Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for those new to RC Flight

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Recommendations for those new to RC Flight

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 11:30 PM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Say what you like, and praised be the technology that prevents having to learn, but if I'm going to build and fly, it's going first to be glow powered, it's going to be balsa and ply, and it will probably take a prang or two before it looks too ratty and forces me to give up and retire it. But maybe it's because of the flyers I associated with when I first started RC. Names that probably wouldn't mean anything on these groups, but names that for the most part well known and respected, before 1940. I haven't had that many RC kits, might have been half a dozen, out of the more than 30 that I've had, the rest were either plans or scratch my own. Built a lot of the old comet printwood kits, didn't take many before I soured on Guillows and their hard,heavy wood. Probably had more than 70 HLG, still my first love, just tore up my shoulders running a certain production machine and can't throw them anymore. But I've never had foamies, never will. They may bring in more "flyers", but they don't mean modelers. The only sure thing is continuing to use what I know of model building is going to bring the term "ludite", which I can very safely ignore.
Rich.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:30 PM
DutchRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there peoples..
As this is my first post here: I'm Roeland.. Live in the Netherlands.. And have been building + flying model airplanes for about 6 years. I've flown about 75-isch different planes..

Now offcourse I've had my first-flights as well, but well.. I actually did Every wrong My first plane was a self-build cardboard plane.. Somehow it held out for 4 flights..
Then I went and got myself a nice looking Multiplex Gemini (bi-plane). Great choice as a starter huh? Nope.. Not at all ofcourse.. I didn't know any better.. Despite that, I still have that plane, and it is in pristine condition..

BUT! My start in the RC flyig universe is far from ideal.. Nowdays I train quite a number of people starting in this hobby.. And while doing so, my foremost consideration is: how will this student have the most confidence inspiring experiance. Massive, plane destroying crashes in first flights have turned manny a beginner away from flying at all.. Right?

Okee.. I see a few people in this topic 'forgetting' that things can evolve.. The 'best beginner plane' of yesteryear isn't the best anymore today.
I allways advice people to get a MPX EasyStar / Wild Hawk / Bixler / etc..
The shaft bending / motormount breaking motor front is not ideal for a beginner..
That is not to say one cannot be a succesfull beginner with a traditional trainer.. You'll just have less of a chance.

About gyro / stabeliser (not the same thing) assisted planes: they have their place.. they are confidence inspiring.. But if one thinks he / she can fly after flying those.. He/she would be wrong.

About the 'you have to build, to be able to fly'.. Hmm I think it can help in understanding what is going on.. It would surely help in finding sollutions in pour performance.. But 'have to'.. Nope.. I know a few incredibly good pilots that can hardly install a control-link..
Old 12-30-2014, 05:58 PM
Greybeard1

About gyro / stabeliser (not the same thing) assisted planes: they have their place.. they are confidence inspiring.. But if one thinks he / she can fly after flying those.. He/she would be wrong.

My feeling is, they build a dependence faster than confidence, and that has to be broken before they can move on. Planes, for the most part, fly just about the same, it's just if you can keep your mind two mistakes ahead of your aircraft. Being dependent on some gadget won't build that.

About the 'you have to build, to be able to fly'.. Hmm I think it can help in understanding what is going on.. It would surely help in finding sollutions in pour performance.. But 'have to'.. Nope.. I know a few incredibly good pilots that can hardly install a control-link..

Agreed, But those that build can just look at a model, know it's going to fly badly, and don't have to think what has to be done to cure it. Theirs will rarely leave the ground with inherent problems, I don't know any builder that doesn't check and recheck while he's building, and won't have those problems. That's saying nothing for how we learned, nobody makes a plane that doesn't have at least one mistake. One with a little experience will have seen and corrected the mistakes in the building process. It just becomes an automatic part of the process, although it might be said to be the hard way. The easy way is to ask an experience builder, "What's wrong with this damned thing?" You might get and answer, or if he's a jerk, he'll say he doesn't know and not even look at it. You can't buy experience, you have to earn it.

Rich.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:11 PM
DutchRC

Yep.. We definately agree that is beneficial to know how planes are build. And be able to do a fast analysis.Not everyone is interested in the building part of it though.
Ehm well.. long story short: really understanding a piece of equipment (car/boat/plane/etc) helps..

