Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Hi everyone

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hi everyone

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 07:11 AM
destroyer85golf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi everyone

Hello everyone My name is Dustin, Im new to the sport ! I was cruising craigslist the other day and stumbled across a collection of rc airplanes and all the things that go with them. By the time I was on my way home I was 600 dollars lighter and my suburban was completely packed with model airplanes. I ended up with 11 planes 6 nitro engines, 5 radios a ton of extra parts the other 5 planes were electric. I am very excited to get started in the sport I have wanted to get in to it since I was a kid! I have decided that im gonna learn how to fly these, hopefully with the help of others, or crash them all trying!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2014, 10:25 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Why wouldn't you just start with just 1?
Old 12-28-2014, 10:38 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome aboard, Dustin. You're not the first to fling yourself headlong into the hobby. I hope you get to fly soon and often.

Until you've worn out at least one of your planes, or crashed 3 of them irreparably, though, I suggest you refrain from further purchases. Space eventually becomes a limit.... and selling off a big bunch of hobby equipment is usually more or less a giveaway process. I think others will agree.

Happy Flying,
Dave Olson
Old 12-28-2014, 11:49 AM
destroyer85golf

The deal came with a Futaba radio that I looked up online it alone was 319.00 , it came with 2 sig something extra's with two spare engines a piece. I figured I would pare through the 4 that look beyond repair and still come out ahead. I can't wait to get them out and fly!
Old 12-28-2014, 12:52 PM
mustangman177

Congrats. on your purchases.

Find a club or someone who flys to look over what you bought. Don't try to fly one yourself. Do you know the person you bought these from ? what kind of shape they are in ?

Hope to hear from you soon.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:12 PM
destroyer85golf

well as far as I can tell they are in decent shape, they look to be older except for the remote that I got. one is a something extra 260 with a Irvine .53, not sure the model on the other something extra but it needs work also, nothing major but it appears that during transit the third wheel on the rudder got broken. there is a cap 232 with a surpass .48 . it is the only one that I have had running so far. it runs great sitting in my driveway. the starter that I have apparently does not have the grunt to start the other engines. they apparently have to much compression for the starter to overcome. which is a good thing I guess. there is a couple of old planes I have no idea what they are but they are in various states of repair. the one thing that is interesting to me is one engine that looks like a small weed eater with a walboro carb on it. the snout of the crank case is cracked. it is taken apart but everything is there to put it back together but there is no manufacturer or size on the case anywhere that I see. It also has the ignition setup and a tiny spark plug.... have to do some more digging on that one.

Last edited by destroyer85golf; 12-28-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:21 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the hobby !

As already stated, I suggest that you find a local club and get some assistance. The local club may have a trainer, that they can use to teach you the basics of RC flying.

Going it alone usually leads to disaster. Clubs, in addition to offering flight training, provide a suitable place to fly, and fellowship with like minded individuals.

You can locate a nearby club, here: http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx
Old 12-29-2014, 04:04 PM
a70eliminator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nothing like jumping in with both feet all at once, sound like you got a decent deal however you look at it. now just sit on that stuff and get yourself a trainer because those planes you got are not for a beginner, you'll reduce them to a big pile of scrapwood one after another, it takes alot of ambition and drive to master flight.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:50 PM
destroyer85golf

I am just having fun tinkering with them now , I am working 12 hours a day for 21 days in a row for the foreseeable future. I am going to get a simulator and go from there. Chances are I won't be flying anything till next fall, but they will be there when I'm ready. untill then I'll be lurking here and learning what I can.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:18 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do as Tom mentioned, there is probably someone close to you that can tell what condition your new stuff is in. Example would be the starter you got. The engines could be a bit stiff from hardening castor or the battery for the starter isn't up to snuff? Just simple little things.
A lot of clubs also have a club trainer and a buddy box system to train you, that way you don't need to buy anything and after you solo and get some stick time you may fit right into the Extras without too much trouble.
Wish I had a little .48fs, I'm reverting in my old age and getting back into the smaller planes, I could use that engine.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:24 PM
destroyer85golf

As soon as I have spare time I am going to be joining a club. I had to move temporarily to Iowa where we are building a fertilizer plant and there is nothing around here!!!! Back home there is a club 20 minutes from my house. I have been replacing a few things and just generally cleaning them up for now. And lurking on this forum as much as possible! I have learned a ton thus far and am going to try to fight the urge to just take one out and give it a whirl.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:40 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think we have all done that at one time or another. I remember I had no problem taking off or flying but I was lucky and another club member finally landed the plane for me.
I had soloed but was still shaky on landings and was warned to fight the feeling but who listens?
Old 01-01-2015, 01:57 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Use the link that I posted above. You may be surprised, and find a club within reasonable driving distance.

Model Aviation is alive and well in Iowa. That's where I developed my interest in it.