Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

"experts"

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

"experts"

Old 11-03-2014, 09:46 AM
MTK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by earles6169 View Post
Just to let you know... An "ex" is a has been and a "spurt" is what comes out of a water hose....

I am neither
Geesh.... I worked with a guy long ago that used to say this all the time about people's expertise. It was a dumb comment then and still is.

To the OP, I think you've got your answer.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:42 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HighPlains View Post
I think you can encounter all of the classical 7 sins in this hobby (and every where else as well).LustGluttonyGreedSlothWrathEnvyPrideWe are all somewhat human. While we may believe we were created equal, we certainly don't finish there. Half the population is not as smart as the other half, and many have not the time, nor the opportunities to develop the skills or knowledge of the expert. The hobby is quite diverse today, so few experts cover the entire depth and breadth of today's RC. Most experts are not self selecting this title, but they are the guys that test fly a lot of new models for others, are there to trouble shoot a balky engine, and if you are really lucky instruct on how to fly. While the average instructor covers the bulk of primary instruction, an expert may still be training a new flier many years after that first solo on the finer points with the hope that this will ease his own burden at the local field.
As usual Bob good points. Not trying to make you feel old here bud but when I was rather wet behind the ears I had guys such as you, Jim Kelly, Paul Benezra, Dan Bignardi and a few others that took the time to answer my questions and did so with patience. When I look back at that I see the value of that mentoring. For those reasons and more I like to help guys out as much as I can both at the field and on forums. I had hoped that I could pass some onto my own boys but they have other interests. IMO we don't see nearly as many young people at the field as we used to. I'm sure there are a multitude of reasons why but I for one sure as hell want to encourage these young people as much as I can, In my eyes its a way of thanking those who were there for me as a youngster. If some people don't understand my motives and want to throw a label on my back then so be it.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:33 PM
steph69

z z z z z z z z ! who cares.

Last edited by steph69; 11-03-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:35 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scintillating input Steph. Do they have basements in plaid?
Old 11-03-2014, 05:45 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
As usual Bob good points. Not trying to make you feel old here bud but when I was rather wet behind the ears I had guys such as you, Jim Kelly, Paul Benezra, Dan Bignardi and a few others that took the time to answer my questions and did so with patience. When I look back at that I see the value of that mentoring. For those reasons and more I like to help guys out as much as I can both at the field and on forums. I had hoped that I could pass some onto my own boys but they have other interests. IMO we don't see nearly as many young people at the field as we used to. I'm sure there are a multitude of reasons why but I for one sure as hell want to encourage these young people as much as I can, In my eyes its a way of thanking those who were there for me as a youngster. If some people don't understand my motives and want to throw a label on my back then so be it.
Yes you’ve pointed out your selfless deeds and honorable motives at least a few times this thread alone. Believe me those who you have taken the time to help most likely truly appreciate your efforts. You profess to not care of others opinions but it appears your searching for recognition or someone’s approval when you keep bringing it up. The simple fact is that at any of the clubs I have attended or been a member, the majority of the members help at what ever level they are capable of. Even beginners help each other. It’s the nature of joining and belonging to a group who share the same interests. The really outstanding mentors I have had the pleasure of knowing never seamed to have the need to be recognized for their deeds. In fact I cannot remember a single one who thought they did anything out of the ordinary.

All funning aside, yes I am guilty of pulling your chain at times. Help because you enjoy it not for any type of recognition. That way when someone isn’t even polite enough to say thank you it’s easy to shrug your shoulders and go back to enjoying your hobby. When someone does thank you it may be that you have just made a new good friend and that is worth many times any recognition or accolades.

Dennis
Old 11-03-2014, 05:46 PM
TheEdge
My Feedback: (787)

Originally Posted by CRI CRI View Post
This is very simple. Two people, experts included can have varying answers to a question and both can be right. Both could even say the same thing but with different words and the perception of their answers could be constrewed by others as different. Now the fact remains that unless your question is 100% without a doubt proven to have only one answer than people will always have their own opinions. Take two Professors of any college subject. They can debat all year over a question in their field and have two completely different takes on that subject even though it is written only one way in their subject books. PERCEPTION and OPINION !!!!!!!!
I'm calling BS
Old 11-03-2014, 08:28 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

If I recall correctly, Shawn once had a job that may be the closest to he ll on Earth. He worked the counter at the largest hobby shop in America along side another old friend named John F. That anyone would choose to stand and answer questions (often the same question) hour after hour is beyond the call. While this isn't old home week, I would be remiss not to agree about the value of those long gone that gave us so much.

If anyone wants to up their game, competition is where it's at. I know that competition is almost been driven out of people today, a long and deliberate act by people with a mindset that I do not share. In their perfect society, outcomes are predetermined and everybody gets a ribbon for just being there. Well that mindset didn't build this country but it sure is taking it apart. I don't care to share my piece of the pie, but if you want pie I will show you how to get your own.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:36 AM
mackeyjones

Originally Posted by TheEdge View Post
I'm calling BS
Its the same as Chineese Whispers..One person makes a statement, next person passes it on slightly differently, by the time it gets back to you it has no resemblance to what you first said.