Gyro's/stabelisers are great for FPV pilots.. It stabelises the image.. A few months back I bought an UMX Radian (super small glider with stabelisers).. I loved it But well.. mainly because I was glad to see how good this kind of technology has become..
A beginner will have quite a big 'what the h*ll!' experiance once he/she flies a normal plane after a stabelised plane.. True.. Like I said: I would not advice that as a trainer. I would advice a pusher/glider.

Roeland
Old 01-01-2015, 06:43 PM
L8cruiser

I just learned to fly a few months ago. I first used a simulator. I flew all the planes on the sim over and over again . I bought two second hand glow trianers. I also was given a Hobbyzone Super Cub electric plane. I used a buddy box with a instructor for about 4 flights. My confidence was good after using the sim for hours. I took out the three channel super cub and flew it solo. I unplugged the auto gyro. I didnt have any problems flying the cub and had a ball. Next I flew one of my slow glow trainers and had no problems. I did crash one after I got too far away and flying in 20 mph wind. Lesson learned. After the trainers I bought a easy stick 40. I have been having a lot of fun since learning how to fly. I contribute my quick sucess to the simulator and the electric super cub.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:07 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So, how do you teach someone to fly a helicopter? When I got into this hobby I had a mentor who taught me to fly gliders than moved on to powered flight. I never used a buddy box or flight simulator and naturally had my share of crashes. When it was time for rotary wings I used a book and trial and error.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:47 PM
GBLynden

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Greybeard1

My feeling is, they build a dependence faster than confidence, and that has to be broken before they can move on. Planes, for the most part, fly just about the same, it's just if you can keep your mind two mistakes ahead of your aircraft. Being dependent on some gadget won't build that.

Agreed, But those that build can just look at a model, know it's going to fly badly, and don't have to think what has to be done to cure it. Theirs will rarely leave the ground with inherent problems, I don't know any builder that doesn't check and recheck while he's building, and won't have those problems. That's saying nothing for how we learned, nobody makes a plane that doesn't have at least one mistake. One with a little experience will have seen and corrected the mistakes in the building process. It just becomes an automatic part of the process, although it might be said to be the hard way. The easy way is to ask an experience builder, "What's wrong with this damned thing?" You might get and answer, or if he's a jerk, he'll say he doesn't know and not even look at it. You can't buy experience, you have to earn it.

Rich.
Tell me, what are your thoughts on training wheels on a bicycle? Also, do kids have to master putting a bike together and repairing it before they are able to ride one?

GB
Old 01-03-2015, 06:06 AM
Greybeard1

Originally Posted by GBLynden
Tell me, what are your thoughts on training wheels on a bicycle? Also, do kids have to master putting a bike together and repairing it before they are able to ride one?

GB
Hm. Well, you just told me a lot of things, that maybe you didn't intend to. Training wheels didn't exist when I got my first bike, and it wasn't one of the dinky dinky's you can buy now. It was a plain 24" from a hardware store, back when such stores existed. Going into a ridiculous comparison because you fail to understand basics, is like the guy that buys all digital measuring instruments because he never learned to read a basic six inch scale. (Ruler, to the technofreaks). But, if you want to pay more for less accurate instruments, I'm willing to let you, that way I don't have to try to teach you to read a micrometer or vernier caliper, neither of which ever has dead batteries.

And, like most people I know, I learned to ride that bike the day it was given to me, at six years old. By nine years old, I was also doing most of the repairing. Any more dead ends you want to explore? People learned to fly long before any of your toy gadgets were available, and they learned to repair and try again, also having learned something else along the way.. Not learning has a price, I'm not willing to pay it. I paid my dues already.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:30 AM
GBLynden

So wait, you brag about riding a bike on the first day it was given to you (hardly impressive at the ripe old age of six on any bike), but you frown upon me flying my Hobbyzone Champ on the first day I had mine because I didn't build it? THAT tells me a lot of things about you and your bias issues. Also, do you think a basic high wing three-channel RC airplane with no SAFE or AS3X is a toy gadget?

Your move....

