Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New guy, looking for direction

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New guy, looking for direction

Old 08-28-2017, 08:33 AM
  #1  
MurphyLong
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
MurphyLong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy, looking for direction

Hey all, I've flown Foam trainers for a few years now, just because they're simple, rugged, and cheap to replace when they crash. I recently inherited a pile of Nitro RC Plane "stuff," and I'm not even sure where to start with it all.

I have 4 planes that all seem to be complete, 2 transmitters (Futaba T9CAP and TX6a I think is what they are) which seem pretty old, albeit complex, a milk crate full of motors, and a bin of odds & ends including servos, wheels, etc.

Well,, I've flown a friend's Nitro plane before, but it was just a basic .40 Trainer, and everything I have is a low-wing plane. From what I understand, these are more "nimble" and not as forgiving, is that correct? Also, the planes all have motors on them, and with the ones in the crate, it looks like a mix of .40-.60 sizes, both 2 and 4 stroke O.S. engines. The only person I know personally who flies would be my uncle who's in Upsate NY, and I'm in NC, so our communications are few and far between.

If anyone would like to chime in and give pointers on where to start, this is my tentative plan in no particular order:

Clean everything. There's a bit of dust.
Buy new Tx/Rx, what I have is "dated." Look for 2.4ghz instead of 72mhz?
Clean, test, and tune all engines.
Test all servos.
Update the field box to something with a battery for electric start, instead of just a start stick.

Once I've done all that, I figured I would just drive the planes up and down the road for a bit until I get comfortable with how everything handles, then work on take-offs and landings, touch-and-go's, etc.

Sorry for the subpar pictures, but this is when everything was picked up, I blacked out planes that I didn't take, but it shows the planes themselves. (The wings were on a storage rack, not shown.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	planes.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	2229709Click image for larger version

Name:	planes1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	2229710Click image for larger version

Name:	planes2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	2229711Click image for larger version

Name:	planes3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	2229712


Now, all the planes seem in good shape, but I wonder if it's better to just buy a new ARF/BNF kit, and keep the motors. I've never been big on building planes or dealing with Monokote, so if any of these crash, it will be their final flights.

Last edited by MurphyLong; 08-29-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:14 PM
  #2  
F4 Phantom blue angles
 
F4 Phantom blue angles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: 1/2 hour due west of Allentown,Pennsylvania
Posts: 176
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hi My friend,listen,This could be answered very easy, No guts,no glory! I say this with all respect to you. I was shy about flying when I was younger,but I learned over time that I go to the field and when I'm ready to fly,I fuel up,start up,and go rig out to flight line and punch the throttle. I found out that if you hesitate a little, your gonna be to tence to fly. But when I'm aggressive, I feel I have more control of my model.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:01 PM
  #3  
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 605
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Forget the "no guts, no glory" approach. A low wing, nitro plane is going to be much faster and much more agile than a foamy trainer. You probably should not attempt to fly them alone unless you could care less when they crash on the first flight. Having a more experienced pilot with you on a buddy box would be the way to go.

You need to ensure that batteries in the plane and transmitters are still good (charge/discharge several times to make sure they are still holding at least 80% of their rated capacity. If not, replace them. Also, if you switch to a 2.4 GHz transmitter, be aware that you will have to replace the receivers that are in the plane with ones that are compatible with the new transmitter.

And if you're not a nitro guy, it may make more sense to try and sell it all and buy an electric foamy set up your more comfortable with.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:32 AM
  #4  
TomCrump
 
TomCrump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 7,614
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by RBACONS View Post
Forget the "no guts, no glory" approach. A low wing, nitro plane is going to be much faster and much more agile than a foamy trainer. You probably should not attempt to fly them alone unless you could care less when they crash on the first flight. Having a more experienced pilot with you on a buddy box would be the way to go.

