Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Hitec receiver

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hitec receiver

Old 12-11-2014, 09:34 AM
shd3920

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec receiver

Will this dual conversion receiver work with the Max6 JR single conversion transmitter?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151506948367?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I am pretty sure "no" as more than likely a dual conversion crystal can not read a single conversion crystal.

Last edited by shd3920; 12-11-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:46 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

-----YES-----

It definitely is a positive shift receiver so yes indeed it will work with your positive shift transmitter.

Now understand that you must use a Hitec dual conversion crystal in the receiver that is the same frequency as your transmitter.

All most all hitec receivers that were not shift selectable types were either positive shift or negative shift. The purchaser selected the modulation shift type he needed. Your JR requires you to use any FM (PPM) receiver that is positive shift.

John
Old 12-11-2014, 10:55 AM
shd3920

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
-----YES-----

It definitely is a positive shift receiver so yes indeed it will work with your positive shift transmitter.

Now understand that you must use a Hitec dual conversion crystal in the receiver that is the same frequency as your transmitter.

All most all hitec receivers that were not shift selectable types were either positive shift or negative shift. The purchaser selected the modulation shift type he needed. Your JR requires you to use any FM (PPM) receiver that is positive shift.

John
How can a single conversion read a dual conversion tho?
Old 12-11-2014, 11:31 AM
JohnBuckner

Conversion type used in the receiver has nothing to do with the transmitter. Dude look closely at that Receiver in the add and in very small print you will see like magic on a hitec receiver label it says "for JR or Airtronics" Agine you must use a Hitec dual conversion receiver crystal in that receiver that is the same frequency as your transmitter.

I have used for years in the past that same receiver with several models of the JR transmitter including my ancient JR 10SX And I have used and still have numerous examples of that exact Hitec Electron 6 for JR & Airtronics. A very good receiver by the way.

So the answer is still Yes

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 12-11-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:37 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

John said you must replace the single conversion crystal in the receiver with a dual conversion crystal on the same channel. If John says it will work, I would bet money on it.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:39 PM
JohnBuckner

Thanks for the vote of confidence JP. shd here is a photo of the Hitec dual conversion receiver crystals and what they look like. If they are dual conversion they all will have that pull tab with the blue stripe across them and a channel number right on that tab. If they have a green stripe that means they are Hitec single conversion crystals and will not work in the dual conversion electron six.

As to where to get them is a different matter as the older stuff is disappearing rapidly and I checked at Tower and Servo city with no joy. All tower had was single conversion green stripe crystals. So finding a Blue stripe Hitec crystal with your channel number will be the challenge.

John

Having trouble posting pic will get it up in a bit.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:19 PM
JohnBuckner

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20141211_134302[1].jpg
Views:	121
Size:	3.34 MB
ID:	2054135  
Old 12-12-2014, 09:03 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

John is right discussion closed.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

John, I haven't bought one in a long time but I was getting them from Nice Twice Hobbies before Denny sold the place. It's not the same shop any longer but when Denny still had it he had a huge stock of them. The new owner may still have a supply? Worth a look next time your in town.
Gene
Old 12-13-2014, 01:52 PM
JohnBuckner

Gene if you mean me then No thanks, I regained my freedom from 'the tyranny of the frequency board' very early on and never to look back Boy did I ever take the heat when I first posted that phrase in RCU I'am betting it will be far less this time around

John
Old 12-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Gray Beard

I'm almost completely out of 72 myself but still not 100%. I just tried out the FrSky 8ch 2.4s with my set up thinking this would be it but they didn't work well on most of my planes. Work well on one but the planes that require more channels they didn't work on? Long story but I tried everything. I will have to get a few more Hitec receivers when I find the cash.
I just saw all the 72 crystals you had and thought you still kept them on hand for odd ball items.Other then a receiver every once in a while I haven't really bought anything new other then glue.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:43 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the vote of confidence JP. shd here is a photo of the Hitec dual conversion receiver crystals and what they look like. If they are dual conversion they all will have that pull tab with the blue stripe across them and a channel number right on that tab. If they have a green stripe that means they are Hitec single conversion crystals and will not work in the dual conversion electron six.