While we wait for you to construct your response, here is some footage of me flying my B-17 on Monday after a break in the horrible weather.

http://youtu.be/S2NLL6uLNUk

Last edited by GBLynden; 01-03-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:02 PM
Greybeard1

Originally Posted by GBLynden
Also, do you think a basic high wing three-channel RC airplane with no SAFE or AS3X is a toy gadget?

Your move....
None of my models were, or are, or will be toys. None of my models came out of a box ready to fly, or arf or pnp. A foam out of the box "model" is a toy, something you don't care if you crash it or not, money can replace it. Without work.
How many bikes did you get while we were still fighting the japs? I know you missed that one, so, at that time, bikes were unobtainium.
But, I did more damage learning to fly on the landing than anything else, I never did crash my trainer. Tore the landing gear off a couple times, next day had it back in the air, no big deal. THe only guy in our group that flew a foamie finally gave up and flew without landing gear. Also no big deal, the plane flew better without the weight it was incapable of carrying. One season plane, he tried to follow my second scratch built trainer through a full bore split S, the wing couldn't take it. But everyone loves a good crash. I covered my planes with Stits D104 cloth, he used to kid me about crashing and picking up a "bag of sticks", which proved easier than picking up a bag of popcorn. Which I also never had to. Worst I ever did was spin my Basic Bipe into the ground, someone switched on right after I took off, but I was flying the plane the next day.

But some of the people that helped me improve my building and setting up, Ed Rangus, Mitch Post, Joe Konefes, Ed Konefes, Wally Simmers, Jim Noonan, Clarence Chapman and a lot of others I didn't know by name. I've walked with some pretty big boys, and I'm damned proud of having the chance to learn from them.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:13 PM
DutchRC

This is a bit besides the point of this topic.. but in my humble opinion model airplanes are allmost Allways toys. If you're not generating income with them.. And you don't use them in any way to gather food.. The model airplane is 100% a 'for fun'. Offcourse.. some UAV's are used professionally, or militairy.. In all other instances.. It's a toy..

There is nothing wrong with having fun with models by the way (imho)

Last edited by DutchRC; 01-03-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:24 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Oh give me a break, that is so inflammatory Greybeard1. The guy is having fun flying his models.

Also, I watched the B-17 vid, I think its cool.

Last edited by Tom Nied; 01-04-2015 at 08:36 AM. Reason: accuracy to who I'm referring to, spelling
Old 01-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Greybeard1

Originally Posted by DutchRC
This is a bit besides the point of this topic.. but in my humble opinion model airplanes are allmost Allways toys. If you're not generating income with them.. And you don't use them in any way to gather food.. The model airplane is 100% a 'for fun'. Offcourse.. some UAV's are used professionally, or militairy.. In all other instances.. It's a toy..

There is nothing wrong with having fun with models by the way (imho)
But there is something wrong with considering something that can have many more times the energy of a 45 caliber weapon, a toy. These are not toys, they have the potential to cause fatalities if not flown keeping that in mind. Flying without that in mind, if it's what you do, I would consider gross negligence. A five pound model, not unusual, traveling at 60mph, also not unusual, gives 26400 fi/lb per minute, or 440 ft/lb per second. Look up some ammunition specs, we're far above most of it. This is not a toy, doesn't matter what it's made out of, still not a toy.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:22 PM
Greybeard1

[QUOTE=Tom Nied;11953827

Also, I watched the B-17 vid, I think its cool.[/QUOTE]
One, I don't like warbirds. Two, I don't have to like warbirds. therefore, I don't watch warbirds. Twin Beech, okay. Staggerwing Beech, better yet. P-51, no interest. B anything, less interest. Aeronca C3, much better. Twin Beech, not a trainer, Staggerwing Beech, not a trainer. Aeronca C3, probably a very good trainer. Better trainer, Craftaire(?) Piece o' cake. Or Butterfly II. Some assembly required, does not include engine, electronics glue or covering material, Can be powered by electric motor, some degradation of performance should be expected.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:34 PM
DutchRC

Originally Posted by Greybeard1
But there is something wrong with considering something that can have many more times the energy of a 45 caliber weapon, a toy. These are not toys, they have the potential to cause fatalities if not flown keeping that in mind. Flying without that in mind, if it's what you do, I would consider gross negligence. A five pound model, not unusual, traveling at 60mph, also not unusual, gives 26400 fi/lb per minute, or 440 ft/lb per second. Look up some ammunition specs, we're far above most of it. This is not a toy, doesn't matter what it's made out of, still not a toy.

