Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Looking to get gasoline plane.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Looking to get gasoline plane.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 06:52 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by hsukaria
I may sound heretical here, but if we are telling the OP to consider a non-gas plane for his primary trainer, then we might as well open up the possibility of electric RTF trainers. There are a few excellent RTF packages out there that can get him in the air pretty quick. That way, he could be flying while working on his second, gasser, plane. Lots of choices out there. JMHO.
+1 I would suggest a cheap lightweight trainer like an Apprentice. You can get batteries on the cheap for it, 3 packs will give you at least 45 minutes of flight time, easy to repair, and you will repair it, and under $300. While you are building up your skill set, you could work on putting together a great second plane that will use a DLE20, something like a 4*120. Dialed down with good expo and rates its a gentle flyer that floats forever, yet with throws set to full its wicked fun in the air.

Or using a smaller gas like a 10cc(isnt there a 7cc coming out), a modified LT40 would be a great choice too. I fly one with an OS 52 on it, and love it, I flattened the wing, only 3/4" dihedral, tail dragger, and a thrill to fly, its my go to plane when I want to just drill holes in the sky. I may look into doing a new LT40 build for a gas engine just for the heck of it, with a semi symmetrical wing, with larger throws
Old 09-29-2013, 07:07 AM
1MoreMinute
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually bought the Apprentice S 15e this Friday! I figured it would be wise to learn from that 1st than get something bigger. Took about 30 mins to put together and will be test flying it possibly today. Was told I didn't need to go to a special place for this one as long as the field is big enough and we know just the rite place. But depending on what time we get done with other things will determine if we will have the time to fly it.

Theirs no doubt I will add a gasser to my name sometime soon, and while we are getting use to this Apprentice I will be searching which gasser Id like to get, I am liking the suggestions you guys have mentioned so far. And the Aero-Works Trainer is my favorite so far. Also like the Mentor. Going to be hard to decide!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:22 PM
izzy-israel-73

! say if you have mastered it on the sim you will be fine in the air I was solo after 2 flights touch and goes landing all was easy, learning the mechanical side and tuning was another thing still learning!
Old 10-04-2013, 04:40 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

if you want to master it you really need to get with a instructor I know thse guys are saying you can " solo " yada yada

your welcome to come to my club I am in Tampa on i 4 and 75 .. trac .. or you have Can am by you to the west on 54 .. you have bay city flyers ..

you're learning curve will be accelrated if you get with someone to teach you and your plane gets trimmed and all the bugs worked out of and you actuly geting learning flight time instead of trying to fix things flight time ..

to tell you the dead honst truth the only pepole who'm just pick it up cold trukey are prodigys and mostly young kids with vary high motor skills and a even higher abbilty to learn ... I've seen many many adults Fail at flying and become more then year long stundents .. ... not saying you have to go to club just saying it's cheaper and easyer

happy flying dude
Old 10-04-2013, 06:18 AM
acdii

Not entirely true. I never had an instructor, and have been flying for only 2 years, yet maidened several planes that I built, including a twin. I may not have perfect skills on everything, but once I get plane trimmed out, balanced, and tuned, I can take off, land without incident, fly it around doing immelmans, loops, inside and out, snap rolls, knife edge, etc. Only once did a dead stick ever result in a crash, and that was because it quit just past the runway and not enough altitude to return. I have had my fair share of wrecks, only one resulted in a loss, but that was a failure of the plane, and not anything I did. I had a 4*120 ARF that the wing snapped off on, the joiner box wasn't constructed properly. My LT40 has had a couple wrecks and both were on landing, one was overshooting and hitting the wing on an obstacle, the other was a stall with a cross wind that flipped it over.

My friend who I fly with is quite impressed with my skills too, he has been flying for over 30 years and has yet maidened a twin, and his casualty rate vs mine has been much higher, yet he is a good pilot, its just that his planes are old and has been giving him problems, mostly with the engine quitting.

You can master the art of flying on your own using a Sim, and a starting with small planes like UM. My first was a UM T-28, after I put enough flights on it to make it look like it went to war, I advanced to an Apprentice, and first flight, good takeoff, flew it around and good landing. I also dont have the luxury of a large field to takeoff and land from which makes it even more challenging for a beginner. Imagine taking off and landing in an area 45' wide by 350' long with 10 ' high walls surrounding you, thats my flying field.

