Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Best Plane For Rough Terrain?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Best Plane For Rough Terrain?

Old 10-29-2017, 04:59 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Best Plane For Rough Terrain?

I have a huge farming field I can fly at and was wondering kind of plane would be the best for the rough terrain? The field has the crop rows and I am thinking a glider would be a good choice because of the belly landings and because its usually quite windy there. I prefer glow power but am open to EP as well. Any other ideas?
I found a Cox Sportavia with the small glowie for sale near me. Does anyone know about this plane?

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 10-29-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:49 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1/2A planes are great for rough fields because they are hand launched and belly land. No landing gear required.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:14 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An EP motorised glider with the motor mounted in a pod above the wing would be my recommendation. Vendors like Hobbyking usually have stock and sometimes spare parts..

A balsa and ply conventional glider with an engine in a pod would work too but will be considerably more likely to get damaged in bad landings.Many people have learned on a Carl Goldberg gentle Lady with a Cox 049 in a powerpod.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:33 AM
mgnostic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like a lot of things, it depends. A hay field is pretty gentle for any kind of airplane that can tolerate a belly landing. Cotton stalks on the other hand will tear up any thing. I have had success with the Gentle Lady/.049 combo even to the point of sticking a small landing gear on the plane. The Sportavia may be getting a little long in the tooth if it is an original Cox model. But if you like 1/2 A and it's cheap, go for it. The down side to powered gliders/sailplanes and 1/2 a is that the wind is likely to be an issue. Another option is to go for durability. There are people who are still into the SPAD designs (Simple Plastic Airplane Design). There was a lot of enthusiasm for these some years back and I think the combat fliers are still using them to some degree. They use non traditional materials like coroplast and PVC gutter pipe to build an almost indestructible plane. They aren't very pretty but they go together quickly, don't cost much and fly pretty well. An ep solution is the foamboard F-22. They don't do wind well but they are super cheap, can fly almost anywhere and land slowly enough that they can park almost anywhere. They are my current pasture flyer after I sold off my eflite F4F wildcat. I think they are OOP but you can probably find one on the net. It was a very nice flyer and landed on a plastic belly pan. If you don't mind building the 1/12 scale combat planes were mostly made for belly landings and with their heavier wing loading will handle more wind than a lot of small models. Just to complicate things a little, the Sportavia, if still in the box or in good condition may be worth more as a collectible.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:13 AM
hsukaria

We fly the RA Cores Gremlins in the winter in our field. They can handle the wind and rough field and snow also. It is not a beginners plane for flying but is easy and cheap to build. There is also a miniGremlin if you want electric but will be more sensitive to windy conditions.

RA Cores - Selling Fun Since 1992
Old 10-30-2017, 12:19 PM
kevin002

If you can hand launch it, damage on landing can be minimized by gluing plastic strapping used for shipping on the bottom of the fuselage. It's is extremely durable, light and free if you or a friend works for a company with a loading dock or shipping department.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:54 PM
AllModesR/C

Default Great Leads

The Sportavia looks like it sat in the garage for the last two decades so it isn't a collector's specimen. Here is the link to the ad, tell me what you guys think. Seller says it needs a fuel tank, are they hard to source or would a generic one work? Also, do these tiny Cox engines have a controlled throttle or is it one of those all or nothing deals.
https://madison.craigslist.org/tag/d...320922507.html

I also found a new in box Multiplex Easy Star for sale by me. It has an electric motor mounted in a pod about the wing. Are these 4 vhannel planes and do they take regular or mini size servos? Thanks for the great advice everyone.

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 11-04-2017 at 05:39 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:51 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Unlike wine, age is not kind to cox planes that have been flown. The plastic becomes brittle and one bad landing might be the end of it..
Fuel tanks are still available though . That engine was started, tuned for open throttle and you flew the plane around or climbed until the fuel ran out and then glided around. It only has rudder and elevator control.

Are you referring to the Multiplex Easy Star? The Multiplex plane is a good choice as they are made of some very tough foam. However you would have to provide the motor, system (motor & speed control (ESC)), and servos. As well as the radio gear , battery and charger.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...-kit-mpu214260

Here is a good choice. You would need a Spektrum radio , a 3-cell 2200 battery and charger:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/radian-bnf-basic-efl4750
Old 10-31-2017, 05:57 AM
j.duncker

The Cox 049 can be a wonderful little engine but the throttle variant is rare. They can be a little finicky on fuel. There are alternative 'nitro' engines with a throttle that can be used in a powerpod on a glider of at least 72 inch span. The OS Max 10 would be my first choice.

However I still think that a motorized EP foam glider [ the bigger the better at least 48 inch span ] will give you more flying time with less hassle.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:18 AM
mgnostic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After looking at the add, I would say that $50 is way too much. If you do go for it, make sure that the batteries in the transmitter haven't leaked and ruined the wiring. Given that it is a Cox tank mount (The fuel tank is the back part of the motor) you probably don't need a fuel tank. It probably does need a good cleaning up if it has ever been run but the gaskets and the little bit of fuel line that is in the back of the tank are available. Cox motors have their quirks but once you get past that you can get a lot of flights out of a pint of fuel. BTW that can of fuel in the add is probably only good for use as a cleaning solvent for the engine by now. I'm presuming that you haven't had a lot of time with 1/2A The 1/2 A threads on this forum have a lot of info on the Cox motor.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:49 PM
jester_s1

It all depends on your experience. A Stryker is tailor made for that kind of flying, durable with no landing gear. But it's too fast for beginners. Ditto for some of the hand launched EDF jets. Gliders are great if you really want to fly gliders. They suck if you don't like flying gliders. For a common powered option, any of the planes designed for RC combat would do well. There are traditional "sport" type planes all the way to decent looking WWII planes made for scale combat. None have landing gears and all are made to take a beating.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:28 AM
AllModesR/C

I have about 50 flights of experience but have not flown for 7 months. I've never flown a glider, what are they like?

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 11-18-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:13 AM
j.duncker

A glider will be a little slower than a typical trainer type model. It will also take a little longer to respond to a rudder input.

A good beginners glider like a Gentle Lady will recover into level flight from any position if you just release the controls.[ Assuming you have enough height ]
Old 11-01-2017, 11:20 AM
raptureboy

Any plane made out of EPP foam will take a licking and keep on ticking they are nearly impossible to destroy. Any of flat ones made by Hacker, etc. are easy to launch right out of your hand and are just plain fun.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:39 AM
AllModesR/C

Does anyone know if the Multiplex Easy Star takes regular or micro servos? I have a bunch of standard size servos laying around that I could use.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:45 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Micro size , like the HS-55.

Multiplex Easy Star II | HITEC RCD USA
Old 11-05-2017, 04:03 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

A decent electric power glider would be about right for my way of thinking, try for one that is not intended for soaring, they are slow and a little hard to control in wind. I have a Calypso from Tower it should be about right for what you want...........
Old 11-06-2017, 11:26 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about the Bixler which is the same airplane as the one mentioned above, the Bixler is sold by Hobby King, around $85 and it comes with the servos already installed, you will need at least two 2200 LIPOs, a speed control ( the sell a few for around $10 ) and your receiver or you can get a radio system for like $35.

I had one for 5 years and gave it to a friend he still has it.
Google this: Sky Surfer - aka Bixler mods.

One of the mods is to remove the 3 washers from the nose with hot water, now can use the 2200 LIPOs instead of tbe 1300, and CG is the same right over the spar.

Last edited by CARS II; 11-06-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:25 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

CARS About the same and I like your idea of the larger battery at no increase in weight.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:04 PM
CLBAKER

I have a Tower Hobby EP Vista and it is a good flyer in wind up to 20 mph. It's a powered sail plane and I have over 80 flights on it . I striped the covering on the bottom of the fuselage and added a piece of lite ply to the forward section of the plane to act as a skid plate for landing on the ground. At 1/3 throttle it will fly for about 10 to 12 minutes or take it up ,cut the power and it will glide for a long time 30 plus minutes.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:28 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want a conventional plane get the E-Flite Carbon Z Cub and order the Dubro 1/3 scale wheels to do with it. Easy airplane to fly and handles the rough terrain like a champ.

if you want something with a gas engine that is easy to fly, get a 30cc Valiant, and order Dubro 6" balloon tires with it.

I had them for years I literally fly them anywhere.

Last edited by Desertlakesflying; 01-17-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:36 PM
steph69

Have a look at the durafly tundra cheap and bullet proof and an easy flyer
Old 01-11-2018, 01:12 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

I have seen some fields that are not that bad once the crops are off. Got any pictures of the field and how rough it is????? Put something down so we can see the size of the rows. I prefer a tail dragger with large tundra tires. Kit built because I can strengthen any weak spots I see. My favourite is a Telemaster 40 with something like a 50/60 four stroke and flaps.

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 01-11-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:50 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Radian just a regular one not the pro as much
Tundra
mosts Flitetest.com planes
any foamy DELTA especially mid prop models such as the https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...erobatic-video