Sir.. I own a Cessna 172 1/1 (together with two friends).. And I'm sure we could agree I could inflict a considerable amount of damage/harm with it. Needless to say we take great care to prevent that from happening.. Nevertheless: we have that plane for one reason: Amusement. A friend of mine has a nice Porsche 911 track-day car.. 100% amusement..
Definition of toy: something that provides amusement..
I think you are taking this hobby & yourself a bit to seriously.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:36 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gents, let's please go back one page and re-read what I personally think is spot on accurate, the student's goals are the important ones. the student can easily select a different instructor if he / she feels the need, and may also decide to go 'the hard way' and tech themselves.

we are ALL different, what worked for me may not be what worked for you.

although PERSONALLY I also had no foamies, no simulator, no electrics, and was fortunate to have a proportional radio (I missed reeds and escapements by a couple of years), I'm not about to suggest that those things don't have a place in our hobby, if they didn't have a place here they would not exist.

additionally, let's not go down the road that tried to define what is a 'Toy'

I have a Toy Poodle, I'm pretty sure I didn't purchase it from a toy store. I've got a couple of large scale airplanes that are larger than a full scale BD-5.
I could easily describe either airplane as a toy, I could also easily point out how either one can kill you, making them obviously not 'toys' with that particular definition.

and yes, I've been only semi active here the last couple of weeks (the Holidays and RCU REVIEWS have been keeping me running ) but all is very very well here in Buzzeoland, I appreciate your concern, Calvinman and GB

Originally Posted by rcflyertim
Here is my take on recommendations for a beginner:

Based on the OP comments I can conclude that after 30+ yrs of flying and teaching students to fly the bottom line is - What is the goal of the student ( not the teacher). Some people just like learning things on their own. It may cost them more money in the end to do so, but they enjoy the learning process and it is what drives them to try new things. We would not have new things invented if it were not for people like this. These individuals are what makes great engineers, scientist, and product developers.

If the Goal of the student is just to satisfy a curiosity, then a beginner airplane for $100 is fine. It will not teach all of the concepts but it can lay a foundation to advance on if the interest is peaked. A lot of these RTF airplanes can be taken out of the box and flown by a novice. The results will be varied based on knowledge, eye/hand coordination, and the ability to learn from your mistakes.

If the Goal of the student it to learn basic control of a R/C airplane and to fly successfully on their own, then a more advance trainer would be recommended. The RTF for around $150- $250 can do the job successfully. Some of these have built-in self correcting capabilities with sensors and gyros that aid in the success.

BUT if the goal is to be a proficient pilot that can do pattern maneuvers or 3D stunts then I would recommend that student start off with a more elaborate trainer that can be converted to flying aerobatics. Those area typically going to start around $250 and up. These cost more but certainty allow for additional trainer on advance aerobatics rather than just flying around in circles! There are those that have taught themselves to fly on these types of trainers as well.

Again, its all about the GOAL of the student. If they seek out advice then that is a good indication that they want to learn to fly. But their interest may not be yours! They may care less if it cost them a few planes to learn. Some just need to hear encouraging words that a better option is to learn with an experience pilot. It is so much better when they do. They learn a lot about flying from experience of others. The chances of failure or discouragement is lower. The costly repairs are lower and down time for repairs as well.

BUT just remember. We are all unique. We know what works for us may not work for someone else. If we meet the students goals then mission accomplished!

Last edited by AMA 74894; 01-07-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:57 PM
GBLynden

I don't have a toy poodle or any other animal that could be called a toy, but I have to admit that I loved that analogy! So much so I laughed out loud

I hope everyone's weather is firming up as we get ready for the upcoming flying season. We are all a brotherhood here and I love being a part this community.

To great flights and no crashes!

GB
Old 01-28-2020, 07:04 PM
GBLynden

I haven't posted in this thread in a while, but I have to say that using what I outlined on the first page of this has helped me out a great deal when flying all of my planes.

Lately I have been into EDF Jets, which is what I wanted to fly the most when I started anyway: