVAlliance

I vote for the MUS as already been suggested here.  I flew the dickens out of mine...then put a set of floats on it and now have a nice little float plane that will only be used for that purpose from now on.

Also...the eFlight Cap232 profile is an AWESOME small balsa/covering plane that can be put together on the cheap.  I put lights on mine and fly it quite a bit day and night.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:28 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like to build... Pat has some beautiful frame built parkflyers
http://patscustom-models.com/