Not knocking the use of an instructor, if you can get access to a club with one, go for it, but if you are where you dont have a nearby club, or the time to go to the nearest club, and have a place where you can safely fly a park flyer, go for it, the newest planes out make it much easier to learn on with panic buttons that correct the planes attitude and help get it out of a tough situation. While they cant take off and land on their own, they can help keep the plane from dumb thumbs. Just start out small and cheap, the UM and Apprentice are great for this. I still fly the Apprentice even though my regular planes are a highly modified LT40 and a modified 4*120. On a calm day, the Apprentice is a relaxing plane to putt around with, and surprisingly enough, flies upside down with little input to keep it there.

Just use common sense when you do, dont fly if there are bystanders around, fly with a friend, even if they dont know how to fly, its good to have someone with in case you do something dumb and get hurt. Relax, think everything through before you even put the battery in, or fuel the tank, and most important, DONT RUSH IT! Go through the posts on the forum, there are many many great threads with great advice and tips to learn from. I learned a lot from this forum regarding landings, and takeoffs, and tips to correct problems with the plane.

And last, dont get something you think you can fly that isnt a trainer! Something like the PTS T-34 or PTS Mustang. While they say they are a trainer, they are not! After you get the hang of taking off, landing, and can ascertain the stall characteristics and how to prevent it, then you can advance to those types of planes. Those planes you have to stay ahead of, or you will break them. A high wing trainer is what you want, they are very predictable, and will allow you to gain the skills you need to be able to fly.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:22 AM
zacharyR

Originally Posted by acdii
Not entirely true. I never had an instructor, and have been flying for only 2 years, yet maidened several planes that I built, including a twin. I may not have perfect skills on everything, but once I get plane trimmed out, balanced, and tuned, I can take off, land without incident, fly it around doing immelmans, loops, inside and out, snap rolls, knife edge, etc. Only once did a dead stick ever result in a crash, and that was because it quit just past the runway and not enough altitude to return. I have had my fair share of wrecks, only one resulted in a loss, but that was a failure of the plane, and not anything I did. I had a 4*120 ARF that the wing snapped off on, the joiner box wasn't constructed properly. My LT40 has had a couple wrecks and both were on landing, one was overshooting and hitting the wing on an obstacle, the other was a stall with a cross wind that flipped it over.

My friend who I fly with is quite impressed with my skills too, he has been flying for over 30 years and has yet maidened a twin, and his casualty rate vs mine has been much higher, yet he is a good pilot, its just that his planes are old and has been giving him problems, mostly with the engine quitting.

You can master the art of flying on your own using a Sim, and a starting with small planes like UM. My first was a UM T-28, after I put enough flights on it to make it look like it went to war, I advanced to an Apprentice, and first flight, good takeoff, flew it around and good landing. I also dont have the luxury of a large field to takeoff and land from which makes it even more challenging for a beginner. Imagine taking off and landing in an area 45' wide by 350' long with 10 ' high walls surrounding you, thats my flying field.

Not knocking the use of an instructor, if you can get access to a club with one, go for it, but if you are where you dont have a nearby club, or the time to go to the nearest club, and have a place where you can safely fly a park flyer, go for it, the newest planes out make it much easier to learn on with panic buttons that correct the planes attitude and help get it out of a tough situation. While they cant take off and land on their own, they can help keep the plane from dumb thumbs. Just start out small and cheap, the UM and Apprentice are great for this. I still fly the Apprentice even though my regular planes are a highly modified LT40 and a modified 4*120. On a calm day, the Apprentice is a relaxing plane to putt around with, and surprisingly enough, flies upside down with little input to keep it there.

Just use common sense when you do, dont fly if there are bystanders around, fly with a friend, even if they dont know how to fly, its good to have someone with in case you do something dumb and get hurt. Relax, think everything through before you even put the battery in, or fuel the tank, and most important, DONT RUSH IT! Go through the posts on the forum, there are many many great threads with great advice and tips to learn from. I learned a lot from this forum regarding landings, and takeoffs, and tips to correct problems with the plane.