As to where to get them is a different matter as the older stuff is disappearing rapidly and I checked at Tower and Servo city with no joy. All tower had was single conversion green stripe crystals. So finding a Blue stripe Hitec crystal with your channel number will be the challenge.

John

Having trouble posting pic will get it up in a bit.
Ebay is a good place to find 72 mhz stuff.

Gene if you mean me then No thanks, I regained my freedom from 'the tyranny of the frequency board' very early on and never to look back Boy did I ever take the heat when I first posted that phrase in RCU I'am betting it will be far less this time around

John
Since just about everyone flies on 2.4 ghz now I never have to worry about a frequency clash.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:01 PM
JohnBuckner

Gene I actually have one FrSky Receiver and it works well in this application but I do not use it for flying. Instead it is employed for my home made Cordless Buddy Cord system for my Hitec A9's This is a area that Hitec screwed the pooch by failing produce there own in response to Futaba's cordless. I did a long drawn out thread on the various home made buddy cord systems some very bright electronics types helped me out on titled "its been a long time coming" That's in addition to helping to covert even my 44 year old Orbit to 2.4

AlllModesRC I was responding to the OP in an effort to help him understand exactly how he could utilize his linked receiver and exactly what he would need to use and of course the correct crystal is the challenge. In that context I disagree. First I would consider Ebay for crystals only if they were new in original packaging. I would never suggest to anyone to buy used crystals. And here is why: The frequency crystal consist of two electrodes with a micro thin wafer of silica crystal spread between them, enclosed in heavy metal armour case. This item is very delicate and it takes only one drop from the work bench to a hard floor to ruin it and worst case scenario become intermittent. So will used crystals work? Sure they will but at a much higher rate than new ones they well, just don,t do so well, why because they have been dropped.

OK granted you do not have to worry about frequency clash or do You? You only perhaps have to think about everyone else who thinks like that out there! Hundreds of thousands of old units out there some still legal and some not most typically operated by good folks but ones who don,t care to learn about there stuff on forums like this or any other source of information out there, in fact folks who refuse to learn anything about what they are doing and refuse to do so. Its thinking like this that almost destroyed our field until we decided to recommend 2.4 only. Now three years later after we dryed up the local source of old still legal RC transmitters to the local swap meets the stray hits on the 72 have just about disappeared.

Now over the years you are likely also to discover that perhaps your 72 receivers are not quite as durable in crashes. You also might discover hey it sure is nice to package the receiver without that ugly buggy whip antenna. and you may even discover that you sure did have more mystery crashes with 72, just maybe.

But this thread is not 72 vs. 2.4 its about helping the OP with his question AND I hope I achieved that.

John
Old 12-14-2014, 09:27 AM
Gray Beard

Funny how I learned something about crystals so late in my life. I always gave a lot of thought about the receivers themselves but never gave the crystal any thought.
I'm using my old Futaba 9-C with a Hitec 2.4 module and it works very well. There was just something about my system and the FrSky RXs that didn't want to work. I fly with one fellow that has been using there complete system, radio and RXs for four years without a problem of any type. Another friend using a Futaba 8ch radio with a JR module and the FrSky RXs with no problem. All the bad crap seems to happen to me??? Aloft is a pretty good place to deal with though and he even answers his phone when you call.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:38 AM
AllModesR/C

John Buckner, yes absolutely 2.4 ghz is newer and frankly superior technology, no doubt about that. Personally though being a beginner I have no need for all the fancy stuff the modern radios have. My 72 radios work just fine. I was at the field yesterday and everyone commented on how "you need to get a new radio dude." I'm thinking why if this one works fine? I have the Hitec Optic 6 computer transmitter (that I bought for next to nothing on ebay) for my other trainer and have not even scratched the surface of what it can do. Whenever I got out to the field I always mark my frequency on the board and have not encountered anyone on 72 let alone on my frequency yet.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:06 PM
JohnBuckner

Hey AllmodesR/C Its all good Sorry if I sounded a little short, Actually I believe on some of your threads I was engaged in helping you out some good choices in what 72 band tx's to seek out for your Rx's.

