Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How would you?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How would you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 10:20 AM
swampyankee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How would you?

Attach the wings to the fuselage in the configuration pictured.There is a second aluminum tube aft of the one pictured, an upgrade to the kit I think. Thanks.
This picture is from the web site of Fokke RC.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:23 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

If I am right, that wing has an upper and lower FG skin that's attached to a wood structure. If you have to assemble the wood structure, I'd replace all of the ribs that are to contact the rear tube and replace them with reworked ribs. Baring that, I'd install thin plywood doublers to the outside face of the affected ribs since you have the room to slide them through the structure.

UPDATE:
Just went to their website and found the structure is actually an interlocking design with the skin attached to it as I had thought. That makes changing out the ribs an easy task. I'd look at the inboard ribs closely to verify that they don't already have the modifications needed to install the tubes. If the modification is there, it's just a matter of assembling the wings. If the modification isn't there, you will need to replace the ribs. Just be sure to use material of the same type and thickness so everything still fits together properly

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 08-16-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:03 PM
swampyankee

I think my question may have been as clear as mud.
What would be the best way to affix the wing to the fuselage? I know with some wing structures a wooden dowel at the front of the wing and a nylon bolt at the rear is the way to go. But as can be seen this isn't set up for that method.
Here is a picture showing the wing to fuselage relationship. At the wing root I would think a nut and bolt would secure the wing to the fuse, but I don't know if this is the best method.

Again picture is from the Fokke RC web site.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:09 PM
Hydro Junkie

Okay, that's a different animal than what I was thinking you were asking. I'd use stainless anchor nuts mounted in the wing's inner rib and nylon screws with the screws running through brass or aluminum tubing. That would be simple, strong and would prevent crushing of the structure while holding the wing tight against the wing root
Old 08-16-2018, 05:38 PM
swampyankee

2 for each wing? 1 fore 1 aft?
Old 08-16-2018, 05:49 PM
Hydro Junkie

Yes, I would do it with two nylon bolts per wing. My reasoning is it would hold the wing tighter than one in the rear as well as take some of the stress off the tube. It would also give you some redundancy in case one of the screws fails. IF you want, you can also install a dowel pin in each wing to prevent the wing from trying to rotate through the screws
Old 08-16-2018, 06:13 PM
swampyankee

In the interest of storage I'm guessing the bolts will require their own hatches in order to facilitate removing the wings. Or some other clever bit of work like going through the cockpit area..
Very helpful information, thanks.