Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Check before flight

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Check before flight

Old 09-13-2014, 02:04 PM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check before flight

I can't tell you the number of crashes, I've seen or heard about, that could have been avoided if a simple control throw check before flight had been accomplished. Today a maiden flight didn't go so well. Ailerons were reversed.
take the time to stand behind your airplane and say to yourself aileron up in the direction I move the stick. Then it's elevator up with stick back. Elevator down with stick forward. Finally rudder moves in the direction of the stick.
Please do this before your first flight of the day. It'll save you an airplane some day
Old 09-13-2014, 03:07 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

+10 Jetmech. it only takes 2 minutes to do this, and also check battery voltage and pushrod connectors and landing gear. Don't forget to put in wing bolts if your aircraft has them. Just doing these simple checks will save you a lot of time and money, also avoiding the possibility of injuring someone or yourself.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:13 PM
ml82232

It looks silly but I have a piece of tape by the battery switch just says ALL CHECKS
Old 09-14-2014, 08:08 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Sorry for your lost, I have seen it happen before.

Last edited by CARS II; 09-14-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:24 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guilty as charged. I hate to say this, but I have done it many times over the years. I now move the Tx in the direction of the stick, them compare how the Tx is moving to what I see the control surfaces are doing. I have caught it a couple times now. In my defense, I had the battery for the memory of the Tx die and did not know it. Took me a while to figure out why every time I flew my Ugly stick I had to reverse the ailerons. I was just lucky the other 3 planes had no reversing on them.

Brother calls me the reversed aileron King!!. So When in doubt I have him check it.

Buzz.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:35 AM
jetmech05

Wasn't my plane Cars I I I'm just advising.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:31 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Preventing a crash.

I use VOLT-CHECK'S in most of my planes usually mounted in the cockpits.
One saved my World Models GS P-51, after tuning the Saito 180 for the maiden flight, I was ready.
Moved the plane to the hot-pits for start up, ready to taxi and noticed the red light in the cockpit, battery near dead, had one dead cell.
Volt-Check saved the plane.