You need to ensure that batteries in the plane and transmitters are still good (charge/discharge several times to make sure they are still holding at least 80% of their rated capacity. If not, replace them. Also, if you switch to a 2.4 GHz transmitter, be aware that you will have to replace the receivers that are in the plane with ones that are compatible with the new transmitter..
I agree. Even taxiing them in the street could lead to disaster. Like you, I feel that finding local, experienced help is the prudent way forward.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:13 AM
  #5  
Calvinman
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
Posts: 751
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

You need to get someone to inspect and test fly and trim out your plane, then as mentioned get someone to buddy box with you till you get the hang of it. Things happen very fast and until you are used to it you will probably just end up taking garbage bags full of plane home without an instructor.

Calvi
Old 08-29-2017, 04:51 AM
  #6  
MurphyLong
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
MurphyLong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom blue angles View Post
Hi My friend,listen,This could be answered very easy, No guts,no glory! I say this with all respect to you. I was shy about flying when I was younger,but I learned over time that I go to the field and when I'm ready to fly,I fuel up,start up,and go rig out to flight line and punch the throttle. I found out that if you hesitate a little, your gonna be to tence to fly. But when I'm aggressive, I feel I have more control of my model.
While I appreciate the show of bravado and blind encouragement, I'm not in the habit of destroying things, and that's what would happen, quite quickly I might add.

Originally Posted by RBACONS View Post
Forget the "no guts, no glory" approach. A low wing, nitro plane is going to be much faster and much more agile than a foamy trainer. You probably should not attempt to fly them alone unless you could care less when they crash on the first flight. Having a more experienced pilot with you on a buddy box would be the way to go.

You need to ensure that batteries in the plane and transmitters are still good (charge/discharge several times to make sure they are still holding at least 80% of their rated capacity. If not, replace them. Also, if you switch to a 2.4 GHz transmitter, be aware that you will have to replace the receivers that are in the plane with ones that are compatible with the new transmitter.

And if you're not a nitro guy, it may make more sense to try and sell it all and buy an electric foamy set up your more comfortable with.
I prefer Nitro, just don't have as much time flying them as I wish I did. I have been trying to find some people locally who fly, but not much luck so far. As for the batteries, I would definitely be replacing them, since the ones I was given are at least 2 years old. I'll probably take them all to Batteries Plus for disposal after this tropical storm.

It's a given that upgrading to 2.4 would warrant changes on the Rx as well, just not sure if 72mhz is even a viable frequency or not.


Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
I agree. Even taxiing them in the street could lead to disaster. Like you, I feel that finding local, experienced help is the prudent way forward.
Originally Posted by Calvinman View Post
You need to get someone to inspect and test fly and trim out your plane, then as mentioned get someone to buddy box with you till you get the hang of it. Things happen very fast and until you are used to it you will probably just end up taking garbage bags full of plane home without an instructor.

Calvi
Yeah, when I first started with the LiPo Foamies, the first 2 were pushers, and I pushed them straight into the ground. Went and bought a more "plane-like" park flyer, and things were MUCH more manageable. Turning off the "nanny" mode on the plane actually made it easier to fly, the only issue I had when I stopped flying was that I had nowhere decent to land, it was grass or gravel, so I had to learn how to "plop" it at the lowest speed possible to stop the gear from catching grass and planting the prop. Now there's a 1/4 mile long paved road in front of the house with virtually no traffic, so I will have a much easier time with landing...


I appreciate all of the input so far, and I'm thinking I may just offer up the planes for sale somewhere, to someone who may want them, I just don't know how to even value them.

With the surplus of engines I have, I will likely just turn around and invest anything I get from selling stuff into a decent Nitro trainer. My next question is, do I keep these dozen or so engines I have, or should I just sell them to someone who might need them more than I do? I'm familiar with BNF/ARF/RTF/PNF and I'm leaning towards buying something that is BNF and buying a decent Tx that can grow and learn as I do.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:13 AM
  #7  
MurphyLong
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
MurphyLong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Another question, is there s spot on the forum where I could post pictures of all the engines and get some feedback on what they are, and if they're worth keeping/selling?
Old 08-29-2017, 06:41 AM
  #8  
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)
 
j.duncker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sailing in the Eastern Caribbean
Posts: 4,047
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

There is a dedicated glow engine forum Glow Engines - RCU Forums
They will soon tell you if you have a hidden gem. But I think the answer will be 20 -30 $ for the 2 st and a little more for the 4 st [ Orange fuz]

Your 72 meg gear will be fine, most clubs are still OK with it. New batteries would be good though if the old ones have been flat for a long time.

As others have said you should find someone to check them over for safety and then buddy box with you for a few flights. None of the models look extreme and look OK as a first nitro low winger. IMHO though the chance of a low airtime pilot with only foamy experience getting them off the ground and back down to a safe landing is almost zero.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:11 AM
  #9  
MurphyLong
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
MurphyLong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by j.duncker View Post
There is a dedicated glow engine forum Glow Engines - RCU Forums
They will soon tell you if you have a hidden gem. But I think the answer will be 20 -30 $ for the 2 st and a little more for the 4 st [ Orange fuz]

Your 72 meg gear will be fine, most clubs are still OK with it. New batteries would be good though if the old ones have been flat for a long time.

As others have said you should find someone to check them over for safety and then buddy box with you for a few flights. None of the models look extreme and look OK as a first nitro low winger. IMHO though the chance of a low airtime pilot with only foamy experience getting them off the ground and back down to a safe landing is almost zero.
Thanks for that link, I'll try to get all my engines posted up there for identification tonight!

Even if I get $20-$30 per engine on the 2st, I have near a dozen of them, and a few 4st engines, all in plastic bags. If I sell most everything off, and get enough for an Avistar Elite or some other decent trainer, I'll be happy. In fact, it was a NexSTAR .40 that I flew in the past. I was able to take off, flew a few figure 8's, and brought it back in for a decent landing. I've got maybe 8 cumulative hours of Nitro flight, which is still not enough for me to be comfortable. (Even with no crashes.) The learning curve for me was that it was noticeably faster than the EP Foam stuff I was used to, needed more room for T/O and landing.

Do you guys think it would be better to remove the engines from the planes I have, and just sell them like that, or try to sell the assembled planes locally with engines, servos, etc? Since I'll probably order something RTF, are the Futaba Txs I have worth selling, or should I just junk em? (They do power on, but I haven't tested them beyond that.)
Old 08-29-2017, 12:25 PM
  #10  
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)
 
j.duncker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sailing in the Eastern Caribbean
Posts: 4,047
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

72 meg gear while useable has little value except as part of a buddy box system.

You will probably get more by piecing out the planes but is it worth the time and the hassle.

If you are interested in flying then fly these they look OK to me.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:00 PM
  #11  
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)
 
flyboy2610's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 565
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

I may be interested in the Futaba 6x. You can PM or email the details. Shipping to 68503.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:05 PM
  #12  
MurphyLong
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
MurphyLong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by flyboy2610 View Post
I may be interested in the Futaba 6x. You can PM or email the details. Shipping to 68503.
It's not the 6x, it's TX6A. Old and basic.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:14 PM
  #13  
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)
 
flyboy2610's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 565
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

The one with the flap knob on the upper left? How much are you looking to get for it?
Old 08-29-2017, 07:18 PM
  #14  
jester_s1
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 7,179
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

The best investment you can make is joining a club. Since you've already been flying, you probably will find the transition pretty easy. Of course, if you are still choosing planes based on what crashes well, maybe you won't.

In addition to experienced pilots to learn from, you also get a proper flying site from a club. You didn't mention your current situation, but most parks aren't big enough to fly glow planes in. Even if they are, the prospect of someone walking under your flying area is so unsafe. Add to that the chances of ripping out a landing gear on an unimproved surface and any legal issues and it all adds up to a bad idea.

I think you're on the right track for starting the restoration. Your engines will probably be stuck with castor gum. 3-4 days soaking in fuel will loosen them up, or you can use a Crock Pot. Do a search for it here on RCU for details. I'd definitely replace the radio gear and batteries, maybe also the servos depending on how it all was stored. After that, you'll need to do a thorough inspection on the covering and look for any glue joints that aren't holding up or old damage that was never fixed.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:07 AM
  #15  
MurphyLong
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
MurphyLong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jester_s1 View Post
The best investment you can make is joining a club. Since you've already been flying, you probably will find the transition pretty easy. Of course, if you are still choosing planes based on what crashes well, maybe you won't.

In addition to experienced pilots to learn from, you also get a proper flying site from a club. You didn't mention your current situation, but most parks aren't big enough to fly glow planes in. Even if they are, the prospect of someone walking under your flying area is so unsafe. Add to that the chances of ripping out a landing gear on an unimproved surface and any legal issues and it all adds up to a bad idea.

I think you're on the right track for starting the restoration. Your engines will probably be stuck with castor gum. 3-4 days soaking in fuel will loosen them up, or you can use a Crock Pot. Do a search for it here on RCU for details. I'd definitely replace the radio gear and batteries, maybe also the servos depending on how it all was stored. After that, you'll need to do a thorough inspection on the covering and look for any glue joints that aren't holding up or old damage that was never fixed.

Well, I went through all the engines last night, and they all look great inside, turn freely with the plug removed, and compression feels solid with the plug in. I'm sure the carbs will need to be cleaned and whatnot, but I did in fact link up with a local club, chatted with some members, and there is a field here and they not only allow glow planes, but there are some guys flying HUGE ones... With that said, I've decided I'll likely stick with Electric planes, if for nothing more than the simplicity.

The engines I have are as follows:

O.S. Max FX 30
O.S. Max FX 46 (x2)
O.S. MAX FP 60 (x2)
Super Tigre 40
Magnum XL 30 (and a 70)
O.S. Surpass 70
GMS 2000

I can't post links yet, but this is an album of most of the engines:

amazon dotcom/photos/share/6IqLV6S2MAx0jaG5QpRd3xvWjvyOWtyr74d7F8KA2T4
Old 08-30-2017, 05:47 PM
  #16  
jester_s1
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 7,179
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

I'm glad you hooked up with some good people.

There's nothing in your engine list that's collectable or particularly sought after. I'd expect you to get in the $250 range selling them all if you're patient enough to wait for the right buyer. If you're not patient, have a look at completed Ebay listings to see what they'll bring there.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:50 AM
  #17  
MurphyLong
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
MurphyLong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jester_s1 View Post
I'm glad you hooked up with some good people.

There's nothing in your engine list that's collectable or particularly sought after. I'd expect you to get in the $250 range selling them all if you're patient enough to wait for the right buyer. If you're not patient, have a look at completed Ebay listings to see what they'll bring there.
If I get enough out of selling everything to get an electric RTF setup, or at least close, I'll be happy. So, when it comes to cleaning the outside of the engines, I was going to use Simple Green and a toothbrush, then rinse, dry with compressed air, and a light coat of WD40. Is there anything in that I shouldn't do? All the internals that I can see through the plug holes look shiny and new.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:39 AM
  #18  
jester_s1
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 7,179
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

You're likely to do more damage than good that way. Never disassemble an engine more than you need to. Every time you pull out the crank, you have to replace the bearings as they can't handle the side forces you'll put on them.

The best way is to remove all o rings and let them simmer in a crockpot of ethelene glycol antifreeze overnight. Take off the carb, head, and backplate and soak them too. That will take all of the old varnish off and let you get an honest evaluation of the bearings and sleeve. Then replace all the o rings with new ones, which really needs to be done every year or so anyway. A different option that I've used successfully before is to soak them in fuel with the aforementioned items removed and turn the crank and carb barrel a few turns every day to break up the dissolving varnish. When you are done, you'll probably still need to clean the spraybar in the carb. Then it's still good practice to replace o rings, and maybe the backplate gasket.

It's up to you whether the effort is worth it or not, but doing the above will get the engines ready to run, which lets you tell buyers that they do indeed work.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:12 PM
  #19  
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)
 
Broken Wings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cocoa, FL
Posts: 2,085
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MurphyLong View Post
While I appreciate the show of bravado and blind encouragement, I'm not in the habit of destroying things, and that's what would happen, quite quickly I might add.



I prefer Nitro, just don't have as much time flying them as I wish I did. I have been trying to find some people locally who fly, but not much luck so far. As for the batteries, I would definitely be replacing them, since the ones I was given are at least 2 years old. I'll probably take them all to Batteries Plus for disposal after this tropical storm.

It's a given that upgrading to 2.4 would warrant changes on the Rx as well, just not sure if 72mhz is even a viable frequency or not.






Yeah, when I first started with the LiPo Foamies, the first 2 were pushers, and I pushed them straight into the ground. Went and bought a more "plane-like" park flyer, and things were MUCH more manageable. Turning off the "nanny" mode on the plane actually made it easier to fly, the only issue I had when I stopped flying was that I had nowhere decent to land, it was grass or gravel, so I had to learn how to "plop" it at the lowest speed possible to stop the gear from catching grass and planting the prop. Now there's a 1/4 mile long paved road in front of the house with virtually no traffic, so I will have a much easier time with landing...


I appreciate all of the input so far, and I'm thinking I may just offer up the planes for sale somewhere, to someone who may want them, I just don't know how to even value them.

With the surplus of engines I have, I will likely just turn around and invest anything I get from selling stuff into a decent Nitro trainer. My next question is, do I keep these dozen or so engines I have, or should I just sell them to someone who might need them more than I do? I'm familiar with BNF/ARF/RTF/PNF and I'm leaning towards buying something that is BNF and buying a decent Tx that can grow and learn as I do.
You'll be fine. Take the plane that you like the most and save it for last. You can already fly....you know how the controls work, you've already flown your friends trainer (which in my opinion don't fly that great at any speed, as they tend to hunt) the low wing models are point and shoot. They go where you point them. Take the model that you like the least and just make sure it's flight worthy. Taxi it around the field for a tank of fuel, get the feel of it. If you're worried about it being too fast put a low pitch propeller on the engine.

You've been given a gift, don't sell it off, use it.

​​​​​​I still roll up a kitchen trash bag and wrap a rubber band around it and tape it inside all of my models....saves me trip.

I say Go For It!!!!!
Old 09-05-2017, 10:24 PM
  #20  
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)
 
Broken Wings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cocoa, FL
Posts: 2,085
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MurphyLong View Post
Well, I went through all the engines last night, and they all look great inside, turn freely with the plug removed, and compression feels solid with the plug in. I'm sure the carbs will need to be cleaned and whatnot, but I did in fact link up with a local club, chatted with some members, and there is a field here and they not only allow glow planes, but there are some guys flying HUGE ones... With that said, I've decided I'll likely stick with Electric planes, if for nothing more than the simplicity.

The engines I have are as follows:

O.S. Max FX 30
O.S. Max FX 46 (x2)
O.S. MAX FP 60 (x2)
Super Tigre 40
Magnum XL 30 (and a 70)
O.S. Surpass 70
GMS 2000

I can't post links yet, but this is an album of most of the engines:

amazon dotcom/photos/share/6IqLV6S2MAx0jaG5QpRd3xvWjvyOWtyr74d7F8KA2T4

Don't sell those engines! USE THEM, they're all Great Engines and you've been given an opportunity to learn a completely new aspect of our great hobby. Glow Engines made it all possible. Don't deny yourself the sound and the smell of a good two stroke at full song. Castor Oil on your hands, a 15 minute flight on a tank of fuel. Even if you decide later on that you don't like flying glow at least you'll why....

What do you have to lose?
Old 09-05-2017, 10:35 PM
  #21  
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)
 
Broken Wings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cocoa, FL
Posts: 2,085
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MurphyLong View Post
Hey all, I've flown Foam trainers for a few years now, just because they're simple, rugged, and cheap to replace when they crash. I recently inherited a pile of Nitro RC Plane "stuff," and I'm not even sure where to start with it all.

I have 4 planes that all seem to be complete, 2 transmitters (Futaba T9CAP and TX6a I think is what they are) which seem pretty old, albeit complex, a milk crate full of motors, and a bin of odds & ends including servos, wheels, etc.

Well,, I've flown a friend's Nitro plane before, but it was just a basic .40 Trainer, and everything I have is a low-wing plane. From what I understand, these are more "nimble" and not as forgiving, is that correct? Also, the planes all have motors on them, and with the ones in the crate, it looks like a mix of .40-.60 sizes, both 2 and 4 stroke O.S. engines. The only person I know personally who flies would be my uncle who's in Upsate NY, and I'm in NC, so our communications are few and far between.

If anyone would like to chime in and give pointers on where to start, this is my tentative plan in no particular order:

Clean everything. There's a bit of dust.
Buy new Tx/Rx, what I have is "dated." Look for 2.4ghz instead of 72mhz?
Clean, test, and tune all engines.
Test all servos.
Update the field box to something with a battery for electric start, instead of just a start stick.

Once I've done all that, I figured I would just drive the planes up and down the road for a bit until I get comfortable with how everything handles, then work on take-offs and landings, touch-and-go's, etc.

Sorry for the subpar pictures, but this is when everything was picked up, I blacked out planes that I didn't take, but it shows the planes themselves. (The wings were on a storage rack, not shown.)

Attachment 2229709Attachment 2229710Attachment 2229711Attachment 2229712


Now, all the planes seem in good shape, but I wonder if it's better to just buy a new ARF/BNF kit, and keep the motors. I've never been big on building planes or dealing with Monokote, so if any of these crash, it will be their final flights.
Come On Murph, There's not ONE PERSON HERE that HASN'T crashed a model airplane. Ya think the new ARF/BNF is immune to crashing?......patch up what you've got and get out there and fly! If at first you don't succeed.....
Old 09-05-2017, 10:48 PM
  #22  
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)
 
Broken Wings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cocoa, FL
Posts: 2,085
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by j.duncker View Post
72 meg gear while useable has little value except as part of a buddy box system.

You will probably get more by piecing out the planes but is it worth the time and the hassle.

If you are interested in flying then fly these they look OK to me.
He's got everything he needs, fuel pump, starter, a box of props, an ACE BINGO, with what looks like a Tower Hobbies engine on it. A SIG Four Star 60 , EXCELLENT AIRPLANE. Two OS FP-60's that will NEVER EVERY need to have their bearings replaced.....I'd be willing to bet that the engines are already turned and that they'll run just fine with a cleaned out fuel tank and a fresh glow plug.

Go For It Murphy. You'll be just fine.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:53 PM
  #23  
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)
 
Broken Wings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cocoa, FL
Posts: 2,085
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by flyboy2610 View Post
The one with the flap knob on the upper left? How much are you looking to get for it?
Oh, the little OS FS 30 FOUR STOKE, that are going for at least $100 on *bay? That one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OS-FS-30S-Fo...AAAOSw3ntZkBB7

Last edited by Broken Wings; 09-05-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:59 PM
  #24  
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)
 
Broken Wings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cocoa, FL
Posts: 2,085
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
I agree. Even taxiing them in the street could lead to disaster. Like you, I feel that finding local, experienced help is the prudent way forward.
Leave the wing off the model and take them to the field. Taxi with the wing off. Learn how it it steers. Feel the way the throttle works, ....
Old 09-05-2017, 11:23 PM
  #25  
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)
 
Broken Wings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cocoa, FL
Posts: 2,085
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MurphyLong View Post
Another question, is there s spot on the forum where I could post pictures of all the engines and get some feedback on what they are, and if they're worth keeping/selling?
Yes, Yes there is. Right here on RC UNIVERSE there is a user review section and product guide. You can look up each one of your engines and get real reviews from real users as well as what the street price was and what they sold for when they were new. You can also look up the airplanes that you have.

Did you know that the SIG Four Star 60 is one of the TOP RATED airplanes and that you can buy a wing kit or a fuselage kit or other "parts" for this airplane if they get broken? Look it up.....(Smiles)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...cfm?kit_id=244

Product Guide: Glow, Gas and Turbine Engines & Electric Motors for Radio Control Airplanes, Cars, Jets, Trucks and Boats

Last edited by Broken Wings; 09-05-2017 at 11:27 PM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.