And last, dont get something you think you can fly that isnt a trainer! Something like the PTS T-34 or PTS Mustang. While they say they are a trainer, they are not! After you get the hang of taking off, landing, and can ascertain the stall characteristics and how to prevent it, then you can advance to those types of planes. Those planes you have to stay ahead of, or you will break them. A high wing trainer is what you want, they are very predictable, and will allow you to gain the skills you need to be able to fly.

what the hell are you talking about becouse you debunk my statment of saying not true but yet in your own statment your useing a flying field and other hobbist to help you a instructor ..

your not really on context here , the whole idea is the OB needs to seek out a field for help . if he really wants to pick up the skill ..

the context of your statment you have some what done that but by the sounds of things your flying skill is some what sub par .. still to date ... so ... how is what i siad not fully truthfull ?

here's a pic to validate i don't have any problems with flying yet i needed a instructor and i had a hard time picking up the skill

Last edited by zacharyR; 10-04-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:29 AM
acdii

Not once did ANYONE assist me with flying. Not once did I use a buddy box. Not once did I have someone take off and land for me and hand me the controls. I learned 100% on my own. I do fly at my friends house, but learned to fly in my back yard. My solo flights were all at my house. Since then I have been flying with my friend at his place where it is more open, and I can fly bigger planes.

As far as my flying skills, I may not be able to fly 3D, but I have not dumb thumbed a plane at all this year, and can take off and land pretty darn good. My LT40 takeoffs and landings are picture perfect, right down the line, and on the numbers, and now that I finally got my 4*120 setup correctly, it too lands and takes off nice and smooth. I just dont have the discipline down yet to fly pattern or know all the ins and outs of them, but that doesn't mean I cant fly the crap out of a plane. I have even done harrier landings with a T-34.

My point here is dont assume that only youngsters can go from a sim to the real thing, if someone puts enough sim time in, they too can fly without an instructor to guide them. I picked up some tips from my friend, but he has yet to teach me anything(except to stay away from this one plane eating tree). Not everyone has easy access to a flying field with someone patient enough to teach them.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:46 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

WOW, you have a very privileged mind and are exceptional with your thumbs. You should try out for team USA in the next World Competition. And all that on your own. I wish you live closer so I can watch you flying
Old 10-04-2013, 12:27 PM
zacharyR

your dumb

all i gota say is good luck with that .. the guy flying hte LT 40 clearly is a pro . he needs no help nor none helped him . have fun going down that path .. you're granteed success and no fustration
Old 10-04-2013, 12:42 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone inform me on this front, I know 'sarcasm' is the lowest form of something, but I just cannot remember what .....

It is possible for people to learn this hobby on their own. I learned to fly a collective pitch 450 sized electric heli on my own - and without a sim i might add too. I then moved onto a full noise 50 sized nitro 3D heli, again on my own before I was able to locate a suitable local club to which I am now a member of.
Now that I've started flying planes also (with the help that is available at my club), I will state that the sim I subsequently aided in my development hugely. My first ever landing of a plane was with my de-tuned (to low wing trainer responses) 56" Yak54 after the thing died 15 foot up from a take off. As I was just handing the controller back (no buddy box), so there was no time to hand the controller over to the guy I was working with. I landed it, and pretty well I might add (only one slight bounce before I caught it on the elevator), and I still have it in completely undamaged form to this day (I'm going to go fly it tomorrow in fact).
Now I'm not going to state how good of a pilot I feel I am (as I consider myself to be still learning, as I feel we all are), but I will state that just because you learn by yourself, it does not make you any worse of a pilot if your able to think out what it is your doing, and then put it into practice in a planned out manner after working to nail it as much as possible on a good simulator first. I did it, so I'm pretty sure there are a lot of others out there that could do it also as I don't consider myself anything special - just determined and thought out.