Now just one more thought and this has nothing to do whether or not your systems are 72 or 2.4 its concerning the computer transmitter thing. This is a pattern that I think most will confirm that have been around a while. Most all of us that are attracted to this hobby/sport tend to be gadgeteers and its amazing how we are so attracted to 'features' almost to the man. With that as a given for some time now I believe it better to start learning many if not all of this stuff even if totally not needed pretty much right from the start, makes for a seamless transition to the more advanced airplanes.

For example are dual rates, Expo's yes even the much slandered aileron to rudder mix needed on a simple trainer. Absolutely not but I also think it is best to learn right from the start on how to use these perks and when to use them and why. The simple trainer is the ideal vehicle for doing just that. Helps to make for a more well rounded pilot.

John
Old 12-14-2014, 12:45 PM
AllModesR/C

Yes indeed. I just set my EPA on the throttle and elevator on the trainer 60. So yes, I'm learning. Thank goodness I had the manual to tell me how to do it. Is the aileron to rudder mix a feature that gives auto rudder when you bank?
Old 12-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Gray Beard

I still have my Hitec 7 and it works just fine. Before that it was a basic 4 or 5 ch. I got my 7 and was building more and more advanced planes and the 7 was still fine. Only problem was it would only hold 3 planes at a time so I wanted to be able to program more planes in it. I got a super deal on a Futaba 9-C and at that time it was the number one radio on the market. I looked at new radios a couple years ago and didn't find anything I liked better so just bought the Hitec 2.4 module for it. I have had the module for a couple of years but have only changed over to 2.4 slowly as money finds it's way into my pockets. I still have a couple planes on 72 and 72 still works as well as it ever did. The only advantage to 2.4 is the lack of the need to use the frequency boar and walk the line. Not having to pull out the antenna is also a big plus for me. I lost two planes by forgetting to do that, my stupid though. Other then that 2.4 isn't a big deal for me. When it's time for a more advanced radio you will know it and by then have a good idea of the type and brand you want. Everyone you meet at a club/field will be telling you that you should change though. Just the nature of the beast. The loudest advocates will be newer pilots too. I'm told I really need a cell phone too. Why, I can always borrow someone eases??
Old 12-14-2014, 12:56 PM
AllModesR/C

You don't have a cell phone? What are you stuck in 1985? Just kidding LOL
Old 12-14-2014, 01:23 PM
JohnBuckner

[QUOTE=AllModesR/C; . Is the aileron to rudder mix a feature that gives auto rudder when you bank?[/QUOTE]

Yes it is. The term auto rudder though I think more associated with a different kind of rudder function more associated with The latest and very complex free flight models (is that an oxy moron?)

In the phrase 'aileron to rudder' means that the first listed control in this case aileron is the master and the second listed control is the slave. There are actually examples of other mixs that can be two totally different mixs for a different purpose. ;For example a 'flap to elevator'' mix is use to adjust for a pitch change when the flaps are extended. Now an elevator to flap mix is used to have the flaps oppose the elevators movement to tighten loops both inside and outside.

Back to the aileron to rudder mix. Yes moving the aileron only will cause the rudder to move a predetermined proportional amount in the same direction. This proportion can be anywhere from no movement all the way up to the rudders max throw when the rudder stick is used.

John
Old 12-14-2014, 01:40 PM
Gray Beard

No cell phone, only needed one once. I have had them and they were never used. My daughter gave my wife one in case of car problems at night, also never used but she has it if she remembers to charge it. I don't know anyone I want to talk to so bad it can't wait until I get home. I did use to buy 10 minutes every 60 days but we never used those minutes.
I have one plane I used the aileron to rudder mix with. A big Bipe {I still have it} and it required rudder input when banking. Once I got used to flying the plane I removed the mix. Rudder input is automatic in my hands and I don't think about it, it just happens.
I had a Hots that I used flaperon with and had the elevator slaved to the flaperons so as the flaps came down the elevator came up. I had it on a switch and it was used just for fun on windy days.
I have an Up-Roar on my bench now and will do it the same way as the hots, when the wind is blowing it's fun to fly backwards or as John mentioned, you can do some really tight loops.
MIxing is fun to play with and sometimes needed. Some of it can bite you in the butt too. I have seen flaperon get a lot of people