Last edited by kiwibob72; 10-04-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:08 PM
zacharyR

okay well i see pepole fail with the help of instructors they crash alot they never pick it up , they spend years and just remaind smi flyable .. and never become competent pilots , not saying you can't do it by yourselfs

what I'm saying hte chances are vary low .. the chances are slighlty higher if your a youth .. and the chances of really mastering it are slim even with a instructor you really got to want to do it and need to learn alot ..and you need talent

the chance of you becoming masterd is higher if you learn from others , i mean this is just basic and logical

kwi bob i'm willing to bet you can't do a pryo blast or a funnel or even a tick tock .. and LT 40 guy i dout your masterd either but your masterd at giving advice .. thats my issue .. some real jokers who'm in my personal openion probably arn't competent pilots in the first place .. so do whatever you like its a free hobby you can chose but your dumb .. not to heed other's wisdom

hell its even harder with a heli so much is in the set up i'd be kinda in fear to fly a big one .. just stright cold trukey .. and I be damned if your cool telling anyong to do that **** .. good way to get someone hurt or killed

ya guy pick up this Trex 700 and go out there have a blast .. !!

now any joker can fly a co axlie heli or a blade 120 sr hell even my girlfriend flys my foamy .. I'm refering to real airframes here .. and anyone starting you normaly going to need to be able to fly real stuff .. not stuff that flys itselfs ..

just do yourself a favor and seek help it's gona save your hair your wallet .. and your mind ... !! trust me
Old 10-04-2013, 07:50 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No one ever said go grab a large thing like a 700 and let rip - that would be utterly mindless. I did on the other hand state that I started with a 'small' collective pitch heli (a RTF one, but a 450 CP heli none the less).

As for going right into the 50 nitro, I don't think I said that either. I did state i moved (progressed) onto it from the 450, but what I didn't state is that was 6 months down the line from starting with the 450, once my skill set was high enough to warrant the move up to something that dangerous. So please, don't make out like I'd EVER be careless or stupid enough to point someone at a monster like a 700 first up, as that is just way out of line.
As for doing specific 3D moves with my heli's, while I have dabbled, I'm just not into 3D as I opt to fly for myself, and never for anyone elses benefit (I'm a grown man and don't need pats on the back from my friends every five seconds just to survive) - well that and having a retarded bumble bee of a model that wants to take my head off is not me. Precise scale flight is more my thing if you must know.

As for flying of any kind, for me it has always been about 'progression', it's one of the key things I love about the hobby, your always 'progressing' with something. My 56" Yak54 was deliberately set up to fly like a low wing trainer, as after my original trainer was crushed in an earthquake, the Yak was brought to allow personal progression at the flick of a switch.
Oddly enough, it was 'listening to people' telling me about their own planes flight characteristics that allowed me to set that plane up just as I intended and get out of it what I wanted despite the 'know it all's' around me saying it would not work. Now a few of them ask ME how I made it work.
Now that work commitments allow me time to fly more, the aim, as I actually elude to in my last post, is to work with people at my club to progress on that model. THEN, when I feel happy with that, I'll fly the gas P51 mustang I've been sitting on. Once that's sorted, then I'll move onto the 30cc Sbach I have - you know, progress through each level of model in a thought out manner.
To make sure there is not any misunderstanding, even though I'm quite adequate flying my helis, I'm working through a well thought out process at my club WITH more experienced flyers when it comes to my planes. I do this a I am well aware it's better to do this as it does indeed save you money and time. The reason I didn't use an instructor when learning to fly helis is because I was new to the area I live in, and did not know of any.

So to that end, I agree it is always best to learn with an instructor, their knowledge goes beyond just flying, and covers things like setup, tricks of the 'trade' etc. The simple fact I have gone about this from both angles (helis on my own, planes with help) allows me to point out that just because you may not have been capable of mastering it on your own, does not give you the right to slam others just because they have had no other option than to go it alone. It's indeed doable to learn anything on your own if your capable of studding an following a pre-set and well thought out plan ...... it just that it's not "desirable" when it comes to things that fly if it's at all possible to work with an instructor.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:42 AM
iqon

Thanks to Charlie P for putting your pictures on here I have been looking for a suitable airframe for my zenoah g26.will shortly be ordering the v3 I was also looking at the pilot one but the engine just wont fit
Old 09-12-2015, 08:16 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You're welcome.

Another great choice for a G-26 would be the Giant Stik from Great Planes.